• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

shinnn

getphoto.ashx244mdmu.jpg

getphoto.ashx245aeam.jpg

getphoto.ashx241hf6l.jpg

ugh damage still looks bad when the car is all messed up

getphoto.ashx243ufi3.jpg

ShapeGSX

Pazuzu9 said:
No. GT5 did not use this technique. The photomode locations in GT5 were made of geometry with textures created from photos.

The Forza 4 ones seem to be just HDRI files, which is just a very high res (spherical) photo.

Wouldn't that not work from different angles?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
They can only do so much with the damage model ;p

And yeah most photos so far have been amazing, in homespaces or the tracks. A few exceptions are only due to poor photographers and bad use of available effects it seems. I can't wait to take some shots myself.

shinnn said:
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4812986.aspx

Is there a big difference in the driving physics?
When you turn the driving physics from standard to sim, then yes. Race on the hardest settings possible, even an F-199 Citroen C1 (FWD) is easy to lose.

Where would FM4 sit on this scale in terms of physics?
1 - Ridge Racer
2 -
3 -
4 - PGR 4, TDU 2
5 - GRID, NFS Shift 2
6 - FM3
7 - GT5
7.4 - FM4
8 - rFactor
9 - GTR 2
10 - iRacing
Could change as I try other cars with more power.

Can you compare Forza 3 to Forza 4 when it comes to force feedback?
Logitech DriveFX - Feels the same in terms of feedback. Not fiddled with advanced wheel settings via options yet though

I read that wrong the first time and though Ridge Racer is number 1 :S

mclaren777

shinnn said:
1 - Ridge Racer
2 -
3 -
4 - PGR 4, TDU 2
5 - GRID, NFS Shift 2
6 - FM3
7 - GT5
7.4 - FM4
8 - rFactor
9 - GTR 2
10 - iRacing
B5mSu.gif

I know you're just posting someone else's ranking but I need to weigh in for a second. I spent a lot of time playing FM4 at PAX and its physics are nowhere near the same level as rFactor. The demo didn't have a steering wheel (unfortunately) but the physics didn't feel that much better than they were in FM3. The tires had strange slip angle behavior and the STi had far more lateral grip than it should have had. I would need to use a wheel to give it a proper assessment, but that person's ranking is far from accurate.

sneaky77

mclaren777 said:
B5mSu.gif

I know you're just posting someone else's ranking but I need to weigh in for a second. I spent a lot of time playing FM4 at PAX and its physics are nowhere near the same level as rFactor. The demo didn't have a steering wheel (unfortunately) but the physics didn't feel that much better than they were in FM3. The tires had strange slip angle behavior and the STi had far more lateral grip than it should have had. I would need to use a wheel to give it a proper assessment, but that person's ranking is far from accurate.

According to him there is also a normal setting and simulation setting so who knows.. but yeah I have never played Rfactor but I doubt GT5 or Forza would get that close to a dedicated PC SIM

Apex

shinnn said:
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4812986.aspx

Is there a big difference in the driving physics?
When you turn the driving physics from standard to sim, then yes. Race on the hardest settings possible, even an F-199 Citroen C1 (FWD) is easy to lose.

1 - Ridge Racer
2 -
3 -
4 - PGR 4, TDU 2
5 - GRID, NFS Shift 2
6 - FM3
7 - GT5
7.4 - FM4
8 - rFactor
9 - GTR 2
10 - iRacing

Can you compare Forza 3 to Forza 4 when it comes to force feedback?
Logitech DriveFX - Feels the same in terms of feedback. Not fiddled with advanced wheel settings via options yet though

Who are www.virtual-motorsports.com ? looks an advert site for self-promoting the game.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
mclaren777 said:
B5mSu.gif

"I didnt play the game properly but here's my negative opinion on FM4, anyway."

mclaren777

sneaky77 said:
According to him there is also a normal setting and simulation setting so who knows.
I played FM4 using the full simulation settings and it was fairly hard to accelerate in the 599 using just a controller. If the person who made that ranking actually has some rFactor experience (I'm fairly skeptical), my guess is that they were playing with a handful of the driving aids turned on. That's the only way it makes any sense.

Iknos

That Ranking is flawed because you'd want to compare games based on different elements of the physics along with wheel feel to come to a conclusion.

Mclaren did you have all the assists off?

mclaren777

cjelly said:
"I didnt play the game properly but here's my negative opinion on FM4, anyway."
Think what you want, but the demo will prove me right.

Iknos said:
Mclaren did you have all the assists off?
Yes and no. I usually had all assists off but I tried ABS a couple times to see how that felt.

sneaky77

mclaren777 said:

Yes and no. I usually had all assists off but I tried ABS a couple times to see how that felt.

I think the main question is, how does it compare to forza 3

To mclaren777 defense, you can get a good understanding of the physics in a game without using a wheel. Wheel feedback is a whole other factor.

Vire

mclaren777 said:

Can you go away already and stop shitting up this thread?

Game looks gorgeous in the screenshots but I was hoping for some direct feed from the Gamersyde folks...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Metalmurphy said:
To mclaren777 defense, you can get a good understanding of the physics in a game without using a wheel. Wheel feedback is a whole other factor.
Of course, 10 minutes playing with a controller at PAX would make anyone an expert on the ins and outs of Forza 4's physics and driving experience.

Jamesways

I've talked with Hellbringer plenty of times in the ol' fm2 days, I was going to say his scale is way off too.

Grid's physcis over PGR4? Really?

I understand both are arcade, but the CM pivot point turning man!

;)

cjelly said:
Of course, 10 minutes playing with a controller at PAX would make anyone an expert on the ins and outs of Forza 4's physics and driving experience.
I don't know about you, but if you look in the rFactor thread, you can tell that he's an expert.

Reprise

Neo Member
Just had a "wouldn't it be cool" moment when I realised that the big race at Bathurst is on the 9th of October, maybe they are saving the release of the track for a cross promotion special for the entire weekend.

Certainly wouldn't hurt sales of FM4 if they did that!

edit: This is my "Krusty is coming, Krusty is coming" moment :p

op_ivy said:
360. each time i pick it up there is definitely a re-learning period for the handling, but once its dialed in again the game is massively fun. i LOVE the immersive cockpit and helmet cams, the sounds, and the MASSIVE tracklist. if i could dump those features into forza i'd have the ultimate racer.
Also. This guy. ^^

But it's nice to have both.

SmokyDave

cjelly said:
A couple of laps with all assists off would be ample time for someone that knows their shit. McLaren knows his shit.

I haven't played Forza 4 yet (looking forward to it though, I don't play it just for the sim aspects) but I laughed when I saw it being put next to rFactor. No chance.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
SmokyDave said:
A couple of laps with all assists off would be ample time for someone that knows their shit. McLaren knows his shit.

I haven't played Forza 4 yet (looking forward to it though, I don't play it just for the sim aspects) but I laughed when I saw it being put next to rFactor. No chance.

2 things to think about with that sim ranking list...

1) opinions are like assholes

2) maaaaybe its just a ranking and the guy didnt mean that forza 4 is LITERALLY only .6 worse then rfactor. just that its between gt5 and rfactor. or, to put it more plainly, its the best sim racer on consoles.

sneaky77

op_ivy said:

2) maaaaybe its just a ranking and the guy didnt mean that forza 4 is LITERALLY only .6 worse then rfactor. just that its between gt5 and rfactor. or, to put it more plainly, its the best sim racer on consoles.

That's what I took from it lol.

SmokyDave

op_ivy said:

I find those rankings dubious but, if this game does sit somewhere between GT5 and rFactor then I'll be a very happy camper indeed. Forza is an unmissable package for car lovers but I've always found the handling to be ever-so-slightly lacking.

mclaren777

SmokyDave said:
I find those rankings dubious but, if this game does sit somewhere between GT5 and rFactor then I'll be a very happy camper indeed.
FM4 will easily be the definitely console sim. I think you and many others will be incredibly happy with it.

brotkasten said:
I don't know about you, but if you look in the rFactor thread, you can tell that he's an expert.

I have him ignored so only people taking the bait of his negative posts bring his posts to light ... but I'm curious, doesn't PAX and any place have limits of time you can play? Don't they have "easy mode" on for the most part? Isn't it an old build?

EDIT: I read your post Mclaren, thanks for answering those questions.

mclaren777

flyinpiranha said:
I have him ignored so only people taking the bait of his negative posts bring his posts to light ... but I'm curious, doesn't PAX and any place have limits of time you can play? Don't they have "easy mode" on for the most part? Isn't it an old build?
If someone quotes this post I think flyinpiranha will be able to read it.

Doesn't PAX and any place have limits of time you can play?
Yes, but most gamers don't care about hardcore racing games so I was able to play repeatedly without pissing off anyone.

Don't they have "easy mode" on for the most part?
They gave full access to the settings before beginning a race so I was able to turn on/off any assists that I desired.

Isn't it an old build?
Yes, it's the same build they used for E3 so it was probably made it May. And if I understand things correctly, it's the same demo we'll get next week.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
LS looking MUCH BETTER. Seems to have a live soul now.

getphoto.ashx26017jq.jpg

That shit is FIRE BABY! FIRE!

Jizz this game into my face please.

Iknos

mclaren777 said:

How did it feel? It's true that braking is an issue with some of these console sims.

The only concern when testing it with the controller is that with sim steering on it becomes too twitchy to judge things like slip angle on your fronts.

To my knowledge if on it will allow for a 1:1 mapping to the analog stick so you have to look at your telemetry to see what sort of steering angle you ate getting.

You van certainly get a good feel for the physics with a controller. At least a decker approximation with it. I found I can duplicate physics issues in all sorts of consiole racers just fine with a controller. But with a telemetry on screen it can be done in a more scientific manner.

Did they disable the telemetry in the demo? Here's hoping the oct 3 demo has it.

Top Bottom