• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
meh. it was an ok scene. everyone knew about that theory and it was pretty anti-climatic for me. whats worse is that they didnt even confirm his father's identity.

If you mean everyone posting in the GoT threads? Yeah, but that's mostly thanks to books theories leaking over here and all around online but that blindsides the hell out of people. And they did confirm who his father was, the thing is, since most people didn't know the theory and didn't remember all the details, they really weren't sure who the father was but if you knew the theory, then that scene confirmed it.

meh. it was an ok scene. everyone knew about that theory and it was pretty anti-climatic for me. whats worse is that they didnt even confirm his father's identity.

They pretty much did. I mean, Rhaegar sent his best swordsman and the lord commander of the Kingsguard to watch a solitary outpost containing only a pregnant Lyanna and a midwife. Why on Earth would Rhaegar do that if it wasn't his child?

televator

Lol, nice cast list. Is he saying that Missandei looks like Emma Watson though?!

Ah, right you are! Never mind then.

They share a forlorn look that says a lot without speaking. Perhaps Sansa told her off screen (before they went to meet Bran), but I think Arya realises what's up.

That look was more...

"Bran's home too." ... but Sansa pauses because Bran wierds her out. Sansa's expression then carries over to slightly worry Arya. That's what that conveyed to me anyway.

Which feels a little too forced. How did the gold make it back so much faster than the army? What the hell were they waiting for? Shouldn't the army have gone with the gold to protect it?

Yeah I definitely feel the same way. All the gold already making its destination takes away from how much of a hit that battle could've been. And like you said it's so convenient how there are soldiers still there on the battlefield when they took care of their objective already.

Remember last week when that youtuber who's never watched GoT reviewed episode 3? Well he's done one for episode 4 now too.

https://youtu.be/03xHNhLgd1Y

The Cast:

Lagolas Queen
Bastard King
Handsome Guy in Armour
Greasy Mullet Guy
Short Hair Queen
Weird Raven Kid (AKA Harry Potter)
Rat Assistant
Red Hair Queen
Pelt Girl
Young Sad Girl
Super Tall Woman
Bi-Racial Emma Watson
Bodyguard Friend
Hell yes! I'm at work so I can't watch it now but I have been wondering if the guy didn't a follow up. He picked the perfect time to do it, too

Edit: sorry for double post

How is some orcs running away and getting slaughtered by horses better than battle of the bastards, that is not even a battle, and that is not even the best in the triology.

The best part of BoB is the (possibly) single take moment after Jon is prepared to die, and then the cavalry back him up and he starts carving through people left and right. It felt really intense and in the moment.

bratpack

The Behind the Scenes said they took 18 days just to film the "Loot Train" battle.

6 episodes for 2018 is looking dicey.

wow but don't they film some episodes at the same time and have 2 sets of cast and crews simoutansly filming?

I guess that was easier back in the other seasons cause characters were everywhere now everyone is kinda linking in together

Tawpgun

Damn I totally forgot you can't really kill wights conventionally either. I mean you can cut their arms and legs off (heads maybe? Not sure how their sight works)

Man they were so fucked before they found the dragonglass. Jon def needs a dragon on his side. And hope Giant Wights don't have dragon killing bows.

FeD.nL

Yeah I definitely feel the same way. All the gold already making its destination takes away from how much of a hit that battle could've been. And like you said it's so convenient how there are soldiers still there on the battlefield when they took care of their objective already.

Well in the first scene with Jaime and Bronn we see Jaime getting the gold for Bronn and see the carriage leaving. At that time they still need to pick up a lot of the harvest, the point of the whole bit where Jaime sends Bronn to do it.

So the gold was already well on its way, but the food is at the end of the march because that had to be picked up. Now the issue I have with the battle is that they make a point out of that Dany lost the reach and thus doesn't have enough food for her armies. Yet here she swoops in a purposely attacks all the wagons with food. Like why?

Damn, Giant wights would be walking scorpions.

A couple dozen of those would be deadly to dragons.

It's white walkers right.
Not wight.

White Walkers(icemen?) are the ones controlling the wights(zombies)

Now the issue I have with the battle is that they make a point out of that Dany lost the reach and thus doesn't have enough food for her armies. Yet here she swoops in a purposely attacks all the wagons with food. Like why?

The simple answer would be that's definitely not all the food. The reach is massive, there's no way burning a dozen(or 2) wagons is all the reach had.
Dany is depriving her enemies of food, this will work to her advantage when she plans to siege KL.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Man they were so fucked before they found the dragonglass. Jon def needs a dragon on his side. And hope Giant Wights don't have dragon killing bows.

It's gonna look so badass when Jon arms a ton of people with black swords.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Well in the first scene with Jaime and Bronn we see Jaime getting the gold for Bronn and see the carriage leaving. At that time they still need to pick up a lot of the harvest, the point of the whole bit where Jaime sends Bronn to do it.

So the gold was already well on its way, but the food is at the end of the march because that had to be picked up. Now the issue I have with the battle is that they make a point out of that Dany lost the reach and thus doesn't have enough food for her armies. Yet here she swoops in a purposely attacks all the wagons with food. Like why?
Because to her it could be both the gold and the food. How would she know the gold was in another caravan that's already made it to KL?

Plus, combining what Tarly said about the rear not being able to reinforce the front if they're ambushed, and his request to go back and flog the stragglers (clearly he wasn't talking about the guys they had sitting around by them), indicates that Dany attacked the front of the supply train. There's still the rear with more supplies, food, and provisions on their way.

The simple answer would be that's definitely not all the food. The reach is massive, there's no way burning a dozen(or 2) wagons is all the reach had.
Dany is depriving her enemies of food, this will work to her advantage when she plans to siege KL.
She's also not allowing them to run and horrifying the hell out of them by having fire behind and insane barbarians in front of them. Most of those guys were shook, but gaf is filled with expert tacticians that have won many battles so we should trust that she can win without losing any men, killing every Lannister and it all ending perfectly due to tactics :S

With the beginning of the episode it's still hard to suspend belief of how the gold gets there before everything else. The soldiers, the food, the soldiers, everything.

With Danny burning the food, she doesn't know that the gold is already in King's Landing. Hell, does she even know that Cersei is working with the Iron Bank? How does she know that it was food inside of the carriages?

televator

I hope Bran makes himself more useful and we get at least a couple more flash back scenes. I'd like to know... just who the fuck was Blood Raven anyway?

You book and unofficial wiki guys buzz off on answering that...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
With the beginning of the episode it's still hard to suspend belief of how the gold gets there before everything else. The soldiers, the food, the soldiers, everything.

With Danny burning the food, she doesn't know that the gold is already in King's Landing. Hell, does she even know that Cersei is working with the Iron Bank? How does she know that it was food inside of the carriages?

She doesn't know any of that. She doesn't know about the money or the food. She attacked their army because it's a war and that's what you do.

Heshinsi

People really need to listen to the conversations the characters have. The same way people are missing that the gold made it, they're also missing that the forces transporting the supplies are also split. Tarly asking to go flog people, indicates he wants to go back and get the rear to catch up. It would make no sense for him to ask Jaime to allow him to flog the guys Jaime is watching resting.

Why also bring up the whole lack of reinforcement if ambushed, and why would Jaime agree that they are stretched out, if the forces were simply split between those transporting the gold (who've already made it to safety), and those transporting the food?

FeD.nL

Yeah true. That I could see.

Because to her it could be both the gold and the food. How would she know the gold was in another caravan that's already made it to KL?

Plus, combining what Tarly said about the rear not being able to reinforce the front if they're ambushed, and his request to go back and flog the stragglers (clearly he wasn't talking about the guys they had sitting around by them), indicates that Dany attacked the front of the supply train. There's still the rear with more supplies, food, and provisions on their way.

If that's really gonna be the explanation than Varys has truly become the most useless spymaster in Westeros. And on the stragglers wasn't he talking about the wounded of the battle against the Tyrells?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You're making an unsubstantiated jump with the bold, there's nothing to back up that assertion. He could well just be fearing an attack while their forces are split.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

You mean to tell me they have different names?

She's also not allowing them to run and horrifying the hell out of them by having fire behind and insane barbarians in front of them. Most of those guys were shook, but gaf is filled with expert tacticians that have won many battles so we should trust that she can win without losing any men, killing every Lannister and it all ending perfectly due to tactics :S

Ha, yeah. It would be stupid of her to kill all the men there. The writers have already called this the ''Loot train attack'' so it's supposed to be a specific mission.

She could've fire swooped all the men that were standing in formation but burned 20 or so men and opened a breach for the Dothraki, then burned a couple dozen more and mainly aimed for the wagons. Horrifying sight for the opposing army, not to mention Dothraki screamers in every direction.

Lol, they have to surrender.

Wights and White Walkers? Yeah, the wights are just dead people resurrected with some kind of necromancy. The Night King and the White Walkers are mutated ice people.

-griffy-

Banned
Do people not understand the concept of a caravan? It's not like the entire army is traveling as one bunched up group and when they get to the gates of King's Landing that's it, they're all there. It's A LOT of people traveling in a line stretching probably miles and miles along the road, some parts traveling slower than others due to the crap they are transporting. They prioritized the gold for obvious reasons, which is why it got to the destination first.

Heshinsi

Yeah true. That I could see.

If that's really gonna be the explanation than Varys has truly become the most useless spymaster in Westeros. And on the stragglers wasn't he talking about the wounded of the battle against the Tyrells?

No I don't think so, and I know Tarly is a cunt, but the idea that he would even suggest to flog the wounded is Ramsay Bolton levels of nutty.

You're making an unsubstantiated jump with the bold, there's nothing to back up that assertion. He could well just be fearing an attack while their forces are split.

It's based on Tarly's comment to flog the stragglers. Do you honestly believe he's referring to the guys that are currently there with them? If he isn't referring to them, by definition stragglers would mean that they are a force that's behind them, which would mean Jaime is leading the front of the supply train. It isn't an "unsubstantiated leap".

People really need to listen to the conversations the characters have. The same way people are missing that the gold made it, they're also missing that the forces transporting the supplies are also split. Tarly asking to go flog people, indicates he wants to go back and get the rear to catch up. It would make no sense for him to ask Jaime to allow him to flog the guys Jaime is watching resting.

Why also bring up the whole lack of reinforcement if ambushed, and why would Jaime agree that they are stretched out, if the forces were simply split between those transporting the gold (who've already made it to safety), and those transporting the food?

That would involve paying attention which is what 75% of the people who watch this show seem incapable of.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's based on Tarly's comment to flog the stragglers. Do you honestly believe he's referring to the guys that are currently there with them? If he isn't referring to them, by definition stragglers would mean that they are a force that's behind them, which would mean Jaime is leading the front of the supply train. It isn't an "unsubstantiated leap".

We know he's not at the front of the supply train because the gold was at the front of the train and that's already made it to King's Landing.

Tawpgun

A surprising amount of people don't know this difference.

They look completley different for one, and then there was the scene where the children create a white walker and also the scene where the white walkers turn babies into other white walkers.

pestul

I know everyone hates the plot armour for mains in S7E4.. but was it really that bad? I mean, it looks like 4 characters are in pretty serious peril at the end of it. For all we know, we could see some Tarly's eaten by dragons, or perhaps even Bronn.

I'd be seriously pissed if Jaime and Bronn just 'get away' though.

Heshinsi

We know he's not at the front of the supply train because the gold was at the front of the train and that's already made it to King's Landing.
That's where I believe we have two different understanding of what's happening. The gold was already on the move while Jaime and the Tarlys were stealing the food from the farmers. I think the gold is its own caravan, and the food and supplies transport is split between the two groups Tarly mentions. Otherwise, who does he want to go back to and flog?

I know everyone hates the plot armour for mains in S7E4.. but was it really that bad? I mean, it looks like 4 characters are in pretty serious peril at the end of it. For all we know, we could see some Tarly's eaten by dragons, or perhaps even Bronn.

I'd be seriously pissed if Jaime and Bronn just 'get away' though.

Wasn't bad for me, yes Bronn should have died there but I'm glad he's alive.
If only so that he and Tyrion could talk.

FeD.nL

No I don't think so, and I know Tarly is a cunt, but the idea that he would even suggest to flog the wounded is Ramsay Bolton levels of nutty.

Well that's clearly what both Jaime and especially Bronn thought going by their reactions.

Iirc the conversation goes

Tarly: With your permission flogging stragglers has a marked effect on mobility

Jaime get caught off guard and Bronn looks very distraught

Jaime: Lets give them fair warning first, these men (nods at the army behind Randyll) fought well at Highgarden.

Jaime and Bronn look at each other in a way of 'did he really just say that'.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's where I believe we have two different understanding of what's happening. The gold was already on the move while Jaime and the Tarlys were stealing the food from the farmers. I think the gold is its own caravan, and the food transport is split between the two groups Tarly mentions. Otherwise, who does he want to go back to and flog?

They could still well be in the middle of the train, you're naturally going to spread your commanders out across the whole thing so if any one section gets attacks it won't all fall to shit. There's just not enough information given to make a definitive statement on something like that and frankly it doesn't matter anyway.

Well that's clearly what both Jaime and especially Bronn thought going by their reactions.

Iirc the conversation goes

Tarly: With your permission flogging stragglers has a marked effect on mobility

Jaime get caught off guard and Bronn looks very distraught

Jaime: Lets give them fair warning first, these men (nods at the army behind Randyll) fought well at Highgarden.

Jaime and Bronn look at each other in a way of 'did he really just say that'.

I'd like to point out that the scene also features a bunch of soldiers lazing about, lying down and resting when they make that cut.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
A surprising amount of people don't know this difference.

They look completley different for one, and then there was the scene where the children create a white walker and also the scene where the white walkers turn babies into other white walkers.
Why not pick names that don't sound exactly the same??

Heshinsi

They could still well be in the middle of the train, you're naturally going to spread your commanders out across the whole thing so if any one section gets attacks it won't all fall to shit. There's just not enough information given to make a definitive statement on something like that and frankly it doesn't matter anyway.

Well middle of the full train but head of the supply train lol. Dammit we're both saying the same thing. I'm just removing the gold out of the picture since they've already made it. So the middle is now first no?

"The head of the line is ambushed, the tail would never be able to make it in time to reinforce." - Randall Tarly

The gold is safe, so who is the head of the line, who is the tail? Plus looking at where Dragonstone is, how would Dany attack the tail without first encountering the head of their lines?

-griffy-

Banned
Why not pick names that don't sound exactly the same??

Without getting too off topic, the name the white walkers are most often referred to as in the source was the Others, which was deemed too similar to the Others from Lost, which was a very popular show still in the public consciousness when Game of Thrones premiered.

gosox333

Posting what I posted in that other GoT time thread because I'm still curious.

Has it been officially stated anywhere how long it's been since episode one to where the show is now? Or are we just left to assume it's been real-time and 6 years have gone by?

Posting what I posted in that other GoT time thread because I'm still curious.

Has it been officially stated anywhere how long it's been since episode one to where the show is now? Or are we just left to assume it's been real-time and 6 years have gone by?

Not sure if it's 6.

Thought the timeline was 2 or 3 years since the start. Though with aging Bran and baby Sam growing ever slowly, I can't even tell.

Heshinsi

Not sure if it's 6.

Thought the timeline was 2 or 3 years since the start. Though with aging Bran and baby Sam growing ever slowly, I can't even tell.
Doesn't Sansa say something about her age in season 3 (it could have been 4) that indicated that a year had gone by till that point?

Doesn't Sansa say something about her age in season 3 (it could have been 4) that indicated that a year had gone by till that point?

Ah yeah, think she said she was 14(15?), Tyrion was having hang ups about being married to her. Remember Bronn thinking what's the big deal since a lot of lords do it but Tyrion thankfully thought it was gross.

Gotta be season 4.

Even then, it was a really well directed scene. I loved everything about it. It was also pretty obvious that his father is Rhaegar.

Heshinsi

Ah yeah, think she said she was 14(15?), Tyrion was having hang ups about being married to her. Remember Bronn thinking what's the big deal since a lot of lords do it but Tyrion thankfully thought it was gross.

Gotta be season 4.
Yeah it was the tail end of season 3, and I believe Sansa stated in the first season that she was 13.

Funny enough looking up vids, I came across a scene I had forgotten, where Tyrion tells Sansa that he has a list, and Sansa replies, "a list of names of people you want to kill?!" Haha, so Sunday wasn't the first time Sansa has heard of kill lists.

riotous

Banned

It was immediately confirmed on HBOs web sites. The scene showed it and implied it then they updated the lore on their web sites which confirmed it.

redfox088

Banned
So much of the Lannister army does everyone say got ded? About 1/4?
Can't really tell because some of the army was occupying casterly rock. Let's say that was 1/5 of the Lannister forces. The other 4/5 collaborated with with Tyrell banner men. If this was the back end of the tarly/Lannister forces I would wager possibly 1/5-2/5 of the Lannister forces ,with a small group of tarly men included, got scorched. This is purely speculation on my part. A very slow work day today.

Next Episode:
My Queen I have cured myself and came back to live the rest of my days at your side.
tumblr_natz6xl3ty1tjonf2o2_500.gif

I Iov...
_5QyeCdXIxul.jpg

...you...
anigif_enhanced-buzz-32572-1402517964-7.gif

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Per little birdie sources of Westeros, after an MRI, Drogon has been officially diagnosed with a right shoulder abrasion. Placed on the 15 day DL, should be ok in a couple of weeks.

televator

I wonder if Davo's actor was made aware of Emilia Clarke calling him a "handsome badger" in the DVD extras. Now that they had to film in the same locations, that would have been a funny thing to bring up. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom