• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Kit's been the one to improve the most throughout this show acting wise. And yeah his choreography is A+ these days.

His acting was up and down the first three seasons, but from that scene in front of the Night's Watch officers at the beginning of Season 4 on he's been great.

How often do Americans do a good job with an English accent though...Usually it's a butchering of mixed dialects.

there have been better ones out there. Elijah Wood did a good job with it as Frodo Baggins., that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Even if he wasn't perfect with it he was way more convincing than Peter Dinklage

ascii42

there have been better ones out there. Elijah Wood did a good job with it as Frodo Baggins., that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Even if he wasn't perfect with it he was way more convincing than Peter Dinklage

James Marsters as Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer? At least, he sounded good to me, but I'm American.

Wvrs

I really don't mind Peter Dinklage's accent in this show and I'm English. It's not perfect but it's not distracting.

Venture

Euron has Elaria though. How would Tyrion sell them out?
There was discussion about a traitor on Dany's council and I meant that Tyrion could've already sold out Ellaria by getting them captured by Euron and delivered to Cersei. I don't really think that's true though as it would be a huge betrayal of Dany's trust.

It's head on a spike betrayal. I still think Tyrion means what when he said he believes in Dany. He ain't going to do anything to jeopardize her goals.
Yeah, that's why I couldn't really see him doing it. Along with the fact it would be totally screwing over Yara and Theon.

There was discussion about a traitor on Dany's council and I meant that Tyrion could've already sold out Ellaria by getting them captured by Euron and delivered to Cersei. I don't really think that's true though as it would be a huge betrayal of Dany's trust.
Oh I see. I agree, I don't think Tyrion would do something like that. Big risk, stupid, and crossing Dany is dangerous. Tyrion knows that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I really don't mind Peter Dinklage's accent in this show and I'm English. It's not perfect but it's not distracting.

I'm terrible with accents but even I could hear his accent being off but it never really bothered me. I guess it might have been more annoying if these were supposed to be real British people, or something, but they're just Westerosi.

I always thought Tyrion's accent suited his character, as in he had to sound OTT posh/noble to be taken seriously.

And there isn't a lot of consistency with accents in the show, otherwise Euron would sound Northern/Midlands English like the rest of the Ironborn and not.... That.

But hey, it's Westeros and not England, so anything goes I guess.

I always thought Tyrion's accent suited his character, as in he had to sound OTT posh/noble to be taken seriously.

And there isn't a lot of consistency with accents in the show, otherwise Euron would sound Northern/Midlands English like the rest of the Ironborn and not.... That.

But hey, it's Westeros and not England, so anything goes I guess.

Euron I don't mind. He's been......galavanting...... around the far side of the world for years. It would have evolved and changed.

Volimar

Given how hated he was by the Lannisters, maybe Tyrion was taught by/taken care of by other servants than the ones that taught /took care of Jaime and Cersei. Hence his strange accent.

Half decent headcanon.

Einchy

I'm so bad with accents that I never realized Kit was doing an accent until I watched an interview with him, and I didn't realized because I heard his real voice, but just because he said so. Jon Snow and Kit Harington sound the same to me.

Pagusas

Elden Member
in other words there are plenty of American actors who can pull off English accents. Peter just doesn't care to be good at it or isn't.

I never got the impression he was trying to do an English accent... more just a pompous rich aristocrat accent. Intentionally full of it self and condecending/preachy in tone. I've never had a problem with it. Just like I never had an issue with Hugh Lori's American accent in house, yet some people did.

He has two Emmys now. He doesn't care what anyone thinks about his accents.

The show is not set in England, btw.
as I stated 2 posts above you, I am aware that Peter doesn't care but Emmys don't mean anything to me, apparently they are just a popularity contest now like the Grammys and Emilia Clarke won a bunch that she shouldn't necessarily even been nominated for.

I am also aware that the show is not set in England, but obviously, Dinklage is putting on an accent, since he isn't talking with his natural American voice and everyone around him is speaking with an English accent too.
I never got the impression he was trying to do an English accent... more just a pompous rich aristocrat accent. Intentionally full of it self and condecending/preachy in tone. I've never had a problem with it. Just like I never had an issue with Hugh Lori's American accent in house, yet some people did.
the pompous rich aristocrat grow their accents from somewhere; wherever it is they learned their habits and Tyrion learned his from the same place as his father brother and sister.

Why can't a simple criticism be made that Peter Dinklage's attempt at an English accent just isn't great. Simple criticism. It doesn't ruin the show, but the show also isn't perfect

Pagusas

Elden Member
as I stated 2 posts above you, I am aware that Peter doesn't care but Emmys don't mean anything to me, apparently they are just a popularity contest now like the Grammys and Emilia Clarke won a bunch that she shouldn't necessarily even been nominated for.

I am also aware that the show is not set in England, but obviously, Dinklage is putting on an accent, since he isn't talking with his natural American voice and everyone around him is speaking with an English accent too.
the pompous rich aristocrat grow their accents from somewhere; wherever it is they learned their habits and Tyrion learned his from the same place as his father brother and sister.

Why can't a simple criticism be made that Peter Dinklage's attempt at an English accent just isn't great. Simple criticism. It doesn't ruin the show, but the show also isn't perfect

No one said a crisitism can't be made, but just as a criticism can be made so can a disageeement with said criticism.

No one said a crisitism can't be made, but just as a criticism can be made so can a disageeement with said criticism.
it's just the defense being made because of the criticism. Dinklage making his own sound for Tyrion instead of an English sound for whatever reason. Whereas it seems to me the most sensible way to look at it is that he tries to sound like Tywin, Cersei & Jaime - who all do sound English - and doesn't do a good job of it.

the first definition of the word on google is: causing feelings of embarrassment or awkwardness.

that to me sums up Dinklage's English accent on Tyrion

Oh please its not that bad. And if you are complaining about accents on the show there is only one champion.

anigif_enhanced-4259-1402410964-28.gif

Close to finishing my re-watch on S2. It's crazy to see Jon's major feat at the time was throwing a fucking lantern at a zombie lol compared to his future accomplishments, it's barely a drop in a bucket.

Close to finishing my re-watch on S2. It's crazy to see Jon's major feat at the time was throwing a fucking lantern at a zombie lol compared to his future accomplishments, it's barely a drop in a bucket.

He went from eating outside with the stable-boys at Winterfell when the King's Company arrived to King of the North in a couple years.

Einchy

it's live on the app the same time the episode is broadcasted?
i'll fucking hate the ending so much, then.

Yeah, actually, it goes live a minute or two before it does on live broadcasting. Also, you can skip all the previously on stuff, so, that's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom