• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vectorman

Banned
Don't let Jon&Dany fight plz, they're meant to rule together

biggest reveal of the episode for me

It did suddenly occur to me that Dany might not actually be cool with someone who has more legitimacy to the throne, even if she does want to fuck him. I mean she has been wanting the Iron Throne forever now. I could see a scenario that suddenly makes her turn on Jon even if she hates it. She didn't come all this way to bend the knee to Jon now lol. Hmm...I could like that maybe.

Veitsev

Is it just me, or does it seem like the folks from Essos are way better at fighting than the folks in Westeros? Jaime talking about the Dothraki like they were some unbeatable army was pretty jarring considering the Westerosis wear plate mail which should protect them from most attacks the Dothraki can throw at them. Maybe it's just a shear numbers thing, but between the Dothraki, the Unsullied, the Faceless Men, and some of the stuff we've seen from mercenaries here and there, the warriors from Essos seem substantially more skillful than those from Westeros.

Seems like Westeros has better fortifications, siege technology, and more advanced weapons and armor and Essos is better at individual combat and has much more experience. The Dothraki are a tribe of people whose entire culture is defined by war. They are always fighting. There really is not a Westeros equivalent to them. Essos also seems to have less established power structures so there are more bandits and mercenaries. Westeros by comparison has had more wealth and stability and uses soldiers taken from the citizenry that are not going to have the same level of experience.

You must realize they're all going to die. These season is not fucking around.

Well then they all really deserve it because the plan makes absolutely no sense to me.

The entire thing sounds incredibly forced. How and why are they going to confront the army of the dead?

Like, it implies that they are not too far from breaching the wall at all.

And what's up with the timeline of the army of the dead reaching the wall anyway? Feels like they've been marching forever. Im utterly confused at how they knew nothing of them until Bran gave the intel.

I love them going to the North, but it really makes zero sense to me. And come on, Dany has 3 dragons. If this is to make a ceasefire with Cersei, why won't she just give Jon a dragon to make everything easier.

I mean, she's clearly thirsty af for him already

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
DHKP2KOUQAIoLkT.jpg

NolbertoS

It did suddenly occur to me that Dany might not actually be cool with someone who has more legitimacy to the throne, even if she does want to fuck him. I could see a scenario that suddenly makes her turn on Jon even if she hates it. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I don't know man. Like Melisandre said "She bright Fire and Ice tigether for a reason". The books are called the "Songs of Fire and Ice". There will be union between both, in some way to all Westeroos and another millenium of peace will ensue after the Whitewalker wars.

It did suddenly occur to me that Dany might not actually be cool with someone who has more legitimacy to the throne, even if she does want to fuck him. I mean she has been wanting the Iron Throne forever now. I could see a scenario that suddenly makes her turn on Jon even if she hates it. She didn't come all this way to bend the knee to Jon now lol. Hmm...I could like that maybe.

They keep setting up Dany to be an antagonist. But maybe they just fuck and rule the world together. Jon is pretty OP and lonely without her living by his side. If she dies, he pretty much inherits the dragons and everything, and that just makes him too boring, like when you play a video game and have all the best stats and loot in the end

Goodstyle

Very happy that we got confirmation that the Tyrells are extinct. All these people screaming "YAS WHAT BOSS" about Olenna. The old fool's treachery led to her entire house being destroyed.

Her words will be forgotten.
Her name will be forgotten.
Her house will be forgotten.

But oh she's such a boss because she got one last pot shot in on the guy who was willing to show her mercy.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So here's my thing about the plan and overall fighting the White Walkers:

Isn't there a chance that using a bigger army to fight them is actually a bad thing? It just gives them chance to increase their numbers even more. It's not normal warfare fighting them.

Two, what can the Lannisters even really add at this point? They just lost a huge number of forces. Would a few ten thousand extra men be worth the risk of siding with a lunatic?

Just seems like a terrible plan from every angle.

Jon and Gendry
4MmX4zh.gif

lmaoooo so true.. #InstaBros

Loved everything about this episode except that Houdini act in the beginning. For such a realistic show, that was such utter horseshit lol.. Cmon.. heavy armor, random 40 feet puddle that goes a fucking mile away with no one noticing. Ughh.. I'll try to look away.

Mad Queen stans still think she's just tho? :S

Damn Arya is being played like a fucking fool smh... I hope they pull a prestige on us and it ends up with her figuring it out and seeing LF through. Not sure what to think. I think the Starks are ok because it showed LF giving twirly moustache smile at the end. If that specific scene wasn't there, I would be a lot more worried about the Stark kids.

Fuck off Manhattan cripple for not saying anything

So here's my thing about the plan and overall fighting the White Walkers:

Isn't there a chance that using a bigger army to fight them is actually a bad thing? It just gives them chance to increase their numbers even more. It's not normal warfare fighting them.

Two, what can the Lannisters even really add at this point? They just lost a huge number of forces. Would a few ten thousand extra men be worth the risk of siding with a lunatic?

Just seems like a terrible plan from every angle.
Even if they don't join them, you don't want the Lannisters to come up behind you to attack while you're trying to fight the Walkers. Saying that, you know Cersei is going to pull some dumb fucking shit, I'm hoping Tyrion sees it unless the writers are going fuck it and pretending that all of the sudden she's smarter than him. They've made him out to be a chump all season, so who the fuck knows at this point? :S

Vectorman

Banned
They keep setting up Dany to be an antagonist. But maybe they just fuck and rule the world together. Jon is pretty OP and lonely without her living by his side. If she dies, he pretty much inherits the dragons and everything, and that just makes him too boring

I mean let's be real, one of them is dying whether by Night King, each other, or another House. There's no real happy ending. Jon died once already so definitely Dany is a potential target. I mean I guess the biggest twist of all could be them both making it. LOTR-style ending is fine with me!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

I think as other people mentioned, legitimacy doesn't matter at all anymore. It's not like Cersei is going to be like, "oh you're Prince Rhaegar's legitimate son? Here's the throne, I was just keeping it warm for you." Cersei and her allies are already denying one Targaryen the throne of their ancestors, she isn't just going to roll the welcome mat for another.

Which means Jon would have to take the throne by force if he wants it, and I doubt he'd be able to pull that off with just the North and the Vale. Also, due to the fact that all of Dany's remaining forces are those who are absolutely loyal to her and are from Essos, they wouldn't defect to Jon simply because he is the son of Dany's older brother they don't know anything about. That means that if either Jon or Dany want to make a play at the Iron Throne, they would need each other to defeat Cersei. So ring on finger time!

Hydrus

Just watched it. What an inconsistent show. Last two episodes were great but this was a total disaster. So much stuff I've been waiting to see and they completely whiffed it. The only scene I liked was Dany burning the tarleys. Jorah reunion was about 3 seconds long. Return of Gendry completely glossed over. What a rush job.

I'm not worried. The show's been inconsistent for a long while, but this was a big miss for me.

I thought this episode was way better then the first three.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Jorah is going to die and turn into a white walker. The team will bring him down south to show Cerci the proof of white walkers. I can totally see that happening. That's how Jorah is going to serve his queen and become the eternal Sir Friendzone.

Instead of just mining dragon glass they should be out setting all sorts of fire traps in the north. You catch a few of those things on fire traveling in a horde through a pinch point and you're going to do some damage.

Maybe they are doing that. If they could somehow steer the horde to the Vale with traps, that terrain with traps and fighters might be able to finish them off.

Or yeah, I guess I don't get why three dragons wouldn't make quick and easy work of them, so like I've been speculating I'm sure we'll find out the NK has some kind of projectile weapon (or the Giants can still use bows) and brings a dragon down to add to his forces.

I like how the episode make John a legitimate targaryen and stark.

the rest of the episode was rushed, like a lot then put the break so hard you can smash yourself on the snow part.

erawsd

They keep setting up Dany to be an antagonist. But maybe they just fuck and rule the world together. Jon is pretty OP and lonely without her living by his side. If she dies, he pretty much inherits the dragons and everything, and that just makes him too boring, like when you play a video game and have all the best stats and loot in the end

I don’t think they’re setting her up to be an antogonist. I think they’re setting her up to be rejected by the people of Westeros but Id be surprised if she ever reaches the type of evil we typically see from the actual antagonists on this show.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Can I just say that last shot of them going into the Winter Blast and to the lands Unknown in "V" formation just looked badass

Also I got choked up Sam leaving but also felt vindicated like "Fuck Y'All, I'll YOLO this myself"
Him looking up at what he wanted to be in the halls of greatness as a Meister but knew it wasn't

This may not have been super strong episode, but the chess pieces are starting their attack for a checkmate to happen

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Samwell, IF YOU DONT SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LET GILLY TELL YOU WHO JON'S PARENTS ARE

Lmfao that's not Kit Harington 😭

Why would that matter to Sam? I also was getting mad that Sam wasn't paying her any attention, but later I realised that Sam thinks Jon is Ned's bastard son, and has no reason to doubt that.

Good setup episode but I felt like dropping the Rhaegar stuff that way was a little weird. On the one hand, it's such a ridiculous reveal I'm not sure how else you could do it without it being insanely melodramatic; on the other, Gilly randomly reading a book and finding it seemed absurdly convenient.

Eh. Those books are all stolen from the maesters. Sam's been slowly lifting them for months now.

Why would that matter to Sam? I also was getting mad that Sam wasn't paying her any attention, but later I realised that Sam thinks Jon is Ned's bastard son, and has no reason to doubt that.

I...know? It's a joke. lol not me claiming that's a plothole or anything. I doubt the writer of the book even knows Jon exists, but I admit that anyone knowing of the annulment and writing about it seems a tad far fetched. D&D for ya.

Hydrus

Just saw the preview for 6. Looks like they did a bit better job making the night king look like the old one. Next episode gonna be dope.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Very happy that we got confirmation that the Tyrells are extinct. All these people screaming "YAS WHAT BOSS" about Olenna. The old fool's treachery led to her entire house being destroyed.

But oh she's such a boss because she got one last pot shot in on the guy who was willing to show her mercy.

Something tells me you are mad about other stuff lol

Gilly is awesome. Poor Sam, I get how he feels though.

That makes one of us.

He went to the Citadel to try and find his own way to help. Since his arrival, he's managed to find a source of obsidian, cure a knight of a fatal disease, and could have discovered the true heir to the throne of the Seven Kingdoms.

He's a big fat baby who doesn't want to keep putting in work just because some farty old men don't like him, so instead he's going to go back to the front lines of the battle where he can't put in work and the farty young men still don't like him.

-50 DKP.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't know where this Mad Queen nonsense is coming from. Dany isn't burning King's Landing into slag, that alone precludes "Mad Queen".

Uh, what? What do you think she was going to do, have another kid at her age? Her house was dead the minute Cersei murdered her grandkids, her death just sped things up a little.

sangreal

I think as other people mentioned, legitimacy doesn't matter at all anymore. It's not like Cersei is going to be like, "oh you're Prince Rhaegar's legitimate son? Here's the throne, I was just keeping it warm for you." Cersei and her allies are already denying one Targaryen the throne of their ancestors, she isn't just going to roll the welcome mat for another.

Which means Jon would have to take the throne by force if he wants it, and I doubt he'd be able to pull that off with just the North and the Vale. Also, due to the fact that all of Dany's remaining forces are those who are absolutely loyal to her and are from Essos, they wouldn't defect to Jon simply because he is the son of Dany's older brother they don't know anything about. That means that if either Jon or Dany want to make a play at the Iron Throne, they would need each other to defeat Cersei. So ring on finger time!

It does matter to Dany though. She has spent the last few episodes arguing Jon needs to bend the knee because of it

Crossing Eden

I don't know where this Mad Queen nonsense is coming from, Dany isn't burning King's Landing into slag. That alone precludes "Mad Queen".
Targaryens are prone to madness so for some it's like even when she's towing the line of morality it almost seems like it's foreshadowing that.

sappyday

A lot of the plot progression feels forced and sloppy. How did Tyrion know Jamie was still alive or dead? Why is Bron in King's Landing when he said he was out, how would Tyrion know he was dead or alive too?
Why are the northerners all against Jon now? Just cause he went to go see Daenerys and decided to do a recon job up north? There's a reason why they named him KotN but not being at Winterfell for a little while is enough to stop being loyal.

Or maybe it's not such little time at all. Maybe Jon was at Storm's End for like a few months cause that's how realistically it would be with all the teleporting that's going on.

Also that plan sounds really stupid. Just fucking kill Cersei.

It played a lot like that Attack On Titan reveal the way it was casually revealed and dropped out of nowhere.

GOAT reveal.

I find it weird that Arya would look around without changing her face, unless she knew LF is watching her. I'm going to wait before I say anything, but dumb tv show logic might end up showing up by the next 2 episodes. I still can't believe they pulled the puddle nonsense lol

Also one person that desperately needs to die is Cersei. Fuck her. She's a piece of shit. Needs to be repeated. I wouldn't doubt it if she's lying about the pregnancy.

RedAssedApe

Banned
GOAT reveal.

I find it weird that Arya would look around without changing her face, unless she knew LF is watching her. I'm going to wait before I say anything, but dumb tv show logic might end up showing up by the next 2 episodes. I still can't believe they pulled the puddle nonsense lol

im going to pretend that she's being purposely stupid and trying to get caught so littlefinger tries to off her. :\

Something tells me you are mad about other stuff lol

This.

I mean that guy (Jamie) is also directly connected the person who blew up the place with Margaery and Margaery's brother and father in it too.

And you know that Cersei would have wanted her to suffer long-term if she had known it was her, so it is a pretty good dig at Cersei, and all she could really do at that point with all of her family dead already.

And Olenna herself commented on how her family has been wiped out in her same speech.

Uh, what? What do you think she was going to do, have another kid at her age? Her house was dead the minute Cersei murdered her grandkids, her death just sped things up a little.

Exactly.

Targaryens are prone to madness so for some it's like even when she's towing the line of morality it almost seems like it's foreshadowing that.

They're not really prone to madness though. Like, this isn't some trait they all share. "When a Targaryen is born, the gods flip a coin" is meant to note that half of them are pretty much crazy and the other half aren't. Dany's the latter. I have my nitpicks with the character, but she's not really approaching Mad King level cruelty, just doing what's needed to win a war. She's no Ned Stark.

How is it possible to be against Olenna? She was great. Shame on you.

im going to pretend that she's being purposely stupid and trying to get caught so littlefinger tries to off her. :\
Yeah.. I wanna say yes because of his evil smile as he saw her, because that seems like cheap trickery. Then again, I still can't get the thought of the puddle that they just pulled on us :D

A lot of the plot progression feels forced and sloppy. How did Tyrion know Jamie was still alive or dead? Why is Bron in King's Landing when he said he was out, how would Tyrion know he was dead or alive too?
Why are the northerners all against Jon now? Just cause he went to go see Daenerys and decided to do a recon job up north? There's a reason why they named him KotN but not being at Winterfell for a little while is enough to stop being loyal.

Or maybe it's not such little time at all. Maybe Jon was at Storm's End for like a few months cause that's how realistically it would be with all the teleporting that's going on.

That's a damn good question.

I was kinda annoyed that they managed to just swim away, in armor tbh lmao. No one came looking for them or anything lmfaaaaaooooooo

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

From the look of the episode Littlefinger may be turning the lords away from Jon and towards Sansa.

Crossing Eden

They're not really prone to madness though. Like, this isn't some trait they all share. "When a Targaryen is born, the gods flip a coin" is meant to note that half of them are pretty much crazy and the other half aren't. Dany's the latter. I have my nitpicks with the character, but she's not really approaching Mad King level cruelty, just doing what's needed to win a war. She's no Ned Stark.
Considering all the incest, yea it's pretty plausible that they're prone to madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom