• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pestul

I known I know, but every single thing used to cause this rush of "Woaaah, what now?"
It's gotten a bit stale.

I'm still watching of course, hoping for that feeling to return.
I may be a bit depressed as well, that doesn't help I'm sure.

...gotta admit I assumed the last episode would end in a death.
Dude, episodes 5 or 6 might almost be another red wedding for a few characters. I mean the Tarlys are royally f'ed, not that we really care that much about any of them but Sam. Maybe Bronn was half-cooked by Drogon.

This youtube vid of Seth Meyers watching the show with Leslie Jones..
dead.png

"Bronn is like the dude in the hood that knows where all the $1 cigarettes at."

Lol his comment on Bran.. Bran pretty much "new phone who's this?" Meera.

Holy crap! You gotta watch this. This is amazing.

Watching it now. Thanks for the heads up. Love Leslie Jones!

effzee

LF and Varys dont know.

Not being mentioned dead kinda is implying 'still alive'.

Others already replied but LF definitely knows.

He was in love with Catelyn and made it his business to know everything about her and her family. He basically told Sansa in the crypt that the official story as told by Robert and the victors of the war might not be true, hinting that she wasn't kidnaped but rather ran away to be with the Prince.

My guess is he was behind the assassin to kill Bran in season 1 (after his fall) because he wanted the Stars and Lannisters at war (to get rid of Ned also). He was already behind killing John Arryn and knew blame would fall on Jamie and Cersei once their incest was discovered.

It figures he knows this vital piece of information and will possibly use it against Jon and top possibly elevate Sansa as the true Stark who should be leading Winterfell.

Varys had birdies everywhere and like LF, makes it his business to be knowledgeable about all things happening in the realm. It's how both of these characters who are nobodies by name have managed to survive and thrive.

On another topic, any theories or ideas on what the Red Witch meant in her last convo with Varys about both of them having to return to die on this strange land? I'll miss her and her exuberance to get nekkid at a drop of the hat :(

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
This season hasn't managed to grip me so far.. Maybe I've changed, but something just doesn't feel right anymore, even though it's not bad or anything.

I just.. oh God here I go. I remember GoT as a foundry of awesomeness. As a source of entertainment and excitement that I would find constantly relevant, entertainmentimg and refreshing. And *something* HAS changed. I've met George RR Martin a number of times and he's consistently grateful and gracious. And handsome and typically surrounded by really, really attractive girls. That's probably a product of the environments I meet him in but whatever. This is HIS joint. We're all just pulling up bar stools. But something is rotten in Denmark. Maybe the negativity is a reflection of the times. But I don't like it. And I'm going to say so.

Great. Let it all get to you for 5 minutes and you become a meme.

aBarreras

Others already replied but LF definitely knows.

He was in love with Catelyn and made it his business to know everything about her and her family. He basically told Sansa in the crypt that the official story as told by Robert and the victors of the war might not be true, hinting that she wasn't kidnaped but rather ran away to be with the Prince.

My guess is he was behind the assassin to kill Bran in season 1 (after his fall) because he wanted the Stars and Lannisters at war (to get rid of Ned also). He was already behind killing John Arryn and knew blame would fall on Jamie and Cersei once their incest was discovered.

It figures he knows this vital piece of information and will possibly use it against Jon and top possibly elevate Sansa as the true Stark who should be leading Winterfell.

Varys had birdies everywhere and like LF, makes it his business to be knowledgeable about all things happening in the realm. It's how both of these characters who are nobodies by name have managed to survive and thrive.

On another topic, any theories or ideas on what the Red Witch meant in her last convo with Varys about both of them having to return to die on this strange land? I'll miss her and her exuberance to get nekkid at a drop of the hat :(

at least she will eventually return

aBarreras

Just because other people want it to be true doesn't make it so. There is no way you can say he definitely knows. Its one thing tl say he has suspicions, but there is no support to say he 100% knows.

i mean even if this is true, no one will be surprised when it turns out that LF knew all along lol

If Littlefinger had the power to have Bran assassinated, you don't think it would be easier for him to try and have Jon killed as well, instead of exposing his lineage that no one would believe?

He might have heard, he might even know, but he has no way of proving so that pretty much cancels out that idea.

If Littlefinger had the power to have Bran assassinated, you don't think it would be easier for him to try and have Jon killed as well, instead of exposing his lineage that no one would believe?

He might have heard, he might even know, but he has no way of proving so that pretty much cancels out that idea.
was It LF that tried to have Bran killed? I cant remember at all.

Dude, episodes 5 or 6 might almost be another red wedding for a few characters. I mean the Tarlys are royally f'ed, not that we really care that much about any of them but Sam. Maybe Bronn was half-cooked by Drogon.

Bronn and Jaime are fine. One of the shots showed them in the water and then the flames pass overhead. There's no way given how that was filmed that either of them got hit by dragonfire.

EDIT - of course, that doesn't count drowning, but I really don't think the writers will kill characters like this.

Hydrus

This season hasn't managed to grip me so far.. Maybe I've changed, but something just doesn't feel right anymore, even though it's not bad or anything.

I just.. oh God here I go. I remember GoT as a foundry of awesomeness. As a source of entertainment and excitement that I would find constantly relevant, entertainmentimg and refreshing. And *something* HAS changed. I've met George RR Martin a number of times and he's consistently grateful and gracious. And handsome and typically surrounded by really, really attractive girls. That's probably a product of the environments I meet him in but whatever. This is HIS joint. We're all just pulling up bar stools. But something is rotten in Denmark. Maybe the negativity is a reflection of the times. But I don't like it. And I'm going to say so.

Lmao

Loxley

And goddammit how does the CGI in The Hobbit look like such garbage already.

Weta Digital never had enough time to really polish it, which isn't all that surprising given what we know about the problems those films had behind the scenes.

was It LF that tried to have Bran killed? I cant remember at all.

Not sure, but the person I replied to is using that as a basis for their theory. So if he can have Bran killed, why not have Jon killed as well?

And if it wasn't him who wanted Bran dead, then he probably doesn't want Jon out of the picture either.

Nameless

giphy.gif

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Not sure, but the person I replied to is using that as a basis for their theory. So if he can have Bran killed, why not have Jon killed as well?

And if it wasn't him who wanted Bran dead, then he probably doesn't want Jon out of the picture either.

Little Finger ain't done OR out of the game. They just want you think that.

jett

D-Member
Weta Digital never had enough time to really polish it, which isn't all that surprising given what we know about the problems those films had behind the scenes.

It's still shocking to me how much worse it looks than a TV show from 2017. It's cartoonlike.

Addi

I love it

Great. Let it all get to you for 5 minutes and you become a meme.

You should be proud. Out of context it really looks like a copy pasta. There's really good imagery, then the Hamlet reference elevates it to a work of art.

Who saying he is?

I am. He has no place anymore. He is in the one place where his slick moves wont play, the North. If he was still in kings landing I would give him a chance to surrvive, but he is surrounded by people who aren't buying what he is selling. With 9 episodes left and the bigger threat about to come into play his storyline is about to come to an end. No way he makes it out of this season.

I was expecting some JonxDany bullshit but that was a fantastic video.

I really hate the way she says Dracarys now though. She used to roll the R and it sounded Valyrian, now it sounds like an American trying to pronounce it.

I am. He has no place anymore. He is in the one place where his slick moves wont play, the North. If he was still in kings landing I would give him a chance to surrvive, but he is surrounded by people who aren't buying what he is selling. With 9 episodes left and the bigger threat about to come into play his storyline is about to come to an end. No way he makes it out of this season.

There are plenty of characters to fit that bill, the majority even, not all of them will go.

MikeyB

I don't know. As much as Sansa despises him, she still gives him an audience. Here is a possible chain of events:

- the defeat of Dorne and Highgarden becomes known in the North (also, have maesters stopped sending ravens in the last 2 episodes?)

- the attack on the Lannisters is made known

- Jon has not returned and is seen as a prisoner

- Littlefinger convinces Sansa that the time to strike is now - before they are trapped by winter - after all, it is clear that they are very short on food and they will need to eat during the winter

- maybe they go after Casterly Rock or maybe King's Landing

- that decision drives Arya out on her own again

- the Wall is finally breached as King's Landing is under seige (end of season)

I don't know. As much as Sansa despises him, she still gives him an audience. Here is a possible chain of events:

- the defeat of Dorne and Highgarden becomes known in the North (also, have maesters stopped sending ravens in the last 2 episodes?)

- the attack on the Lannisters is made known

- Jon has not returned and is seen as a prisoner

- Littlefinger convinces Sansa that the time to strike is now - before they are trapped by winter - after all, it is clear that they are very short on food and they will need to eat during the winter

- maybe they go after Casterly Rock or maybe King's Landing

- that decision drives Arya out on her own again

- the Wall is finally breached as King's Landing is under seige (end of season)

Trailers kind of point against any of this happening.

Tawpgun

It's a epic fantasy show so I know they don't want us stressing over logistics too bad but

Lots of people are gonna starve, doesn't matter who sits on the throne or if the white walkers are defeated.

Unless of course, the defeat of the WW causes summer to come.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So that amazing picture of Jaime charging Dany is buyable through DeviantArt but it's really expensive and I dunno if the quality would be shit.

I want it real bad, though...

I known I know, but every single thing used to cause this rush of "Woaaah, what now?"
It's gotten a bit stale.

I'm still watching of course, hoping for that feeling to return.
I may be a bit depressed as well, that doesn't help I'm sure.

...gotta admit I assumed the last episode would end in a death.

That silver white fox.

Personay I think the show has become a pradory of itself.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, I usually don't complain about it, but the mobility issues have definitely gotten worse (meaning people are sailing and flying to places in record time at this point), they just don't have any way to fix it with the limited time they have left.

It's just one of those things where nobody wants to see Dany doing nothing while she waits for her entire Dothraki army to reach the Blackwater Rush. For *reasons* we just have to assume they got there at the same time even though the Dothraki would probably take weeks to get all the way there while Dany could just fly across the bay.

It just kind of stands out next to Dany taking 7 years to reach Westeros and now she's teleporting across the map.

Rixxan

I've met George RR Martin a number of times and he's consistently grateful and gracious. And handsome and typically surrounded by really, really attractive girls. That's probably a product of the environments I meet him in but whatever.

Wtf is this?

More importantly how does this influence your opinion on this season?

LakeEarth

Once Arya went from crossing the narrow sea to reaching the Riverlands in 1-2 episodes, it was over. But timeline issues is I'm willing to accept for good story flow.

Volimar

I mean, I usually don't complain about it, but the mobility issues have definitely gotten worse (meaning people are sailing and flying to places in record time at this point), they just don't have any way to fix it with the limited time they have left.

It's just one of those things where nobody wants to see Dany doing nothing while she waits for her entire Dothraki army to reach the Blackwater Rush. For *reasons* we just have to assume they got there at the same time even though the Dothraki would probably take weeks to get all the way there while Dany could just fly across the bay.

It just kind of stands out next to Dany taking 7 years to reach Westeros and now she's teleporting across the map.

The Blackwater Rush is the river that goes right by King's Landing. I don't think it'd have taken weeks for the horde to reach them. And even if they did, there's no reason not to expect that Dany flew out from their camp as the rode out the day of the battle.

gun_haver

About the 'timeline issues'. The only one that actually is strange is Euron circumventing Westeros to catch the Unsullied after attacking Yara's fleet, and stopping off in King's Landing.

As far as people saying things are moving too quickly or 'Westeros is huge and people are just teleporting' - I think it's exagerrated how different the show was before. In Season 1, Robert makes a reference to being on the road for a month from KL to Winterfell, and he wasn't exactly in a hurry. This journey is made by Cat in the span of half an episode, she just shows up in KL like snap. Also, and this surprised me, in the first few episodes ravens are sent and then it's a smash cut directly to the recipient reading them. Several weeks pass during the course of and between episodes.

I think where people are getting tripped up is remembering how long Arya and The Hound, and Brienne and Jamie, Tyrion and Jorah, seemed to be travelling in S3-5. Other characters, too. Really, though, the only difference is that all of this was shown back then. Now the journeys don't matter as much to what is going on, and the world is very fleshed out, so you don't see them as much.

What I mean to say is the pacing of the show in terms of timescale has always been fairly elastic but I think people got used to the idea that traversing a country should take a full season, when even from the start of the show, sometimes it didn't at all.

This is the kind of skewed take that the previous pacing seems to be causing. Dany didn't take 7 years to reach Westeros. She left Essos for the first time on the show in the finale of S6 and arrived in the premiere of S7. Before that she was running around Essos in various directions doing other things. Also, Dragonstone to the east side of The Reach isn't that far.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Blackwater Rush is the river that goes right by King's Landing. I don't think it'd have taken weeks for the horde to reach them. And even if they did, there's no reason not to expect that Dany flew out from their camp as the rode out the day of the battle.

Even a mounted horde can't move all that far in a single day of marching.

Goodstyle

Hot take: Tommen was just as bad as Joffrey.

He wouldn't let Cersei go to Myrcella's funeral because he was afraid of confronting her about the fact that he was too afraid to confront the High Sparrows about what they did to his wife and mother. That is next level weakness. If he was allowed to rule for long enough, the kingdoms would have fallen into ruin.

Once Arya went from crossing the narrow sea to reaching the Riverlands in 1-2 episodes, it was over. But timeline issues is I'm willing to accept for good story flow.

What about Ned arriving in KL in episode 3 after only leaving WF in episode 2? That's a month long ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom