• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

I bet the person who screwed this up is getting a lot of flak right now...

I'm sorry. Welp, gonna go play some All Fronts. Later losers!

...I'm sorry again. I'm just glad I got there just in time for one of these kind of screw-ups. I had just finished playing some horde last night with a party and we were looking for an arcade game to play so I was browsing the marketplace for stuff that just came out. I think I did a triple take.

Proc

Llyranor said:
If I buy the retail version, I'll still need to download it/save it to my HDD, won't I? I'm just trying to save valuable space!

doesn't look like there will be a retail version...

better start bargain hunting on points cards if you want it on the cheap

Mamesj

Banned
yeah, so the stealth section is lame. Basically Gears without the shooting. On the other hand, it's so simple that it isn't a headache, which is better than expected. but it's literally "walk through a gears level while the locust just hang around and don't try to kill you."

On the other hand, the level is large and has tons of fun cover spots, so it's pretty cool for a "guns blazin'" run through.

mattso

Mamesj said:
yeah, so the stealth section is lame. Basically Gears without the shooting. On the other hand, it's so simple that it isn't a headache, which is better than expected. but it's literally "walk through a gears level while the locust just hang around and don't try to kill you."

On the other hand, the level is large and has tons of fun cover spots, so it's pretty cool for a "guns blazin'" run through.
the stealth seemed to me like such a ridiculous thing for gears that I didn't really think it was going to be all that great.

mr stroke

Proc said:
doesn't look like there will be a retail version...

better start bargain hunting on points cards if you want it on the cheap

:(

why not release it retail Epic? it could only mean more sales..

good thing Target is has a sale on XBLA points this weekend I guess.

whitehawk

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Dark Corners Map Pack -- 1200MS ($15)

The "Road to Ruin" deleted campaign chapter

7 New Multiplayer Maps:
-- Allfathers Garden
-- Highway
-- Memorial
-- Nowhere
-- Sanctuary
-- War Machine
-- Way Station

--------------------------

All Fronts Map Pack -- 1600MS ($20)

The Dark Corners Map Pack

The Flashback Map Pack
-- Canals
-- Gridlock
-- Mansion
-- Subway
-- Tyro Station

The Combustible Map Pack
-- Flood
-- Fuel Station
-- Gold Rush

The Snowblind Map Pack
-- Courtyard
-- Fuel Depot
-- Grindyard
-- Underhill
Too bad I missed the leak. Well I guess I might as well go for the All Front map pack, seeing as I don't have The combustible pack yet. I'd be getting it for $5, and then I can do 'wingman on map packs' and 'horde on map packs'.

JB1981

played annex last night and the connection wasn't that bad. don't know if it has anything to do with TU4 but it was one of the smoother games of annex i've played. i think i am going to start playing annex exclusively because i can shrug off a cheap death much easier.

Ramirez

JB1981 said:
played annex last night and the connection wasn't that bad. don't know if it has anything to do with TU4 but it was one of the smoother games of annex i've played. i think i am going to start playing annex exclusively because i can shrug off a cheap death much easier.

Yea, Annex is about the only thing I can handle with Gears, and even then it's sometimes unbearable.

honeycut1

Neo Member
MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, after what happened, I would love for Epic/MS to allow for a quick 24 hour period to purchase the All Fronts Pack for only 800 MS Points type of deal. A 'thank you' to the most crazy hardcore Gears of War 2 players. After all, those are the players who will bitch to no end about having been shut out of taking advantage of the early release to begin with.

I was thinking this would be a nice thing for Epic to do as well for the people who didn't download the DLC early. It won't happen, Epic will probably not mention it on G4 or during the Major Nelson interview. The people on the forums will keep complaining and then download the DLC they say ruined their life.

Teknoman

I think i'll get the All Front map pack...though i've already got the flashback pack from that early promo. Should just overwrite the maps i've already got right?

I think it's hilarious they're releasing 10+ new maps, when their stupid freakin' matchmaking still doesn't work properly!

At least down here in NZ i'd wait for 10mins plus to find a game, with a shitty ping... Awesome!

Now, before you say, tough luck you're at the ass end of the world, I play Halo 3 with greenbars vs the states, BF1943 no discernable lag etc etc so it's blatantly not my location that's the issue.

I know the Unreal engine has shitty netcode (always has, always will) but that's no excuse for MATCHMAKING being worthless.

Honestly, the only way I can play this game online is if I pre-arrange a meet up with people.

Which is super weird anyway because Gears 1 was fine!

so yeah - in short, who is actually going to spend money on the Multiplayer portion of this game? Do you guys in the states have better luck with MM?

I played a few rounds of gears earlier tonight and it does feel improved a bit, very first game for over like 2 months and it made me host lol. I just wish it would stop giving me American host as I am from the uk, 1 second shotgun is rather rubbish k.

Well it's all relative.

If you've got a decent ping to the server, Unreal engine is ok.

But as soon as you are more than 150 - 200 ms away things hit the dirt hard.

Halo and Call of Duty (which uses baseline Quake Netcode) work fine with those sorts of delays...

That's not to say Unreal can't provide a solid game, but doesn't seem to handle latency as well as other engine can.

but that still doesn't answer my Q regarding how long it takes to FIND a game (performance within the game aside) :D

So how long does it take you to find a game when searching online??

I been playing this quite a lot today, annex and that mode where your team leader alove = respawn, I find I can put up with the laggy guns if I am in a respawn game, so i'm having fun with this title again long as I stay out of the other online modes apart from horde.

Seriously though, this game has so many bullshit moments, I get head popped by a shottie from a good 10 meters away yet I can't down someone up close with a perfect hit, lol bull.

PS. I also own none of the dlc as it's price is way too high, when the big pack comes along I will think about it but the default maps to me are great.

rnwd

Banned
Diablohead said:
PS. I also own none of the dlc as it's price is way too high, when the big pack comes along I will think about it but the default maps to me are great.
The real reason not to buy DLC for this game isn't price.

Just when you think things are going smoothly, nah this game is not for me. Host shotgun has to go for the 3rd one, in fact any type of host advantage should not exsist in today's world of tech.

No way I am buying the dlc now, I had enough of this mega bullshit even in respawning games. Last night must have been pure luck to find a few playable games, that or I was just getting paired up with stoners late at night. There is just way way way too many moments of annoyence because of the way lag is handled.

Cliffy, sell your lambo and hire some real network coders, or pay for some dedicated servers, anything.

zsswimmer

God those advantage on this game is ridiculous :lol , had a game last night where the opposite team went like this:

Host - 20 kills
Player 2- 2 kills
Player 3 - 1 kill
Player 4 - 1 kill
Player 5 - 0 kills

It seemed like no matter how many times we shot the guy he just cut through us like butter.

Tomcat

zsswimmer said:
God those advantage on this game is ridiculous :lol , had a game last night where the opposite team went like this:

Host - 20 kills
Player 2- 2 kills
Player 3 - 1 kill
Player 4 - 1 kill
Player 5 - 0 kills

It seemed like no matter how many times we shot the guy he just cut through us like butter.

If the host is a good player he is a god in this game

Asmodai

Banned
I bought Gears 2 near the release date, but me and my friends haven't actually been able to get a multiplayer game going that wasn't horrendously laggy and the like.

Have the new patches fixed that yet? I tried a month or so back and it wasn't any better.

I have been dying to post this thing over here for the past week, I just got approved today.

Sometime last wednesday i was playing Gears 2, i was rank 37. Couple of my buddies invited me to play COD4 and i did. I got back on to Gears 2 later and i started playing online when i realized that i was back at level 1. I got on to the main menu and everything i earned pretty much is gone, like all the collectibles and the entire war journal reset. I still have the achievements for it all but the in game stuff, its all gone.

My campaign saves are still there but when i click them it only lets me play from the beginning again, like i just started the game. I was on Act IV on insane and it reset too. Now i will have to play the game on some other difficulty again to unlock insane.

I got really pissed and searched for it online thinking this would be a rare issue but when i was searching for more information, i found a thread on the official Gears 2 forums, that there are a lot more people who had their ranks reset. My game was all updated too, including the recent update we had over the long weekend, my gamertag is on auto sign in, no one else uses my 360 either.

It really sucks because there are a whole bunch of achievements and unlockables you get when you get to certain rank and complete certain maps at certain rank, especially for the new content that is coming out soon, which i was really looking forward to.

Anyone else had these issues? Here is the link for the thread in the official Gears 2 forums.
http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=672955

goldenpp72

IMG_0790.jpg

:(

and my cat playing gears of war

IMG_0789.jpg

So the last couple of nights i've been trying to get into this game.

Horde mode works ok most of the time, but it does take around 10 mins on average to find a team.

1 laggy game out of around 5 or so.

The other multiplayer modes? Nigh-on unplayable using 'matchmaking' (or 'timewasting' as I like to call it), but if you have a bunch of people within your local area who are able to play, the lag is fine.

Matchmaking in this game just plain sucks, I guess?

Kusagari

The matchmaking in this game seems to be getting worse. I spent 5 minutes searching with my 3 friends for a match in pretty much each mode and we finally got lucky and got a match in flashback maps after like 3 mins. This is the 4th most played game on XBL, you cannot tell me there's nobody online when you can find matches instantly in Halo, L4D, CoD, BF, etc. It's just Epic's shitty matchmaking.

mattso

AkuMifune said:
You stole what wasn't yours! :lol

Lol, people.
as opposed to the stuff he steals he already owned.

I tried wingman for the first time the other night. I've played quite a bit of multiplayer so I dunno why I never bothered but now I know why I won't again soon. Instead of 5 shotguns coming for you there are 8.

I still can't get over how prevalent the shotgun is in this game.

Maximus.

ok so i play GEARS 2 on and off, usually play horde mode with some friends wenever they come over and i noticed recently that sprinting has become super slow?? wtf is this shit??? oh and btw i gotta just throw it out there i love the gears series :)...too bad the online was so fucked wen it was released :(

i stopped playing gears to finally have issues fixed in gears 2. stopped playing gears 2 because it was even worse. now i just lurk here whenever it's bumped, hoping one day everyone raves that an update fixed everything. until then i shed tears at my dusty gears 2 CE box.

sweetvar26 said:
I have been dying to post this thing over here for the past week, I just got approved today.

Sometime last wednesday i was playing Gears 2, i was rank 37. Couple of my buddies invited me to play COD4 and i did. I got back on to Gears 2 later and i started playing online when i realized that i was back at level 1. I got on to the main menu and everything i earned pretty much is gone, like all the collectibles and the entire war journal reset. I still have the achievements for it all but the in game stuff, its all gone.

My campaign saves are still there but when i click them it only lets me play from the beginning again, like i just started the game. I was on Act IV on insane and it reset too. Now i will have to play the game on some other difficulty again to unlock insane.

I got really pissed and searched for it online thinking this would be a rare issue but when i was searching for more information, i found a thread on the official Gears 2 forums, that there are a lot more people who had their ranks reset. My game was all updated too, including the recent update we had over the long weekend, my gamertag is on auto sign in, no one else uses my 360 either.

It really sucks because there are a whole bunch of achievements and unlockables you get when you get to certain rank and complete certain maps at certain rank, especially for the new content that is coming out soon, which i was really looking forward to.

Anyone else had these issues? Here is the link for the thread in the official Gears 2 forums.
http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=672955

Repost: anybody else had these issues?

mattso

man, I was 26 levels into horde with a good team and then it got super laggy and I lost connection to the host

grrrr

almost 4000 experience down the drain and yet another "failed" attempt to beat horde mode

Top Bottom