• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

If everything is expected to end in a twist, then I too am expecting a twist.

The Nights King is going to finally make it to the wall. His armies would appear to stretch unending as the camera sweeps across. Our heros would look down from the top of the wall in dread, as a lone figure on horseback breaks from the army and moves towards the wall.

"It's him! It's the Night's King!" Jon proclaims, his voice tinged with a slight undercurrent of fear.

The Night King rides forward confidently. Centuries of waiting, planning, and assembling his armies have all led up to this point. He suddenly stops as he effortlessly glides off of his undead mount.

"What's he doing?" asks an off screen extra whose name we'll never know.

The White Walker commander stares up at the wall, where he knows countless eyes are looking down at him with breathless anticipation. With a smirk beginning to spread on his lips, the Night King does an about face, pulls down his pants, and moons the shocked audience that can't fathom what they are witnessing. He proceeds to recover his modesty, climb back on his horse, and with a sly wave towards Jon Snow and his compatriots, returns to his army and retreats back to the frozen wastes beyond. Where he'll wait for the time when man needs to be reminded of what lays beyond.

Just as Roman mothers would for centuries tell their children of the time that Hannibal was at the gates, so to would future Westerosi mothers tell their children of the time when the Night King was at the wall.

That's what I think is going to happen. It's so obvious that they want us to think that the White Walkers are actually trying to breach the wall, so clearly we should be expecting a swerve right? Can't be that straight forward. I see you HBO.

I feel like this episode has to be called "The Looooong Night".

Nameless

Arya hit those Winterfell loot boxes hard. Love how she and Jon both model their look after Ned, from the hair to the armor.

oa3hg04edjez.jpg

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I could not roll my eyes any harder at a video if I tried, haha.

This would make much more sense if it was paired with scenes of Cersei blowing up King's Landing using wildfire, which is literally what the Mad King wanted to do.
Jamie's worry was that thousands of innocent men, women, and children would be murdered with fire in their homes and slaughtered. Sorry Jamie, soldiers returning from pillaging caught in an open field, is eh. Am I supposed to feel something from this video? It's like someone making a video where I'm supposed to feel sorry for ISIS scum being bombed by jets, bombers, attack helicopters, and drones.

I like Jaime, but yeah.

Heshinsi

Just gets given the epic dagger. No fair.
So how does she factor into the war against the White Walkers? I can't see how her skills can be used, unless she can face swap with the dead and can then sneak past them to do surgical strikes on the White Walker leadership.

I could not roll my eyes any harder at a video if I tried, haha.

This would make much more sense if it was paired with scenes of Cersei blowing up King's Landing using wildfire, which is literally what the Mad King wanted to do.

Jamie's worry was that thousands of innocent men, women, and children would be murdered with fire in their homes and slaughtered. Sorry Jamie, soldiers returning from pillaging caught in an open field, is eh. Am I supposed to feel something from this video? It's like someone making a video where I'm supposed to feel sorry for ISIS scum being bombed by jets, bombers, attack helicopters, and drones.

I like Jaime, but yeah.

Yeah. The Lannisters and Tarlys were returning from murdering the Tyrell forces and robbing Highgarden. If anything it's retaliation for their own actions.

Watching some season 1, it's funny how much Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's Danish accent comes through. I don't know how I didn't notice it before, but it's quite a contrast to how Jaime sounds now.

- Use prisoner Jaime to go in and reason with the Mad Queen to open the doors, or Drogon & Co. burn everyone. Danny doesn't want to do cuz she wants to be loved
- Goes in trying to reason with her, the Mad Dumb Queen refuses
- She then says to Qyburn to set everything ready to burn at a later point in the ep to burn everyone when she finds out she took the L

Dang, this might happen. Im getting flashbacks to when Jamie sent Edmure in to open the gates after the Blackfish had riverrun locked down. Only this time Jamie is the prisoner, dany is the one convincing, and Cercei is the Blackfish who locked down kings landing. Mix that with Jamie stabbing mad queen cercei and its a Deja Vu sammich.
n5Wg8Y.gif

Is anyone else bothered that Jamie is this great tragic hero... but that he so mercilessly pushed Bran down the tower? I feel like it was better for Cersei to have done that. Unless I misremember, it's the one thing that makes Jamie not as heroic as he's been built up to be. It bothers me because... well he pushed a kid with the intention to kill him and thought nothing of it

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've felt like that's where the story is going since Dany left Daario at the end of S6. That would be the obvious thing though so there probably should (and will) be some twist to that.
I mean it makes a ton of sense even outside of the shipping stuff.

That's a quite childish and inflammatory post.

Fuck the books my favourite TV series, one of the biggest ever, is based off of and which delivered so many fantastic moments!

The last few seasons have really shown the quality of the source material has made this series, not the show writers themselves. Let's be real, character moments such as Tyrion's trial, him killing Tywin, Jaimie's bath scene with Briene and many more haven't been matched as of late. Shocks have all fallen flat compared to the red wedding, the mountain vs the viper, Ned's beheading, etc.

But no, fuck the books.

Is anyone else bothered that Jamie is this great tragic hero... but that he so mercilessly pushed Bran down the tower? I feel like it was better for Cersei to have done that. Unless I misremember, it's the one thing that makes Jamie not as heroic as he's been built up to be. It bothers me because... well he pushed a kid with the intention to kill him and thought nothing of it

Things are never black and white. A large part of Jaimie's identity was his fighting prowess which he lost with his hand. His development into a humble, tragic character came as a result of losing his previous identity. Thus he becomes a tragic hero. His portrayal as 'kingslayer' was the result of being found sitting on the Iron Throne, after killing the mad king, by the honourable Ned Stark. He knew no one would care for his side so forced himself into becoming the character we see in season 1, a person who would kill a child to protect his incestuous affair. Losing his hand shattered his outer walls and exposed his true self once again

Edit - His arc has been botched a bit as of late and he never really pushed on from the bath house scene. Further breakdown of his character should have come after being responsible for his father's death and shunned by cersei.

Huh? The beauty of Jamie's character is how he went from a pompous, arrogant monster, like Cersei, to being humbled and having a heart.

Heshinsi

His lover, Cersei, burned them all in the Great Sept.

vLtT4QP.jpg

Don't forget he randomly killed his cousin, used that to kill a guard (that was a Karstark boy wasn't it?), only to run and be caught in an hour or two. That killing of the guard leads to old man Karstark killing two more of Jamie's cousins. Brilliant move there fuck head.

Lulubop

there's also that time he raped cersei under joffrey's dead body, and that was after all his travels and shit.

Fuck Jamie.

Huh? The beauty of Jamie's character is how he went from a pompous, arrogant monster, like Cersei, to being humbled and having a heart.

I guess, I just find it hard to forget that he did that to Bran and then turn it all around.

there's also that time he raped cersei under joffrey's dead body, and that was after all his travels and shit.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That was so gross. Did Cersei force herself on him at times too?

Volimar

Jaime's heart is so big. Remember when he threatened Edmure Tully that he'd put his infant child on a catapult? What a great guy.

The thing with Jaime is that he's most of us. Honorable until we don't want to be, then we can rationalize doing the worst things.

Heshinsi

Jaime's heart is so big. Remember when he threatened Edmure Tully that he'd put his infant child on a catapult? What a great guy.

The thing with Jaime is that he's most of us. Honorable until we don't want to be, then we can rationalize doing the worst things.

Pushing Bran out the window? He had to do it to protect his secret.

Threatening Edmure by telling him he'd launch his baby into the walls of Riverrun? He desperately wanted to get back to the woman he loved.

Raping Cersei while the body of Joffrey laid in wake? People mourn in different ways.

Bashing his cousin's head in to attempt what he assuredly knew was a hopeless get away? Hmm...I can't even pull some BS excuse for that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Pushing Bran out the window? He had to do it to protect his secret.

Threatening Edmure by telling him he'd launch his baby into the walls of Riverrun? He desperately wanted to get back to the woman he loved.

Raping Cersei while the body of Joffrey laid in wake? People mourn in different ways.

Bashing his cousin's head in to attempt what he assuredly knew was a hopeless get away? Hmm...I can't even pull some BS excuse for that.

Hey man, when you kidnapped you gonna try and get away. That's just being people.

HvySky

Just saw this in another thread. Have we gotten any callbacks to this great man or line yet?

f7697f91079a5f56e26f49ab404c8259d2fa82e5cc2360f8b12dca336b81dd22.jpg

Arya did train with Brienne using water dancing, the fighting style that Syrio was teaching her. She seems to have mastered it, or at least gotten damn close to.

Arya killing Meryn Trant was probably the last time he was directly referenced?

Heshinsi

Syrio was seriously OP, dude KOed a bunch of knights with a wooden sword. He didn't deserve to die there.
Yeah, but it did directly led to one of the funniest Hound scenes ever.

Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: "Was"? He dead?

Arya Stark: Yes!

Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: How?

Arya Stark: He was killed!

Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: Who by?

Arya Stark: Meryn Trant! That's why Ser Meryn's on my...

Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: Meryn Trant? The greatest swordsman who ever lived, killed by Meryn fucking Trant?

Arya Stark: He was outnumbered!

Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: Any boy whore with a sword could beat three Meryn Trants.

Arya Stark: Syrio didn't HAVE a sword! OR armor, just a stick!

Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: The greatest swordsman who ever lived didn't have a sword?

I die every time I come across this scene.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That's a quite childish and inflammatory post.

Fuck the books my favourite TV series, one of the biggest ever, is based off of and which delivered so many fantastic moments!

The last few seasons have really shown the quality of the source material has made this series, not the show writers themselves. Let's be real, character moments such as Tyrion's trial, him killing Tywin, Jaimie's bath scene with Briene and many more haven't been matched as of late. Shocks have all fallen flat compared to the red wedding, the mountain vs the viper, Ned's beheading, etc.

But no, fuck the books.

Jesus, chill out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom