• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJH

The last 20 mins of this episode.

tumblr_nqxcppK3oc1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

LotusHD

Banned
When this is all over with we are going to miss how damn spoiled we have been by this show. Yes it has its issues. Sure it's not perfect.

But there has never been anything like this on TV before and who knows how long it will be before we get something similar

Look forward to the live action adaptation of One Piece ;D

molnizzle

The timeline is screwed up again though.

Dany learns that Casterly Rock was won, because nobody was there to really defend it. Which means several days would have past by time she finds out. In the meantime, Jamie defeats the Tyrells and is still marching the gold and food to Kings Landing... when suddenly Dany shows up to intercept them with her ENTIRE DOKRATHI ARMY and a Dragon, which she had to sail over from Dragonstone.

...??

She didn't go to Casterly Rock or King's Landing. She went to some area between King's Landing and Highgarden, or maybe between Highgarden and Casterly Rock - so where did she come on shore??? And how did she get the army over there in time?

And where are the other two dragons?

The gold had already been dropped in King's Landing. Watch again.

The timeline has never been screwed up, they're just skipping over the boring travel for dramatic effect. Everything lines up.

qcf x2

I think it's just the realization that Arya's list is not a joke to be laughed at.

And that she's possibly crazy. I mean, Arya may be my favorite character but Bran isn't the only one who has lost his humanity. Arya has had bloodlust for many seasons now, but Sansa just knew her as the tomboy sister.

Vyer

Damn that was a hell of an episode.

My own theory is that D&D don't actually care about much of anything in this story past the red wedding. They want to move on and HBO probably doesn't trust anyone else as show runner on something so big and complex so they had to negotiate for the episodes we got.

Lol.

Surprised people still think Dany is going to go all mad king

Dany isn't the mad king analogue, Cersei is

She had always been ruthless and arrogant
Cersei has slowly become increasingly unhinged throughout the series
She was willing to use wild fire within city limits to kill her enemies
She is clearly drunk on power (doesn't even care if her servants see her screwing her brother)
The people hate her and she is ruling through fear. She had made enemies of half the continent.

Dany has spent the entire series learning to be a proper ruler and essentially going through a checklist of different Targaryen personality flaws and learning to do the opposite. She isn't perfect by any means but she is probably the best option outside Jon Snow who doesn't want it or Tyrion who would never be allowed to have it.

She has 3 dragons, is allied with John Snow, and her and her armies are the only real thing stopping the Night King. Story is also called a Song of Ice and Fire. I know its GoT and we are all expecting "OMG TWISTS" but I don't think this is one of them.

Also LOL at the constant complaining about time and teleporting and shit. If you want every detail laid out for you go read the books that GRRM is never going to finish.
All of this

Nameless

The ashes of the Lannisters army raining down on the battlefield towards the end was haunting. And only one dragon did that.

I really feel Bronn should have died. Him lamenting over his coin felt fitting. Not sure what else is left for him, unless he is meant to survive the entire thing and go off.

Also, it bothers me that Dany doesn't have proper dragon riding gear.

Horses have saddles and reigns. Dragons don't?

What is Dany sitting on. And why doesn't she have goggles to help her vision at the speed she's going. I know that seems silly, but it kind of bothers me lol.

Also, Littlefinger has been built up too importantly to fade away, so I have to imagine he plays a part in Arya's demise. It would feel too neat to have him die off because of Arya. And I certainly hope we see Arya/Cleagane reunite and for Arya not to kill him :(

This shot alone probably cost more than some entire episodes on other shows lmao.

When this is all over with we are going to miss how damn spoiled we have been by this show. Yes it has its issues. Sure it's not perfect.

But there has never been anything like this on TV before and who knows how long it will be before we get something similar

This.

That smile at the end from her was so good, and also Brienne's at the last moment. Need to see them kick ass together some day.

It's best to let go of the idea of real time in this show. Things can and will be shown in orders that don't convey the time between them.

I realize that. I was thinking of the problem of the Dothraki. They can't exactly hang out and wait for the Lannister army to arrive at KL. They can't sneak around the countryside; they will stand out a bit. They can't ride in circles looking for the Lannisters.

The only thing that fits at all is that Dany and the Dothraki sprinted in a straight line from Dragonstone to KL and got there at the exact moment to smash into the Lannister army. Makes no sense.

Obviously D&D are going for the exciting moment over tactics and logic. I was just missing a book's attention to logistics at that moment.

people talked about some "seed" that Olenna planted in Jaime's head before she died, this would be the same seed Edmure Tully would've planted in Jaime's head last season but he's still acting like a fuckboy telling Dickon "those men didn't deserve to die, but they served Olenna who was a traitor" - if he's so dead set on being Cersei's dog why did he send Brienne off to protect the Stark sisters? That's the opposite of what Cersei wanted...

NYR

Dany learns that Casterly Rock was won, because nobody was there to really defend it. Which means several days would have past by time she finds out. In the meantime, Jamie defeats the Tyrells and is still marching the gold and food to Kings Landing... when suddenly Dany shows up to intercept them with her ENTIRE DOKRATHI ARMY and a Dragon, which she had to sail over from Dragonstone.

...??

