• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnome

What was going on in that scene with Arya and wolves?

Jon is going to pay for striking Littlefinger like that. Ned Starks downfall was very similar.

Euron is an awesome character. But, how is he alive? One of the snakes stabs his groin with a dagger. Still cool character.

That was Arya's wolf from season one. It ditched her because it doesn't recognize Arya as a member of it's pack, nor does it accept Arya as a Stark. Either that or Arya is actually the Waif.

What was going on in that scene with Arya and wolves?

Jon is going to pay for striking Littlefinger like that. Ned Starks downfall was very similar.

Euron is an awesome character. But, how is he alive? One of the snakes stabs his groin with a dagger. Still cool character.

Jon is stronger than Ned was. Does Carcetti even know about his resurrection?

aBarreras

That was Arya's wolf from season one. It ditched her because it doesn't recognize Arya as a member of it's pack, nor does it accept Arya as a Stark. Either that or Arya is actually the Waif.

dude no, we have discussed this several times in the thread already,

nymeria doesnt want to go to winterfell and be a pet a domestic dog, just much like arya didnt wanted to be a lady and marry some lord

thats not them

if nymeria didnt recgonized her, arya would be dead

pablito

I'd love to see her tell Jon to bend the knee, and him refusing. But I don't see why Jon bending the knee should even be a conversation. Yara didn't. Jon isn't coming to be a servant, he's coming to be an ally.

Gnome

nymeria doesnt want to go to winterfell and be a pet a domestic dog, just much like arya didnt wanted to be a lady and marry some lord

thats not them

You're using the wrong definition of recognize. I know the wolf knows who Arya is, it doesn't acknowledge Arya's validity, try some reading comprehension.

Second, nothing you said opposes the idea of what I said. It's both.

And the Waif comment was a joke.

thats not them

i hope it's not too late though. Nymeria was the cutest direwolf

giphy.gif

anigif_sub-buzz-10972-1487795420-2.gif

aBarreras

You're using the wrong definition of recognize. I know the wolf knows who Arya is, it doesn't acknowledge Arya's validity, try some reading comprehension.

Second, nothing you said opposes the idea of what I said. It's both.

And the Waif comment was a joke.

dude, thats what the creators of the show said

Gnome

She doesn't say that, she says, "it's not you", which aBarreras has explained why that was said.

Nothing to do with packs or recognition.

That seems poorly handled then. As the wolves are the most blatant metaphors in the entire series. And do represent the children's relationship to their family/pack.

Pkaz01

That seems poorly handled then. As the wolves are the most blatant metaphors in the entire series. And do represent the children's relationship to their family/pack.
It's a call back to an earlier scene in season one. And the metaphor is that nymeria won't be domesticated just like arya won't be a lady

yeah i really hope it wasnt just a "look we didnt forget about nymeria!" because with their recent handly of ghost it seems they dont care about the direwolfs anymore

where the fuck even is ghost? 2 episodes in one can argue that they retconned the fucker right outta the show

Gnome

It's a call back to an earlier scene in season one. And the metaphor is that nymeria won't be domesticated just like arya won't be a lady
Umm. Duh?

But thematically it'll make no sense unless Arya decides to outcast from the rest of the Starks going forward.

aBarreras

where the fuck even is ghost? 2 episodes in one can argue that they retconned the fucker right outta the show

i will cut them some slack because Ghost being at the battle of the bastard would have mean its demise, so im fine with him not appearing in that episode, but season finale and these 2? where th fuck is Ghost

Umm. Duh?

But thematically it'll make no sense unless Arya decides to outcast from the rest of the Starks going forward.

thematically means that both of them do whatever the fuck they want, so it fits

Pretty sure he hasn't been seen since the first episode of Season 6.

i will cut them some slack because Ghost being at the battle of the bastard would have mean its demise, so im fine with him not appearing in that episode, but season finale and these 2? where th fuck is Ghost

The scene where Jon is being crowned King of the North and it pans out with him standing behind the table would have been so much more badass with Ghost sitting at the foot of the table in front of him.

Gnome

D&D have already said they've eschewed putting the direwolves in scenes because of the cost ever since needing to show dragons more.

thematically means that both of them do whatever the fuck they want, so it fits

It works on a character level but not in the broader familial sense. We already know Arya does whatever she wants, it's been that way since season one. What is less clear is Arya's current relationship with her family and what to expect with it going for. Reiterating her most basic character trait is a waste of goddamn writing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Umm. Duh?

It's not about her family, at all. It's about not being tamed, about Arya not being some lady for some Lord in some castle with some shitty princes and princesses like Sansa wanted, that's not her. Nymeria is a Direwolf, she wants to be out in the wild being what she is supposed to be, she doesn't want to be tamed. Neither of them want the lives that others tried to put them into.

televator

"Didn't recognize Arya as a Stark?" lol

Arya recognizes herself as a stark. That was literally a pivotal part of her journey. The wolf scene made no such determination to the contrary.

It was meant to draw a parallel. Arya is feral and unlady like. Just as her wolf Nymeria. The wolf became what was in it's nature just as Arya did. Nymeria is a wolf and Arya is a wolf (Stark). Arya is going to reunite with her pack, byt Nymeria already has a pack of its own.

Speevy

Banned
I want Jaime to leave King's Landing and go on a quest to find the last lion.

Like a megalion. Something bigger than Viserion, but a lion. Its teeth are made of dragonglass.

Einchy

Like a megalion. Something bigger than Viserion, but a lion. Its teeth are made of dragonglass.

I'm sure this is a book thing but I always thought it was a bit odd how they were lions but no one has ever spoken about actual lions in the show. Like, are they alive some or have they all died out? Are they still in Essos?

Nameless

Umm. Duh?

Depends how far you stretch the metaphor, but I agree. Especially when Arya literally stood at a crossroad and chose to go home to her pack a few scenes earlier.

yah. this isn't fair.
Pretty sure he hasn't been seen since the first episode of Season 6.
giphy.gif

The scene where Jon is being crowned King of the North and it pans out with him standing behind the table would have been so much more badass with Ghost sitting at the foot of the table in front of him.
thanks, now you just ruined the s6 finale for me for thinking of this alternate
CG budget spent on wolves, dragons fly away, CG budget spent on dragons, wolves run away.
why can't HBO just give them a bigger budget??? they clearly would still profit from it

Gnome

It's not about her family, at all. It's about not being tamed, about Arya not being some lady for some Lord in some castle with some shitty princes and princesses like Sansa wanted, that's not her. Nymeria is a Direwolf, she wants to be out in the wild being what she is supposed to be, she doesn't want to be tamed. Neither of them want the lives that others tried to put them into.

The wolves are always about her relationship to her family always. For the writers to fail to establish this meaning in a key scene with a wolf is failure on their writing. I don't care about any appeal to what the "show runners" think, they are dead and don't matter.

Yeah. I forgot that Daenery's dragons still aren't full-grown? Do dragons keep getting bigger or reach max size at some point?
They keep saying Dany has fully grown dragons, but do we really know that? It's not like they're dragon experts. None of the maesters have actually seen em.

I'm telling you. It's going end in royal wedding vows and how sex while the dragons watch.
Brazzers pls

Einchy

The wolves are always about her relationship to her family always. For the writers to fail to establish this meaning in a key scene with a wolf is failure on their writing. I don't care about any appeal to the "show runners" they are dead and don't matter.

This death of the writers thing is such a cop out when the scene specifically shows what it's about, then they say that it's about that, but you disagree with them and pulling out "death of the author" somehow means you're correct over the show creators.

The scene was about them being who they are and not being tamed. You're trying to insert a circle into a square peg. If you REALLY want some family parallels, then read televator's post, which does a better job doing that then you just ignoring D&D because you feel like it.

Speevy

Banned
Seriously. What a missed opportunity.

Where is Ghost?

"Everyone just keep chanting and maybe he won't notice the Ghost budget is in the very next scene."

"THE KING IN THE NORTH THE KING IN THE NORTH THE KING IN THE NORTH THE KING IN THE NORTH THE KING IN THE NORTH...How long until he stops looking for Ghost? THE KING IN THE NORTH THE KING IN THE.."

The wolf scene is fine and makes sense but it was made because they didn't want a giant ass cg wolf next to arya the rest of the season.

Theon will get picked up by the Kraken, then we can have a giant monster fight!

Plus if Ghost was next to Jon Snow during the town halls, all of these Lords would think twice about defying him. It really does make him way more badass.

Whatever CGI budget theyre saving now better be used for when Ghost rides one of Danys dragons and they go on a fucking rampage together.

WHAT IS WORSE, IS LADY MORMONT CALL HIM THE WHITE WOLF WITHOUT EVEN SHOWING HIS GODDAMN WHITE WOLF THERE.

it was like a no brainer scene

Dude seriously. No CG needed, just zoom in on the face of a white ass wolf. Done.

aBarreras

I have a habit of calling petyer baelish littlefinger - Carcettiit's just force of habit. if it was bothering you then you should've told me. there were people in the iron fist thread calling harold meachum faramir and i rolled with it

imean its fine, just a fast google and we are set, like i said it is pretty harmless

Gnome

"Didn't recognize Arya as a Stark?" lol

Arya recognizes herself as a stark. That was literally a pivotal part of her journey. The wolf scene made no such determination to the contrary.

It was meant to draw a parallel. Arya is feral and unlady like. Just as her wolf Nymeria. The wolf became what was in it's nature just as Arya did. Nymeria is a wolf and Arya is a wolf (Stark). Arya is going to reunite with her pack, byt Nymeria already has a pack of its own.

This death of the writers thing is such a cop out when the scene specifically shows what it's about, then they say that it's about that, but you disagree with them and pulling out "death of the author" somehow means you're correct over the show creators.

The scene was about them being who they are and not being tamed. You're trying to insert a circle into a square peg. If you REALLY want some family parallels, then read televator's post, which does a better job doing that then you just ignoring D&D because you feel like it.

No. The metaphor falls apart completely when you have a reunion of Arya with her family as representing her pack, and Nymeria choosing a different pack instead of going back to Arya. The extremis of the metaphor will only make sense if Arya doesn't reunite with the Starks in the end, but instead goes off with possibly the Brotherhood. Which may happen then I'll concede to the Wolf scene not being a waste.

No. The metaphor falls apart completely when you have a reunion of Arya with her family as representing her pack, and Nymeria choosing a different pack instead of going back to Arya. The extremis of the metaphor will only make sense if Arya doesn't reunite with the Starks in the end, but instead goes off with possibly the Brotherhood. Which may happen then I'll concede to the Wolf scene not being a waste.

I'll be very upset if Arya goes to the bannerless instead of her brother and sister.

Kind of annoying the narrative of the story is being dictated by the CGI budget. Made some sense in early seasons but considering how huge the show is now I would have thought they could make it work better.

Einchy

Why do you keep trying to make this about her family, though? Arya being tamed is not about her love for her family, she wants to be with them again, going back to her "pack" doesn't tame her, just like Nymeria going back to her's doesn't either. Nymeria going with humans is being tamed, Arya becoming a lady and going against her nature, like she asked Nymeria to do in this episode, is being tamed. The metaphor of being tamed doesn't crumble if she goes back to her family, it only crumbles because you're trying to make the metaphor in that scene something it wasn't. This is not a failing of the show or its writers, but you trying to see something that is not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom