• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

draven said:
Jesus Christ, I have had it with multiplayer. To match up to a team after 10 minutes, only to end up in a team of two against five, or a full team with a person eventually dropping out, or a completely unbalanced team rankwise, has left me disgusted.

As an avid GoW 1 multiplayer fan, I am just sick of the piss-poor job done by Epic. It seems as if Horde mode is the only consistent online experience, but since I am at 1 chevron due to waiting 10 minutes between matches, I constantly get teamed up with mouthbreathers to whom I have to explain the function of the shield and the basics of ammo collection between waves.

I give up on competitive multiplayer, and am just amazed at how a love for the original iteration can be completely turned to disgust with a sequel.

Hear hear.

cresto

DubloSeven said:
Maybe that's why I'm not ranking up - I've had to quit so much from all the laggy games.
quitting will definitely hurt your over all score. i dont really understand how it works but i think the majority of your rank is tied to wins to losses

Brakara

DubloSeven said:
Maybe that's why I'm not ranking up - I've had to quit so much from all the laggy games.

Quitting will not only hurt your rank, but you're then also more likely to be teamed up with other quitters.

Petrie

Banned
Anyone looking to play a bit at the moment? A friend and I are a bit tired of the randoms. Add my GT: PetriesLastWord if you're interested, and we can play anything ranked really.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
You know, it really bothers me that there's never been a UT-esque 'Assault' multiplayer game type in Gears.

That would be so wonderful. I'm disappointed. I really don't like any of the MP game types on offer. They're quite lame.

So...using proper spoiler tags, can someone tell me what's up with the final boss?

Is the fight supposed to last about 10 seconds
or uh ... what just happened?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
played my first ever game of wingman.

partner quit before the game started and I've only just started getting into the vs people aspect of online. :lol

AllGamer

The Lamonster said:
So...using proper spoiler tags, can someone tell me what's up with the final boss?

Is the fight supposed to last about 10 seconds
or uh ... what just happened?

The final boss is a joke, more like an interactive cutscene -.-

whitehawk said:
HOLY SHIT. Just read the thread, he put a shit load of effort into that.

CliffyB, hire this man!!

Either hire the guy or pay him a consulting fee. I have to say that his suggestion was not only well thought out, but the presentation was up to snuff. You guy need table a discussion with this guy ASAP!!

Then the pressure for GoW3 will be huge, rise to the challenge Epic! ;)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Apharmd Battler said:
Either hire the guy or pay him a consulting fee. I have to say that his suggestion was not only well thought out, but the presentation was up to snuff. You guy need table a discussion with this guy ASAP!!

The only company I could ever see considering that user's suggestions is Bungie, not Epic.

Epic is hell bent on having the infrastructure, gameplay mechanics, netcode and matchmaking process be their way (or Unreal's way for online gaming; which is crap unless there are dedicated servers). Did you know UT3 on 360 has dedicated servers yet no one plays it? :lol

But, of course, with the way Gears 2's online is right now, I would love, LOVE, to be proven wrong.

Submission also has to be fixed. It's takes way too long. If you could maybe speed up how fast the captor walks?
I dunno, but I find it very tedious.

cresto

DubloSeven said:
Submission also has to be fixed. It's takes way too long. If you could maybe speed up how fast the captor walks?
The slow speed coupled with the fact that nades knock him out of your arms is pretty awful. Anytime I play the gametype that happens and then I end up getting killed by the stupid ass AI player since I get knocked down and he gets up quicker

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Apharmd Battler said:

Bit much tbh. His ideas were all sound I suppose, but nothing spectacular, and a lot of them I flat out don't like the idea of on a fundamental level.

He was talking about percentages and element of chance, I dont know how gears works at the moment but it certainly doesn't feel like this rpg-ish roll of the dice occurs with every action.

Gears should not head towards rpg/dice land, it needs to veer towards beat em up/advance wars territory - much like the first one was. rock paper scissors expanded and tweaked to the nth degree, thats anti dice really. x WILL beat y, its whether you have the skill, knowledge and reflexes to pull them off, and the ability to get to the right positions in order to do some damage.

Played a game before, couldn't even pick up weapons properly, so appaling. Shot a torque bow right on target, nothing, next thing you know my guy is reloading and firing another torque without me pressing anything, and my ammo stays the same, no explosion or anything. Lame.

can't even get a game going with friends.

Frester

DubloSeven said:

Not to mention half the time smokes glitch the flag NPC into the air where no one can touch him.

whitehawk

Banned
DubloSeven said:
Hahah, I've never seen that before.
Ya, one time my friend was under the bridge on river and got hit by a smoke. He then glitched and landed on TOP of the bridge, where he was of course slaughtered.

At times it has saved me though. One time I was hit by a smoke. I was sure to be chainsawed, but the smokes made me fly up and back like 20 feet and I was safe :lol

Frester

whitehawk said:
Ya, one time my friend was under the bridge on river and got hit by a smoke. He then glitched and landed on TOP of the bridge, where he was of course slaughtered.

At times it has saved me though. One time I was hit by a smoke. I was sure to be chainsawed, but the smokes made me fly up and back like 20 feet and I was safe :lol

That's happened to me too, but what I was talking about was having the meatflag glitch on top of the Torque/sniper houses :\

I recently completed Gears 2 and enjoyed it. But I had never played the first, so I went out and bought it. After finishing the first act, I really don't like this game. The difficulty is way higher than the second which I finished on normal. And aiming is harder.

Hootie

OMG...I finally finished the campaign on Insane (coop, of course).

The last act was a freaking joke compared to Act IV.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'm listening to Major's latest podcast and he's chatting with Geoff from GTTV and they're discussing the Gears 2 news that will be announced/shown off at the SpikeTV awards.

Something tells me we're not getting maps for DLC and we're getting something bigger.

Much bigger.

He said it's a "MAJOR Gears 2 announcement; we can't tell anyone about it yet. It's going to blow your socks off." He also said that Cliff, Rod Fergusson and other Epic guys will be on stage to talk about it after it's announced. Geoff and Major were really tight lipped about what would be shown, but the hints Geoff gave was, and I quote, "two of the special guests helping us announce the news is a Sports Illustrated issue cover girl and a famous Victoria's Secret model."

Hype +100?

Scarecrow

I hate how much I suck at wingman. I always feel i'm letting my teammate down.

Domino Theory said:
I'm listening to Major's latest podcast and he's chatting with Geoff from GTTV and they're discussing the Gears 2 news that will be announced/shown off at the SpikeTV awards.

Something tells me we're not getting maps for DLC and we're getting something bigger.

Much bigger.

He said it's a "MAJOR Gears 2 announcement; we can't tell anyone about it yet. It's going to blow your socks off." He also said that Cliff, Rod Fergusson and other Epic guys will be on stage to talk about it after it's announced. Geoff and Major were really tight lipped about what would be shown, but the hints Geoff gave was, and I quote, "two of the special guests helping us announce the news is a Sports Illustrated issue cover girl and a famous Victoria's Secret model."

Hype +100?
SOunds neat... and expensive. When's this supposed to take place?

rjcc

Scarecrow said:
I hate how much I suck at wingman. I always feel i'm letting my teammate down.

SOunds neat... and expensive. When's this supposed to take place?

probably a new tournament or something

jdub03

"Most of his gameplay is going to center on getting close to you and thwacking you with a melee.Douse his fire in water. Super soak dat oh! Play a ranged game."

:lol

PSGames

ThirdEngine said:

Luke smith's response is hilarious:

Know Your Foe:

In a one-on -one scenario with Soulja Boy, you’re dealing with a guy who barely pushes a 1.0 kp/d (kills per death) at level 14. Contrary to his self-professed cranking, Soulja Boy ain’t no Robocop. His primary tools of destruction are melee and AR (like a lot of Halo 3 players). Most of his gameplay is going to center on getting close to you and thwacking you with a melee.

Douse his fire in water. Super soak dat oh! Play a ranged game. Learn where the scoped weapons are and find the right place to set up a perch. Remember to crouch-walk if you want to stay off of his radar. When possible, pair your Battle Rifle with a close-quarters weapon. Grenades don’t always have to be offensive, you can throw grenades in places you’ve been or places you don’t want him to get to. Soulja Boy is probably going to chase you a lot. You should go all Ice Tea on that azz.

Know the Rules:

Frankie [O'Connor, former Bungie content manager] and I used to play a ton of 1v1 back before “Halo 3″ shipped, and while it wasn’t much of a competitive match – his hands are old and his reflexes are slow – we did do a few things to a map like Guardian to even out the balance of power (i.e. give him a small chance at staying competitive) for 1v1. At his behest we turned off things like Overshield and Active Camo, which work great in team environments, but you may not want them on for this grudge match. If Soulja Boy wants the power-ups on, regardless of what map you pick (I’d suggest Cold Storage) you have to control them.

You should set the maps in advance so that you both have ample time to learn what weapons spawn where. Learning the flow between different rooms and what weapons or grenades to use (when they are available) and then where to take those weapons is going to make or break you.

Get Inside His Head:

One on one against Soulja Boy? If you can handle it, you should just play his own music really loud into the headset during your match. He’ll either get distracted by hearing his voice inside his head or you can cling to the thin hope that he’ll start dancing and rapping along, distracting him from his much more important task at hand.

If all else fails, you should go Gilbert Arenas style and get an MLG Pro to play him for you.

We believe in you Stephen.

Domino Theory said:

Much bigger.

Hype +100?
They're going to make the game playable?

SHOCK

HORROR

FrankT

Domino Theory said:

Much bigger.

Hype +100?

Nice, man I'm still really brainstorming on what those two other trailer reveals will be. Does he always play Crackdown music at the start. :p

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I'm trying to get that execution achievement, but I can't seem to perform any executions outside of the punching-in-the-face one and the kick-off-the-head one, even when I'm using the sniper rifle, for instance.

Help?

dirtmonkey37 said:
I'm trying to get that execution achievement, but I can't seem to perform any executions outside of the punching-in-the-face one and the kick-off-the-head one, even when I'm using the sniper rifle, for instance.

Help?
Use buttons other than X and Y.

Stantron said:
Meatsnap - A, then X
Curbstomp - Any weapon + X

Rude Awakening - Lancer + B
Shotgun Golf - Shotgun + B
Sniper Head Thunk - Sniper Rifle + B
Torque Nudge - Torque Bow + B

Triple Punch C-C-Combo - Any non-execution weapon (shotgun) + Y
Snixecution - Sniper Rifle + Y
Torquapitation - Torque Bow + Y
Pistolwhip Deluxe - Boltok Pistol + Y
Boomshield Headache - Boomshield + Y

Morph-0

Epic better hurry and release that balancing/game play enhancement patch/pack I would like to start playing Gears 2 online again.

A word of advice for the Gears 2 team - next time do a public beta well before the game is released all of the shit that people are complaining about now wouldn't have needed fixing had there been a public beta with proper feedback forum.

Zezboob

Did Epic make some changes ??

I played all the afternoon, only match with good connections.... but what really makes me say it, it's now the Locust don't always spawn with the frag grenades on Hail anymore.

Edit : forget about the no lag part, I guess that american players started to play now :D
Edit 2 : forget about the frag grenades on Hail too, maybe it only does that on Leader...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Scratch the hyperbole I posted in the last page. The news is just some Maps for DLC (completely from left field, amirite?) that's going up tonight at 12am PST/3am EST.

I'm ashamed of myself for falling into Geoff's garbage hype.

"We want more of your money before we fix the game, kthx."

Top Bottom