• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

orion434

mernst23 said:
How'd everybody do with ranking up this week?

Went from a 44 last Wednesday to a 51 currently.

Also have 78/79 achievements now, that rank 100 one is going to the bottom of the list though. It's unbelievable that at rank 51 I only have 10% of the progress needed for an 100. I only plan on grinding out exp in security on double xp weekends until I get to a level I can taste that 100, but otherwise, I don't know if I can commit 620 more hours (single xp, figuring 10k an hour on security) to get that achievement.

Do everything in time and you'll get those Achievements... maybe in 3 years you'll have it. I play Rumble Roses XX 15 - 20 mins a day in hopes of getting that 1000/1000 and I even use the 17 second Tag-match knock-out to get 6120 credits every 2 mins.

I just made lv 11 this weekend playing Horde... it's gonna be a long road.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Tomcat said:
For gears 3 i hope for:

Faster and more reliable shotgun
Gears 1 character movement
Remove the ability to plant frags
Less power weapons on the maps
Less host advantage (dream on lol)
Player matches
Region filtering
bring back the melee stun
The melee should do much less damage than it does now with the shotgun
Ping meter

This

Basically:

Make it Gears 1 with netcode improvements+lots o' good maps. :\

I can't stand the movement in Gears 2, feels so muddy. The shotgun fucking blows. :(

goldenpp72

what I want for gears 3

Less power weapons
Redone grenades
Balance certain maps for certain gametypes (no inks and super explosives in king of the hill would be fun)
For matchmaking, allow me to simply put in 2 generic filters, say, I want to play war machine on warzone, let me try to find anyone else who does, and if I can't, let me host a room that does and wait for people to join! FUCK
Hire rare to do your netcode
4 player co op
For horde, allow me to create a game and map, and put down what my goal is (10 waves, 50) and then allow people to find it in a list and join it.

you know, common sense.

cresto

I played a bit of gears 1 on sunday and i have to say i like the movements in gears 2 better. It may be that I am just used to it, but I think it's more refined and tighter. I like the shotgun from gears 1 hands down. Jumping over cover is strange in gears 1 after so much gears 2. It seems like you float over cover and it takes a lot of time.

I really wish they would give up on the "true skill" system and just let me choose host -_-

cresto

AndyMoogle said:
ROFL! I love the calculator. This is what I will need to do. LOL

Level 49 to 100 requires 6,241,850 experience!
This much experience could be gained by:

Killing 41,613 people in Warzone, or...
Killing 43,803 people in Execution, or...
Killing 38,177 people in Wingman, or...
Scoring 7,520,302 points in Guardian, or...
Scoring 27,138,479 points in Annex, or...
Scoring 13,280,532 points in Submission.

Horde (TU4)
Completing 62,419 waves on Casual, or...
Completing 41,613 waves on Normal, or...
Completing 31,210 waves on Hardcore, or...
Completing 24,968 waves on Insane.

Have fun!

On an average of 60,000 points a week, it will take me over 2 years to get to level 100. WOW EPIC.

Half the time when I jump cover in gears 2 I take a second leap in the air and glitch, doesn't help when you are being rushed by the other team or something. Also have they fixed the journal missing pages? sucks only seeing 7 pages instead of 30+ for achievement progress.

As for co-op in 3, I think 2 player is all you need, anything more then that seems too much like a lame extra, hard to explain but I dislike 4p co-op in halo 3 just because the extra people are random elites which have no story presence.

I played the missing chapter again this evening, twice, to get the guns and stealth achievements. First time I played it I was in co-op but playing it solo I had time to take in the beauty of the missing chapter, I like it a lot just a shame it's not longer and was never included into the retail package.

Black_Ice said:
This

Basically:

Make it Gears 1 with netcode improvements+lots o' good maps. :\

I can't stand the movement in Gears 2, feels so muddy. The shotgun fucking blows. :(

Agreed. I would go as far as to say the less power weapon whoring the better also. Remove shitty weapons like the Mortar and chain gun (leave those for horde) and even limit power weapon ammo (2 less torque shots, 1 less boom shot, etc). The game is much better when people are making the subtle and intelligent movements to flank/draw attention/rush and get kills with default weapons/thrown frags. 2 power weapons to a map and that's it.

Unfortunately though the chances of any of this happening = zero. Cliffy already said it: "Bigger, better, and more badass". Expect all kinds of bullshit in Gears 3. Secondary gunshot on Torque bow that creates a damn trip wire on the ground or something.

mernst23

ergo said:
ROFL! I love the calculator. This is what I will need to do. LOL

On an average of 60,000 points a week, it will take me over 2 years to get to level 100. WOW EPIC.

Security XP Boosting ~ 20k/hr during double XP, 5 hours a day (conservative) for 3 days (Xp weekend)

300k per xp weekend
6,825,000/300,000 = 23 double xp weekends of 15 hours of xp boosting per weekend

Not impossible, just really boring and time consuming.

mernst23

ergo said:
what is a security xp boosting?

Difficulty: Insane
Players: The more the better
Map: Security
Location: Middle of map, stick together, no power weapons needed
Strategy:
Wave 1: Kill 10-11 enemies
Wave 2: Team jumps into lasers
Host restarts at Wave 1.

250/500 xp every 90 seconds.

cresto

mernst23 said:
Difficulty: Insane
Players: The more the better
Map: Security
Location: Middle of map, stick together, no power weapons needed
Strategy:
Wave 1: Kill 10-11 enemies
Wave 2: Jump into lasers
Host restarts at Wave 1.

250/500 xp every 90 seconds.
Meh, i don't care enough to do this sort of thing. i would rather just play and if it comes, it comes. achievements are cool, especially when you get them without knowing. I hate how people seem to "farm" for a useless statistic or whatever you want to call them.

mernst23

ergo said:
Meh, i don't care enough to do this sort of thing. i would rather just play and if it comes, it comes. achievements are cool, especially when you get them without knowing. I hate how people seem to "farm" for a useless statistic or whatever you want to call them.

Well, out of my 625k (level 51), I only used this system for about 30-35k of my exp. Granted, now that I only have the rank 100 achievement left, I'm giving it consideration (at least during double xp weekends)

goldenpp72

Anyone in here want to party up in attempts to get the annex achievement from the dlc? Basically just make sure we vote annex doing flashback maps and such.

NaviLink

This has probably been asked to death, so please excuse me for asking it again.
So, I've got plenty of photos I'd like to share online. But posting them through the game to the official site is really long. Is there a way to copy directly the files fromm the HDD to, let's say, a USB stick ?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Dark FaZe said:
Agreed. I would go as far as to say the less power weapon whoring the better also. Remove shitty weapons like the Mortar and chain gun (leave those for horde) and even limit power weapon ammo (2 less torque shots, 1 less boom shot, etc). The game is much better when people are making the subtle and intelligent movements to flank/draw attention/rush and get kills with default weapons/thrown frags. 2 power weapons to a map and that's it.

Unfortunately though the chances of any of this happening = zero. Cliffy already said it: "Bigger, better, and more badass". Expect all kinds of bullshit in Gears 3. Secondary gunshot on Torque bow that creates a damn trip wire on the ground or something.

Yeah, I agree with this. Fuck the mortar and that other PoS gattling gun shit. Those weapons don't bring anything to the game. The boom shot is the big daddy power weapon.

Also, make it 4v4 again, unfortunately you're right about it not getting more like this in Gears 3 (AKA better). Gears is perfect at the "intimate" level, but eh.

Tomcat said:
For gears 3 i hope for:

Player matches
Region filtering
Ping meter

More like, DEDICATED SERVERS, please. Else, I really don't see the point of paying for Xbox Live's peer-to-peer service, it really makes no sense. With the Live subscription cash they're consuming from us PLUS the DLC cash, why the hell not?

goldenpp72

Epic really needs to make double xp a standard or halfen the amount of exp needed, something like 3 or 4 million is reasonable enough to get from now till another big release (like halo reach or something) but seriously, 7 million? FUCK

BloodySinner said:
More like, DEDICATED SERVERS, please. Else, I really don't see the point of paying for Xbox Live's peer-to-peer service, it really makes no sense. With the Live subscription cash they're consuming from us PLUS the DLC cash, why the hell not?

Valve can do it, but apparently no one else is as rich as them, because the Epics and Bungies always scream about how it would cost too much.

Brakara

AnEternalEnigma said:
Valve can do it, but apparently no one else is as rich as them, because the Epics and Bungies always scream about how it would cost too much.

EA do it as well. Hell, didn't even Unreal Tournament 3 have official dedicated servers? In this case, I think the blame should be put towards Microsoft (who didn't even bother with dedicated servers for Shadowrun).

Arnie

Tomcat said:
For gears 3 i hope for:

Player matches
Region filtering
Ping meter
YES

Oh and I want my Gears of War 1 game search engine back. The ability to search for games and have a list of 'servers' to join in is much, MUCH better than the matchmaking bullshit in Gears 2. It takes forever to find users and play a damn game. /Rant

cresto

Now that I've been playing in full parties, this game is actually a lot more enjoyable. Playing a game by yourself is so god damn boring I want to pull my hair out. I really wish they could disable the new party system for MP games like gears.

I find it annoying that everyone just hides in there party. I enjoy shootin' the shit with random doods on teh web and think parties just make people more reclusive - more so than the fact that they are sitting by themselves playing a damn video game. JEEEZE

I partied up with the #1 ranked guy on execution and he wasn't a super nerd like i was expecting. Pretty chill guy actually - i mean for having over 9 million points and a dedicated life of gears, that is.

Strider2K99 said:
I bought some Allards and I'm thinking of getting All Fronts. Would anyone be down for Horde?

Depends, have you gone wave 1-50 on normal or hardcore and posted a top 50 score?

Or are you just talking about getting the achievements..then I'm not interested.

J2d

I just spent a night with some friends playing Gears, if lag wasnt such a big issue then I would say its gotf. It's just so fucking good, I don't know were epic went wrong with pt2 but all I know is that I wont be there day one for Gears3 unless they hire some competent folks. Its good to see I'm not alone though since the community still seems really healthy.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
smik said:
whoever is still playing this online have you shit cake and eat it, i just cant believe the amount of glitches,lag and bullshit that this game comes up with

"Shooting through walls"

(similar to the infamous melee through wall vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYhuNSnXUXg

fuck you epic! you butchered your franchise imo

Embrace the light my child, do not fight it. It's much easier that way!

JimiNutz

Banned
I just played my first online MP game of Gears in over 3 months.
Wow cant believe how different it is :lol

Took me about 2 mins to get in a game.
Nobody quit, teams seemed balanced.
I didn't spend half the game rolling around on my ass.
Lag was barely noticeable.

Please tell me it's now like this all the time?
I may buy the maps and start playing again if so.

Diablohead said:
I also completed all of the game in co-op but never got the achievement, I must have missed one little area and I have no idea where.

Train the rook, maybe?

--

So I throw in Gears 2 and I'm playing some horde on the dark corners maps and my girl says "how does the camera work, how do you aim?". Normally, she doesn't dig shooters, because the FPS stuff makes her dizzy and she can't deal with it. So she says, "I think I can handle third person shooters, can I try?".

Long story short, I set up some skirmishes with the two of us and 1 bot as an opponent, she's learned most of the controls, and now she's been asking to play horde with me and my friends on a regular basis. :lol

Llyranor

I still absolutely love Horde mode. Play it semi-regularly with buddies, and the recent map pack just meant a crapload of new extra content for us. We can't get to wave 50 on insane, so 'getting bored of it' is a non-issue. Heck, I'm not sure we even ever made it past wave 20 (or maybe once).

We don't even touch PvP.

-PXG-

smik said:
whoever is still playing this online have you shit cake and eat it, i just cant believe the amount of glitches,lag and bullshit that this game comes up with

"Shooting through walls"

(similar to the infamous melee through wall vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYhuNSnXUXg

fuck you epic! you butchered your franchise imo

Wow. Thank goodness no one has done that to me yet

I love Gears, but Epic HAS to do a MP beta for Gears 3, if they want me to buy it day one. Hell, I bet most of the Gears community feels that way. There was no excuse for Gears 2 to have such awful lag. None. Things have improved a little, but it's still not as "good" (lol) as Gears 1.

Hmm, with everyone talking about Gears 3 its made me think... when should we expect it? With Halo Reach next year, I can't imagine that MS would want Gears 3 and Halo Reach going against each other... so maybe Gears 3 will get a 3 year dev cycle and come in 2011...

Tomcat

steverulez said:
Hmm, with everyone talking about Gears 3 its made me think... when should we expect it? With Halo Reach next year, I can't imagine that MS would want Gears 3 and Halo Reach going against each other... so maybe Gears 3 will get a 3 year dev cycle and come in 2011...

Halo reach on September and Gears 3 on November

If you buy Halo reach u get in the gears3 beta :lol :lol

goldenpp72

lol, I just got into a game of wingman that had 6 doms and like 4 misc. :/ You can also notice the numbers for scores got fucked up because i'm not in the top 2, sorry their a bit blurry

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809-1.jpg

Kydd BlaZe

NutJobJim said:
I just played my first online MP game of Gears in over 3 months.
Wow cant believe how different it is :lol

Took me about 2 mins to get in a game.
Nobody quit, teams seemed balanced.
I didn't spend half the game rolling around on my ass.
Lag was barely noticeable.

Please tell me it's now like this all the time?
I may buy the maps and start playing again if so.
Nope, its still hit or miss, to be honest.

The game will still consistently frustrate the fuck out of you from time to time...

goldenpp72

Anyone up for some horde, hootie and myself are going for the waves 1-50 achievement on snowblind (starting at wave 11 though), message me at goldenpp72 if you want in.

cresto

I like this game. I still think the gears series has the best MP out there, but why not handicap host? I guarantee you wouldn't see people bridging if the host had no shield or half the health of everyone else. Seems simple enough, but I guess it wouldn't be worth the trouble. Anybody know how that would be accomplished?

Just got this game from goozex. Played some online co op with a friend, but ive asked around and it seems not alot of people i know play multiplayer for this game anymore? As soon as i beat a few more single player levels ill hop online to play horde or other multiplayer modes.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
ergo said:
I like this game. I still think the gears series has the best MP out there, but why not handicap host? I guarantee you wouldn't see people bridging if the host had no shield or half the health of everyone else. Seems simple enough, but I guess it wouldn't be worth the trouble. Anybody know how that would be accomplished?

Yeah, or reduce their shotgun by 70-80% (or maybe more) to compensate for their enormous advantage.

ergo said:

I imagine it could be put into the game somehow but its unlikely, enough people play the game in its current state. I tend to have a 60% positive experience with the game when I get online, the lag just really destroys games sometimes. Matchmaking just doesn't seem to work to great with the current UE3 netcode, it seems better suited to server browsing.

Top Bottom