• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

saladine1

Mascot said:
Man, I reaaaaally hope there really is some A-bomb jaw-dropping megaton unbe-fukkin'-lievable stuff still to be announced. I'd hate to think Turn 10 don't have a few triple-A surprises for us.
"Ladies and gentleman, you wanted it. You begged for it. So here it is. The megaton you've all been waiting for.............We've added an extra spectator stand at Catalunya!!!

Bam, we thought you'd like it!"

watership

saladine1 said:
I've got one as well...sort of. A guy who worked on the Bernese track posted some information about his work and such. It was asked.. "Those are some great pics..awesome work. By the way, since you worked on the various lighting conditions of the track, is there any night racing or what?"

"Can't talk about that right now"...was the reply..

Take that one with a grain of sugary salt..

InsideSimRacing guys had an interview with Turn10's studio manager Alan Hartman, who when asked about open-wheel racing, said "ahhh I'm not going to say that yet..."

I find that one to be a huge long shot. So maybe it's an general evasive tactic to take the pressure off them saying "Nope!" and disrupting the the positive vibe they're trying to craft.

eso76

G Rom said:
Saw those on FB, I hope they tone down the motion blur for the next racing batch of screenshots. :p
Also, I really hope this bloom won't be my new nightmare in photo mode... :/

well, but fm4 bloom is rather accurate from what we've seen so far, when the sun is bright, low and reflects directly into your lens (eyes) the bloom is going to be there irl.
At noon, or when the sun is above the cars you should see none, unless of course you take pictures of cars' roofs, so you should be alright.
Fm3 specular, however, did not belong to a metallic surface at all. Actually a specular so bright and smooth doesn't belong in any material i can think of.

Huge surprise at TGS ? hmmm. What could be huge ?
Night/weather ? Indy cars (not really exciting to me) ? track editor ? Rally, or at least segments of a track where you race on dirt ?

Japan related ? Well, did i see things or it appears Fujimi Kaido mountains were covered in snow (when Dan quickly browsed through the tracks, during Gamespot E3 interview) ? Maybe at least icy/wet road ?
I don't know, frankly i don't think there's anything 'huge' they still have to reveal.

saladine1

watership said:
InsideSimRacing guys had an interview with Turn10's studio manager Alan Hartman, who when asked about open-wheel racing, said "ahhh I'm not going to say that yet..."

I find that one to be a huge long shot. So maybe it's an general evasive tactic to take the pressure off them saying "Nope!" and disrupting the the positive vibe they're trying to craft.
While it isn't surprising a studio head would reply like that, the info I posted came from a contractee who worked on the game for a number of months only. He posted on a forum, showed some stuff that Turn 10 probably wouldn't have authorised and then he disappeared.. along with his posts.
Obviously it doesn't prove shit but still, it gave me a TofuR vibe...

Mascot

saladine1 said:
I've got one as well...sort of.

A guy who worked on the Bernese track posted some information about his work and such. It was asked..

"Those are some great pics..awesome work. By the way, since you worked on the various lighting conditions of the track, is there any night racing or what?"

"Can't talk about that right now"...was the reply..

Take that one with a grain of sugary salt..
Wasn't there also a strong hint about Bathurst from somebody working on the game?

saladine1 said:
Obviously it doesn't prove shit but still, it gave me a TofuR vibe...
A TofuR vibe? You mean "should've been in FM4, but got scrapped and might show up as DLC, but will definitely be in FM5?" :lol

saladine1

RukusProvider said:
The only bombshell bigger than Spa would be F1 cars will the all F1 circuits :)
What, you don't think weather or night is a bigger bombshell than Spa or F1 cars?
Weather and/or night has to make an appearance in some way or another right?
I mean, if they originally planned to have it in FM3 but was cut out due to time constraints, wouldn't it make sense that they would feature it a few years later in the guise of FM4?

saladine1 said:
What, you don't think weather or night is a bigger bombshell than Spa or F1 cars?
I mean, if they originally planned to have it in FM3 but was cut out due to time constraints, wouldn't it make sense that they would feature it a few years later in the guise of FM4?
Well, accoding to TofuR, active aero was cut from FM2 and got cut again.
Other things that got cut:

Active aero (again!)

sneaky77

So as I was finishing 100% on Shift 2 last night, it hit me, every single race on Spa has been at night. I wonder if that would affect Forza from licensing it, since it appears more restrictive than other circuits, although I rather have real life tracks even if only 1 variation is allowed like Mt. Panorama, or night only, Spa (which I have to admit, is my worst track in the game)

Seanspeed

Banned
brotkasten said:
Well, accoding to TofuR, active aero was cut from FM2 and got cut again.
I swear that I've seen active aero in some of the footage of FM4 somewhere.....could be wrong, but I dont think I am.

BADNED said:
Too much thinking of the present. Think more of the past!

No thanks. I enjoy modern fast cars. Unless you mean the Turbo beasts of the late 80's F1 cars and Schumacher's dominating Ferrari's. Then I'm open for the past!

Seanspeed said:
I swear that I've seen active aero in some of the footage of FM4 somewhere.....could be wrong, but I dont think I am.
I meant that it got cut from FM3. So it took them two releases to get it in.

saladine1 said:

I really don't care about weather and night.

The reasons being due to the physics and sim factor needed to deliver those properly.

Racing at night requires a different setup due to the change in track temp, ambient temp, tire pressure and such. Will Forza factor this in or will night racing simply be the day time settings and grip level with a just a graphical change.

As for weather, driving in the rain adds such a host of physics burden that you have next to no chance of simulating properly. What you end up with is this: x amount of water = x amount of reduced grip. We already know how difficult water physics are on their own. Compound that with burden of cars physics interacting with water physics and you see the complications.

I rather the focus be on improving "ideal conditions" simulation followed by adding more tracks that are laser measured accurate to the real life counterparts and lastly cars.

Weather and night racing is very far down my list of an improved driving experience in racing games. I understand that's not the case for others but I hate it when someone complains about the sim, track and other aspects of it but is countered is "well they added weather! night! XYZ!" Sometime less is more.

RukusProvider said:
I really don't care about weather and night.

The reasons being due to the physics and sim factor needed to deliver those properly.

Racing at night requires a different setup due to the change in track temp, ambient temp, tire pressure and such. Will Forza factor this in or will night racing simply be the day time settings and grip level with a just a graphical change.

As for weather, driving in the rain adds such a host of physics burden that you have next to no chance of simulating properly. What you end up with is this: x amount of water = x amount of reduced grip. We already know how difficult water physics are on their own. Compound that with burden of cars physics interacting with water physics and you see the complications.

I rather the focus be on improving "ideal conditions" simulation followed by adding more tracks that are laser measured accurate to the real life counterparts and lastly cars.

Weather and night racing is very far down my list of an improved driving experience in racing games. I understand that's not the case for others but I hate it when someone complains about the sim, track and other aspects of it but is countered is "well they added weather! night! XYZ!" Sometime less is more.

I could understand your argument, if this was about iRacing, but it's not. Forza was never a proper sim and it won't be a proper sim. Night and weather worked well for PGR and GT5, there's no reason not to have it in Forza.

brotkasten said:
I could understand your argument, if this was about iRacing, but it's not. Forza was never a proper sim and it won't be a proper sim. Night and weather worked well for PGR and GT5, there's no reason not to have it in Forza.

How well did they actually work? PGR4 bombed and the studio is no longer around.

GT5's already long dev cycle still had issues redoing all the cars and tracks because they had to split resources. Not to mention, performance issues and the barrage of updates in a short time because the game was basically not finished at launch. Would it have performed better if it was a tighter packaged concentrating on just tracks and cars? That formula worked pretty well for previous versions.

Forza's focus should always be tracks and cars. The livery and mod stuff in cool and fine to have. Gives people personalization. The appeal to casuals should be done through handholding and letting their skills develop over time.

This design by feature and marketing checklist mentality doesn't create a good product. You end up jack of all trades, master of none as a best case scenario.

eso76

BADNED said:

like this past

Bandini,_Lorenzo_-_Ferrari-12-Zylinder_1966.jpg

or this past ?

gv52.jpg

i've seen something like this hinted at before and it would absolutely be the best thing Fm4 can do.

RukusProvider said:
How well did they actually work?

It worked well enough to be fun. That's what those games are about. It was fun to drive through Quebec in rain and snow, it was fun (and scary) to drive at the ring at night. Like I said, it's not iRacing (which I've played and is an entirely different beast).

Sometimes, those "marketing checklist features" are necessary to moooove on, get with the times. I don't want to play the same game from 1998, just with more cars, tracks and better graphics and physics. I don't care about any of the Top Gear crap in FM4, because I don't believe it will be fun for more than 5 minutes, but saying that they should include more cars over weather or night racing? Nah. Maybe, it depends on the cars. But it's really just your comment about the sim aspect of Forza that put me off.

Jube3

Today's garage:
Forza Garage:This tire-melting monster's Dual/Gate shifters and gold pinstripes mean it can only be one thing: the 1969 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds 442, brand new to Forza. Also welcome back some other members of the burnout club, the 2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air and 1970 Chevrolet El Camino SS 454.

Facebook.com/forzamotorsport

eso76 said:
like this past

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Bandini,_Lorenzo_-_Ferrari-12-Zylinder_1966.jpg[IMG]

or this past ?

[IMG]http://www.influx.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/gv52.jpg[IMG]

i've seen something like this hinted at before and it would absolutely be the best thing Fm4 can do.[/QUOTE]
to new...

probably more like this ;)

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/A1qGr.jpg

DasRaven

saladine1 said:
In all honesty though I would rather see the '69 Hurst/Olds

5uUpE.jpg

Either way, good times are ahead...very good times..

Ask and ye shall receive!

Turn10Studios
Welcome the 1969 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds 442, 2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air & 1970 Chevrolet El Camino SS 454 to #ForzaGarage

Jube3 said:
Today's garage:
Forza Garage:This tire-melting monster's Dual/Gate shifters and gold pinstripes mean it can only be one thing: the 1969 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds 442, brand new to Forza. Also welcome back some other members of the burnout club, the 2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air and 1970 Chevrolet El Camino SS 454.

Facebook.com/forzamotorsport

bLQls.jpg

Yay? More like ... Zzz. I hope the new vintage cars won't be just muscle cars.

AMUSIX

AMUSIX said:
The amount of classic American steel being added to the game is incredible. In Forza 2, it was damn easy to know which muscle I was adding to my garage. In Forza 3, it became a bit more of a difficult decision. Now it looks like Turn 10 is going to make me spend days on figuring out my main driver.

Now all they need to do is announce this beauty...they do that, my decision gets a hell of a lot easier...
kbaj2.jpg
but....but it's not even my birthday!

(granted, Saladine got the year right, but the '70 was a better machine, IMO)

edit: anyone interested in setting up an American Muscle league? Say show up on race days with any classic muscle, built to the top of C class and no more, or something?

G Rom

Some old Grand Prix cars like the Maserati 250F would be glorious, especially in Autovista. I'd love some of the crazy pre-WWII land speed record cars too, things like the Auto-Union Streamliner or the Mercedes-Benz T80. :)

Open wheels could also mean the Ford T...
Autovista is just perfect for those very old, special, rare cars !

Edit : I was already worried about all this Muscle car talk at E3, I just hope Turn has acknowledged the existence of European classics too.
*wait for saladine to fix my post by quoting his Australian muscle cars image*

eso76

enough with muscle cars, i actually prefer the Nissan Leaves of the world.

Anyway, Classic F1, mark my words !

How well did they actually work? PGR4 bombed and the studio is no longer around.

i think it sold a very good amount, it just took long.
Not that it has anything to do with its quality. If that actually meant something Bizarre would have enough money to buy Activision, EA, Microsoft and Nintendo. And a medium sized european country of their choice. Yes, PGR4 was THAT good.

Mascot

BADNED said:

But if Turn 10 have finally 'solved' their inability to model open-wheelers (and for the life of me I could never understand why the hell they couldn't when everyone else has been doing it for years - but that's another debate for another day), then surely the Caterhams and Atoms of this world are a slam dunk?

Why invest in exposed-suspension tech then limit its use for golden oldies only?

It don't make no senses.

saladine1

G Rom said:
Some old Grand Prix cars like the Maserati 250F would be glorious, especially in Autovista. I'd love some of the crazy pre-WWII land speed record cars too, things like the Auto-Union Streamliner or the Mercedes-Benz T80. :)

Open wheels could also mean the Ford T...
Autovista is just perfect for those very old, special, rare cars !

Edit : I was already worried about all this Muscle car talk at E3, I just hope Turn has acknowledged the existence of European classics too.
*wait for saladine to fix my post by quoting his Australian muscle cars image*
Lol, I think I've gotten my point across........oh what the heck here's one more...just kidding..

I see Turn 10 have received my brib.. I mean donations. Thanks Turn 10.
The Hurst is mine..all mine...ha ha ha haaaah...ha.

In all seriousness though, perhaps it is time for some classsic Euro love, particularly, some British love..

@Xanadu, not everything has to be beautiful. As you well know, cars are admired for more than just looks. There's sentimental values, nostalgia, performance, culture..etc..

Edit:
Turn 10 said:
Some cool stuff coming next week so hopefully it will be worth your wait.

Mascot

Turn 10 said:
Some cool stuff coming next week so hopefully it will be worth your wait.

It's the top-secret hush-hush totally unexpected Hockenheim open-secret reveal at Gamescom. You know, that track that absolutely nobody has known about since April 1st.

The only way this news would be "cool" is if the old layout was included. The current circuit does nothing for me, especially compared to some other well-known and strangely absent tracks.

Still, all 'new' news is good news, I guess. Hoping for some atom bombs between now and October, though.

eso76

AMUSIX said:

oh, don't worry, you'll probably see classic Hockenheim.

in the next Uncharted game !

no, seriously, they could still have that part of the track in the game, even if this is it's current state irl.

Anyway, Hockenheim and demo release date to be revealed at Gamescom, believe.

Classic F1 and 1900 cars at TGS.

Night ? doubtful. Remember that part of the e3 trailer with 16 cars on screen ? if they had working headlights, they should have been on with those lighting conditions. That's probably as 'dusk' as it can get in the game.
Also no weather. Wet and icy road maybe.

Edit: Badned we hate you.

Top Bottom