She didn't go to Casterly Rock or King's Landing. She went to some area between King's Landing and Highgarden, or maybe between Highgarden and Casterly Rock - so where did she come on shore??? And how did she get the army over there in time?

The producers already said at the outset of the season in multiple interviews they gave up the timeline aspect of the show because it takes too long for characters to travel from place to place via horse or boat. They said they didn't want to do episodes where people are traveling , they want to do a show about what happens when they reach their destination.

Suspension of belief and a reasonable one in this stage of the show.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What Dany did was brilliant. She utilized her strengths while reducing civilian casualties to zero(not counting any resulting deaths from the supplies that were lost). Soldiers are fair game. Whether they die from wildfire or their own side's arrows or dragon flame they're just as dead. I raised this during Cersei debate and so far I applaud Daenerys for not unleashing hellfire on innocents, though she'll have to at some point to get what she wants. She caught Jaime with a his pants down(and a finger up the bum) but no one is going to willingly face Dragons and Dothraki in open battle like that. She's going to have to fire bomb castles and keeps into submission from this point on. Aegon was willing to spill/boil as much blood as took in his conquest, will she?
I see we're already on the path of rekindling our friendship.

Thanks for replies.

Yeah, I’m just not excited about the scorpion/ballista plot point. Assume 30 of ‘em, still don’t understand their lack of verticality, coupled with the altitude to which the dragons can fly, just doesn’t seem exciting. Wish we had something else. I’d even take something more fantasy-based than something trying to be rooted in reality.

zsynqx

Everyone talking about the battle but no one is talking about how Sansa seems scared of Arya.

Wouldn't you be a little scared after seeing what she's become? They didn't exactly part on great terms either.

That whole reunion felt appropriately awkward.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Get this director back for Season 8!!

Him and Miguel Sapochnik.
I was bummed when Sapochnik wasn't coming back but this guy delivered. Also, this probably won't be the last huge event with 3 episodes left and the run time being so long in the last 2.

Season 5 was pretty crap. Season 6 brought things back a bit.

And what do you mean why am I still watching it? The first four seasons were one of my favorite pieces of media of all time. It was fantasy perfection. It was a story that made me not want to ever write anything ever again because this had been done. You don't think I'd at least be curious about what happens to the characters and story I loved so much?

And yeah I am a bit cynical on things. I blame how utterly awful Euron was this season. I think it's making me question everything and see everything I wouldn't have cared about in a new light.

But the bottom line is that I don't hate everything. There's some great stuff still buried amongst some trash.

And on top of that I don't actually have to hate it to say the things you're replying to. Why does me pointing out that 13 episodes of these last two seasons aren't somehow willed by god himself, that they're actually a choice of the show runners?

I'm not disagreeing with you on the episode count. I was simply stating that at least we're getting more than initially planned. Truth is, DnD don't owe us anything, HBO doesn't, and neither does GRRM. For all we know, we might end up getting a few 2 hour long episodes next season. It's hard to keep quality going for so long, most shows, most books don't manage to do it and it's probably why GRRM hasn't finished because he can't figure it all out. All things considering I think this show has done a pretty good job considering we're like 50-60 hours deep into it.

FiggyCal

Banned

...??

I just assumed she didn't sail them. Dragonstone and Kings Landing aren't that far away from each other.

When Drogon was doing his Death Star trench run on Bronn

and Bronn was lining up the shot

I was like... who do I root for here?!

Honestly, I was pissed the Bronn didn't bite it. He should have.

So many close calls for him. He's not that big a character. What happened to the good old days when favourites were killed off?

Werd

Ah, I thought Drogon tail whipped the wreckage of the burned scorpion out of spite but seeing the GIF I guess it was just a random cart.

zsynqx

I was bummed when Sapochnik wasn't coming back but this guy delivered. Also, this probably won't be the last huge event with 3 episodes left and the run time being so long in the last 2.

Yep, that's what I'm guessing too.

Probably in the Alan Taylor episode. (Penultimate one)

So many close calls for him. He's not that big a character. What happened to the good old days when favourites were killed off?

One of the most popular non "top main cast" was just killed in last week's episode.

I also thought for sure either Bronn, Jamie, or even both were going to be dead there as well but whatever

The gold had already been dropped in King's Landing. Watch again.

The timeline has never been screwed up, they're just skipping over the boring travel for dramatic effect. Everything lines up.

But why was Jamie there then? It did NOT feel like this was a cutaway to a few days later. And besides, the poster you are quoting is correct.

There is something very off with them taking Highgarden, and then Dany and the entire Dothraki BEING there as the army is setting out.

It makes no sense at all. For the news to travel to Dany, and then for her to make that decision is stupid. Like, she was just as likely to not see anything and then go back home.

giphy.gif

Also, what the hell is up with raven carriers in this series. News travels so fast. Does no one care to kill these ravens. Do these ravens always make their deliveries.

Radec

I really wanted for Bron to die there as I was rooting for the dragon.

And Bron already overstayed his presence in this series. But I guess they needed him to save Jaime..

Seriously though everyone watching through TV speakers or tablets/phones. It does not do the battle this ep justice. The Dothraki rumbling to the first dragon fire is insane on a surround system. Insane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom