• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 5.0 (Natlan) - Everything Changed When the Fire Nation Arrived

Pejo

Yeah she a lot of fun, I was hoping she'd do more damage though, seems like she's mostly support, her damage next to Ego's might as well be non-existent lol
Well we're talking the difference between a Herrscher and a farmable S, so that's somewhat to be expected. I'll have to see after I max out her PRI and stigs and get some lucky affixes though. I could see her as kind of a FR situation where she can work as DPS at high investments, but we'll see. Wish she was Mech instead of Psy though, Mech is so underrepresented as a whole.

*edit*

This is pretty cool. It's not even Honkai anniversary for Global, but they're making 12,500 physical art books available in the game for playing in-game content. They'll actually ship it to you if you're in a supported country, completely free (you don't even pay for the shipping).

HfP565H.jpg

They did this with some snack boxes to asian territories last year. If I recall, this is the first time they've done something like this for GL though, probably since HoYoVerse exists now and regional logistics got easier for them.

Wonder if we'll ever see anything like this in Genshin.

Last edited:
This is pretty cool. It's not even Honkai anniversary for Global, but they're making 12,500 physical art books available in the game for playing in-game content. They'll actually ship it to you if you're in a supported country, completely free (you don't even pay for the shipping).
Yeah saw that, wonder if I can get one.

Pejo

Not sure I get it or just unfunny.
I mean it's not going for a deep meaning, but humor is subjective. I don't get the humor of those .EXE vids for example.
Uh, how does it work? My Nahida just stands there on the left side, I can't click anything and nothing happens.
EDIT: Solved, I just needed to ease a bit my antiscripts.
Sounds like it's bugged, I'd try a different browser. You should see 2 clickable text boxes at that point.

*edit*

Dregnel Dregnel R Reizo Ryuu

These concept arts are fucking cool. Can't wait to see how this all pans out with HotE.

5cfdhlb60jw91.jpg

wcxoxkb60jw91.jpg

Last edited:

Pejo

Well so much for no powercreep in Genshin. Scara is basically Kaz + Xiao with extra buffs and without a HP loss mechanic. So he must be draining stamina the whole time he's floating, which explains the stamina buff, it restores stamina to the bar.

Wish I liked his character even a little, because his kit sounds ridiculous.

Fake

Gold Member
Scara is basically Kaz + Xiao with extra buffs and without a HP loss mechanic.

This was like 999% predictable. Only way he beat Venti, Xiao or Kaz is he copy/paste their combine kits into one char.

Last edited:

Pejo

This was like 999% predictable. Only way he beat Venti, Xiao or Kaz is he copy/past their combine kits into one char.
It's just so crazy to me that they can keep a character like Qiqi around since launch who is singularly focused to "heal or gtfo" and mostly useless, or Shenhe who is a premium 5* that is a support for ONE kind of team, but then you have on the opposite end Scara who fits anywhere, does 40 things with his kit, and makes your team worse at exploration if you don't have him.

Reddit constantly proclaims how good MHY is at balancing characters etc, but the balance between characters fucking sucks. I'm not talking about numbers, I'm talking about viability, interesting playstyles, unique effects etc. 5*s should never end up like Shenhe or Itto when on the opposite end of the spectrum we have characters like Zhongli, Scara, Kaz, Shogun that can do so much and fit so many places.

FWIW I think the best balanced characters are Venti, Childe, Ganyu, Kokomi, and Jean. They all have multiple uses and facets about them, can fit in many team comps and offer different benefits for each. Most importantly, they all have a unique "gimmick" that makes them fun outside of just numbers and reactions. On the opposite end though, you don't feel like you're gimping yourself by not including them like Kaz/Zhongli. That's what I think a 5* should be. Unique, fun to play, and easy to fit into teams without railroading you into using them for every team.

Saber

It's just so crazy to me that they can keep a character like Qiqi around since launch who is singularly focused to "heal or gtfo" and mostly useless, or Shenhe who is a premium 5* that is a support for ONE kind of team, but then you have on the opposite end Scara who fits anywhere, does 40 things with his kit, and makes your team worse at exploration if you don't have him.

Reddit constantly proclaims how good MHY is at balancing characters etc, but the balance between characters fucking sucks. I'm not talking about numbers, I'm talking about viability, interesting playstyles, unique effects etc. 5*s should never end up like Shenhe or Itto when on the opposite end of the spectrum we have characters like Zhongli, Scara, Kaz, Shogun that can do so much and fit so many places.

FWIW I think the best balanced characters are Venti, Childe, Ganyu, Kokomi, and Jean. They all have multiple uses and facets about them, can fit in many team comps and offer different benefits for each. Most importantly, they all have a unique "gimmick" that makes them fun outside of just numbers and reactions. On the opposite end though, you don't feel like you're gimping yourself by not including them like Kaz/Zhongli. That's what I think a 5* should be. Unique, fun to play, and easy to fit into teams without railroading you into using them for every team.

Like my brother was already expecting(and me for not a long time), theres not much creativite left on them.
So at this point most of kits will be kinda like very repetitive.
I was on the team who didn't believe that Scara was playable, but after dozen of leaks I got convinced. Even more about the fact he is an anemo and so will not steal their stupid "simp" fame. Other than that, it was predictable that he would get this much type of kit. Reminds me of LOL and how much overload of kits some champions have than others.

As for Faruzan, yeah being like Sara sucks, but at least her kit isn't dumb as Sara. Seems like she deals damage as soon as she teleports and enhance her charged arrow. Maybe she could be fun to play.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
We still don't know for sure.

Anyway, I've got the equivalent of 284 wishes, so 3 full pity at 75 and something, wonder if I can pull for Nahida, Scara and Alhaitam. Definitely want Al, although his kit doesn't sounds great, I'm not crazy for dendro and he has those stupid headphones and petal hair.
Gonna wait and see if Scara is really that OP, I guess.

Pejo

As pathetic as it is, it's probably the single biggest EN community. Just in sheer numbers it's more likely that they listen to that feedback than this or similar forums. If reddit gives something a pass, that's effectively saying that the general EN populace agrees with it.

Fuz

Banned
Like my brother was already expecting(and me for not a long time), theres not much creativite left on them.
So at this point most of kits will be kinda like very repetitive.
I was on the team who didn't believe that Scara was playable, but after dozen of leaks I got convinced. Even more about the fact he is an anemo and so will not steal their stupid "simp" fame. Other than that, it was predictable that he would get this much type of kit. Reminds me of LOL and how much overload of kits some champions have than others.

As for Faruzan, yeah being like Sara sucks, but at least her kit isn't dumb as Sara. Seems like she deals damage as soon as she teleports and enhance her charged arrow. Maybe she could be fun to play.
DUDE HOW DO YOU GO INTO THE FUTURE

Saber.png

Saber

DUDE HOW DO YOU GO INTO THE FUTURE

Saber.png

Maybe he's not posting from the future, but instead, it's you that's stuck in the past?

Looking Around Michael J Fox GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

I came from the glorious utopia which is 2002.
Or maybe its the past? Dunno, but reddit still sucks anyway.

As for feedback, the only feedback usefull is the ones who complain about the game. Nothing usefull can be extracted of a place that is 90% fanart and the rest between drama and shipping. Maybe they aways keeps an eye on this thread.

edit: gaf mobile is very stupid.

Last edited:

Pejo

By the way, I found a few quests after more revisiting of old locations that I previously cleared. If you guys are using guides/maps, you probably already got these, but it's worth mentioning just in case.

Back up where Jebreal saved you in the throne room.
exQEarR.jpg

A breakable stone passage in the ground where you found the old "hospital" where Dottore and his buds used to experiment on humans.
mDSi0wK.jpg

At a little camp relates to the 3 old guys that used to hang out with the Aranara and grew apart over time
V4egbN9.jpg

There's also a brand new puzzle at the top of the big pyramid in the desert if you only went up there once for the world quest so far.

Fuz

Banned
Apart from eye design and expression, I honestly much preferred the fanart design, this time.

FbVdVE_UsAIEp__

2wjy5hqqd5w91.png

Last edited:

Pejo

Apart from eye design and expression, I honestly much preferred the fanart design, this time.

FbVdVE_UsAIEp__

2wjy5hqqd5w91.png
Yep, no guy can pull off a low vneck, nor should they try. The fanart was better.

Man we've come a long way in faces though. He Diluc's better than Diluc who looks like a last gen Genshin character by comparison.
771e7272fbb282d8e7fef6728f468cb9dbf915a5r1-768-768v2_uhq.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Triggered
Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, I had saw that but I didn't fully remember the fan art, and just today I wasn't lazy enough to avoid searching for it.
He's so bland.
Shirt and shoulder cover are really plain and ugly. Overall looks like a fujoshi character.
Genshin's character designers are creatively bankrupt.
But I've never been a fan of them in the first place.
xomv2fczhmw91.jpg

Supposed to be claymore
Don't think claymore is a good fit. I wonder if he's gonna turn good or we'll just play a kind-hearted clone of him.

Pejo

Kaveh isn't designed for me, so it's whatever.

Dottore isn't bad, but will probably change when/if he becomes playable.

Hope Fontaine has less of these big baggy flowy clothes characters. We need something new that doesn't have capes and feathers and shit everywhere. I liked Diluc's costume, it was at least different visually from the usual scarves and capes and shit. I still think Mondstadt had the best overall varied designs for the characters.

Saber

Kaveh isn't designed for me, so it's whatever.

Dottore isn't bad, but will probably change when/if he becomes playable.

Hope Fontaine has less of these big baggy flowy clothes characters. We need something new that doesn't have capes and feathers and shit everywhere. I liked Diluc's costume, it was at least different visually from the usual scarves and capes and shit. I still think Mondstadt had the best overall varied designs for the characters.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think theres a girl with different clothes and blue color which claims to came from Fontaine.
Dunno if its actually different though. Maybe its just the common Sumeru fella with a blue collor.

Honestly I didn't expect much nowadays. Remember our talk here when we got worried that their censorship would affect the character design in the future? I see thats its clearly the route they're getting. Even more if the leaks about Baizhu redesign end up being true.

Last edited:

Pejo

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think theres a girl with different clothes and blue color which claims to came from Fontaine.
Dunno if its actually different though. Maybe its just the common Sumeru fella with a blue collor.

Honestly I didn't expect much nowadays. Remember our talk here when we got worried that their censorship would affect the character design in the future? I see thats its clearly the route they're getting. Even more if the leaks about Baizhu redesign end up being true.
The only ones likely playable that we know of are Lyney and Lynette. Maybe the first pet character, or maybe they'll both be playable, who knows. I love the design of the girl though. I don't think we need more wafer-thin teen boys in shorts though.

unnamed-file-105.jpg

*edit*

So Honkai is having a Fall Guys event in the game right now, and they fucking nailed it. It's easily the best minigame event that I have played in Honkai, it lends itself really well to that style of gameplay with the character chibis.

I would love to see Genshin get this, it's so much fun.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Because they weren't doing "culture" and just designing anime characters. Now they're following stricter guidelines about how they designs should be in relation to the nations.
And it sucks.

Spot on. Launch characters have almost zero culture related with real world, thats the real charm of Genshin Impact. Even the OST from Mondstadt is unique.

edit:
be9fhj93znw91.jpg

Last edited:

Saber

Because they weren't doing "culture" and just designing anime characters. Now they're following stricter guidelines about how their designs should be in relation to the nations.
And it sucks.

Yeah.
Like, how can someone see a tropical place akin to my country even(which is hot almost everytime btw) and believe a girl dances there full covered. Dumbest thing I ever see.

Fake

Gold Member
The regional nature of the game really works against it in this case. I don't think the characters would feel so samey if they didn't push out several characters from the same region in a row.

They don't need. Just create a fictional region like Mondstadt is.

Fake

Gold Member
Too late for that now. Mondstadt also benefited from being released alongside Liyue. If we got a dozen Mondstadt characters in a row it'd be boring too IMO.

No, you don't get it.

I saying 'create a fictional city', no necessarily Mondstadt.

But I agree with you about 'too late'.

Last edited:
No, you don't get it.

I saying 'create a fictional city', no necessarily Mondstadt.

But I agree with you about 'too late'.
I mean, we know not-France, not-Aztec/Inca and not-Russia are coming. They can't realistically make any fictional cultures anymore. Except maybe Mondstadt's port city that apparently exists. Or maybe Celestia, Khaenri'ah, or some other ancient culture like Enkanomiya.

Fake

Gold Member
I mean, we know not-France, not-Aztec/Inca and not-Russia are coming. They can't realistically make any fictional cultures anymore. Except maybe Mondstadt's port city that apparently exists. Or maybe Celestia, Khaenri'ah, or some other ancient culture like Enkanomiya.

I still confuse about Sumeru 'Brazil/India'.

Pejo

Technically Mondstadt is supposed to be Germany/parts of western Europe, but the designs and the region doesn't feel as focused at trying to be real life Germany with fantasy elements, it's more like a fantasy area that happens to share some similarities with Germany. That's where I think they leaned a bit too far into it with Inazuma, and now Sumeru. Just because I'm a big fanboy of Egyptian mythology doesn't make me oblivious to the fact that they straight up included real world myths in the desert area.

They're very inconsistent with their stance on "real world" stuff. The dev interview around launch said that they explicitly were not including real life holidays to keep Teyvat separate, avoid cultural issues, and keep it interesting and 'in lore' with its own celebrations, but then we have CNY events every year. Weinlesefest is an actual German celebration too, on top of a few others. I think it's just their excuse for not doing Christmas and Halloween events, which are usually staples in any gacha game. Even Honkai did events for both for a while until likely the CCP stepped in and said "NO WESTERN HOLIDAYS!".

crumbs

No doubt that some of the newer Sumeru character designs are busy. The designers should probably follow the fashion wisdom: "When leaving the house, look in the mirror and remove one accessory". Tighnari and Kaveh should have definitely heeded this advice.

Last edited:

Pejo

Got caught up and have enough of the cliff lotuses for Kusanali to 90, but now I'm stuck farming XP books. I think it's what, like 410~ purple ones to get from 1-90? I dunno what my rush is, we're all still going to have to farm Dendro cube a bunch to get her ascended anyways. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she can do in a few different team comps.

Something else I noticed while playing the past few days - All polearm characters have their own unique animation at the end of their charge attack. Even the characters that share the same "drill forward" animation for the charge attack itself have like 10-15 frames at the end that are completely unique to them. Kind of a neat touch. Candace is my favorite of the ones I tried, she does the weeb "stick your leg out and drag it in a half circle" stance thing. Yun Jin's puts her into a stance where she looks like she's about to dance.

Got caught up and have enough of the cliff lotuses for Kusanali to 90, but now I'm stuck farming XP books. I think it's what, like 410~ purple ones to get from 1-90? I dunno what my rush is, we're all still going to have to farm Dendro cube a bunch to get her ascended anyways. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she can do in a few different team comps.
I have 140+ fragile resin ready to go for situations like these :messenger_smirking:
That cube is dead salad.

The special boss materials from Scara are going to take a lot longer though.

Something else I noticed while playing the past few days - All polearm characters have their own unique animation at the end of their charge attack. Even the characters that share the same "drill forward" animation for the charge attack itself have like 10-15 frames at the end that are completely unique to them. Kind of a neat touch. Candace is my favorite of the ones I tried, she does the weeb "stick your leg out and drag it in a half circle" stance thing. Yun Jin's puts her into a stance where she looks like she's about to dance.
Yeah, they do put in a lot of effort into that kinda stuff. On the one hand I appreciate it, on the other they could've also just given them actual unique charge attacks...

I know Nahida's weapon kinda sucks but I still want to have it. To complete her, for aesthetic reasons and I hope it's still the best choice for both on and off field performance. I pre-farmed everything too like a moron. Still debating what I should do. I don't think 400 wishes is gonna be enough to get C2 and the weapon too. Not with the pulls I've been seeing. Hopefully there's a consensus when she's out.

Pejo

I have 140+ fragile resin ready to go for situations like these :messenger_smirking:
That cube is dead salad.

The special boss materials from Scara are going to take a lot longer though.
I can't remember - when they introduced Shogun puppet weekly, were you able to convert the boss materials immediately or did they make you wait? If you can convert, it's no big deal. I have a mountain of wolf and stormterror weekly materials doing nothing right now.
Yeah, they do put in a lot of effort into that kinda stuff. On the one hand I appreciate it, on the other they could've also just given them actual unique charge attacks.
Yea definitely agree. The only "basic" charge attacks that I like are sword and obviously bows for CA characters. Basic polearm/catalyst and especially claymore CA's feel awful to try to use in battle due to the extra startup time/aiming issues. I would rather every spear user have Ei's polearm CA than the stupid 'dash and fuck up your positioning' one.
I know Nahida's weapon kinda sucks but I still want to have it. To complete her, for aesthetic reasons and I hope it's still the best choice for both on and off field performance. I pre-farmed everything too like a moron. Still debating what I should do. I don't think 400 wishes is gonna be enough to get C2 and the weapon too. Not with the pulls I've been seeing. Hopefully there's a consensus when she's out.
I don't think it sucks, it's just not generally worth the resources to pull for when we have some excellent F2P options for once. C2 is my priority for her, weapon be damned. The upcoming banner schedule is too busy to roll weapon banner when it's not a huge boost to her, especially when I'll likely be using her exclusively as a Dendro reaction machine instead of on-field DPS.

I can't remember - when they introduced Shogun puppet weekly, were you able to convert the boss materials immediately or did they make you wait? If you can convert, it's no big deal. I have a mountain of wolf and stormterror weekly materials doing nothing right now.
You can immediately convert them with dream solvent, but I think you need 9 materials to upgrade all talents to 10. That'll take about a month.

Yea definitely agree. The only "basic" charge attacks that I like are sword and obviously bows for CA characters. Basic polearm/catalyst and especially claymore CA's feel awful to try to use in battle due to the extra startup time/aiming issues. I would rather every spear user have Ei's polearm CA than the stupid 'dash and fuck up your positioning' one.
Yeah, for sure. I wish claymores also just had a single strong attack, rather than those attack chains. The polearms are the worst though.

I don't think it sucks, it's just not generally worth the resources to pull for when we have some excellent F2P options for once. C2 is my priority for her, weapon be damned. The upcoming banner schedule is too busy to roll weapon banner when it's not a huge boost to her, especially when I'll likely be using her exclusively as a Dendro reaction machine instead of on-field DPS.
Lol, that banner schedule with fujo-bait as far as the eye can see? This week's gonna be exciting, and then I'll enter a long slumber until they run out of sausages.

Saber

Her weapon isn't bad but I think one of best points in this is that there are alot of good options in terms of catalysts. If you guys want my suggestion, I would go for her and save your primos instead of waste on the weapon banner. It left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Top Bottom