• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tagg9

What I don't understand is why Jon and his bros are purposefully walking towards the dead when the White Walkers are literally running south right now (heading in their approximate direction). Wouldn't it be better to bunker down somewhere and just wait for the Wights to reach them?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What I don't understand is why Jon and his bros are purposefully walking towards the dead when they White Walkers are literally running south right now (heading in their approximate direction). Wouldn't it be better to bunker down somewhere and just wait for the Wights to reach them?
They have no confidence they can beat them without the armies of King's Landing.

HowZatOZ

Banned
What I don't understand is why Jon and his bros are purposefully walking towards the dead when they White Walkers are literally running south right now (heading in their approximate direction). Wouldn't it be better to bunker down somewhere and just wait for the Wights to reach them?

I guess they are hoping to just grab a scout or something and move with haste? Honestly this idea of getting a white walker is stupidity and doesn't really make much sense so hey who the fuck knows really.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess they are hoping to just grab a scout or something and move with haste? Honestly this idea of getting a white walker is stupidity and doesn't really make much sense so hey who the fuck knows really.
They aren't looking for a White Walker. They just need basically any zombie.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Actually, Jon is a "true born" Targaryen since Rhaegar and Lyanna got married

There is no question whom should be on the throne... Gendry, since Robbert won it

Gendry is a bastard, and ya'll seem to keep forgetting that the throne already has someone sitting on it, who won't exactly give it up without a fight.

We need a running bet on survivors of the Fellowship of the Bastards:

Jon
Tormund
Hound
Gendry

Everyone else, ded.

I agree with this list other than Gendry. Like I said, that kid's getting got. No one in the writing room wants to deal with his claim to the throne as even a semi-serious plot thread moving forward because unlike the other contenders no effort has been made to get the viewer invested in the idea of him as a claimant.

uuh I don't remember this, if this is a book spoiler get outta here

if it's from the show, then what?
I haven't read the books. Melisandre has been going on about this prophecy for ever though. She thought it was Stannis and now she thinks it's Jon. Spoiler tagged it still just n case I guess. :(

Angry Grimace

I agree with this list other than Gendry. Like I said, that kid's getting got. No one in the writing room wants to deal with his claim to the throne as even a semi-serious plot thread moving forward because unlike the other contenders no effort has been made to get the viewer invested in the idea of him as a claimant.
He has no claim to the throne unless both Dany and Jon die and if both of them die I suspect the series won't bother to explain what happens after that anyways.

Tagg9

They have no confidence they can beat them without the armies of King's Landing.

No, I'm saying that the army of the dead is already heading south RIGHT NOW. Assume that Jon and co. reach them in about a day's march - if so, then the Band of Bastards could have just stayed put and waited a day for the Wights to get to them. One extra day isn't going to make any difference. And regardless of how long it takes Jon's group to reach them, presumably once they have a Wight they'll return south at the same rate as the rest of the White Walker army. So what is the point?!

pablito

It doesn't not make sense that Jon bypassed Winterfell, but I feel robbed that we didn't get another reunion. Especially Arya and Jon.

Did Dany fly to Jon immediately after returning from her victory? Kind of wondering what she wanted to say to him before Drogon let Jon pet him. Maybe he's just the first person she wanted to see as she's obviously gaining more attraction to him.

Fuck
lord Glover. This dude refused the call, talks about regretting it, and now he's questioning his king while he's trying to save all their sorry asses. The north can suck sometimes.

This isn't a shipping whatever comment, but marriage (J+D) should have been brought up long ago. Dany left Daario for this. Jon is king, Dany is queen. They both want to be allies but can't compromise their position. Marriage would solve this and nobody has mentioned it.

This ranging party is one of the dopest ensembles the show has had. I do wish Brienne was there, though. And my dudes Sandor and Gendry better not die.

That rowing joke is the type of fanservice I can get behind. It was great.

Kraut

How much does Littlefinger actually grasp regarding Bran's ability? That "chaos is a ladder" shit Bran whipped out last episode was meant to be a sort of threat right? Like, "I know the kind of shit you've been up to, Littlefinger, and I'm onto you." But does Littlefinger actually *get* that Bran can essentially time travel? My read is that no, he doesn't, and that lack of knowledge will be his undoing.

He has no claim to the throne unless both Dany and Jon die and if both of them die I suspect the series won't bother to explain what happens after that anyways.

It's enough of a thread for obsessive fans to pull on it needlessly. It's much cleaner to just off him in a frozen wasteland a thousand miles away from anyone who will ever know or care what name he doesn't have.

I guess I'm just a pattern-recognition sort of animal, but when I look at this I see a problem and a solution that have been very conveniently paired together.

HowZatOZ

Banned
It doesn't not make sense that Jon bypassed Winterfell, but I feel robbed that we didn't get another reunion. Especially Arya and Jon.

Did Dany fly to Jon immediately after returning from her victory? Kind of wondering what she wanted to say to him before Drogon let Jon pet him. Maybe he's just the first person she wanted to see as she's obviously gaining more attraction to him.

Fuck
lord Glover. This dude refused the call, talks about regretting it, and now he's questioning his king while he's trying to save all their sorry asses. The north can suck sometimes.

This isn't a shipping whatever comment, but marriage (J+D) should have been brought up long ago. Dany left Daario for this. Jon is king, Dany is queen. They both want to be allies but can't compromise their position. Marriage would solve this and nobody has mentioned it.

This ranging party is one of the dopest ensembles the show has had. I do wish Brienne was there, though. And my dudes Sandor and Gendry better not die.

That rowing joke is the type of fanservice I can get behind. It was great.

Brienne would have been amazing but shit is about to go down in Winterfell so makes sense she stay there.

VeeP

I really hope Gendry doesn't die. I feel like he will simply because he was so fucking likeable this episode.

https://youtu.be/8gh0-4hOzyw

Dany ruled out attacking Kings Landing and the Red Keep directly. The dragon flying overhead in Brans glimpse of the future happens after Jon Snow returns with proof of the undead and meets with all the major players. There is also a snowed out and destroyed Red Keep in his future visions... this war with the dead is most likely going to come down to the wire/destroy most of the seven kingdoms and include time jumps in season 8.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
ce9c4f37b386a1bc0dc21da01f1c1f9b--game-of-thrones-westeros-westeros-map.jpg

Pretty sure Jon sailed to eastwatch directly from dragonstone because that's where Tormund is. No Starks reunion since they're at winterfell.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This season is totally ending with the wall breached, I'm willing to bet money on that

I really hope Gendry doesn't die. I feel like he will simply because he was so fucking likeable this episode.

I mean, I think it would be really cool if they throw me for a loop on this one and say, Jorah bites it to save everyone and Gendry and the Brotherhood all make it back and actually become important characters who are relevant to everything moving forward.

The writer in me, though, says the only reason this entire "zombie hunt" plot exists is because they needed to get the Hound and Jorah matched up with the Northmen (to reduce the number of "loose" characters running around not cleanly involved with any of the focal point characters) and get rid of a whole lot of unwanted chaff at the same time.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I mean, I think it would be really cool if they throw me for a loop on this one and say, Jorah bites it to save everyone and Gendry and the Brotherhood all make it back and actually become important characters who are relevant to everything moving forward.

The writer in me, though, says the only reason this entire "zombie hunt" plot exists is because they needed to get the Hound and Jorah matched up with the Northmen (to reduce the number of "loose" characters running around not cleanly involved with any of the focal point characters) and get rid of a whole lot of unwanted chaff at the same time.
I'm willing to bet Jorah end up being the zombie they bring down south to show Cercei.

Arya is a master of the tactical. Tactics are immediate.

Littlefinger has mastered the strategic for decades. Strategy is about the long term and the bigger picture.

Arya beating Brianne last week was tactics beating tactics.

Arya being manuipulated by Littlefinger by strategy this week was fitting. Wish they wouldn't have telegraphed it in so much. Every viewer saw it coming.

Arya's greatest challenge awaits her. She isn't prepared. She hasn't trained for this kind of fight.

Angry Grimace

No, I'm saying that the army of the dead is already heading south RIGHT NOW. Assume that Jon and co. reach them in about a day's march - if so, then the Band of Bastards could have just stayed put and waited a day for the Wights to get to them. One extra day isn't going to make any difference. And regardless of how long it takes Jon's group to reach them, presumably once they have a Wight they'll return south at the same rate as the rest of the White Walker army. So what is the point?!
Waiting until they destroy the wall and then north is a bad idea.

Eleuin

Probably. I mean, to be honest, him surviving the whole affair would be kind of... sad? He's pretty emotionally beaten up at this point, and tired of surviving everyone he cares about just to get older and more tired as a result.

He still deserves better than to get offed on The Expedition That Exists Only to Write Extraneous Characters Out of the Story, though.

I guess I'm just miffed he'll be offed without anyone important around to acknowledge it

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The only issue I have with this season or I guess just the plot in general, and it isn't a huge deal, but it's Bran's whole angle. They basically have to gimp his powers or pretend like he doesn't exist for a bit, otherwise he could tell everyone what is going on. He could tell Arya what Littlefinger is planning, he could tell Jon and Dany what Cersei is planning. He could tell everyone what the Night King is planning.

He basically sits there all day and does nothing but have visions and he's done nothing this season sans for tell a couple things to Arya and Sansa, and then tell Jon that the Night King is headed to East Watch.

It's a tad weird following the story knowing the whole time Bran could easily reveal all, but he isn't. Again, not a huge deal, but it is something I think about now and again.

televator

Davos is a treasure

Gilly is a true scholar nearly discovering that Jon is not a bastard at all. He's completely legit through lawful marriage. Hopefully they packed that book along with everything else they took. So if Sam returns to whatever Tarly castle he could become lord of house Tarly... if it weren't for him taking the black.

Bran can't afford to let Little Fucker start trouble in Winterfell. He's gonna have to team up with Arya against him and use his power for things other than creeping people out. Hopefully Sansa can hold off on doing something stupid.

Dragons bend to Jon. Jorah is going to die in the North and tell Jon to take care of Dany. Tormund must live for his lady Brienne. At the last minute before all the magnificent 7 die Drogon shows up to save Jon since he took a liking to him. Also, I bet Ghost shows up. If they can't at least have Ghost show up North of the wall where Jon needs him most, I give up.

wandering

Banned
The only issue I have with this season or I guess just the plot in general, and it isn't a huge deal, but it's Bran's whole angle. They basically have to gimp his powers or pretend like he doesn't exist for a bit, otherwise he could tell everyone what is going on. He could tell Arya what Littlefinger is planning, he could tell Jon and Dany what Cersei is planning. He could tell everyone what the Night King is planning.

He basically sits there all day and does nothing but have visions and he's done nothing this season sans for tell a couple things to Arya and Sansa, and then tell Jon that the Night King is headed to East Watch.

It's a tad weird following the story knowing the whole time Bran could easily reveal all, but he isn't. Again, not a huge deal, but it is something I think about now and again.

He's just gone full Dr. Manhattan, i.e. unconcerned with the quibbles of mortal men.

So what was the note that Little Finger has?

It was the letter that Cersei forced Sansa to write after King Robert died, calling Ned a traitor and asking Robb to come to King's Landing and bend the knee.

From the GOT subreddit:

"Robb, I write to you with a heavy heart. Our good king Robert is dead, killed from wounds he took in a boar hunt. Father has been charged with treason. He conspired with Robert's brothers against my beloved Joffrey and tried to steal his throne. The Lannisters are treating me very well and provide me with every comfort. I beg you: come to King's Landing, swear fealty to King Joffrey and prevent any strife between the great houses of Lannister and Stark."

Jombie

Best episode so far. A couple of real lol moments, and a much-needed human moment between Cersei and Jamie. I still miss Martin's writing, but it's crazy fun and entertaining.

MrMatt555

I may have missed a few important bits regarding the blindfolded man and his companion. Why are they Important and why can the blindfolded man summon flame to his sword during the preview. ?

This is going to be such a badass journey. These characters are so freaking fun. Plz dont let anyone die :(

Beric is such a badass.

Also, remember the first time they go north of the wall? It was a full on creepy horror feeling. Such a fantastic location

Yeah, I expect it to be quite atmospheric again. So I hope a lot of the runtime of next week's episode is with them without jumping away too often since this is such a great group, seeing them journey, interact, and fight together should be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom