• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Honda puzzled by recurring failures with F1 engine at Bahrain GP

Honda has identified a recurring MGU-H problem as the reason Fernando Alonso's engine failed in qualifying for the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Alonso escaped Q1 and felt 13th or 14th on the grid was possible, but he ended up 15th after failing to complete a lap in Q2 because of the engine problem, and will require a new engine for the race.

Autosport understands the MGU-H failure sent debris into the internal combustion engine and also damaged that beyond repair.

Alonso's failure follows two terminal MGU-H problems for team-mate Stoffel Vandoorne that occurred in Friday practice.

A new unit failed in the first session, and a replacement unit that was run in March's Australian Grand Prix broke in FP2.

Honda motorsport chief Yusuke Hasegawa said the Japanese manufacturer has yet to fully understand the reasons, or why these failures have occurred suddenly in Bahrain.

"Possibly because the temperatures are very high."

Hasegawa expressed confidence the McLaren-Hondas will finish Sunday's race, given Alonso will start with a new MGU-H and Vandoorne's unit is still at low mileage.

However, there are concerns within McLaren that the MGU-H problem will recur in the race.

When asked to comment on the performance of the Honda engine, Alonso said the lack of reliability made this a pointless exercise.

"There is no point for us talking driveability," said Alonso, who later engaged in a serious private discussion with Hasegawa in the McLaren team offices.

Lima

What kind of incompetent team is working on this engine man. How do they not even fully understand what's going on when tomorrow will be the 3rd DNF in a row lol.

BigAl1992

Well if the temperature in the engine is too high, then by that point it's too bloody late to save it, in the case of an F1 engine. How they could not foresee this and every other problem they've had by ditching the design from last year that they could've improved upon is beyond me.

Yagami_Sama

Honda situation is just getting worse. I might my impression, but sometimes I think that they are clueless and don't have any idea of what to do to improve their engine performance.

Maybe if McLaren start developing his own engine they might be in a better position.

Megasoum

Banned
Ugh... The constant boner for Stroll that the local French Canadian broadcast (RDS) has is so fucking annoying.

Listening to them it sounds like Stroll is fighting Hamilton and Vettel in those qualifications lol.

Razgreez

Ugh... The constant boner for Stroll that the local French Canadian broadcast (RDS) has is so fucking annoying.

Listening to them it sounds like Stroll is fighting Hamilton and Vettel in those qualifications lol.

That's to be expected. The last few years we got BBC coverage here and this year we've got sky. I don't recall ever having so much coverage/time dedicated to mentioning Palmer on BBC as there is on sky though

Megasoum

Banned
That's to be expected. The last few years we got BBC coverage here and this year we've got sky. I don't recall ever having so much coverage/time dedicated to mentioning Palmer on BBC as there is on sky though

Yeah I remember that too lol... Jaylon who? lol

DBT85

Consider for a second that Alonso has a better chance of scoring points in a race if he were to start on the grid with a Honda Jazz than he does in his actual F1 car, simply because the Jazz will get to the end of the race.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
What kind of incompetent team is working on this engine man. How do they not even fully understand what's going on when tomorrow will be the 3rd DNF in a row lol.
They remind me on top people in company where I work

100% chance that Alonso brings up how awesome his Honda power unit is at Indy. Sigh, I was a fool 3 years ago for thinking that Honda's work with low displacement V6 turbos for IndyCar would help them make a current F1 engine.

100% chance that Alonso brings up how awesome his Honda power unit is at Indy. Sigh, I was a fool 3 years ago for thinking that Honda's work with low displacement V6 turbos for IndyCar would help them make a current F1 engine.

The Japanese are just so stubborn, its in their psyche. The didnt want to poach anyone from rival teams, even though thats what Ferarri and Renault have done in order to catch up to Merc. Problem is by the time this engine is up to par a new spec will be introuduced (2021).

Well, the joke is that Ron Dennis blocked a possible Honda deal with Red Bull.

Now Honda is stuck with just the data of one team for the near future.

Tubie

The Japanese are just so stubborn, its in their psyche. The didnt want to poach anyone from rival teams, even though thats what Ferarri and Renault have done in order to catch up to Merc. Problem is by the time this engine is up to par a new spec will be introuduced (2021).

Talking of future engine revisions, I hope they go back to NA V8s, but with all the hybrid advances they've made with these engines.

(I have no idea if that is possible, just wishful thinking of louder F1 engines)

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Eh...I always feel like Sky's coverage of Palmer feels like an obligation.

Kinda like how the crowd at Silverstone feel the need to give him a golf clap on his installation lap.

Zaru

4d chess, he's trying to make his rivals think that he's distracted again.

Side note, I still chuckle over the fact that Lewis' teammate was called Nico Rosberg, his on-off girlfriend was called Nicole and he has a dog called Roscoe, plus he has siblings called Nicolas and Nicola.

I mean how does that even happen.

Talking of future engine revisions, I hope they go back to NA V8s, but with all the hybrid advances they've made with these engines.

(I have no idea if that is possible, just wishful thinking of louder F1 engines)

I dont see why they couldnt go with hybrid V8s. The issues would be if were getting 1000bhp with these tiny V6s then the V8s would be pushing 1500 and that would be too much for tyres etc.

I think they will stay with the v6 teamed with hybrid tech because thats the only reason Honda etc have rejoined F1. Road cars are going in that direction and there is a chance another manufacturer could join which would be goodfor everybody. But it will be reworked and simplified to reduce cost.

I seem to remember reading sth. about them possibly going to V4s to attract VW.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's hotter than they'd like, and Merc has a crazy quali-only engine mode.

The race will be much more interesting, especially if Vettel gets a good start.

Wonder if they should have some regs requiring you to run the engine in the same mode that you did your best Q3 time in - bit like you starting in Q2 tyres. Might discourage artificial qualy modes

Wonder if they should have some regs requiring you to run the engine in the same mode that you did your best Q3 time in - bit like you starting in Q2 tyres. Might discourage artificial qualy modes

For what purpose though?

I wish teams could use DRS all the time in qualifying again.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Side note, I still chuckle over the fact that Lewis' teammate was called Nico Rosberg, his on-off girlfriend was called Nicole and he has a dog called Roscoe, plus he has siblings called Nicolas and Nicola.

I mean how does that even happen.

He will probably title his musical album I.C.O.N.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think Renault is pretty much Alonso's only option aside from staying with McLaren. Merc won't put him next to Lewis. Vettel definitely won't have him and RIC and VER are sticking with RBR and even if one of them leaves for one of the other top teams, they will be more likely to call up Sainz.

I think Renault is already showing great improvement, and they continue to recruit more top staff, it wouldn't be the worst thing I think.

Waiting for Honda to get its shit together is gonna pay off eventually, but I have been thinking that for three years now and all they do is go backwards.

Xando

Well they need to get rid of Palmer somehow, and their car is on the up and up, so they could do with someone experienced in the car with Hulk, assuming he's still there next year.

Yeah according to the article they eye a possible win next season and want to compete for the WDC in 2019.

Hulk and Alonso seems to be their best possible pairing.

tomtom94

Yeah, the only thing I could see being a problem is Alonso's salary demands but considering it will give them the chance to say "Alonso back where he won two WDCs!" sponsorship would mitigate that somewhat you'd have to think.

I think Merc would put him next to Lewis in a heartbeat. They enquired about him when Nico buggered off. He just couldn't break his Honda contract.

I know him and Lewis had issues at McLaren, but thats was nearly 10 years ago when Lewis was a rookie. The respect between the two now is much higher. They are also a lot more mature.

I think that would be a dream pairing. Fiesty for sure. But we know Alonso is the best driver on that grid. I want to see him in the best car alongside another great of the sport. He can only do that at Mercedes.

xrnzaaas

Betting on what Alonso does next is impossible. He may move to Renault, leave F1 or even stay with McLaren for another year if they'll sweeten up the deal by allowing him more side gigs (and raising his salary ;)).

Mastah

FIA Formula 2‏ @FIA_F2 3m3 minutes ago

Unfortunately for @Nobu_Mat13 @ARTGP mechanical gremlins mean he is not in the startin grid #F2

Guess which power unit manufacturer supports this Japanese driver, lol.

Nevasleep

Slight OT, but just saw a nasty crash in BTCC/Ford Formula 4, onboard camera while they went into the back of I believe a stationary F4 car.

DBT85

But nobody runs in the race in their quali mode. Merc just have a better quali mode and all the cars have several.

If you want to limit it then only allow them a rain mode and a race mode. It's more stuff that fans can't see that does nothing for the show.

Mastah

The air ambulance has only just landed near the crash scene and Billy Monger hasn't been extracted from the car yet.

It doesn't look good I'm afraid.

Well, it depends what you mean by not looking good. ITV reports he's concious, but still trapped in his car.

BigAl1992

Fucking hell, hopefully they're both ok.

Monger's legs are probably broken from that impact, a la Schumacher when he crashed at Silverstone in 1999. That could be why he's still in the car, as I saw that crash and he was clearly moving his head around.

DBT85

The cell could have saved his legs (they're safer now than 15 years ago) but it's trapped him in there.

I'll not play the usual guessing game, just hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom