• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
that does sound like something they would say, but could you provide a source?

TfKdV0T.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
thanks. i'd prefer they don't dwell too much time on traveling anyway, that's one thing that bothered me about the arya hound timeline

It bothered me the first time I watched it live. But when binge watching it I've had no problems at all. It's an interesting study on how to make a show. Do you write it expecting the long waits between episodes and seasons, or do you write it expecting it to be watched altogether/binged. Some things in Game of Thrones only work live with wait times while others dont (the John dying then coming back the next episode feels stupid when watching it all together, but was awesome when there was a huge wait between seasons)

HowZatOZ

Banned
What I want to know is, how the fuck did Arya Stark suddenly get good at face stealing? All through her redemption path she was absolutely terrible at learning, and now she was able to infiltrate and kill everyone.

Volimar

What I want to know is, how the fuck did Arya Stark suddenly get good at face stealing? All through her redemption path she was absolutely terrible at learning, and now she was able to infiltrate and kill everyone.

Of all the stuff I was learning, the magic face stealing ritual would be something I'd pay extra attention to.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Well, she was pretty good at it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4O9IWLoABU

I think her mayor flaw was just not being able to stop being Arya Stark and become "no one". The whole face thing she could do.

Euron thinks he needs Cersei, but he really wants the bad pussy.

I'm calling it, he's going to kill/capture the Sand Snakes and bring them to Cersei so she can get revenge for her Daughter. I just don't see Tyrion dying yet, I feel like his character arc isn't complete and he still has an important role to play.

Plus I think the reason he met Jon Snow and spent time with him at the wall and saved his life and became friends in Season 1 is to establish a connection/relationship so they can meet again soon and he can introduce him to Dany and they can hopefully form an alliance of sorts.

If Jon is a legitimate son and not a bastard after all and Dany finds out, I wonder if she'll try to have him killed so he can't contest her claim?

But Jon has so much plot armor right now he could literally fight the mountain and he'd probably win, so not expecting him to bite it again anytime soon.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Well, she was pretty good at it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4O9IWLoABU

I think her mayor flaw was just not being able to stop being Arya Stark and become "no one". The whole face thing she could do.
Mmm I guess so, it just seemed to accelerated and almost beyond her previous knowledge to infiltrate and kill off a bunch of people when she struggled so hard in being a fish seller with her own face. I guess it's just one of those things we'll see as we get closer to the "end" with the story just needing to be solved so writers just wave magic hands to solve issues.

FStubbs

Euron thinks he needs Cersei, but he really wants the bad pussy.

I'm calling it, he's going to kill/capture the Sand Snakes and bring them to Cersei so she can get revenge for her Daughter. I just don't see Tyrion dying yet, I feel like his character arc isn't complete and he still has an important role to play.

Plus I think the reason he met Jon Snow and spent time with him at the wall and saved his life and became friends in Season 1 is to establish a connection/relationship so they can meet again soon and he can introduce him to Dany and they can hopefully form an alliance of sorts.

If Jon is a legitimate son and not a bastard after all and Dany finds out, I wonder if she'll try to have him killed so he can't contest her claim?

But Jon has so much plot armor right now he could literally fight the mountain and he'd probably win, so not expecting him to bite it again anytime soon.

Actually, Jon and Sansa meeting with Tyrion and Theon will be all sorts of awkward.

I'm guessing Danaerys' initial reaction to Jon would be "bend the knee, help me get rid of Cersei, and then I'll help you with whatever's going on in the North, since the North is part of my kingdom anyway."

If it's found he's a legitimate son (which would mean his claim is greater than hers), she'd propose marriage. And surrendering his claim for her assistance.

Though ... how much longer will Jon even be King in the North? Bran has a better claim.

Jombie

I always pegged Jon as someone who really didn't care about titles but simply wanted to make a difference. I don't think he'll be king in the north for long, but I think he'll predictably end up on the iron throne - out of a sense of duty, not want.

pablito

Part of (all of?) why she left Daario in Meereen is because she'll have to find someone to marry.

Sansa "You're good at this. At ruling."

If they don't pair up Dany and Jon I'll be legit surprised.

Zolo

Actually, Jon and Sansa meeting with Tyrion and Theon will be all sorts of awkward.

I'm guessing Danaerys' initial reaction to Jon would be "bend the knee, help me get rid of Cersei, and then I'll help you with whatever's going on in the North, since the North is part of my kingdom anyway."

If it's found he's a legitimate son (which would mean his claim is greater than hers), she'd propose marriage. And surrendering his claim for her assistance.

Though ... how much longer will Jon even be King in the North? Bran has a better claim.

I think it's more likely she'll want to handle things the Targaryan way.

jfkgoblue

Bran has no desire to be king in the north, he's the three-eyed raven, he will let Jon stay KitN until Jon inevitably takes the Iron Throne(if it is still a thing). His entire arc has been people thrusting him up the ladder of leadership, even if he never desired any of it. Literally the polar opposite of Dany's arc.

It bothered me the first time I watched it live. But when binge watching it I've had no problems at all.
I started watching this last year, so I basically just bingewatched season 1-6 all on HBO go. Pretty much just an episode a day, and still for me, the Arya hound arc was annoying because of all the traveling.
It's an interesting study on how to make a show. Do you write it expecting the long waits between episodes and seasons, or do you write it expecting it to be watched altogether/binged. Some things in Game of Thrones only work live with wait times while others dont (the John dying then coming back the next episode feels stupid when watching it all together, but was awesome when there was a huge wait between seasons)
This would be an interesting thing to study on, I made a thread about it late last year but it has since died

Einchy

The Arya and Hound storyline is mostly just character development between each other, it's not interesting without the traveling. We don't come to love and know The Hound as the good guy he can be if not for all of that.

The Arya and Hound storyline is mostly just character development between each other, it's not interesting without the traveling. We don't come to love and know The Hound as the good guy he can be if not for all of that.
For me personally though I didn't start liking the Hound till last episode. I didn't like him much at all tbh, I thought he was a goner after his vs. with Brienne and I thought, good riddance. Then he popped back up again and I'm like, great. Now what's next.

But I like the development he's had, a lot. Arguably one of the best developments of the show, main character or not.

Einchy

For me personally though I didn't start liking the Hound till last episode. I didn't like him much at all tbh, I thought he was a goner after his vs. with Brienne and I thought, good riddance. Then he popped back up again and I'm like, great. Now what's next.

But I like the development he's had, a lot. Arguably one of the best developments of the show, main character or not.

This is how people reacted to The Hound coming back.

https://youtu.be/LIjZUxv5Qes?t=55s

People loooooved that character because of season 3. He was a big fan favorite.

DBT85

Love the Hound mostly because of Rory McCann's delivery of his lines. His contempt for everyone feels real and he really nails his swearing.

I'm going through season 5 again, and man, what a chore. I ended up fast forwarding through some stuff. Especially Dorne. I frikken hate the sandsnakes.

I don't remember if Elyria Sand was this much of a bitch in the books but I hate how Indira Verma plays her.

I feel like one of the reason season 5 sucks for me is the sheer amount of travel. The only travel of interest was the Valyria stuff.

Tyrion and Varys travel - boring.
Jamie and Bronn - absolutely a waste.
Pod and Brienne riding horses every episode
Arya and House complaining while walking
Littlefinger And Sansa travelling. I dont even remember when Sansa and Littlefinger got to Winterfell.
The only decent epinside to me was Hardhome.

Khansolo1

So what's the difference between The prince that was promised and Azor ahai?
I saw the word Azor ahai somewhere on twitter and I wanted to ask you guys what is Azor ahai?

Einchy

So what's the difference between The prince that was promised and Azor ahai?
I saw the word Azor ahai somewhere on twitter and I wanted to ask you guys what is Azor ahai?

You'll get a better answer in the book thread, that name hasn't been brought up in the show.

Another episode that ends with Dany. I don't care!

At least Arya's opening was good here. Much stronger than her final scene in the finale that fell on it's face. Her like about leaving one wolf was badass. Weirdly enough, I am glad it wasn't her delivering the actual ones. Actor for Walder nailed it. He is good stuff...may he RIP.

I am hoping Sansa and John continue to habe a realistic relationship where they disagree abouts things but don't jump to wanting to murder each other.

Umm...Can't remember anything else. Episode was good. Not bad. Not great.

last year's episode ends with her on a ship on her way, and this past episode ends with her arriving. easy way to have to do away with plot for an episode

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Yeeeeah but remember that obsidian is volcanic glass. It might "just" be obsidian in the Game of Thrones universe, but if they were created by dragon fire that might be why they are "magic".

There are no volcanoes in the GoT universe that I know of.

Ah yes there is lol. Valyria was built around them, and in the lore, the Valyrians were like shepherds before they found dragons near those volcanoes. With magic they bound the dragons and built the greatest empire the world has ever known. Valyrian Steel swords are made not just with dragon fire, but with magic as well. Oh and, Dragonstone is considered to be a volcanic island.

It's weird how Westeros barely has any magic, yet people like the Rhynor had a water magic and shit.

Ah yes there is lol. Valyria was built around them, and in the lore, the Valyrians were like shepherds before they found dragons near those volcanoes. With magic they bound the dragons and built the greatest empire the world has ever known. Valyrian Steel swords are made not just with dragon fire, but with magic as well. Oh and, Dragonstone is considered to be a volcanic island.

It's weird how Westeros barely has any magic, yet people like the Rhynor had a water magic and shit.

ravens are pretty damn magical. how the fuck can you trust a bird with piece of parchment and expect it to know exactly where it is supposed to go

Yeeeeah but remember that obsidian is volcanic glass. It might "just" be obsidian in the Game of Thrones universe, but if they were created by dragon fire that might be why they are "magic".

There are no volcanoes in the GoT universe that I know of.

Well you can still find obsidian around eroded and dead volcanoes. Easter Island was littered with shards of it. I "borrowed" a few bits, should the White Walkers come I'll be right.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
ravens are pretty damn magical. how the fuck can you trust a bird with piece of parchment and expect it to know exactly where it is supposed to go

That stuff is just weird. How come no one has ever bothered to just shoot down everyone's ravens? lol

On a side note (actually just jumping into the earlier conversation). How can dragons have been responsible for dragonglass used by the CotF, when dragons were introduced to Westeros nearly 8000 years later by the Targaryens? Dragons who were first discovered in Essos by the Valyrians a thousand years before Aegon's landing. Dragon glass is simply obsidian as a result of volcanic activity. Dragonstone is a volcanic island, hence the mountain of dragonglass.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They're just fantasy versions of homing pigeons which exist and were used for the same purpose.

The way they work in real life is that the pigeon only knows one location which it always returns to which is why they sometimes worked like that in real life. You can assume ravens work rhe same way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeon_post

Noctix

It will be fun if jamie kills cersie and then as she is dying he takes his masks off BOOM its arya!!! The only person i care about in this show is Arya i hope she survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom