• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
It kind of seems like they are taking some creative liberties with the size of the world.

Jon got from winterfell to the south awfully fucking fast. Same with arya getting up to the north.

Pretty sure Jon took a boat from White Harbor to Dragonstone. Arya got to Winterfell weeks/months after Jon had left. People gotta realize that this show isn't running in real time. Weeks can pass between scenes.

For example, in the beginning of this last episode, Jaime and the Lannister army start at Highgarden. At the end, they are just south of King's Landing on the Blackwater river, with the gold having already made it to King's Landing. Which means weeks or a month passed in this episode alone.

aBarreras

that's great news, I was guessing that the ratings would take a huge dip thanks to the leak. This was also another episode excelling and proving nudity isn't needed to succeed

edit: sorry for double post

people who wachted the leak, they dont watch it on hbo, believe me

Finally this thread is back on track!

a83e40c14eed9da70f12472a87f12d3e--jon-snow-and-daenerys-ship-it.jpg

That's the thing, I think it is a problem that the Night's Watch doesn't discriminate. If a recruit came from a more humble, decent background and just volunteered, they at least deserve an explanation.

If the deserter was a murderer or a rapist then yeah go ahead and off his head no question.

They do discriminate. Why do you think Jon was Jeor' s squire?

Not just because of his fighting bu5 because He's Ned Stark's son.

Everything is political. Highborns regardless of titles will always get preferential treatment.

Why? Because the Night's Watch has 2 goals: defend the wall and get more men.

Easier to get more men if a brother of the Night's Watch is highborn and their family provides assistance.

That guy that Ned killed had to be lowborn. But he took the vows and once you do that you DO NOT dare desert. When you do your word means nothing anymore. You are reduced to the lowest of lows. Thus you die as a deterrent for others.

I hope Jon Snow has never sex again. Ygritte would be upset and he knows it. Best love story of this show. Emilia and Kit have zero chemistry, whereas Rose and Kit had it on the second they met.

She's a wildling. That wouldn't be very "wildling" of her.

That's the thing, I think it is a problem that the Night's Watch doesn't discriminate. If a recruit came from a more humble, decent background and just volunteered, they at least deserve an explanation.

If the deserter was a murderer or a rapist then yeah go ahead and off his head no question.

Nobody is above a sworn oath. Nobody. This is especially so for Ned "I died for honor" Stark.

They do discriminate. Why do you think Jon was Jeor' s squire?

Not just because of his fighting bu5 because He's Ned Stark's son.

Everything is political. Highborns regardless of titles will always get preferentiaL
What? It wasn't because he was Ned Stark's son, but because Jeor saw potential and promise in Jon. Like Jeor was like the last person on this show to care about titles or who would give someone a position because of their lineage

they swore an oath
ALL OF THEM

Yep. You are there because you were about to lose a body part.

Some volunteer to represent their house so that their house can say we contributed to the wall.

Jon Snow is the only one we know of who volunteered for no reason. Maybe Benjen too.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/08/game-of-thrones-record-ratings-leaked-episode/

Probably already posted but this episode set new ratings record for the series, despite being leaked.
That Drogon thirst is real.

Yep. You are there because you were about to lose a body part.

Some volunteer to represent their house so that their house can say we contributed to the wall.

Jon Snow is the only one we know of who volunteered for no reason. Maybe Benjen too.

Thats not entirely true. I heard from Lord Randall Tarly that he's eldest son Sam, also selflessly volunteered to protect the realm. He said he was proud that his son put the protection of the people over his own worldly titles and inheritance. What a great son eh?

What? It wasn't because he was Ned Stark's son, but because Jeor saw potential and promise in Jon. Like Jeor was like the last person on this show to care about titles or who would give someone a position because of their lineage

It's implied.

Think about it, Jeor Mormont and Aemon Targaryan were both highborn. First Ranger was Benjen Stark. Why were they all highborns?

Those born within a castle are taught how to respect others and how to fight. They simply have a huge advantage in the world in diplomacy.

Especially when it comes to leading. And if there was a fight with the wildings, do you think the Starks, Karstark, Umbers, Mormonts would be more convinced to fight with a highborns in charge of castle black or a lowborn?

The world outside of castle black does matter.

Also Jeor would have known from Benjen that Jon is a great kid.

That Drogon thirst is real.

Thats not entirely true. I heard from Lord Randall Tarly that he's eldest son Sam, also selflessly volunteered to protect the realm. He said he was proud that his son put the protection of the people over his own worldly titles and inheritance. What a great son eh?

Well that's also how Lords probably choose who they want to inherit their lands and titles.

Rick... DICK-ON!!!!! Is a great example.

Heshinsi

Well that's also how Lords probably choose who they want to inherit their lands and titles.

Rick... DICK-ON!!!!! Is a great example.
"Drop all claims you have, and ride North and take the black. Or else, tomorrow we go on a hunting trip, and you know what? Shit happens. You can fall from a revine, or get struck by stray arrow, or even disembowelled by a wild boar. Your choice my boy."

Honestly, one of the jaw dropping moments of last night's episode was Tarly suggesting to flog his own men. That's the first time that I witnessed a Westerosi lord have that sentiment in the show. The Masters in Essos were a given for that mentality, but Tarly is talking about men that just followed him in battle, who betrayed their oaths for him, who slaughtered and sacked their capital for him. Jesus Christ man, relax.

-griffy-

Banned
"Drop all claims you have, and ride North and take the black. Or else, tomorrow we go on a hunting trip, and you know what? Shit happens. You can fall from a revine, or get struck by stray arrow, or even disembowelled by a wild boar. Your choice my boy."

Honestly, one of the jaw dropping moments of last night's episode was Tarly suggesting to flog his own men. That's the first time that I witnessed a Westerosi lord have that sentiment in the show. The Masters in Essos were a given for that mentality, but Tarly is talking about men that just followed him in battle, who betrayed their oaths for him, who slaughtered and sacked their capital for him. Jesus Christ man, relax.

Roose Bolton did suggest flaying their Lannister prisoners back in season 2, which Robb wasn't too happy about considering torture like that was outlawed in the North.

It's implied.

Think about it, Jeor Mormont and Aemon Targaryan were both highborn. First Ranger was Benjen Stark. Why were they all highborns?

Those born within a castle are taught how to respect others and how to fight. They simply have a huge advantage in the world in diplomacy.

Especially when it comes to leading. And if there was a fight with the wildings, do you think the Starks, Karstark, Umbers, Mormonts would be more convinced to fight with a highborns in charge of castle black or a lowborn?

It's probably cause Jon spends like 2 episodes really teaching the new recruits on how to fight, which is straight up leadership quality, and pretty impressive for a new recruit himself.

Also they don't really talk about the rest of the brothers at the Watch, but only Benjen and Jon volunteered when they could have spent the rest of their life in relative luxury.

Heshinsi

Roose Bolton did suggest flaying their Lannister prisoners back in season 2, which Robb wasn't too happy about considering torture like that was outlawed in the North.
Who? I don't know of this individual or house you speak of.

Seriously though, yeah I was thinking more of the southern lords we've been introduced to. The Boltons have a flayed man as their sigil. I wasn't expecting a Tyrell bannermen to be such a cunt, even after what he did to Sam. Plus these weren't their enemies Tarly was talking about, it was their own army...after a victory.

It's implied.

Janos Slynt also seems to immediately be put at a high rank, having been made a lord prior to getting kicked out by Tyrion.

Gin-Shiio

People: "Don't kinkshame Jamie and Cersei!"

People: "Jon and Dany who are related will have hot and steamy sex and you will like it!"

Me: "Guys, I think Jorah and Dany have a cute, one-sided romance."

People: "That's gross, he could be her father!"

Me:
giphy.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do you want him to explain it with hand signs and an interpreter, a series of powerpoint slides projected on a cave wall, or as a play performed by wights?
It can all be subtitled and be shown as an abstract French film~

An entire episode for his backstory? Fuck, I'd be in. Especially if they frame it as a vision of Bran.
Flashback to a young Night King being rejected by one of the Children and going full psycho after. :p

Yeah I get confused with the locations and time. You'd think the NK and his army would have hit the wall ages ago considering people can go from one location to another pretty quickly.
It's weird when everyone has the ability to teleport except the magical zombies.

Well, he's not really doing nothing. He's adding to his wight collection. While a great deal of wildlings were at hardhome, there are still wildlings and beasts beyond the wall to add to his dead army.

But maybe most important to the plot, the wall has a spell woven into the ice so he can't past it anyway. Unless it's revealed that the White Walkers are sailors, then they can't move past the wall until something can be done about the magic wall that blocks them from where they want to be.
I know that they're in pure plot mode at this point, and they're trying to do as much as possible by having different people meet in every episode, but Jon's threat that "Winter is coming" isn't really something that can be taken seriously when there's no consequence for wasting time on King's Landing politics. Hardhome was 2 seasons ago and it seems like nothing has happened up north since then.

Heshinsi

So ah, did the children create the Night King with the power to resurrect the dead? What were they expecting to do with the thousands of dead humans after they beat the First Men? This is Sand Snakes level of stupidity. It's a throwback to the story of the golem that was created to protect, but ended up doing the opposite.

Judging from Bran's reaction to tree girl when he found out, no one else knows that the White Walkers were made by the Children. Can't wait for Bran to pass that info onto Jon.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So ah, did the children create the Night King with the power to resurrect the dead? What were they expecting to do with the thousands of dead humans after they beat the First Men? This is Sand Snakes level of stupidity. It's a throwback to the story of the golem that was created to protect, but ended up doing the opposite.

Judging from Bran's reaction to tree girl when he found out, no one else knows that the White Walkers were made by the Children. Can't wait for Bran to pass that info onto Jon.

Snitches get stitches and Bran ain't no snitch.

