• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 5.0 (Natlan) - Everything Changed When the Fire Nation Arrived

Fuz

Banned
I dunno, I have respect that they care enough about their own lore to want to make sure you have bits and pieces of knowledge from other quests. Especiailly for what happens in this particular archon quest, knowing more about the lore of Sumeru and its gods really has an impact on the ending. At least they actually care about the story they're telling instead of like 90% of devs out there these days.
Setting aside that not everyone cares about the lore (but IT'S IMPORTANT, right? That's ego), what about all the pointless banter about food, about other inconsequential things, about stocazzo? You can't skip them either. What about the slowed down dialogue speed? What about the fake Traveler answers just to be sure you don't alt+tab away the dialogues? It's just them telling you, "I WROTE THIS AND YOU NEED TO READ IT BECAUSE I'M IMPORTANT".

Man, I hate them so much.

Pejo

Setting aside that not everyone cares about the lore (but IT'S IMPORTANT, right? That's ego), what about all the pointless banter about food, about other inconsequential things, about stocazzo? You can't skip them either. What about the slowed down dialogue speed? What about the fake Traveler answers just to be sure you don't alt+tab away the dialogues? It's just them telling you, "I WROTE THIS AND YOU NEED TO READ IT BECAUSE I'M IMPORTANT".

Man, I hate them so much.
Again, I don't see the problem in having confidence in and being invested in the story you're writing. Too much western trash treats a story as a way to get from action setpiece 1 to action setpiece 2 and doesn't properly flesh out anything or make you care about the characters or what happens in the story. The fact that MHY cares about delivering something (after the Inazuma archon quest at least) is a huge positive in my eyes. It's not like the combat is so good that you can't be assed to read for 10 minutes before headed back into the artifact domains.

I'll give you that they write about a lot of inconsequential stuff like food, etc. But in their mind, that's flavor text. Added to flesh out the world/area/characters in a way that makes sense to the average person. It's a nice way to get invested in the characters enough so that you care about their role in the story. Like they sufficiently got me to dislike Scara, and somehow they made me 180 on Kusanali after being disappointed that we got another stupid kid character. I dunno, there has to be a line where you should care about something if you're actually continuing to play the game.

I don't think they'll ever add a skip button to the story simply because it's all a bit of a sales pitch for new characters. Look at Scara. They introduced him back in what, 1.2 or something at the first Fischl/Mona event? All this time and several interactions later with him, and he will soon be playable. That's like a 1-2 year marketing plan. If you skipped every bit of story and missed that event, you'd be like "who's this little twink?", which is counter productive to what MHY wants to do with their product.

Saber

Again, I don't see the problem in having confidence in and being invested in the story you're writing. Too much western trash treats a story as a way to get from action setpiece 1 to action setpiece 2 and doesn't properly flesh out anything or make you care about the characters or what happens in the story. The fact that MHY cares about delivering something (after the Inazuma archon quest at least) is a huge positive in my eyes. It's not like the combat is so good that you can't be assed to read for 10 minutes before headed back into the artifact domains.

I'll give you that they write about a lot of inconsequential stuff like food, etc. But in their mind, that's flavor text. Added to flesh out the world/area/characters in a way that makes sense to the average person. It's a nice way to get invested in the characters enough so that you care about their role in the story. Like they sufficiently got me to dislike Scara, and somehow they made me 180 on Kusanali after being disappointed that we got another stupid kid character. I dunno, there has to be a line where you should care about something if you're actually continuing to play the game.

I don't think they'll ever add a skip button to the story simply because it's all a bit of a sales pitch for new characters. Look at Scara. They introduced him back in what, 1.2 or something at the first Fischl/Mona event? All this time and several interactions later with him, and he will soon be playable. That's like a 1-2 year marketing plan. If you skipped every bit of story and missed that event, you'd be like "who's this little twink?", which is counter productive to what MHY wants to do with their product.

In my opinion, force you to do something does not isnpire confidence. I understand the point of archon quest being not skippable, and I also agree with having more dialogues as part of the plot rather than keep fighting constantly. However, it's really hard to defend them when most of times (and I don't want to use this term lightly) they write just like a bunch of monkeys with aneurism. It's aways the same, we got a dialogue, sometimes important and then Paymon cames with dialogues like "I like to wipe my ass with banana" and you as the Traveler answer "ugabugabigabuga".
And this doesn't even touch the small details that blows pretty much the relationship I have with the character that is supposed to be Traveler best friend.
For instance when Traveler is down by a big attack, Paymon aways comes to simply try to "wake him/her up", pushing Traveler and then just expect the worst. Like...couldn't they make Paymon do something more caring about the Traveler? I know it doesn't fight, but that doesn't mean she could simply put herself in front of Travaler in a desperate attempt to defend him, even if it's hopeless. I know they want to re-use animations every single time, but at this point it sounds like they're completelly cheap bastards.

Confidence in their dialogues would mean them allow you to skip them. "Players you can skip the dialogues, but you would miss all the good stuff we can offer". Their case it's just like what is happening with Dendro, which screams like "please, use Dendro!!!". Big example is the recent event, where every part is a mini-game, except the part where you have to do Dendro reaction(no mini-game, just reactions).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Pejo

Well I guess I'm in the minority in GAF at least of people that read and mostly enjoy the story. I do agree that there wouldn't be much harm to adding a skip button, but I already explained why I think they won't do it.

Anyways, this probably kills my interest in rolling for him:

Y5gq-cJE5hj2Iel4zYvbgp4dTWCcfUNG5wlC5ZeBA8Y.jpg

So can't use it from the air or from hanging on a cliff, it's just a boost if you're already on the ground.

I played Tighnari's quest recently and it actually had some unique animations for a certain character, and it emphasized the benefits of visual story telling. A picture says more than a thousand words, as they say. How much time is wasted in Genshin explaining stuff that should've been shown instead? The sooner they invest in this, the better. It will benefit everything they do in the future.

crumbs

Well I guess I'm in the minority in GAF at least of people that read and mostly enjoy the story. I do agree that there wouldn't be much harm to adding a skip button, but I already explained why I think they won't do it.

Anyways, this probably kills my interest in rolling for him:

Y5gq-cJE5hj2Iel4zYvbgp4dTWCcfUNG5wlC5ZeBA8Y.jpg

So can't use it from the air or from hanging on a cliff, it's just a boost if you're already on the ground.
I enjoy the story and lore as well, but there are definitely areas where the devs can improve their storytelling techniques. Like less Paimon explaining obvious things.

As for Scaramouche, I've been all over the range in terms of hype. Started off not caring, but the early kit leaks & talk about a redesign piqued my interest. Unfortunately, the redesign was more of a recolor and his actual kit in practice doesn't seem compelling. We'll see how his demo plays, but he's feeling like a skip.

Following up on this issue with competing/overlapping quests:

It was a real mistake not starting & completing Nilou's quest before proceeding with the v3.2 portion of the Archon quest. I was forced to switch back & forth between the two quests as I completed certain parts of each. This led to a disjointed narrative experience and it wasn't always clear why one quest would take priority over the other. It also irritating that while I had unlocked Nilou's story quest, I actually never "started" it (meaning the quest namecard being displayed).

In a scenario like this, it would be a helpful to have the in-game option to set a quest as the "priority" quest and allow you to finish it without interference from other side quests.

You are complaining about that? I had started both Nilou and Cyno quest but never progressed them and while doing Archon quest I had to juggle between the 3 of them to finish the Archon quest.

Anyway, give me good builds/build guides for Nahida and Cyno

Fake

Gold Member
I already give some advices about Nahida in my last posts.

You can either put 2x 2- set artifact that give her 80 EM for each, or go for it the 4-set dendro artifact that give dendro damage boost and enemies dendro res decrease.

Recommending her a weapon is a trick one because most of her weapons are gancha. Her 5* lamp is the ideial weapon, while for 4* weapons, sacrificial catalyst is a good choise, the new 4* catalyst that give ATK boost depend of how high is your EM.

If lacking all those weapons, the only remain solution for 4* is the Mappa.

Last edited:
People not using Lumine as their traveler are missing a lot. She is such a badass in action cut-scenes and cute in other dialog based ones.

Is Nahida C2 really that great? Should I go for her C2? I got her weapon in 40 pulls.

Why do some archons have tons of names anyway? Morax/Rex Lapis/Zhongli and now Kusanali/Nahida/Buer? I can understand Zhongli is like a secret identity like Venti to be able to mingle with regular humans but why does Kusanali use Nahida name? Maybe I missed something in the dialogs I skipped.

deanote666

People not using Lumine as their traveler are missing a lot. She is such a badass in action cut-scenes and cute in other dialog based ones.

Is Nahida C2 really that great? Should I go for her C2? I got her weapon in 40 pulls.

Why do some archons have tons of names anyway? Morax/Rex Lapis/Zhongli and now Kusanali/Nahida/Buer? I can understand Zhongli is like a secret identity like Venti to be able to mingle with regular humans but why does Kusanali use Nahida name? Maybe I missed something in the dialogs I skipped.
I'm a Nahida C0 haver asking the same question. Didn't get her weapon though.

No regrets with choosing Lumine.

IRL "gods" have plenty of names too so it isn't too farfetched.

I missed/forgot the reason for some of the names as well.

Pejo

If you like Spread/Aggravate reactions, that's where the real benefit of Nahida C2 is. The random crits for the other reactions is nice, but 30% Def reduction on top of the crazy damage you can get from Spread/Aggravate is the real icing on the cake. If that's worth 2 constellations to you personally or not is another question.
One is their Ars Goetia name, which we haven't figured out the relevance to. One is their "birth" name or maybe in Venti/Zhongli's case a chosen name? One is their celestia given "god" name.

So like:
Buer - Ars Goetia name, Nahida - Birth name/chosen name, Kusanali - Celestia divine name.
Beelzebul - Ars Goetia name, Ei - Birth name/chosen name, Raiden - Celestia divine name.
Baal - Ars Goetia name, Makoto - Birth name/chosen name, Raiden - Celestia divine name.
Morax - Ars Goetia name, Zhongli - Birth name/chosen name, Rex Lapis - Celestia divine name.
Barbatos - Ars Goetia name, Venti - Birth name/chosen name, (seems to only go by Barbatos? for divine name.) He was a wind spirit that inherited the archon title, so maybe this makes him different than the rest?

We don't know what the Ars Goetia relevance is yet, but it's interesting that the other gods seem to call each other by that name first and foremost. For instance, all we know about the Hydro archon is that her name is Focalors, which is another Ars Goetia demon.

Last edited:

Pejo

Well i'll be damned, somebody acually made Candace work somewhere. She doesn't really do anything that any other Hydro character couldn't do better, but still, I'm impressed. Guess after I finish Kusanali, it's finally time to build my Xiangling.

Fake

Gold Member
The fun part is making 4* work. My only problem in that composition is Xingling. Xingu is far better for basic attacks and his constellation reduce enemy hydro resistence.

edit:

Last edited:

Pejo

The fun part is making 4* work. My only problem in that composition is Xingling. Xingu is far better for basic attacks and his constellation reduce enemy hydro resistence.

edit:

Thats a lot of work for one succ pulse...

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that she's just an Anemo Kujou Sara.

Fake

Gold Member

Yeah, and as I said before, no infusion. She will be like the second in this anemo family without anemo infusion besides Xiao.

Maybe thats explain the huge amount of anemo buff she got. Lack of infusion is a let down for some.

edit: IDK you guys, but I having a bad time trying to get cons for 4* chars. MYH should really consider put some new 4* chars onto Paimon Bargain.

Last edited:

Saber

Shes totally an anemo support, don't expect much from her. Also her burst is confirmed to be 80 energy cost, which is a bummer.
Good new is that her support talents/cons mostly works with her.
Honestly I'm not sure how this charge attack modifier works. It says the vortex part is an elemental skill, but what about the charge attack itself? Doesn't look any different from her normal charged attack, at least visually.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Honestly I'm not sure how this charge attack modifier works. It says the vortex part is an elemental skill, but what about the charge attack itself? Doesn't look any different from her normal charged attack, at least visually.
The elemental skill makes that little triangle appear, then it gets shot with the charge attack and it makes enemies fly. Just a guess.

Saber

The elemental skill makes that little triangle appear, then it gets shot with the charge attack and it makes enemies fly. Just a guess.

Theres 3 differemt parts in her skill.

-Skill activates(boring, damages)
-Enhanced charged arrow(considered Charged damage)
- Vortex effect(considered skill damage)

My problem is with the enhanced charged arrow, that doesn't look any different from her normal charged arrow. I though it would make an effect similar to Yelan enhanced charged arrow.
-

crumbs

Scara's attacks look pretty lame, after seeing them. I dunno. I'm wavering less and less likely to pull for him.

At least that confirms some his attacks do have homing capabilities during his skill. I wonder how high he can hover and still have that work? Auto-targeting in GI is still wonky, so I can see the vertical movement causing more issues.

Pejo

At least that confirms some his attacks do have homing capabilities during his skill. I wonder how high he can hover and still have that work? Auto-targeting in GI is still wonky, so I can see the vertical movement causing more issues.
As a frequent Yoimiya user, I understand your concern.

For me the big issue is just that you can't launch into his hover from anything other than standing, and it seems like you can't float both up and sideways at the same time. When I'm out exploring, the last thing I want to do is run up into an obstacle, stop for a minute and land, then slowly float up and to the right to get over it. Kaz's double jump is good because it's free flowing and doesn't require you to stop to use it. Same with Xiao's airdash.

So they released the Hoyolab widget today for Android too, so now both major phone OSes have it.

iqUl97z.jpg

Saber

Whew, thank god they nerfed her. She was looking too good. :pie_eyeroll:

It's funny she received nerfs while Scara buffs. They don't even hide at this point.

Yea it just ties in to your Hoyoverse account through hoyolab. It doesn't care which platform you play on.

Still doesn't work, I'm afraid. At least the prize redemption, because the site aways say that I don't have a character in the game.

Last edited:

Pejo

It's funny she received nerfs while Scara buffs. They don't even hide at this point.
Technically it's a nerf to Scara too, since only he and Xiao would want to use her to begin with as a support. Maybe some meme Venti team comp. To me this just makes her even less likely to be used instead of just slappin' old Bennett in the team and calling it a day like usual.

I fucking HATE these hyper-niche single use supports. At least Gorou has some unique benefits for using him over Bennett in a Geo team. Sara and now Faruzan both do less than Bennett and are hyper niche even in their own elements. I complain about Sara's restrictive kit in literally every survey, so they've just gone and made another one. Some character's passive skills are better than the entirety of these characters' full kit.

If they were going to make a character just to suck Scara's micropenis they should have just made it Haypasia because that at least makes sense in-lore.

Saber

Technically it's a nerf to Scara too, since only he and Xiao would want to use her to begin with as a support. Maybe some meme Venti team comp. To me this just makes her even less likely to be used instead of just slappin' old Bennett in the team and calling it a day like usual.

I fucking HATE these hyper-niche single use supports. At least Gorou has some unique benefits for using him over Bennett in a Geo team. Sara and now Faruzan both do less than Bennett and are hyper niche even in their own elements. I complain about Sara's restrictive kit in literally every survey, so they've just gone and made another one. Some character's passive skills are better than the entirety of these characters' full kit.

If they were going to make a character just to suck Scara's micropenis they should have just made it Haypasia because that at least makes sense in-lore.

The difference with her, at least for now, is that most of her buffs aren't strict to just their party members.
Thats why I mentioned the exclusion clause. Candance C6 has exclusion clause, meaning that only her party members take advantage of the wave impact.

Pejo

The difference with her, at least for now, is that most of her buffs aren't strict to just their party members.
Thats why I mentioned the exclusion clause. Candance C6 has exclusion clause, meaning that only her party members take advantage of the wave impact.
What do you mean only to their party members? Who else could the buffs be useful for?

*edit*

Oh i get you now, you mean that she herself can use her own buffs, opposed to not working for herself like Candace C6.

Last edited:

Saber

What do you mean only to their party members? Who else could the buffs be useful for?

Herself? I know shes weak but maybe she can have a bit of potential if you instead of buffing other anemos you buff herself. Crazy I know, but I'm well know for being attracted to this 4-star boring ass character kits, thats why I don't like everytime she got nerfs xD

Last edited:

Pejo

Pejo Pejo (going back to https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gens...ree-to-play-action-rpg.1568699/post-266862951 )

confused-math.gif

I don't get it. I was only 1 week behind you, so now I should've catched up. Where does that extra points come from?
pejo.jpg
Well we only get nation rep from 4 sources - overall exploration (caps out at 60% for the region), Bounties (300 per week if you're doing the hardest ones, and you should be), 3 weekly rep quests, and then all of the "tracked" world quest, that the rep NPC keeps track of. Last week I had 69% Sumeru completion, so I already got max rewards from that, I'd been doing 3x hardest bounties every week since the Monday after 3.0 dropped, 3x weekly quests for the same length of time, and the only 2 tracked world quests I don't have done are the two related to RNG daily comissions. As far as I know, the only thing I did different was rush the story to unlock Sumeru rep quests/bounties before the weekly reset right when 3.0 dropped.

deanote666

Pejo Pejo (going back to https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gens...ree-to-play-action-rpg.1568699/post-266862951 )

confused-math.gif

I don't get it. I was only 1 week behind you, so now I should've catched up. Where does that extra points come from?
pejo.jpg

By the way, why the fuck do we have a tangible Silver Twig when all of that happened inside a memory?
Same reason we have Nahida running around. She was born from a twig too. You were connected to the saved personality of the Greater Lord but you were interacting with it so it wasj't just a "saved memory". You made changes to the save file, saved it, and got a twig.

crumbs

confused-math.gif

pejo.jpg

By the way, why the fuck do we have a tangible Silver Twig when all of that happened inside a memory?
Your numbers are pretty much the same as mine (once I do my bounties + rep quests this evening) and I was 2 weeks behind the "No Lifers", so either you're also 2 weeks behind Pejo or you sometimes did the lower value bounties.

Last edited:

Pejo

New vs. Old comparison. I think I like the old one slightly more. They both would be hugely improved just by adding full length pants.

zr7zxgvf5ky91.png

Interesting, this was the english twitter post for Yae 5 months ago. Sounds familiar...

5w1b3sxvhjy91.jpg

Top Bottom