• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season has been absolutely phenomenal. Best one so far.
Jon x Dany is what's most important to me.

This is a love story now, everything else is secondary
Did Randyll Tarly die?
I thought there was one shot showing a bald man burning to death, near the water.
Didn't pay attention to the armour though

I thought the same during this scene. His hair was mostly burned off anyway, so who knows.
Nah, if Randyl died they would've focused on him more. I think he's still alive but Dany will make an example out of him next episode
For me, this shot will be really hard to top. My favourite in the series.
I just realized, Jon wasn't really wearing any armor for this battle? And neither was Davos?
Not sure how useful benjen is anymore.

Maybe the night king takes control of him and get's the nights watch to let him in and then he kills them and let's the white walkers through the wall. idk
I think Benjen will turn into a white walker by season 8, but I think Jon will have to see him one last time this season before it happens. Bran was reunited with him and Jon has been wondering about him for longer.
Hey wait, it's just now dawning on me... was the gold in the loot train still by the time Dany attacked? Or had it made it through the city gates?

Before the battle started, Randyl rides up to Jaime and tells him all the gold made it back to the city.

The cave scene was so silly. There just happens to be a small cave right next to the dragonglass trove with drawings of the very thing that Jon has been trying to convince Dany is going to happen. I was watching that while high and thought that Jon had just quickly drawn them in a desperate attempt to get the help he needs lmao

KorrZ

The cave scene was so silly. There just happens to be a small cave right next to the dragonglass trove with drawings of the very thing that Jon has been trying to convince Dany is going to happen. I was watching that while high and thought that Jon had just quickly drawn them in a desperate attempt to get the help he needs lmao

I mean, it was somewhat convenient but not entirely unbelievable.

It's not exactly surprising that a cave full of the material needed to kill Whitewalkers would have been in use by the people fighting a war against them.

Its really surprising to hear the Lannister/Dany battle be described as one of the best battles. Outside of the amazing dragon scenes, it was mostly a teaser that focused on a comedy character like Bronn who survived for no real reason

The other battles always felt more high stakes and nerve wracking.

JDB

Banned
I mean, it was somewhat convenient but not entirely unbelievable.

It's not exactly surprising that a cave full of the material needed to kill Whitewalkers would have been in use by the people fighting a war against them.
Maybe it should've been uncovered while they were already mining or something. Him just casually walking in and finding it seemed a bit much.

Mithrarin

Neo Member
This question has been asked the other way in this thread but I saw someone mention a few pages back how Dragons will lay waste to WW's and their armies. While it may actually be true of wights, aren't the proper WW - the generals & the night king - impervious to fire?

They weren't affected when they passed that barrier in S6 & neither that WW general when he came into the burning hut at Hardhome. This hasn't been specifically mentioned by any character yet, I assume they would want to save it as a set piece maybe? Drogon unleashing all of his breath in one go & NK be like "That's adorable..."
This is what I'm really excited to see how the whole Night King vs Dragons thing will play out eventually.

I thought about it for quite some time and I think there are a few options: a) Night King is imune to the Dragons b) He will have a dragon himself c) There will be no dragons since they will get shot by the giants. d) Night King somehow avoids the dragon(s) but loses many of his soldiers

The children of the forest didn't even try to attack the Night King and his generals when they were surrounded by them in season 6. And they know better what is effective against their own creation and what not. Then again can't really compare firebombs to dragon's fire.
giphy.gif

HvySky

When you realize rickon dying recently was deemed not worth relaying to Arya by hotpie, Sansa, or Bran.

Rickon was such a non-factor for so long that I could see Sansa telling Arya and Bran off-screen. Silly as that is, I imagine when Jon reunites with them he could be the one to tell them he tried to save him in the Bastard Bowl.

If not, then fuck Rickon I guess. It's all about Dickon these days, anyway.

televator

When you realize rickon dying recently was deemed not worth relaying to Arya by hotpie, Sansa, or Bran.

OMFG, lol! This is so true.

Sansa reunion with Arya:
Sansa: Bran is also home.
Arya: *smiles*
Sansa: *thinking to herself* Am I forgetting something? Did someone die? Probably nothing important.

Are you upset at how little his role has been thus far compared to, say Tyrion?
Maybe. I do think Tyrion's story is a bit far gone now though so it may be an unfair comparison. I love Tyrion but his schtick hasn't really changed and he's basically fucking useless at the moment.

Davos though, I love him and his interaction with everyone and would love more of him but I'm not sure if I would end up getting too much of him and not exactly disliking him but being a little less 'fuck yeah, Davos' when he's on screen. He's clearly well liked by the Show Runners though because he's pretty much always had a role.

yeah i was thinking about this exact scene. thanks for posting it so i ddint have to ask! :)
That's alright, I was half expecting someone to tell me I was wrong.

jm89

Wasn't rickon buried next to ned? Arya didn't even acknowledge his grave when she was down in the crypt.

I can't remember the line, but the last episode implied Arya realized Rickon was dead from the lack of his mention. I can't remember the exact part, but Arya's reaction was a silent one as she put the pieces together. I'll have to find it tonight when home.

This is what I'm really excited to see how the whole Night King vs Dragons thing will play out eventually.

I thought about it for quite some time and I think there are a few options: a) Night King is imune to the Dragons b) He will have a dragon himself c) There will be no dragons since they will get shot by the giants. d) Night King somehow avoids the dragon(s) but loses many of his soldiers

The children of the forest didn't even try to attack the Night King and his generals when they were surrounded by them in season 6. And they know better what is effective against their own creation and what not. Then again can't really compare firebombs to dragon's fire.
giphy.gif

Or, Drogon dies, and becomes an undead ice-breathing dragon.

aBarreras

OMFG, lol! This is so true.

Sansa reunion with Arya:
Sansa: Bran is also home.
Arya: *smiles*
Sansa: *thinking to herself* Am I forgetting something? Did someone die? Probably nothing important.

come the fuck on, Arya knowing that ONLY Bran is there, signifies the dead of Rickon,

you can clearly see it on the crypt scene, arya didnt wanted to ask, but she knows Rickon is dead

I can't remember the line, but the last episode implied Arya realized Rickon was dead from the lack of his mention. I can't remember the exact part, but Arya's reaction was a silent one as she put the pieces together. I'll have to find it tonight when home.

u are correct but people here are lik "rickon lolololol who cares"

effzee

Unrealistic I know, but I wish he could have directed every episode in the entire show. Especially some of those S5 stinkers. The quality bump in each episode he directs is so stark.

My hope and dream scenario is that D and D announce he is going to direct all 6 of the remaining episodes next season.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Randall Tarly mentions to Jaime that the gold is safe. He also states that they need to move faster, and that if the ones at the front are ambushed, those in the rear can not reinforce them. To which Jaime says that they are a bit stretched.

So if the caravans that were carrying the gold and the troops transporting it are safe in KL, which part of the army did Dany attack? Considering that Bronn told Jaime to ride to KL, I want to say she ambushed the front portion. Meaning that there's still a portion of the Lannister army and their supply train on their way. Also, how could Dany have attacked the rear units and completely miss the front of the line on her way there?

aBarreras

Randall Tarly mentions to Jaime that the gold is safe. He also states that they need to move faster, and that if the ones at the front are ambushed, those in the rear can not reinforce them. To which Jaime says that they are a bit stretched.

So if the caravans that were carrying the gold and the troops transporting it are safe in KL, which part of the army did Dany attack? Considering that Bronn told Jaime to ride to KL, I want to say she ambushed the front portion. Meaning that there's still a portion of the Lannister army and their supply train on their way.

yeah, people seem to assume that dany destroyed ALL of the supplies wagons, but come on, do people really think that all supplies were stock in like 8 wagons?

redfox088

Banned
Do we really need to see a scene of them crying about a character the audience doesn't care about? Seems like a waste of time.
We gripe an moan about logistics and realism, but that fact that their youngest brother IMHO The only "innocent" stark child's death isn't even being lamented by his older siblings at all is a necessary omission. That's the internet for ya.

aBarreras

We gripe an moan about logistics and realism, but that fact that their youngest brother IMHO The only "innocent" stark child's death isn't even being lamented by his older siblings at all is a necessary omission. That's the internet for ya.

the fuck do you want?

jon watch him die, sansa watch him die, Bran knows everything, and Arya figured it out with her talk to sansa.

what else do you want? they are still at war, they will lament later if they survive the winter

redfox088

Banned
come the fuck on, Arya knowing that ONLY Bran is there, signifies the dead of Rickon,

you can clearly see it on the crypt scene, arya didnt wanted to ask, but she knows Rickon is dead

u are correct but people here are lik "rickon lolololol who cares"
That's not my point. She went to the crypt to visit Ned because he was their father, She brought up the red wedding for her mother and brother and her sister in law she never met, now "she didn't want to bring it up cuz bad vibes " is unrealistic and a dumb reason as an audience to justify if the siblings don't say Rickons name or acknowledge his existence since his death/for the rest of the show.

Megatron

Before the battle started, Randyl rides up to Jaime and tells him all the gold made it back to the city.

Which feels a little too forced. How did the gold make it back so much faster than the army? What the hell were they waiting for? Shouldn't the army have gone with the gold to protect it?

redfox088

Banned
the fuck do you want?

jon watch him die, sansa watch him die, Bran knows everything, and Arya figured it out with her talk to sansa.

what else do you want? they are still at war, they will lament later if they survive the winter
An onscreen acknowledgment of their brother. They ate not responsible to rectify my issues with how unrealistic and irrelevant they made his character , but I am allowed to voice them. Just like jet pack criticisms and such.

the fuck do you want?

How did arya figures it out? There was literally nothing in the scene alluding to this. We know Bran was hurried in the crypts, if the show wanted to acknowledge him they could have shown his grave. He was not acknowledged.

Which feels a little too forced. How did the gold make it back so much faster than the army? What the hell were they waiting for? Shouldn't the army have gone with he told to protect it?

Most of the wagons still to enter KL would be carrying grain and other crops (possibly armour, weapons, spices in others?). The gold would have been sent straight away, but it would have been seperate convoys taking the grain once it had been harvested/stolen from barns in the Reach.

The army Jaime commanded would have been split accordingly, and possibly other detachments sent elsewhere.

hoos30

whats the chances of them filming the final 6 episodes and getting it all done by August 2018
I just hope we get the last season next year and not 2019

The Behind the Scenes said they took 18 days just to film the "Loot Train" battle.

6 episodes for 2018 is looking dicey.

FStubbs

Their lines of succession are a bit weird. In the real medieval world they would have gone to the ends of the earth to find the closest relative to Tommen rather than crown Cersei.

Even when Henry VII won the crown fair and square after defeating Richard III in the Wars of the Roses, he went out of his way to prove he was a legitimate heir.

With the legal assumption that Tommen is a Baratheon, the next closest relative is Danaerys Targaryen.

Well, we know about Gendry and Jon Snow but they don't.

Addi

Oh, that's what that was. Sansa says Bran is home, then Arya smiles before realising what that meant. I thought Sansa's serious expression only meant "but Bran is weird now", but implying Rickon is gone makes more sense.

It really is one of the best shots I've ever seen. I don't think it'll be topped in this series, though some have come real close since.

Yeah, especially when you can see that it's obviously shot for real, the telephoto lens making the horses seem closer than they really are.

Do we have any idea what happened to Dany's ancestor who had three dragons - I forget who it was? Anyway, he had three dragons just like she did, but what is the betting that the Night King is going to find one of the dragon corpses and revive it as an undead dragon?

This question has been asked the other way in this thread but I saw someone mention a few pages back how Dragons will lay waste to WW's and their armies. While it may actually be true of wights, aren't the proper WW - the generals & the night king - impervious to fire?

They weren't affected when they passed that barrier in S6 & neither that WW general when he came into the burning hut at Hardhome. This hasn't been specifically mentioned by any character yet, I assume they would want to save it as a set piece maybe? Drogon unleashing all of his breath in one go & NK be like "That's adorable..."

You may be right, but on the other hand I don't think dragon fire and ordinary man-made fire are comparable. Unless I'm mistaken it also showed a lot of people turning to ash when Dany was burning them, which does not happen with typical fire.

Its really surprising to hear the Lannister/Dany battle be described as one of the best battles. Outside of the amazing dragon scenes, it was mostly a teaser that focused on a comedy character like Bronn who survived for no real reason

The other battles always felt more high stakes and nerve wracking.

I agree that it wasn't the best battle, but the dragon stuff was utterly fantastic though.

So if the caravans that were carrying the gold and the troops transporting it are safe in KL, which part of the army did Dany attack? Considering that Bronn told Jaime to ride to KL, I want to say she ambushed the front portion. Meaning that there's still a portion of the Lannister army and their supply train on their way. Also, how could Dany have attacked the rear units and completely miss the front of the line on her way there?

As they were close to King's Landing it could be that the majority of the army was towards the rear of the caravan to provide protection from any potential attacks while the supplies were carted into the city. I'd say Dany probably destroyed a few dozen supply carts, but her main intent was probably to get a quick victory after several losses and terrify the Lannister army by showing them what they're up against.

m23

Can anyone help me find that artwork from the most recent episode, it was a side shot of Jaimie charging at Dany and Drogon. I don't think the dragon was in view. It was posted a few days ago but I can't find it now.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Remember last week when that youtuber who's never watched GoT reviewed episode 3? Well he's done one for episode 4 now too.

https://youtu.be/03xHNhLgd1Y

The Cast:

Lagolas Queen
Bastard King
Handsome Guy in Armour
Greasy Mullet Guy
Short Hair Queen
Weird Raven Kid (AKA Harry Potter)
Rat Assistant
Red Hair Queen
Pelt Girl
Young Sad Girl