• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

What's with the critics and this game? I'm sitting here scratching my head after listening to Garnett Lee talk about it on his podcast. According to him, it's not even open world. And the controls are bad and very slippery. I'm kind of flabbergasted.

Dave_6

Infected and King are a blast. Need to play some more of those tonight even though I'm not through with SP yet.

What's with the critics and this game? I'm sitting here scratching my head after listening to Garnett Lee talk about it on his podcast. According to him, it's not even open world. And the controls are bad and very slippery. I'm kind of flabbergasted.

Is he an employee of Vox Media? Because they're pretty much the only people who didn't like the game, presumably considering the Internet Explorer money.

Is he an employee of Vox Media? Because they're pretty much the only people who didn't like the game, presumably considering the Internet Explorer money.
Oh ok. I don't really follow game reviews anymore. I was under the assumption the game had been getting mediocre reviews. But I'm glad to be wrong.

Seriously? He's nuts.

Its not as open as TDU, but its pretty damn open. And the only control problem I have is with braking. Its pretty close to all-or-nothing on the trigger, so I always see my ABS light up even when being very gentle.

But that's it.

KePoW

Banned
And, you know what would be nice? One of these:

iSw71QFQFW3hi.png

Wtf... is this photoshop, or is this really in F4?

RawNuts

Just beat Flynt in an epic race.

iFugODZxmfVSC.png

Going around tying up loose ends now, racing the events I have left and looking for 6 more discount signs. Also buying all of my favorite cars now that I'm crazy rich and upgrading them so they're fun to drive; I want to have a nice selection of cars in each class for multiplayer stuff. I'll also be trying my hand at setting good rivals times and speed trap scores.

Some of the most fun I've had in the game is doing the PR stunts, street races, and party modes online. I really enjoyed Cat & Mouse in Dirt 3, and hated it in Forza 4; it's a lot better in here than it was in 4, though it's harder to stop the mouse as you can't fishtail their car as easily. Infection is also fantastic in these little open areas rather than in 4 where you would have those slow chases through quicksand grass.

The PR photo shoots set you up for really nice shots and takes you on a tour of the nicest areas.
ibx2WjGGrsz74Z.png

The F40 you win from this event is great; really responsive and just fun to drive.
ibo4Kt6DZAJXhl.png

i7LnV804foSBu.png

I really enjoy this game. I do miss some tuning options and drivetrain conversions, but overall I may dare say that I'm having even more fun with this than 4, which I played the hell out of.

Okay, since I am just a Co-Leader I cannot kick people. But I have recommended a lot of people for when H3RTZ gets on. Once we get those out, we will switch the club to invite only and get the rest of you in. As long as H3RTZ is cool with that.

The_Monk

With so many people getting the Wireless Wheel I'm getting curious and would like to try it but even if I ended up liking it's not a priority. And it seems there's a pack with Horizon and Sega Rally, nice.

And back to the game,here I go, I feel I battled hard for my Copy and it feels good in the end to be able to play.

Also, just got my Loyalty Cars, so awesome!

Okay, since I am just a Co-Leader I cannot kick people. But I have recommended a lot of people for when H3RTZ gets on. Once we get those out, we will switch the club to invite only and get the rest of you in. As long as H3RTZ is cool with that.

Thank you for your hard work man.

How many people here are playing on Hard?

I consider myself a pretty good driver, but Hard is... Hard.

I am a terrible driver but I love racing so I play on Medium with everything else OFF aside one thing (must check now, can't remember the proper name) My earning are at +65% I believe.

RawNuts

I started off that way, was getting a nice 130% bonus for my races overall. Some of the races really seem to ramp up in difficulty though, so there have been more than a few times where I lowered it to medium, especially if the event is in cars I don't care for (A-class FWD circuit race, really? With the amount of torque, it made it really hard to steer). I assume that you mean just the AI difficulty though.

I try some on insane as well, but you really have to get the course down to a science to win at that level.

sneaky77

That's just an assinine conspiracy theory imo.. but carry on i guess.

I heard what Garnett said, I don't agree with it, but its his opinion and he is entitled to it, based on the controller vs wheel I experienced on the demo I can see how is harder to judge traction on a contorller.

Yeah, I started there but have since kept it on Hard but lowered the AI to Medium.
I think I'll keep it on medium, but will disable rewinds. I've found myself relying upon it too much and it kills the tension. Even on medium some of the races can get crazy hard, especially the tight courses where half the problem is just trying to get any space to manuever.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

It is. The AI can be really aggressive sometimes, which is good obviously. Currently I have it on medium, but will ramp it up later.

@RawNuts and Nhl - great pics, guys!

I was looking forward to trying some smartglass on my WP7 tonight, as the app updated this morning, doesn't seem to work on this.
Anyone got it working on non W8, WP7 devices?

Snubbers

I was looking forward to trying some smartglass on my WP7 tonight, as the app updated this morning, doesn't seem to work on this.

I just realised the android app was released today, and I'm away for the weekend, be interesting to see if this game works with smartglass, want it supposed to be the first game to support it? I'll have to go do some research on this...

Some people have been using it on windows 8, displaying real time GPS information.
Just doesn't seem to be working on WP7 after the update, ach well.

U2NUMB

Some people have been using it on windows 8, displaying real time GPS information.
Just doesn't seem to be working on WP7 after the update, ach well.

Yep it is very slick. You can set waypoints via smartglass and they show up instantly in game without ever having to pull up the map. It has real time GPS also so you see your vehicle drive on your pc /tablet in real time. Very cool. Here is a crappy cell phone pick of my horizon map full screen on my laptop

edit: See below for photo.. :)

Someone in the Windows 8/RT thread installed smartglass on his laptop (Windows 8 exclusive) and I asked him to take a picture.
Yep.. sorry for the crappy phone image.. gonna link it since it is far too big to post.

WP_000377.jpg

In the top left are your controls including the icon to set a wayponit. If you hover over an event it gives you details before you click. And you are free to move around the map at any time.

and more impressions

Not at home so can't take screenshots / videos, but I played with this last night. It's pretty neat. It's basically identical to the in-game map, but you can have it up all the time. It shows your current location, where events are as well as highlighting your current route in green. It was actually pretty handy having it up so I knew where other events were without stopping and bringing up the map on the 360. I didn't notice any lag with it updating either.

It seems really neat.

e: Beaten

sneaky77

Yep it is very slick. You can set waypoints via smartglass and they show up instantly in game without ever having to pull up the map. It has real time GPS also so you see your vehicle drive on your pc /tablet in real time. Very cool. Here is a crappy cell phone pick of my horizon map full screen on my laptop

edit: See below for photo.. :)

That's a pretty awesome concept.

mrbaba

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread a few weeks ago, just had an hour or two with the single player. All I can say is it's great fun, off to play some more, see you online!

Lima

So I just bought the 2 hour popularity spike pack thing. Does anyone know what happens if I turn off my console now or in an hour? Will it save the time and still work when I turn it back on later?

Top Bottom