• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Robb had no one really question him. Look what happened to him.
Um that's not exactly true. Cat questioned many things tha Rob did, and she went around expressing these differences by doing stupid shit behind his back. Catlyn Stark is the Ellaria Sand of the North when it comes to dumb as fuck decision making.

Oh wow, news to me. Shame, the Battle of the Trident on a Bastard Bowl budget would've been insane.

I would just be happy if we got some wargback stuff this season and next giving some light to Rhaegar and Lyanna, and ending with a young Robert smashing Rhaegar's chest in with a warhammer and rubies go everywhere scene.

I don't know what overall value it would add considering how short the time left is, but it would serve Brann knowing Rhaegar didn't rape Lyanna—they had loved each other for a long time, and I don't know it would be cool to see some of the characters learn the real story.

Rhaegar was said to have been shy and bookish as a child, but eventually became a great warrior and champion, and even plotted to remove his father from the throne more out of compassion to the Westerosi than a desire for power.

My guess is they would have met when Rhaegar was younger, maybe Lyanna traveled with her father to King's Landing—and each intrigued the other, he a prince who read and sang and she this free spirited, fearless girl from the north, etc...

Who knows, maybe Rhaegar eventually took up the sword as intensively as he did to compete with Lyanna's betrothed Robert—who was all about the sword and little else. I think there's an interesting story there to have told with a bit more depth, but I do think the mystery and implication we have right now is also satisfying in its own way.

Rhaegar was also the greatest swordsman in Westeros having leaped past his nemesis and friend Sir Arthur Dayne. I wonder if he had received a Raven about Lyanna's passing (maybe even from that snake Baelish) before fighting Robert at the Trident and he was just broken, and that's why he ultimately lost the battle to an inferior warrior.

In any case I think it would be neat to explore those events a bit on screen to add some visual sense of the grey about Robert's Rebellion and Rhaegar stepping out on his wife and either raping or at the very least running off with Lyanna Stark.

HvySky

And none of those things are good for Yara and Ellaria.

I could see Cersei exacting revenge in kind. Killing Bad Pussy in front of her mother, perhaps? Our beloved queen isn't exactly the most subtle person around, after all.

I'd like to think that Theon will have his moment of redemption by rescuing Yara at some point in the future, but who knows.

"Cersei returns a gift" just makes me think Danaerys is going to receive a boss with Ellaria's head in it.

And none of those things are good for Yara and Ellaria.

Actually the fact they didn't kill Yara last episode bodes well for her. She now represents the Theon redemption Arc, because there is like 0 reasons she shouldn't have been killed as soon as Theon jumped off the boat. She means nothing to Cerci so the fact that she was kept alive makes me think she is going to serve as a plot point for Theon, because I don't see him being a factor in the battles with the WW.

I would just be happy if we got some wargback stuff this season and next giving some light to Rhaegar and Lyanna, and ending with a young Robert smashing Rhaegar's chest in with a warhammer and rubies go everywhere scene.

I don't know what overall value it would add considering how short the time left is, but it would serve Brann knowing Rhaegar didn't rape Lyanna—they had loved each other for a long time, and I don't know it would be cool to see some of the characters learn the real story.

Rhaegar was said to have been shy and bookish as a child, but eventually became a great warrior and champion, and even plotted to remove his father from the throne more out of compassion to the Westerosi than a desire for power.

My guess is they would have met when Rhaegar was younger, maybe Lyanna traveled with her father to King's Landing—and each intrigued the other, he a prince who read and sang and she this free spirited, fearless girl from the north, etc...

Who knows, maybe Rhaegar eventually took up the sword as intensively as he did to compete with Lyanna's betrothed Robert—who was all about the sword and little else. I think there's an interesting story there to have told with a bit more depth, but I do think the mystery and implication we have right now is also satisfying in its own way.

Rhaegar was also the greatest swordsman in Westeros having leaped past his nemesis and friend Sir Arthur Dayne. I wonder if he had received a Raven about Lyanna's passing (maybe even from that snake Baelish) before fighting Robert at the Trident and he was just broken, and that's why he ultimately lost the battle to an inferior warrior.

In any case I think it would be neat to explore those events a bit on screen to add some visual sense of the grey about Robert's Rebellion and Rhaegar stepping out on his wife and either raping or at the very least running off with Lyanna Stark.
How do you know they loved each other?

Could have sworn this thread said no book talk...

I thought it was explored/hinted with Lyanna last season when Brann warged back to Jon's birth at the Tower of Joy and she seemed happy about her son with Rhaegar, and whispered something to Ned we didn't get to hear before telling him to protect Jon because Robert would kill him if he found out. Plus, why would Rhaegar send his most elite men to the Tower of Joy while key battles are raging on two fronts if Lyanna was some piece of meat to him? All the stuff I mentioned has been talked about by characters in the show referencing Rhaegar or Lyanna, and I extrapolated from that. I haven't read the books.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sansa-Ayra reuniting will be more cathartic for me, both were the last Starks to see Ned alive and saw him executed. Both had tortuous journeys knowing their brothers and mother died trying to save them etc etc.

Considering the shit both of them have gone through, I would love to see how they interact with each other now.

Its a pretty reasonable assumption. I haven't read beyond like 50 pages into Book 2 :p

Nothing about the Tower of Joy stuff last year suggested Lyanna was held captive, Rhaegar sent his best swordsman to protect her. Logically, he's not going to do that unless whatever was within the tower was extremely important to him. I'm probably head-cannoning it but I guessed that Lyanna wasn't captured + raped etc as Robert had suggested, but really left because he's a drunken womanizer and Lyanna had some sort of moral standards.

Which makes the idea of not getting a Robert's Rebellion mini series all the more disappointing because it could make for interesting character moments, if Robert was an extremely jilted drunk lover who started a revolution because he didn't take rejection well...and the Battle of the Trident on a good budget would be orgasmic.

I could see Cersei exacting revenge in kind. Killing Bad Pussy in front of her mother, perhaps? Our beloved queen isn't exactly the most subtle person around, after all.

I'd like to think that Theon will have his moment of redemption by rescuing Yara at some point in the future, but who knows.

"Cersei returns a gift" just makes me think Danaerys is going to receive a boss with Ellaria's head in it.

Yeah, I'm thinking Cersei will want Elaria to feel the pain of losing a daughter. Plus, Tyene was all like "mama" last episode which makes it a little more obvious that Tyene will join the rest of the sand snakes.

OrionX

Yeah ever since the Jon birth reveal I thought it would make more sense if Lyanna was a willing captive all along.

It's pretty ironic to think that Jon was born from a relationship that destroyed Dany's entire family and set up the events of her life and all the chaos that has happened in Westeros since, while also possibly being the "chosen one" destined to save everyone from the WW invasion.

Its a pretty reasonable assumption. I haven't read beyond like 50 pages into Book 2 :p

Nothing about the Tower of Joy stuff last year suggested Lyanna was held captive, Rhaegar sent his best swordsman to protect her. Logically, he's not going to do that unless whatever was within the tower was extremely important to him. I'm probably head-cannoning it but I guessed that Lyanna wasn't captured + raped etc as Robert had suggested, but really left because he's a drunken womanizer and Lyanna had some sort of moral standards.

Which makes the idea of not getting a Robert's Rebellion mini series all the more disappointing because it could make for interesting character moments, if Robert was an extremely jilted drunk lover who started a revolution because he didn't take rejection well...and the Battle of the Trident on a good budget would be orgasmic.

Exactly what I was thinking. Where Robert is the one to triumph and subsequently writes history, it seems like Rhaegar was very much the opposite kind of person. Where both characters weren't interested in ruling, Rhaegar it seems was trying to broker an overthrow of his father with the other Lords of Westeros for the sake of everyone's quality of life.

Again, most of this stuff is either directly talked about in the show (Sir Barristan telling Dany about her brother's singing and rapport with the people, Cersei talking about her own love for Rhaegar, Baelish saying raping wasn't his way, etc...) or in those supplemental lore videos HBO put together.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Trailer looks great for the upcoming ep.

Halfway through the episode means we'll be midseason too :p
Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif

Nameless

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Lyanna falling for the Dragon Prince after coming to realize Robert was little more than a hot-tempered alchy slut once the armor came off makes all these sense in the world. But family and honor are everything to the Starks and her fling cost the lives of her father and brother. She'd want to return North to her family, hopefully stop Ned and Robert from unleashing hell in her name and Rhaegar would no doubt stop her. At this point she becomes his prisoner.

1st off, where are you getting that Rhaegar is the greatest swordsman? GRRM even confirmed that Arthur Dayne and Selmy are 1a 1b with Dayne's sword Dawn being the clincher due to it cutting notches in other swords from its sharpness.

Also, from last season's finale it's pretty clear that when Ned arrives at the Tower of Joy that the war is over and "Raeghar lies beneath the ground". So no, Started didn't die of a broken heart.

1st off, where are you getting that Rhaegar is the greatest swordsman? GRRM even confirmed that Arthur Dayne and Selmy are 1a 1b with Dayne's sword Dawn being the clincher due to it cutting notches in other swords from its sharpness.

Also, from last season's finale it's pretty clear that when Ned arrives at the Tower of Joy that the war is over and "Raeghar lies beneath the ground". So no, Started didn't die of a broken heart.

Fair enough on the last point, but I thought Rhaegar had defeated Dayne at Harrenhall (when he spurned his wife for Lyanna), and also at a tournament before that too, or was that just jousting/some other type combat?

7438291febc15a6371975a42ae129e43.jpg

Genetic sexual attraction where they get drawn to each other even though they are related due to separation. Then again as you pointed out, they're bloody Targs.
is that a photo of another Targaryen who married his sisters?

They look good together, I'm not gonna lie, but, this is supposed to be wrong...
Yeah but I'm going to guess not romantically. She's a Targaryen by blood and fire, but she wasn't raised in their house.
Neither was Jon; they don't know what they mean to each other yet so who knows.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
is that a photo of another Targaryen who married his sisters?

They look good together, I'm not gonna lie, but, this is supposed to be wrong...
Neither was Jon; they don't know what they mean to each other yet so who knows.

Lol That's Aegon the Conquer and his sister wives. Got to keep that dragon juice strong bro. You think they rode three fully grown dragons by asking them nicely? The Valyrians clearly had some magical connection with their dragons, and that connection is tied to their blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom