• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like how both Cersei and Dany dress like Bioware villainesses now.

Nameless

I might die of laughter if Dany's dragons immediately flock to Jon's side or start going apeshit like one of those soldier/dog reunion videos when he inevitability travels down to Dragonstone. The #Danyface alone will make the moment worth it.

Well you can still find obsidian around eroded and dead volcanoes. Easter Island was littered with shards of it. I "borrowed" a few bits, should the White Walkers come I'll be right.
lemme get some
That stuff is just weird. How come no one has ever bothered to just shoot down everyone's ravens? lol

On a side note (actually just jumping into the earlier conversation). How can dragons have been responsible for dragonglass used by the CotF, when dragons were introduced to Westeros nearly 8000 years later by the Targaryens? Dragons who were first discovered in Essos by the Valyrians a thousand years before Aegon's landing. Dragon glass is simply obsidian as a result of volcanic activity. Dragonstone is a volcanic island, hence the mountain of dragonglass.
To your second question, someone else in this thread said that it was implied the maesters are deceptive of the Westerosi historical timeline, and that a lot of the events did not happen 8,000 years but rather something close to 2,000. Not that that has anything to do with obsidian I guess, I agree that it shouldn't have to be made with dragon fire to become a thing.

I don't see what's special about the fire coming out of a dragon's mouth as opposed to a fire that Thoros makes and stares at. Dragons are just flying, organic, flame throwers.
He also killed Oberyn, the highest crime anyone committed thus far in GoT.
That was a difficult death to watch. What the mountain did to the viper, that, that...was pretty rude, what he did to him.
Maybe that's one of the 3-eyed Raven's duties. Sort of a postmaster general for Westeros. lol
oh hey, maybe.

in the trailers,
it is presumed that Bran wargs into a raven or a crow in a crowd of them in the air
They're just fantasy versions of homing pigeons which exist and were used for the same purpose.

The way they work in real life is that the pigeon only knows one location which it always returns to which is why they sometimes worked like that in real life. You can assume ravens work rhe same way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeon_post
Oh I see. Well ravens are extra good at homing skills, since Westeros is like the size of South America.

That is interesting though, I do remember a scene in Narcos with the DEA agents shooting down a bird with a parchment tied to its foot, just like the images in that wikipedia article
I like how both Cersei and Dany dress like Bioware villainesses now.
now you got me thinking that the night king looks like an asari
I might die of laughter if Dany's dragons immediately flock to Jon's side or start going apeshit like one of those soldier/dog reunion videos when he inevitability travels down to Dragonstone. The #Danyface alone will make the moment worth it.
She'll probably get turned on seeing how much her dragons feel at home with him.

Pagusas

Elden Member
ravens are pretty damn magical. how the fuck can you trust a bird with piece of parchment and expect it to know exactly where it is supposed to go

Well its not unheard of... you know we had used birds in the real world to send messages to right?

Edit: I see someone else pointed this out, disregard :)

It will be fun if jamie kills cersie and then as she is dying he takes his masks off BOOM its arya!!! The only person i care about in this show is Arya i hope she survives.
That would be so much fun and such a good twist on what we're expecting.

'yeah, we all guessed he'd kill Cersie... Oh my God, its Arya!'

comments i've seen like "all i want from season 7 are some sansa boobs" or "kinvara will be back because we haven't seen her boobs yet" come off as extremely distasteful in my opinion

If they do go this route, it'd be hard sell since Jamie Lannister is 6'1 (so is the actor) and Arya Stark is 5'0 at best.

It's more realistic to take Tyrion's face, if he dies, which I don't think he will when the show is over.

Elandyll

Banned
Part of (all of?) why she left Daario in Meereen is because she'll have to find someone to marry.

Sansa "You're good at this. At ruling."

If they don't pair up Dany and Jon I'll be legit surprised.
It makes so much sense it would be mind blowing if it didn't happen (yeah I know, Aunt/ Nephew).

I mean, they quite literally are the symbol of the name of the series the show is based on (A Song of Ice and Fire).

It makes so much sense it would be mind blowing if it didn't happen (yeah I know, Aunt/ Nephew).

I mean, they quite literally are the symbol of the name of the series the show is based on (A Song of Ice and Fire).
if it does end up happening, and afterwards Dany finds out that he's her brother's son, I think that'll only want to make her be closer with him since she's heard so many good things about him and never got to know him.

Jon on the other hand, I dunno. might take him a little while longer to come around.

It wouldn't be though because this is what everyone suddenly expects to happen.
Honestly I just expected Jamie to kill her, I hadn't thought of Arya mercing him and taking his face.

But that would mean Arya also killed Jamie. Is he on her list?
Will she only kill people on her list? If she has the opportunity to get close to Cersei by killing someone, I'd expect her to.

If they do go this route, it'd be hard sell since Jamie Lannister is 6'1 (so is the actor) and Arya Stark is 5'0 at best.

It's more realistic to take Tyrion's face, if he dies, which I don't think he will when the show is over.
Is she the same height as Walder then? I was starting to get the impression that height didn't matter at this point. Maybe I'm wrong?

Nameless

She'll probably get turned on seeing how much her dragons feel at home with him.

It'll also depend on if Jon is aware of his Targaryen origins. After all Rhaegar's son has a stronger claim than Aerys' daughter -- even if Jon isn't particularly interested in the Iron Throne. Though I do think he would go for it if he saw it as the best way to rally Westeros against the Dead.

It'll also depend if Jon is aware of his Targaryen origins. After all Rhaegar's son has a stronger claim than Aerys' daughter.
he might just subconsciously have something telling him to reciprocate and approach the dragons without even knowing what it is in him giving him the impulse.

Nameless

he might just subconsciously have something telling him to reciprocate and approach the dragons without even knowing what it is in him giving him the impulse.

Good point. We've seen Dany develop some sort of 'sixth sense' with her dragons, well Dragon at least.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It bothered me the first time I watched it live. But when binge watching it I've had no problems at all. It's an interesting study on how to make a show. Do you write it expecting the long waits between episodes and seasons, or do you write it expecting it to be watched altogether/binged. Some things in Game of Thrones only work live with wait times while others dont (the John dying then coming back the next episode feels stupid when watching it all together, but was awesome when there was a huge wait between seasons)

Yea I would agree. I waited and watched Lost all in one go and I definitely got the impression that some of the cliffhangers (and subsequent openers) would have been better with a few months in between them, particularly the whole 'we have to go back' part. Not having to wait during the seasons was a godsend though.

Good point. We've seen Dany develop some sort of 'sixth sense' with her dragons, well Dragon at least.
yep the only difference though is that Dany has more incest, particularly Targaryen incest, in her blood than Jon does. Dany did however name one of her dragons after Jon's father, I think

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
It'll also depend on if Jon is aware of his Targaryen origins. After all Rhaegar's son has a stronger claim than Aerys' daughter -- even if Jon isn't particularly interested in the Iron Throne. Though I do think he would go for it if he saw it as the best way to rally Westeros against the Dead.

Didn't Bran see all that last season? I've been assuming he's going to find and tell Jon.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Didn't Bran see all that last season? I've been assuming he's going to find and tell Jon.

I really hope they don't concoct some kind of contrived reason to keep Bran from Winterfell now that he is at the wall. I'm hoping the next Winterfell scene is Bran arriving.

I'm not 100%, but I think the audience is supposed to know about Jon Snow's parents thanks to the s6 finale and this diagram
download.0.png

however, I do not think Bran knows just yet who Jon's father is, he is only just learned that Ned is not his father, and that his mother wasn't some nobody but Lyanna Stark.

Part of the reason I say this is Carcetti's video about s6 history. Rhaegar's box is a question mark.

https://youtu.be/DzrLtBC7wXc?t=4m14s

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm not 100%, but I think the audience is supposed to know about Jon Snow's parents thanks to the s6 finale and this diagram

however, I do not think Bran knows just yet who Jon's father is, he is only just learned that Ned is not his father, and that his mother wasn't some nobody but Lyanna Stark.

Part of the reason I say this is Carcetti's video about s6 history. Rhaegar's box is a question mark.

Ohhh yes that's it right, we see that Lyanna's his mother and Ned's obviously not his father. But was never explicitly said that Rhaegar is the father (though we're like, 99% as viewers, right?)

jfkgoblue

Ohhh yes that's it right, we see that Lyanna's his mother and Ned's obviously not his father. But was never explicitly said that Rhaegar is the father (though we're like, 99% as viewers, right?)
The fact that the kings guard is protecting the site should tip Bran off.

No he knows. Part of the narrative was the she was raped. So even if he isnt able to assume that she willingly ran away with him, he knows who the father would be.

we 100% as viewers know because of that diagram HBO released.
No he knows. Part of the narrative was the she was raped. So even if he isnt able to assume that she willingly ran away with him, he knows who the father would be.
this makes sense; Bran also heard whatever name Lyanna whispered in Ned's ear which was likely a Targaryen sounding name, but we don't know for sure (yet). We haven't heard Bran review to Meera or anyone what the fuck he just saw.

Zolo

I don't think he is, but I'm trying to understand why. Did she never get word that Jaime pushed Bran out the window?

I think I remember Robb accusing Jamie of it. I don't think Ned knew otherwise he likely never would have even offered Cersei the chance to flee.

I don't think he is, but I'm trying to understand why. Did she never get word that Jaime pushed Bran out the window?
I don't think she did. I think that scene with the guised Arya looking at Jaime while Bronn got jealous was her, contemplating whether to kill him or not and she spared him.

If she knew about it she probably would've done something.

This is my first season watching the show as it airs. Heard about the series for quite a few years but it wasn't until right before Easter of this year that I finally got persuaded to watch it and I fell in love and just binge watched all 6 seasons in little over a week! Kinda glad I watched it so close to the season 7 premiere as just waiting 3ish months was hard enough I have no clue how I'd manage to wait over a year had I watched S6 as it aired >_<

As for the first episode of S7 I really enjoyed it! I nearly quit watching the show after the Red Wedding. Right after the episode I went to my friend who got me to finally watch the show extremely upset complaining that the show was testing my sanity. "What's the payoff?" "What's the point of watching it if every "good" character that the show gets you attached to gets murdered?" "When will justice finally prevail against the evil characters?" of course that's probably my fault for applying my real life moral compass to a show/world as unforgiving as GoT but it caused me to actually stop watching for a week or so. Emotionally I was questioning if I could even handle the show anymore but I eventually came back and stuck with it and am glad I did since staring in S4, "justice" seemed to be finally getting served to "evil" characters. Long background aside it's what made the opening sequence of E1 so great to me as I finally got the "justice" I wanted for so long for the episode that nearly made me quit the show. I'm also glad for the Arya/random Lannister soldiers scene as even though the revenge Arya has carried out so far has been very satisfying to watch, I don't want to see her character to become a ruthless killer who believes everyone not on her side is evil and deserves death.

Hate Cersei and I hope/wish every episode for her to lose her head or something but I really grew into liking Jamie. Hated him for the first couple seasons as he came off as a selfish, "pretty boy" who only cared about himself but he has shown quite a lot of character development throughout the seasons and while still flawed he has shown to be far more like Tyrion then his father or Cersei. Really hope he makes it through the series alive but I'm not feeling optimistic with the shots of him riding on a horse into a battlefield that was shown in one of the S7 preview trailers. Sorry Tormund but Jamie x Brienne forever!

As for the Sam scenes, silly me decided to eat a chocolate ice cream bar as a treat and that montage happened to be the very first thing I saw as I took my first bite bleh I had to turn away the entire time as I have a naturally weak stomach for many things >_<

I really love Daenerys so I was so glad after SOOOO many episodes to finally see her be in a position of power and return to Dragonstone. She's far from a perfect character but I love her character simply for being a strong female main character on the show. Her early episodes with forced marriage, used for sex, etc... were a bit hard to watch but I've enjoyed seeing her rise to power having nothing to amassing a huge army and can't wait to see what happens this season now that she's finally arrived in Westeros.

As for my hopes for this season, while I doubt it'll happen in the show at all let alone this season, I really hope Jaime or someone can get some kind of revenge for Myrcella. There's been a lot of heartbreaking scenes in the show but the 2 most heartbreaking ones to me have been Myrcella and Shireen's deaths as they were both children and extremely innocent/sweet. Shireen's death has mostly been avenged as both Stannis/Selyse got what they deserved and Melisandre was exiled from the north with a death warrant should she ever return but there's been no real payback for what happened to Mycella. When I first saw Ellaria and her daughters I was happy to see more powerful women in the show and then like many others I grew to hate them for the many things they did in the "Dorne Plot" Since Ellaria/her daughters are now aligned with Danny I'm kinda hoping maybe Jamie will face Ellaria's/her daughters (Preferably Tyene for the most awful piece of dialogue in the show to date bleh) in battle and even if he doesn't kill Ellaria himself, he kills one of her daughters to make her know what it feels like to lose one in front of her. Doubtful to ever happen as it's a relatively unimportant thing and there are precious few episodes but I can dream at least!

Sorry for my wall of text >_<

Pagusas

Elden Member
This is my first season watching the show as it airs. Heard about the series for quite a few years but it wasn't until right before Easter of this year that I finally got persuaded to watch it and I fell in love and just binge watched all 6 seasons in little over a week! Kinda glad I watched it so close to the season 7 premiere as just waiting 3ish months was hard enough I have no clue how I'd manage to wait over a year had I watched S6 as it aired >_<

As for the first episode of S7 I really enjoyed it! I nearly quit watching the show after the Red Wedding. Right after the episode I went to my friend who got me to finally watch the show extremely upset complaining that the show was testing my sanity. "What's the payoff?" "What's the point of watching it if every "good" character that the show gets you attached to gets murdered?" "When will justice finally prevail against the evil characters?" of course that's probably my fault for applying my real life moral compass to a show/world as unforgiving as GoT but it caused me to actually stop watching for a week or so. Emotionally I was questioning if I could even handle the show anymore but I eventually came back and stuck with it and am glad I did since staring in S4, "justice" seemed to be finally getting served to "evil" characters. Long background aside it's what made the opening sequence of E1 so great to me as I finally got the "justice" I wanted for so long for the episode that nearly made me quit the show. I'm also glad for the Arya/random Lannister soldiers scene as even though the revenge Arya has carried out so far has been very satisfying to watch, I don't want to see her character to become a ruthless killer who believes everyone not on her side is evil and deserves death.

Hate Cersei and I hope/wish every episode for her to lose her head or something but I really grew into liking Jamie. Hated him for the first couple seasons as he came off as a selfish, "pretty boy" who only cared about himself but he has shown quite a lot of character development throughout the seasons and while still flawed he has shown to be far more like Tyrion then his father or Cersei. Really hope he makes it through the series alive but I'm not feeling optimistic with the shots of him riding on a horse into a battlefield that was shown in one of the S7 preview trailers. Sorry Tormund but Jamie x Brienne forever!

As for the Sam scenes, silly me decided to eat a chocolate ice cream bar as a treat and that montage happened to be the very first thing I saw as I took my first bite bleh I had to turn away the entire time as I have a naturally weak stomach for many things >_<

I really love Daenerys so I was so glad after SOOOO many episodes to finally see her be in a position of power and return to Dragonstone. She's far from a perfect character but I love her character simply for being a strong female main character on the show. Her early episodes with forced marriage, used for sex, etc... were a bit hard to watch but I've enjoyed seeing her rise to power having nothing to amassing a huge army and can't wait to see what happens this season now that she's finally arrived in Westeros.

As for my hopes for this season, while I doubt it'll happen in the show at all let alone this season, I really hope Jaime or someone can get some kind of revenge for Myrcella. There's been a lot of heartbreaking scenes in the show but the 2 most heartbreaking ones to me have been Myrcella and Shireen's deaths as they were both children and extremely innocent/sweet. Shireen's death has mostly been avenged as both Stannis/Selyse got what they deserved and Melisandre was exiled from the north with a death warrant should she ever return but there's been no real payback for what happened to Mycella. When I first saw Ellaria and her daughters I was happy to see more powerful women in the show and then like many others I grew to hate them for the many things they did in the "Dorne Plot" Since Ellaria/her daughters are now aligned with Danny I'm kinda hoping maybe Jamie will face Ellaria's/her daughters (Preferably Tyene for the most awful piece of dialogue in the show to date bleh) in battle and even if he doesn't kill Ellaria himself, he kills one of her daughters to make her know what it feels like to lose one in front of her. Doubtful to ever happen as it's a relatively unimportant thing and there are precious few episodes but I can dream at least!

What was your reaction to Jon getting murdered? Thats the one that makes me wonder how people felt who didnt have the super long break between season 5 and 6, where everyone was left wondering if he really was dead.

This is my first time watching the show as it airs, too. I binged seasons 1-6 on hbo go last year, like an episode a day. Overall agree with most of the stuff you said, but if there will be vengeance for Myrcella, I want Tyrion to have something to do with it. He's the one who sent her off to Dorne so not only should he feel a bit of guilt, but he should also feel disgust for knowing what Ellaria did to her.

What was your reaction to Jon getting murdered? Thats the one that makes me wonder how people felt who didnt have the super long break between season 5 and 6, where everyone was left wondering if he really was dead.

yoooo you know what pissed me off? last year on my lunch breaks I would watch episodes. the girl sitting next to me one day was like

"what are you doing?"
"i'm watching game of thrones."
"oh, did you get up to the part where jon snow died?" (with a big fuckin grin on her face)

i'm like "WTFFFFFF why would you say that? Jon Snow is my favorite character!"

and then the girl next to her says, "Jon Snow is everyone's favority character."

As if that makes it okay to spoil shit. gtfoutta here.

edit: sorry for double post

Timbuktu

I don't really expect Arya to be the one to kill Cersei. It doesn't really do anything for either character beyond what we got with Arya killing the Freys. I would rather see her reunite with Jon, which would probably show how much of the girl is still left in her, as it has with Sansa.

Every key interaction that I want to see revolves around Jon though. He is the moral centre of the show and it is how others react to him and what he asks of them that will probably determine where most of the main characters end up.

Actually glad you asked as that's something I'm still a bit upset about! I managed to avoid any spoilers what so ever from when I started watching until a couple episodes before the S5 finale, then for some STUPID reason I did the most taboo thing ever and googled Jon Snow, can't remember the reason as to why I think I was looking for clarification or something to a scene I had just watched and low and behold an old article with a title spoiling the finale of S5 and start of S6 relating to Jon, what I thing to have as my only spoiler huh? >_<

I wasn't able to have a genuine reaction to it sadly but if I had to guess after what I felt seeing Robb, Ed, Cat and many others who the show got you invested in die, after 5 seasons of buildup with Jon and it finally looking like he was getting somewhere I probably would have felt emotions similar to what I felt with the Red Wedding probably even worse because he's been on the show for so long and I was able to get even more attached to him.

This is my first time watching the show as it airs, too. I binged seasons 1-6 on hbo go last year, like an episode a day. Overall agree with most of the stuff you said, but if there will be vengeance for Marcella, I want Tyrion to have something to do with it. He's the one who sent her off to Dorne so not only should he feel a bit of guilt, but he should also feel disgust for knowing what Ellaria did to her.

Certainly wouldn't be opposed to Tyrion having something to do with it. I do wonder if Danny would react to hearing what Ellaria did similar to how Jon reacted to hearing what Melisandre did with Shireen. On one hand while Danny's character is a conqueror she doesn't like when innocents are hurt/killed and only wants to punish those she deems "evil" and has compassion for the innocent. On the other hand since Myrcella is a Lannister, more specifically Cersei's (Now Queen and Dannys now direct enemy) daughter I'm not expecting much sympathy to be shown should she ever hear what Ellaria did even if Tyrion persuades her to out of guilt. It's why I went to Jamie when I thought of who could get revenge should it ever happen as she died in his arms after telling him she always knew he was her father. That scene afterwards with Jamie confronting Cersei after Myrcella's death is probably the only time I ever felt bad for Cersei and sympathized with her.

Pagusas

Elden Member
yoooo you know what pissed me off? last year on my lunch breaks I would watch episodes. the girl sitting next to me one day was like

"what are you doing?"
"i'm watching game of thrones."
"oh, did you get up to the part where jon snow died?" (with a big fuckin grin on her face)

i'm like "WTFFFFFF why would you say that? Jon Snow is my favorite character!"

and then the girl next to her says, "Jon Snow is everyone's favority character."

As if that makes it okay to spoil shit. gtfoutta here.

edit: sorry for double post

Wow what an asshole. She knew exactly what she was doing.

JWiLL

Banned
So Cersei definitely deserves to die horribly...but hopefully not until we're near the series finale..

Lena Headey is just too good in this role and I'd hate to see her bow out of the series well before it's finished.

Seemed really silly the reaction on the wall to the arrival of Bran.
Most of the wildlings are already south of the wall... if those 2 persons arriving are alive, who cares if they're wildlings or really Bran?

Certainly wouldn't be opposed to Tyrion having something to do with it. I do wonder if Danny would react to hearing what Ellaria did similar to how Jon reacted to hearing what Melisandre did with Shireen. On one hand while Danny's character is a conqueror she doesn't like when innocents are hurt/killed and only wants to punish those she deems "evil" and has compassion for the innocent. On the other hand since Myrcella is a Lannister, more specifically Cersei's (Now Queen and Dannys now direct enemy) daughter I'm not expecting much sympathy to be shown should she ever hear what Ellaria did even if Tyrion persuades her to out of guilt. It's why I went to Jamie when I thought of who could get revenge should it ever happen as she died in his arms after telling him she always knew he was her father. That scene afterwards with Jamie confronting Cersei after Myrcella's death is probably the only time I ever felt bad for Cersei and sympathized with her.
I agree that Myrcella's death is the only time I sympathized with Cersei, and Cersei getting revenge on the Sandsnakes would be literally the only time I ever root for her lol but in regards to Dany caring, if Tyrion is present in the room when Elaria reveals her evil deed, he should not hold back his thoughts from both of them about how feels on what happened.

The bolded is a good point also, I'm not sure if Dany is as sympathetic as Jon for people who don't have much to do with her so it'll be interesting to see if she will take action.
Wow what an asshole. She knew exactly what she was doing.
When I got through the beginning of season 6 I saw that she was just (trying to) be sly, she was probably just thinking "oh, he might get mad that i just revealed the main character's death but just wait for him to see that his death is not final and it's all good"

no it's not all good. because his death, and his resurrection are still massive spoilers, as they are fucking VITAL parts to the story.

m23

When I got through the beginning of season 6 I saw that she was just (trying to) be sly, she was probably just thinking "oh, he might get mad that i just revealed the main character's death but just wait for him to see that his death is not final and it's all good"

no it's not all good. because his death, and his resurrection are still massive spoilers, as they are fucking VITAL parts to the story.

That's terrible. Thankfully I didn't get spoiled, that moment shook me. That was an experience on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom