• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

This game really begins with the blue wristband races.

I'm having so much fun. Longer tracks, tougher races and gorgeous scenery. And the game rewards proper driving lines, hitting the apex and driving how one should.

I turned off traction control for the first time in a Forza game. And can you ever feel the difference between cars!

This game is awesome. Plain and simple.

This game really begins with the blue wristband races.

I'm having so much fun. Longer tracks, tougher races and gorgeous scenery. And the game rewards proper driving lines, hitting the apex and driving how one should.

I turned off traction control for the first time in a Forza game. And can you ever feel the difference between cars!

This game is awesome. Plain and simple.
I turned off the braking line for the first time in a Forza game. Haha. I had a ton of fun in Forza 4, but I couldn't compete in multiplayer because I always hit the brakes too early. I think I relied on the braking line too much and it broke me.

When I raced against her for her car, I had to retry twice because I completely missed some turns that I simply didn't pay any attention to. On the attempt that I beat her, she was at a complete standstill in the beginning. Absolutely no movement for the first few seconds. I ended up getting a 12 second lead on her at the first checkpoint so I just drove like a bitch and finished a couple seconds ahead. I thought that was pretty strange.

That happened to me too. I also mentioned on the last page that sometimes the AI cars will all turn at the start and just hit into each other. Once a car that was lined up in front of me decided to reverse when the race started, no bullshit.

I don't know if it's a bug or rubber banding.

ElyrionX

I am midway through the purple wristband and at this point, I'm ready to label this as racing game of the gen for me. The racing mechanics are such a perfect blend of realistic and arcade physics and the actual driving is an absolute blast. Somehow, the career mode is fairly compelling with many interesting races and the open world is beautiful.

I do have some complaints though:

1. Car list is not nearly as comprehensive as it should be given that the assets are already ready made from Forza 4. The nickel and diming through DLC and pre order bonuses is infuriating. How the hell can such a staple car like the VW GTI even be a preorder bonus? And what about the SLS and the 458?

2. Open world is not really open due to excessive amounts of rail barriers. Environments lack variety as well.

3. Sound mix is not great. Engine sounds are not prominent enough in most cases.

4. Skilk system is mostly lame and relies too much on chaining drifts. This is exposed by the terrible PR stunts that require you to rack up an insane amount of points in too short a time.

M.W.

It's weird, I'm playing on normal difficulty, but every race feels the same against the AI. The first lap I'm way behind, the 2nd lap I catch up a bit, and the third lap I gain the lead right away and finish first. Every time. There's no variance here. I know I'm playing on a "wussy" difficulty, but it feels very controlled as to what happens. Even during these "showdown" events...I can't lose. I was racing horribly and when it came down to the last stretch, the balloon/plane/etc. would just slow down and I'd win by a hair.

I guess I'll up the difficulty because normal is anything but.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
It's weird, I'm playing on normal difficulty, but every race feels the same against the AI. The first lap I'm way behind, the 2nd lap I catch up a bit, and the third lap I gain the lead right away and finish first. Every time. There's no variance here. I know I'm playing on a "wussy" difficulty, but it feels very controlled as to what happens. Even during these "showdown" events...I can't lose. I was racing horribly and when it came down to the last stretch, the balloon/plane/etc. would just slow down and I'd win by a hair.

I guess I'll up the difficulty because normal is anything but.

Exactly the same expience.

Except one race I had to drop to easy, I just couldn't win. Was a short circuit race with slow cars, same thing I struggled with in Forza 4.

frogg609

How do people just seemimgly skid into tight turns at 80 plus miles an hour? (Multiplayer C and B class). I definitely cant do that.

jcutner

8130023095_5bbe64a4c9_b.jpg

Shaneus

Those last three boxes just scream "sucker".

I have those as well :(

If anyone wants some fun, buy a Lancia Delta, upgrade the platform and handling completely, tweak the wheel sizes and add a power upgrade or two until you hit the B max. Such a fun car to drive... ridiculously low center of gravity.

Fletcher

This is possibly the funnest I've had with a racing game in a long time. I never really played the PGR games, but this is exactly how I want a racing game to feel/play.

Really good soundtrack, too.

tasos

A lot of people say this game reminds them of PGR . Is this true ? i'm a huge Gotham fan and wondering if i should buy Horizon .

Protip for photographers: I just noticed that you can "Replay" any stretch of time that you rewind even in free roam mode. You can move back/forward frame by frame if you want to find the perfect position to take a photo from. So if you do something really amazing while messing about in free roam, hit rewind and take a photo of it.

8130111463_f769832a79_c.jpg

Just hit 18,500 downloads on my paints lol Thank you very much for the support GAF, much appreciated. Also remember to rate paints when you get them, that helps :)

Will take a day off tomorrow and will get back to paint booth on Monday, just want to enjoy the game for a little bit :)

legbone

Just hit 18,500 downloads on my paints lol Thank you very much for the support GAF, much appreciated. Also remember to rate paints when you get them, that helps :)

Will take a day off tomorrow and will get back to paint booth on Monday, just want to enjoy the game for a little bit :)

thanks for all of your great work man. i grab every paint job you do. give every one five stars too because you deserve it. have a good day off and enjoy the game.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
New xbox acquired, happy to see I wasn't kicked lol.

Good to see I have a few speed cameras to work on also.

KaYotiX

Banned

YOur paints are awesome :)

paischtu

Neo Member
How do you get the Forza Loyalty Achievement? I have Forza 2 and 3 Saves on my HD but I haven't found anything that mentions them.

Shaneus

How do you get the Forza Loyalty Achievement? I have Forza 2 and 3 Saves on my HD but I haven't found anything that mentions them.
I saw the first mention of importing FM3/4 stuff when I first went into the garage. Or wherever you buy cars. That's when I was surprised that I'd actually made level 50 in FM4 and got all the reward cars.

paischtu

Neo Member
I saw the first mention of importing FM3/4 stuff when I first went into the garage. Or wherever you buy cars. That's when I was surprised that I'd actually made level 50 in FM4 and got all the reward cars.

I tried that but it didn't work, no notification. I then started Forza 3 again, played a race and went back to the garage in Horizon. And there it was.

So you guys might want to boot up one of your old Forza games if the game doesn't recognize your save.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I tried that but it didn't work, no notification. I then started Forza 3 again, played a race and went back to the garage in Horizon. And there it was.

So you guys might want to boot up one of your old Forza games if the game doesn't recognize your save.
No, it just takes a few times to pop-up for some people. Took about five or six tries for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just played the demo. Wow this game is good looking.

I thought the external view made the cars feel a bit wallowy, plus the races were muscle car (don't like) and rally (slider by nature). Is the handling tighter on other cars, and are there tight circuit-style races, eg though towns etc?

paischtu

Neo Member
I thought the external view made the cars feel a bit wallowy

I think so too.

In racing games I prefer the one on the front with no car obstructing the view but in this game the Field Of View when using that camera is just too narrow.. So I end up using the hood cam. What camera are you guys playing on?

S1kkZ

do we already know if the rally pack adds new areas or is it just new events?

and btw: new zealand as a setting for horizon 2. do it playground!

harrytang

8130656157_1a7dd6fc52_z.jpg

i thought i was simulation racer, but the more i play the more i think im a forza horizon kind of player. i'll probably buy the horizon brand from now on. i prefer the random race tracks to the same circuits ive played over and over in every game. if they could combine the two experiences in one game i think it would be perfect.

also im nto progressing because im spending so much time on the rivals for yellow wristband. i think i did 50 laps to grab .001 on a rival time for the win.

also im nto progressing because im spending so much time on the rivals for yellow wristband. i think i did 50 laps to grab .001 on a rival time for the win.

I do exactly the same, a good 20 hours so far sunk into messing about and rivals, need to progress more today.

harrytang

I do exactly the same, a good 20 hours so far sunk into messing about and rivals, need to progress more today.

Oh man, your times are crazy. I tried to catch you on one of those early b class rally/road courses, but I'm still a second down. The drifting in this game feels so good.

The_Monk

A good way for you guys to progress is to go after my times. You just need to try one time and there ya go. You beat me. Lol (I beat some GAFfers for milliseconds, take that!)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I haven't seen it but would anyone care if I just literally made the photo thread for this?

I would have to gather more facts later but for the screens alone, it should do for now.

saladine1

I just heard the sounds in NFS MW and holy shit does it sound crazy!
I'm going to say that the reverb that resonates while driving through the tunnel is hands down the best I've ever heard in a video game. It's so fucking brutal!

P.S
PG, please fix the volume.
Thanks.

I think so too.

In racing games I prefer the one on the front with no car obstructing the view but in this game the Field Of View when using that camera is just too narrow.. So I end up using the hood cam. What camera are you guys playing on?

Cockpit with all HUD elements turned off (except the map).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I haven't seen it but would anyone care if I just literally made the photo thread for this?

I would have to gather more facts later but for the screens alone, it should do for now.

Thread created.

If anyone objects (and had plans) and/or wants to make it that's fine. I'd appreciate a banner if anyone wants to make it. I will be back much later after work to try and gather more but it's just pics so I don't think a lot of explaining is needed right now :)

PM me if you want something important edited in.

Top Bottom