Heshinsi

Snitches get stitches and Bran ain't no snitch.
Haha, there were a few frames the Children missed in that #AlternativeFacts cave drawings they made.

Bad Men arrive --> We're losing the fight --> We make monsters

Man and Children friends --> Fight together against monsters

kAmui-

Nah, the scene cuts off cause she basically stops the conversation by bringing up the knee thing again.

I fully 100% expect one of them to suggest marriage as a way to unite them and circumvent the knee thing.

I've felt like that's where the story is going since Dany left Daario at the end of S6. That would be the obvious thing though so there probably should (and will) be some twist to that.

Nameless

I've felt like that's where the story is going since Dany left Daario at the end of S6. That would be the obvious thing though so there probably should (and will) be some twist to that.

This is my thinking too. Even if they agree to it things will come crashing to a halt once Jon returns North and Bran The Buzzkill hits him with that Targ bomb.

Zolo

Nobody is above a sworn oath. Nobody. This is especially so for Ned "I died for honor" Stark.

Also the oath isn't sworn as soon as you get there. Everyone who makes the oath knows what the wall is before they do so. Most just don't really have a choice anyway because being sent there was their punishment.

Why is it 'cool' to hate on things now?

My boss and I just had a long conversation about this episode and were gushing about it, at the end he mentioned "Have you seen <freelancer who does work for us> facebook, he hated it?" and here we go:
iem3kKC.jpg

I guess it just shows how different we all are, I loved this episode but he seemingly hated it.

As a note we all work in the tv/film industry. I'm an animator and my boss is a director. The freelancer who's facebook that is; is a a Director of Photography.

I really, really, really, really, REALLY hate people like this.

Like, we're just trying to suspend our disbelief here and enjoy a fucking eight season fantasy story come to an end.

When there's dragons and resurrected heroes and undead armies walking around, why do you care so much about "realism".

Also, yes, people just like to hate popular things because it makes them appear smart, or "better".

Fuck that guy though, seriously.

I really, really, really, really, REALLY hate people like this.

Like, we're just trying to suspend our disbelief here and enjoy a fucking eight season fantasy story come to an end.

When there's dragons and resurrected heroes and undead armies walking around, why do you care so much about "realism".

Also, yes, people just like to hate popular things because it makes them appear smart, or "better".

Fuck that guy though, seriously.
There's no way that guy isn't a gaf user tbh

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Haha, there were a few frames the Children missed in that #AlternativeFacts cave drawings they made.

Bad Men arrive --> We're losing the fight --> We make monsters

Man and Children friends --> Fight together against monsters

Jon and Davos didn't know about that first part so how could they draw it?

RDreamer

And I really really REALLY hate this stupid defense, especially when it's directed at a series that got insanely popular largely because of its realism. Game of Thrones was sold to millions as a more grounded fantasy series.

Like, I get it, you loved the episode. That's great. Continue enjoying the episode and definitely don't let nitpickers and critiques sour your enjoyment. You like what you like. But don't give this stupid defense of this stuff. Fantasy does care about realism. Fantasy writing has to explain where it breaks from reality and where it doesn't to keep itself believable. Fantasy writers don't just get to throw whatever the fuck they want at the walls and say its fantasy. You set up rules and expectations. Sometimes you break those rules, but in controlled ways. You foreshadow some bigger things.

It's implied.

Aliser Thorne was also highborn as well. And sam.

Heshinsi

This is my thinking too. Even if they agree to it things will come crashing to a halt once Jon returns North and Bran The Buzzkill hits him with that Targ bomb.
If everything is expected to end in a twist, then I too am expecting a twist.

The Nights King is going to finally make it to the wall. His armies would appear to stretch unending as the camera sweeps across. Our heros would look down from the top of the wall in dread, as a lone figure on horseback breaks from the army and moves towards the wall.

"It's him! It's the Night's King!" Jon proclaims, his voice tinged with a slight undercurrent of fear.

The Night King rides forward confidently. Centuries of waiting, planning, and assembling his armies have all led up to this point. He suddenly stops as he effortlessly glides off of his undead mount.

"What's he doing?" asks an off screen extra whose name we'll never know.

The White Walker commander stares up at the wall, where he knows countless eyes are looking down at him with breathless anticipation. With a smirk beginning to spread on his lips, the Night King does an about face, pulls down his pants, and moons the shocked audience that can't fathom what they are witnessing. He proceeds to recover his modesty, climb back on his horse, and with a sly wave towards Jon Snow and his compatriots, returns to his army and retreats back to the frozen wastes beyond. Where he'll wait for the time when man needs to be reminded of what lays beyond.

Just as Roman mothers would for centuries tell their children of the time that Hannibal was at the gates, so to would future Westerosi mothers tell their children of the time when the Night King was at the wall.

That's what I think is going to happen. It's so obvious that they want us to think that the White Walkers are actually trying to breach the wall, so clearly we should be expecting a swerve right? Can't be that straight forward. I see you HBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom