• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Sansa is acting for LF's benefit there. She loves that Arya is basically a nuke. She is not jealous. She knows Arya and sees a way to play LF like a fiddle. Mark my words: the degree to which Sansa uses/works with Arya will be both an example of her newfound cunning and the strength of the Stark family line.

Probably not a popular hot take, but Sansa's "power" now is politics and manipulation. Though in the Brienne sparring scene, Sansa looks concerned, during the Stark reunion with Bran, Sansa looked a bit like LF in how she was parsing the surprising info she was being presented. She wants to use Arya.

I kinda think the wolves will circle LF and once he is gone that Sansa will try to use Arya as a secret weapon. I 100% don't think she is "above" that.

Sansa has been turned into Diet Cersei.

I don't think she was thinking at that very point how to use Arya, more like wtf has my sister become.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I see. Guess I just haven't particularly noted when other character call her by her full name. With all her titles, my ears kinda shut off after a bit. heh
Hell they only started referring to her by something other than "khaleesi" a couple seasons ago to the point I knew people who had forgotten her actual name.

...anyone else notice how Drogon's wing completely clips through the tree when he flew over the water? I wonder if anyone noticed it in post.

It's something that you can't unsee once you notice it.

Not being mentioned dead kinda is implying 'still alive'.

Punctuation makes a world of diffrence

I don't think it's been mentioned, he's dead and Meera said she's going back to her family.
vs
I don't think it's been mentioned he's dead, and Meera said she's going back to her family.

Vashetti

Banned
...anyone else notice how Drogon's wing completely clips through the tree when he flew over the water? I wonder if anyone noticed it in post.

It's something that you can't unsee once you notice it.

It doesn't.

It's two trees, a tall one and a shorter one. His wing glides under the bottom of the taller one's branches and over the top of the shorter one.

There's even appropriate sound effects.

Zolo

Not being mentioned dead kinda is implying 'still alive'.

Yeah. He hasn't really been mentioned much at all, so he could have died in the war and nobody's simply brought it up yet.

Nah. I think little finger doesn't buy the official story, but the only one alive who really knows is Reed.
There was also the woman carrying Jon in the tower I guess?

Chuckie

Punctuation makes a world of diffrence

I don't think it's been mentioned, he's dead and Meera said she's going back to her family.
vs
I don't think it's been mentioned he's dead, and Meera said she's going back to her family.

Yeah punctuation would have been nice, I just read it automatically as your second example.

Yeah. He hasn't really been mentioned much at all, so he could have died in the war and nobody's simply brought it up yet.

There was also the woman carrying Jon in the tower I guess?

How could he have died in the war if he had kids after the war? Also, Jojen talked about talking to his dad as if he were still alive when they left home.

It doesn't.

It's two trees, a tall one and a shorter one. His wing glides under the bottom of the taller one's branches and over the top of the shorter one.

There's even appropriate sound effects.

my bad, I see it now. I feel like it was too subtle tho. shouldn't the branch be completely destroyed by the speed alone?

When's the last time a dramatic show was at this level of cultural relevance? The Sopranos? The last season of that show was big but GOT right now seems like it's on an even higher tier. It's everywhere right now and has seeped in to places and people I wouldn't have expected in my day to day.
My co-workers that's around 50 (though he looks 40 smh, dude has vampiric powers :S) told me yesterday that he only watches a single show right now. This. He doesn't bother with TV otherwise. BB in the last season was everywhere, but I think this is even higher. Sopranos and Lost/Friends before I believe.

Season 5 is much better when watching it again. There are some weak points and silly and stupid stuff but it's still great. Season 6 on the other hand fell completely flat for me the second time around. Aside from the last two episodes it was a real drag to sit though (and I loved watching it last year when it aired).
A big issue is watching things on gaf who run with the power of hyperboles and attention whore seeking with an iron fist. Any season that wouldn't stand would get butchered like it was the worst show on Earth, and you get sidetracked when you're here. It becomes pretty insufferable and cringe when it happens during a tv show here (not for got, but overall). It was the weaker season but still pretty good season other than a few bad missteps.

He stopped being that several seasons ago. That character is now Vary.
Varys is bound to die for certain according to the Red Witch though, curious how far he makes it.

He's totally making it to the end.

He's the character at the end of an epic RPG (or ME3) who provides exposition for everything that happens and offers suggestions/choices all while holding the cards.

Tell me you don't see that?
He's one of my two choices I'd love to sit on the throne. Like Mass Effect, he's who I choose as the evil side :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How/why would Littlefinger know?
Given that it's obvious to viewers I don't know why it wouldn't have been obvious when it was known Rhaegar absconded with Lyanna, and Ned Stark randomly had a bastard.

Angry Grimace

Yeah. Even Stannis was going "That's not Ned Stark's way."
I mean from someone like LF's perspective it would have to be something like that for Ned to pretend he got some random woman pregnant and R+L=J is one of the only ones that would make sense to someone like Jon.

The thing is, even assuming everyone knew he whole time Jon is a secret Targ, all of them have a vested interest in not saying anything. Robert would have wanted Jon killed since he hated Rhaegar so much, LF's power is based on Robert having a "legitimate" claim and even if Varys knew about it there's no reason for him to support Jon over the known trueborn Targaryens anyways.

nubbe

I'm sure Little Finger is suspicious about Jon's heritage and has calculated his possible origin.
He insinuated earlier in the crypt to Sansa that Lyanna might not really have been kidnapped by Rhaegar in the true sense.

Angry Grimace

I mean I don't get the impression Rhaegar's thing for Lyanna was some kind of state level secret. He was the crown prince and it probably wouldn't have caused a scandal anyways. I think the only way him running off to get with Lyanna would be actually problematic is if he tried to legitimize it by marrying Lyanna and divorcing Elia. I kind of assume that's where they're going because a Targaryen prince just hooking up with Lyanna Stark probably wouldn't likely even be considered unusual.

Rixxan

For all the talk of "cultural relevance" and hype - keep in mind this isn't even the final season

If the show can keep this going the last couple episodes of season 8 are going to be madness

If Vary's is playing both sides, then Dany being unpredictable is a win for her. Jorah may be the one to provide her with direction and keep her from going full on mad king.

LF may realize he's in a house of enemies and disappear to play both sides, maybe offering up, Knights of the Vale.

I mean I don't get the impression Rhaegar's thing for Lyanna was some kind of state level secret. He was the crown prince and it probably wouldn't have caused a scandal anyways. I think the only way him running off to get with Lyanna would be actually problematic is if he tried to legitimize it by marrying Lyanna and divorcing Elia. I kind of assume that's where they're going because a Targaryen prince just hooking up with Lyanna Stark probably wouldn't likely even be considered unusual.

It was a problem because she was betrothed to Robert. Even then he was the only one who wanted to go to war over it. The only reason the North and the Vale joined in the rebellion was due to the Mad King killing Neds father and brother when they went to KL to ask for her return.

Deku Tree

giphy.gif

What is this?

I think Littlefinger knows. Varys knows.

I actually, honestly, wouldn't be surprised if Aemon Targaryen knew - not at first, but by putting two and two together.

Vary doesn't know.

If we know anything about the Spider, it's that he always hedges his bets. He kept a close watch on the Targaryen siblings after their self-exile from Westeros. Yet he had never weighed in on Jon Snow outside of the common knowledge that he was the Lord of Winterfell's bastard son. He never sought to protect Jon Snow or keep tabs on him the way he did Dany, which he most certainly would have had he known of Jon's true parentage.

To be honest, I don't think any of the nefarious spies know. Jon's existence was a threat not only to the Stark/Baratheon alliance (King Robert would have interpreted it as a betrayal) but to Robert's claim of the throne, as well. Littlefinger or Varys would have played that card long ago had they known.

I think Danny's next logical step is to get her army of unsullied back. I don't think she would want outright naval warfare though. The unsullied are in the castle and the dothraki fear the sea. Maybe she could do hit and run tactics with her dragons until Euron gives up the siege.

This youtube vid of Seth Meyers watching the show with Leslie Jones..
dead.png

"Bronn is like the dude in the hood that knows where all the $1 cigarettes at."

Lol his comment on Bran.. Bran pretty much "new phone who's this?" Meera.

Holy crap! You gotta watch this. This is amazing.

This season hasn't managed to grip me so far.. Maybe I've changed, but something just doesn't feel right anymore, even though it's not bad or anything.

I just.. oh God here I go. I remember GoT as a foundry of awesomeness. As a source of entertainment and excitement that I would find constantly relevant, entertainmentimg and refreshing. And *something* HAS changed. I've met George RR Martin a number of times and he's consistently grateful and gracious. And handsome and typically surrounded by really, really attractive girls. That's probably a product of the environments I meet him in but whatever. This is HIS joint. We're all just pulling up bar stools. But something is rotten in Denmark. Maybe the negativity is a reflection of the times. But I don't like it. And I'm going to say so.

Nah. I think little finger doesn't buy the official story, but the only one alive who really knows is Reed.

Littlefinger figured Ned out long time ago. He knows that Ned would never betray his new wife for a fling on the road.

And Varys would have known that Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower died at the Tower of Joy. What an odd place to keep a "Prisoner". He would have known that Rhaegar, even if he was infatuated with Lyanna would not allow Lord Commander of the Kingsguard and possibly the greatest swordsman not being by his side in battle is highly irregular.

Lyanna dies and Ned comes out of Dorne with a baby. Hmm...

-griffy-

Banned
This season hasn't managed to grip me so far.. Maybe I've changed, but something just doesn't feel right anymore, even though it's not bad or anything.

I just.. oh God here I go. I remember GkT as a foundry of awesomeness. As a source of entertainment and excitement that I would find constantly relevant, entertainmentimg and refreshing. And *something* HAS changed. I've met George RR Martin a number of times and he's consistently grateful and gracious. And handsome and typically surrounded by really, really attractive girls. That's probably a product of the environments I meet him in but whatever. This is HIS joint. We're all just pulling up bar stools. But something is rotten in Denmark. Maybe the negativity is a reflection of the times. But I don't like it. And I'm going to say so.

What

Sephzilla

I just.. oh God here I go. I remember GoT as a foundry of awesomeness. As a source of entertainment and excitement that I would find constantly relevant, entertainmentimg and refreshing. And *something* HAS changed. I've met George RR Martin a number of times and he's consistently grateful and gracious. And handsome and typically surrounded by really, really attractive girls. That's probably a product of the environments I meet him in but whatever. This is HIS joint. We're all just pulling up bar stools. But something is rotten in Denmark. Maybe the negativity is a reflection of the times. But I don't like it. And I'm going to say so.

....... is this a copy pasta from a different GAF thread?

Maybe I really changed as a person, but a few seasons ago, I couldn't wait for the next episode. It'd be something I'd watch as soon as possible.
Now, I can wait days. It's become something to kill time, somewhere.

The plot twists just don't surprise me anymore. It's sad. I'm sad.

....... is this a copy pasta from a different GAF thread?
Look man, I just wanted to try some fresh pasta for once.
I'm serious about the non-spoiler tagged part, obviously.

aBarreras

Maybe I really changed as a person, but a few seasons ago, I couldn't wait for the next episode. It'd be something I'd watch as soon as possible.
Now, I can wait days. It's become something to kill time, somewhere.

The plot twists just don't surprise me anymore. It's sad. I'm sad.

there hasnt been any plot twists this season

pestul

GRRM is responsible for 'this joint'. He could have said 'No' at the start. He let D&D guess the ending and he was happy with their answer. He has outlined the events to the conclusion for them, and with guidance accepts the changes and liberties D&D have taken. It's certainly not HBO's fault that they've vaulted ahead of the original author and GRRM has to accept that. It has expanded his book audience by a huge margin.

EDIT: Oh shit, I fell for that one hard.

there hasnt been any plot twists this season

I known I know, but every single thing used to cause this rush of "Woaaah, what now?"
It's gotten a bit stale.

I'm still watching of course, hoping for that feeling to return.
I may be a bit depressed as well, that doesn't help I'm sure.

...gotta admit I assumed the last episode would end in a death.

Don't think I'd ever read someone say GRRM is handsome.
That silver white fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom