• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Avowed is the same length as Outer Worlds (13- 40 hours)

simpatico

Gold Member
The scope was the star of Skyrim. This is disappointing. Really need the Bethesda itch scratched. It's been almost a decade, maybe time to give up.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So a 13-hour RPG after almost 7 years of development? Wow.

8xdiI0U.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned

8xdiI0U.jpeg

I don’t mind a long dev time for a shorter, fun game. Hell, Crow Country just released and that was in development for 5+ years and can be beaten in about 5 hours and repeated playthrough can take less than 20 min.

The issue with Outer Worlds and my biggest fear of Avowed: writing. Outer Worlds was horribly written with the most heavy handed slacktivist nonsense. Corpos bad, white men bad, diverse women good.

CherryFalls

Banned
You don’t have any clue what you’re talking about. MS want people to stay subscribing, they don’t care if you do it by playing a new game every hour or spend all your hours playing nothing but COD.

It's you I'm afraid who has no idea what they are talking about.
It's been well established now that a rotating library is essential to a subscription service, the xbox team understand this and subscriber behaviour reflect this.

xGhlqBT.jpeg

Dazraell

8xdiI0U.jpeg
It's closer to 6 years as the development apparently started in 2018, just after wrapping up Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. But to be fair, they were also working on Pillars of Eternity II dlcs, The Outer Worlds, The Outer Worlds dlcs, Grounded, Pentiment and are also working on The Outer Worlds 2 and all of this in a 200+ people studio. Not to mention that Avowed apparently gone through several revisions

I remember being impressed with The Outer Worlds for the first hour or two and then thinking it went downhill. Can’t recall what caused it to lose its enjoyment so quickly.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Outer Worlds kinda sucked.

Sorry, but when Chris Avallone (sp) left along with a few others, Obsidian was never the same again.

This is not the same writing core that wrote new vegas.

No shit New Vegas was 15 years ago, id be more surprised if anyone was still there.

Pentiment was written well so there is hope.

Last edited:

Hudo

Can't Josh Sawyer make a Pillars of Eternity 3? I mean, Baldur's Gate 3 has proven that there's a market for CRPGs out there... So I don't think he'll have a hard time getting PoE3 greenlit.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is due to gamepass, they need people to finish and move on.

This length will be mandatory for xbox games moving forwards

That would be fantastic then. An RPG that can be mainlined in 13~14 hours or up to 30 or more if the player engages in the side content doesn't sound too bad. Not every RPG can, or needs to be, 50+ hours.

Beating SMT Vengeance in 26~ hours was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
I don’t think you can wrap up Outer Worlds in 13 hrs playing normally.

With Obsidian, side quests and main quests intertwine. The more major side quests you do in Outer Worlds, the more factions come and help you in the end.

Fess

It's been well established now that a rotating library is essential to a subscription service, the xbox team understand this and subscriber behaviour reflect this.

xGhlqBT.jpeg
Nope they just want you to stay subscribing, they want to erase the ”I just get it for 1 cheap month and then I’m out” behaviour.

You think they would even consider having COD or Minecraft or Diablo or Starfield or any Bethesda RPG or Forza Horizon or Cities Skylines or MS Flight Sim etc on Gamepass if they thought it was a problem that people spent more than 13-40 hours playing the same game?

Those are known time sinkers made to just keep you playing and playing for 100s of hours.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
This is all fine and dandy until you remember that the game was unveiled 4 years ago and the Avowed development started 6 years ago. For a AA-title barebones aRPG with less than stellar production values. This is clearly internal reboot number 3 that we’re seeing and it’s very rarely ends well in this industry.

Gamepass or not, MS surely needs to fix its development pipeline.

Last edited:
I don't need every RPG to be a 100hrs grindfest. To me this news is a plus.
And around 30+hrs for everything isn't even that short.

Last edited:

Fess

Storytelling, character writing, villains, itemization, enemy variety, they all went to shit pretty quickly.
I enjoyed the story telling, character writing, conversations, data logs and general humour. But the combat was not exciting and the maps were too small without real exploration and side content.

I still liked the game for what it was but I finished it and never returned to it, I only saw one ending.
Compare this to Bethesda’s RPGs which I rarely finish but also rarely stop playing, there is so much to do and so much to see, I just get lost in the world and I really like that.
Don’t know if it’s different design philisophies or budget, maybe both.

DaGwaphics

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

A 25~ hour RPG is a-ok by me.

The fuck?

The article is directly comparing it with their last full priced retail RPG release.

Where on earth are you pulling out all that drivel from?

Absolutely. It's obviously the size of game that this studio feels comfortable with at the moment.

Man, I can’t believe people are still posting that nonsense about MS wanting to churn out short games because of GamePass. These people have never once checked the GamePass library.

Anyway, that play time is fine for me and I am one of the dozens who loved Outer Worlds.

Arrested Development Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

diffusionx

Gold Member
Absolutely. It's obviously the size of game that this studio feels comfortable with at the moment.
Pillars of Eternity was a ~35-100 hour game. I was expecting that because that was what they were talking about the game being. Not some casual shitter you can knock out in a rainy weekend.

Man, I can’t believe people are still posting that nonsense about MS wanting to churn out short games because of GamePass. These people have never once checked the GamePass library.
I think ultimately GP will be a lot of service games all for one fee. MS would rather you (stupidly) sub to GP and just play AOE2 every night. These short games don't do them any favors.

Last edited:

Raven117

No shit New Vegas was 15 years ago, id be more surprised if anyone was still there.

Pentiment was written well so there is hope.
True… maybe there is some hope.
Can't Josh Sawyer make a Pillars of Eternity 3? I mean, Baldur's Gate 3 has proven that there's a market for CRPGs out there... So I don't think he'll have a hard time getting PoE3 greenlit.
Is he still there?

amigastar

Yes please, i'm a big fan of Pillars of Eternity. But for now I'm happy there will be another game in the PoE Universe.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Pillars of Eternity was a ~35-100 hour game. I was expecting that because that was what they were talking about the game being. Not some casual shitter you can knock out in a rainy weekend

They said the game is based in the PoE universe, not that it's going to be a game like that.

I'm just laughing at the comments calling THIS a 'short' game. Who the fuck plays an RPG like this and just plays the main narrative without engaging in all the factions / side content?

You can probably rush through Skyrim's main narrative alone in 6~7 hours if you ignore everything else and just go from main objective to main objective too .. but who does that?

Last edited:

Arachnid

Sounds good. Less bloat in an RPG is always welcome. They don't all need to be 100 hours and very few people can pull off making those 100 hour games like Persona 5, Cyberpunk, Balders Gate, or Witcher engaging the whole time.

Obsidian needs to win me back after The Outer Worlds, and this time they have funding. This shit better be good.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Banned

8xdiI0U.jpeg
Literally impossible that this has been in development for 7 years, its being made on unreal engine 5, developers haven't even had the kits 4 years, also obsidian has released grounded and pentitment within that time as well as the outter worlds 2

Good enough. I can start Pillars of Eternity 2 after done with Avowed. Devs said one of the party member in Pillars 2 plays an important role in Avowed.

clarky

Gold Member
Literally impossible that this has been in development for 7 years, its being made on unreal engine 5, developers haven't even had the kits 4 years, also obsidian has released grounded and pentitment within that time as well as the outter worlds 2
Its not impossible. It started dev in early 2018 then was rebooted in 2020 when they did the announce trailer. So while this version has been in dev for around 4 years he is technically correct.

StueyDuck

It just needs to be better than the outer worlds, can be 20 hrs for all I care.

Just don't be bland and bang average like OW

coffinbirth

xGhlqBT.jpeg
200w.gif

You do realize only like 10-20% of gamers actually finish ANY game, of ANY length, on ANY service...right? And that Microsoft published games stay in Game Pass in perpetuity, right?

It doesn't take a month to beat a 60 hour game, and there's over 400 goddamned games on that service.

Where does your logic apply when they are directly comparing this game to The Outer Worlds...which was on all platforms, and not created under the Game Pass Shrink Ray you seem to assume exists?

Do you think they're telling Bethesda to make sure The Elder Scrolls VI is bite-sized fun?
Better not drop hundreds of more hours of content for your half dozen games you have going, we have a rotation to think about!

You seriously think this?

Do you realize that Microsoft wants you to play CoD, Or Fallout 76. or Sea of Thieves, or Minecraft or Skyrim or fucking Blast Corps. on Game Pass, every day until you die? Doesn't matter which one. Irrelevant as long as you're paying.
2524e853f7aff90712b4bb5902c8df4c.gif

Top Bottom