• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

So, I've always thought that season 5 got a bad rap 'cus the early episodes weren't GoT at it's best, the final ones definitely were but I've been re-watching it and it's honestly a lot better than I remember it. I just finished episode 4 and it's been great so far and even the first Dorne scene was awesome, it's just that it ends in a pretty shitty way, but the setup is good.

I think I might have had a different outlook on the early episodes because they weren't all these epic episodes with tons of twists and eventful moments, it was mostly quiet episodes that were very dialogue heavy and were set up for the rest of the season, which don't usually play as well when you're waiting a week between them.

I need to watch S5 again, but I still think it's by far the worst season. It didn't just begin slowly, it ended poorly for most of the storylines, too. Ramsay was at his dumbest this season with his 20 good men. Dorne sucked all the way through. Dany was spinning her tires and had a pretty blah season, too. Selmy's death was fucking dumb and the sons of the harpy just wasn't that well done at all. Arya's story fell a bit flat that season, too. Sansa completely backpedaled on her character, too, and just got more silly punishment. The storyline in the north wasn't too bad... until the end. The conspiracy against Jon Snow didn't feel that deserved or well written either.

Hardhome was a decent episode, though.

I think the issue is that with a show like Game of Thrones you need an ebb and flow of storylines at different points to keep things interesting. In Season 5 almost all the storylines are at sort of lower points, either receding after action or building up to some that would be later.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I need to watch S5 again, but I still think it's by far the worst season. It didn't just begin slowly, it ended poorly for most of the storylines, too. Ramsay was at his dumbest this season with his 20 good men. Dorne sucked all the way through. Dany was spinning her tires and had a pretty blah season, too. Selmy's death was fucking dumb and the sons of the harpy just wasn't that well done at all. Arya's story fell a bit flat that season, too. Sansa completely backpedaled on her character, too, and just got more silly punishment. The storyline in the north wasn't too bad... until the end. The conspiracy against Jon Snow didn't feel that deserved or well written either.

Hardhome was a decent episode, though.

I think the issue is that with a show like Game of Thrones you need an ebb and flow of storylines at different points to keep things interesting. In Season 5 almost all the storylines are at sort of lower points, either receding after action or building up to some that would be later.

Part of the problem is that the show was about to enter the final stretch, where the remaining storylines would converge and hit climax almost simultaneously (that sounds dirtier than I meant it to). As such they all needed to start syncing up.

One of the issues may have been they advanced Dany's plotline too fast through the previous seasons. So when it came time to sync everything up for the final stretch they had to put her into neutral for an entire season.

That and Arya's probably didn't move fast enough, but I can hardly blame them considering how much fun her and the Hound were.

televator

Dany really needs armor if she's going to do that. Also a saddle would probably be a good idea. How she wasn't flung off during that freefall....

I say Dany definitely needs personal armor and a saddle, yeah. Drogon's scales already seem impervious to conventional weapons. So the weakest point is the rider herseself

If the sex happens, then I want Jon to do something drastic when he finds out. Like, incest isn't tolerated because we see Cersei and Jaime doing/raping each other for 7 seasons.

JimiNutz

Banned
Dany really needs armor if she's going to do that. Also a saddle would probably be a good idea. How she wasn't flung off during that freefall....

The Dragon is covered in spikes along its neck isn't it? That can't be comfortable in-between your legs? I guess once you've taken that Dothraki dick a few spikes ain't no thing...

televator

If the sex happens, then I want Jon to do something drastic when he finds out. Like, incest isn't tolerated because we see Cersei and Jaime doing/raping each other for 7 seasons.

Jon: I find myself guilty of incest which is banned in the North. The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. BRB, gonna go decapitate myself. Because that's joostice

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Yet the Targs were held to a different standard. Plus, with the Night King and his armies marching to destroy everything, who has time to even care?

Every time someone says Targ I just picture this.

latest

televator

Dany's official name is Stormborn though, right? She's not formally named Targeryen? She just uses the sigil of the Targs. Technically they're all Valyrians, I guess?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Dany's official name is Stormborn though, right? She's not formally named Targeryen? She just uses the sigil of the Targs. Technically they're all Valyrians, I guess?

I think Stormborn is a form of title but she's definitely Daenerys Targaryen.

Heshinsi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1S7IPj1qCE&feature=player_embedded

God damn, 3000 unsullied held against 20,000 Dothraki horsemen, and withstood 18 straight charges. They were down to 600 men, but had killed 12,000 Dothraki including the Khal leading that Khalasar. Dany has 8,000 Unsullied, and I pray we get to see them used in a proper battle. They way Jorah talks about them in the vid, there isn't a single army in Westeros that can better them. Being out numbered doesn't even matter, they're like Spartans.

_Rob_

God damn, 3000 unsullied held against 20,000 Dothraki horsemen, and withstood 18 straight charges. They were down to 600 men, but had killed 12,000 Dothraki including the Khal leading that Khalasar. Dany has 8,000 Unsullied, and I pray we get to see them used in a proper battle. They way Jorah talks about them, there isn't a single army in Westeros that can better them. Being out numbered doesn't even matter, they're like Spartans.

Kind reflected in Tyrion's speech about the Unsullied rolling through Casterly Rock, no? Obviously that didn't work out so well, but that's a strategic fault as opposed to one with the Unsullied themselves.

Zolo

God damn, 3000 unsullied held against 20,000 Dothraki horsemen, and withstood 18 straight charges. They were down to 600 men, but had killed 12,000 Dothraki including the Khal leading that Khalasar. Dany has 8,000 Unsullied, and I pray we get to see them used in a proper battle. They way Jorah talks about them in the vid, there isn't a single army in Westeros that can better them. Being out numbered doesn't even matter, they're like Spartans.

I feel they could do well against wights, but not as well against white walkers since they could break right through their shields with their weapons.

Timbuktu

Jaime is actually brave as fuck for riding towards drogon like that.

I do agree to an extent with those who says he's got a death wish. I don't think he is just looking to get himself killed without reason, but from what he said to Olenna and Bronn, he find little purpose or agency aside from love for Cersei. At the same time, he acknowledges that Cersei is terrible, so if there is a chance for him to achieve something or make a difference, he definitely doesn't mind giving his life for it. If only he packed a loaded crossbow...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Let's be honest Genghis would've wiped the floor with Leonidas.

DoomGyver

Jaime is a fool, he's been used his whole life by his cunt sister. She doesn't love him, all she wants is power. Hopefully that book of Jaime's accomplishments is left blank.

When's the last time a dramatic show was at this level of cultural relevance? The Sopranos? The last season of that show was big but GOT right now seems like it's on an even higher tier. It's everywhere right now and has seeped in to places and people I wouldn't have expected in my day to day.

Heshinsi

Bronn telling Jaime "go get it then," is such a Bronn thing to do, and I snorted the first time I saw him say that. And the look he gives after Jaime tells him, "bro WTF do you not see that I'm missing a hand" is priceless. "The shit I do for this family!"

tomtom94

When's the last time a dramatic show was at this level of cultural relevance? The Sopranos? The last season of that show was big but GOT right now seems like it's on an even higher tier. It's everywhere right now and has seeped in to places and people I wouldn't have expected in my day to day.
Breaking Bad? That was fucking EVERYWHERE for the last few episodes.

Breaking Bad? That was fucking EVERYWHERE for the last few episodes.
It was big and it was really cool to see that show organically grow its audience but this feels much, much bigger. I have a few friends that have admitted they feel very out of it for not having watched the show. These are people who normally would never comment on such a thing or possibly know about it.

It's completely subjective and basically unquantifiable but this show feels like it has consumed social media and entertainment sites like few things in dramatic television I can ever remember.

I feel like Stranger Things 2 will be massive but since you can watch it all at once, the amount of time it will stick around in public discussion becomes much shorter.

Wights can be killed by conventional weapons can't they? No need for Valyrian/Dragonglass.

I think smashing their heads would work, kind of like zombies.

So much of the Lannister army does everyone say got ded? About 1/4?

I don't think it was that many. A few thousand at most, perhaps. I'd guess the Lannister army is in the tens of thousands. They now have the full might of the crown as well as whatever resources the Lannister estate had.

gun_haver

I feel like we haven't really seen them do much, although I'm sure I am forgetting a battle or two in 4-5, and also, Grey Worm is the least intimidating looking soldier on the show pretty much. Since he is the only representation of the Unsullied on the show, I tend to think of them as disciplined but otherwise unremarkable fighters. Their armour and weapons are pretty bland, too.

Yet the Targs were held to a different standard. Plus, with the Night King and his armies marching to destroy everything, who has time to even care?

You can't hold Jon to the same standards as the average Targaryen, come on now.

Being raised in the North he can't just go ''Well, I'm a Targ bastard so might as well.'' I'd honestly lose respect for Jon and the writers if that's the case.

That's bloody nonsense. If he found out, of course he'd care. He'd have to question everything.

It was big and it was really cool to see that show organically grow its audience but this feels much, much bigger. I have a few friends that have admitted they feel very out of it for not having watched the show. These are people who normally would never comment on such a thing or possibly know about it.

It's completely subjective and basically unquantifiable but this show feels like it has consumed social media and entertainment sites like few things in dramatic television I can ever remember.

I feel like Stranger Things 2 will be massive but since you can watch it all at once, the amount of time it will stick around in public discussion becomes much shorter.

This is all very true. I guess maybe the last time a show was this big would have been Lost? I'm not really sure though as I didn't watch it. The next one my mind goes back to is The X-Files, but as that was pre-internet it's harder to quantify.

So, I've always thought that season 5 got a bad rap 'cus the early episodes weren't GoT at it's best, the final ones definitely were but I've been re-watching it and it's honestly a lot better than I remember it. I just finished episode 4 and it's been great so far and even the first Dorne scene was awesome, it's just that it ends in a pretty shitty way, but the setup is good.

I think I might have had a different outlook on the early episodes because they weren't all these epic episodes with tons of twists and eventful moments, it was mostly quiet episodes that were very dialogue heavy and were set up for the rest of the season, which don't usually play as well when you're waiting a week between them.

Season 5 is much better when watching it again. There are some weak points and silly and stupid stuff but it's still great. Season 6 on the other hand fell completely flat for me the second time around. Aside from the last two episodes it was a real drag to sit though (and I loved watching it last year when it aired).

Volimar

When people say stuff like this, it really makes me wonder if we're watching the same show.

Did you watch the early seasons when she fucked Lancel Lannister while Jaime was captured? I think she thinks she loves him, but I don't think she's truly capable of loving anyone who wasn't her children.

This is all very true. I guess maybe the last time a show was this big would have been Lost? I'm not really sure though as I didn't watch it. The next one my mind goes back to is The X-Files, but as that was pre-internet it's harder to quantify.
I was (am) a huge Lost fan and the phenomenon/speculation/fandom around it was pretty unique since that was what the show was about but it peaked around S3 and still wasn't as close to as all-consuming as this feels.

I also think the reaction to the show is so universally positive that adds a lot to why I feel this way.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Did you watch the early seasons when she fucked Lancel Lannister while Jaime was captured? I think she thinks she loves him, but I don't think she's truly capable of loving anyone who wasn't her children.

They have a really messed up relationship, and their love isn't like a normal love, but it's odd to me that someone can watch the show and not even think s he cares about Jaime and that she's just using him.

[edit]

Especially when we consider that they were together for, how old was Joffrey, 17? So they were together for years, how was she using him or how was their relationship just for power?

I don't want LF to die this season, it will be so lame if he gets got without doing some crazy shit. :'(
He's totally making it to the end.

He's the character at the end of an epic RPG (or ME3) who provides exposition for everything that happens and offers suggestions/choices all while holding the cards.

Tell me you don't see that?

duckroll

He's totally making it to the end.

He's the character at the end of an epic RPG (or ME3) who provides exposition for everything that happens and offers suggestions/choices all while holding the cards.

Tell me you don't see that?

He stopped being that several seasons ago. That character is now Vary.

zoukka

I feel like we haven't really seen them do much, although I'm sure I am forgetting a battle or two in 4-5, and also, Grey Worm is the least intimidating looking soldier on the show pretty much. Since he is the only representation of the Unsullied on the show, I tend to think of them as disciplined but otherwise unremarkable fighters. Their armour and weapons are pretty bland, too.

They really dropped the balls on the unsullied.

anyone? got lost in the sea of dany and jon sex stories.

Past Bran, Eddard, Howland Reed, and possible a wet nurse or two at the Tower of Joy, I'm not sure anyone else really knows. If Varys or anyone of note really knew who Jon was, he likely wouldn't have ended up at the wall in the first place, he'd be too valuable of a pawn leave there.

I think Littlefinger knows. Varys knows.

I actually, honestly, wouldn't be surprised if Aemon Targaryen knew - not at first, but by putting two and two together.

Nah. I think little finger doesn't buy the official story, but the only one alive who really knows is Reed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom