• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 5.0 (Natlan) - Everything Changed When the Fire Nation Arrived

Ok ya, Fontaine is pretty cool. What a visual treat. Have 3 parts of the event book done, would like to finish it off tonight.
Time to grind 😎

Also got Kokomi into a useable state, instantly feels better than running Barbara. Wow. Huge QoL of life upgrade basically keeping all characters always topped off on HP, can just go go go. Also feel like she applies hydro better and/or more often. Eula keeping enemies almost constantly frozen.

Last edited:

Pejo

Faruzan official birthday art:

F38i8-rbIAARUb0

That's the first time I've seen Genshin in Ultrawide. Looks really good for the scenery.

I showed this to my gf and she spent the next 5 mins just doing this over and over.

Edit.
Damn that ultra wide looks tasty af, nice.

Genshin is surely one of those games where both ultra-wide and super-ultrawide displays are supported impeccably.
Here's some 32:9 screenshots I posted previously: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/what-are-your-thoughts-on-genshin-impact.1654953/post-267793634

In comparison, Honkai: Star Rail is limited to 3:1 aspect ratio (only about 4320x1440 can show up on a 5120x1440 screen), even though it's a Hoyoverse game too.

Last edited:

Pejo

Genshin is surely one of those games where both ultra-wide and super-ultrawide displays are supported impeccably.
Here's some 32:9 screenshot compilations I posted previously: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/what-are-your-thoughts-on-genshin-impact.1654953/post-267793634

In comparison, Honkai: Star Rail is limited to 3:1 aspect ratio (only about 4320x1440 can show up on a 5120x1440 screen), even though it's a Hoyoverse game too.
Damn, the desert was built for UW... I'm a bit jealous. Really nice shots there.

Also, regarding HSR, I don't feel like they have 1/10th the vistas to make Ultrawide "worth it". Most of their areas so far are low poly snowfields, low budget Sci-Fi corridors or "space China" cargo boxes and shipping containers. That new-ish Moses sea split with the dragons floating by would be a notable exception.

It's a shame that they don't let you resize/reposition the UI elements in UW. It'd be nice to move the character portraits and HP bars all the way to the right instead of floating kinda 3 inches out.

Damn, the desert was built for UW... I'm a bit jealous. Really nice shots there.

Also, regarding HSR, I don't feel like they have 1/10th the vistas to make Ultrawide "worth it". Most of their areas so far are low poly snowfields, low budget Sci-Fi corridors or "space China" cargo boxes and shipping containers. That new-ish Moses sea split with the dragons floating by would be a notable exception.

It's a shame that they don't let you resize/reposition the UI elements in UW. It'd be nice to move the character portraits and HP bars all the way to the right instead of floating kinda 3 inches out.
I mostly agree about HSR, however, there's a caveat: you can still see a full 5120x1440 frame on screenshots made in Photo Mode (which is weird - it's like they've deliberately botched that sweet 32:9 experience). It looks quite acceptable. Not very spectacular, but neither there's anything that makes the game look bad.

UI in Genshin can be an issue if the player prefers to sit very closely to the monitor. I was having some discomfort - up until the moment I realized that moving the monitor a bit farther off improves things drastically.
So you should get a desk big enough if you think about getting one of those monitors. It WILL save the day.

Last edited:

Pejo

I mostly agree about HSR, however, there's a caveat: you can still see a full 5120x1440 frame on screenshots made in Photo Mode (which is weird - it's like they've deliberately botched that sweet 32:9 experience). It looks quite acceptable. Not very spectacular, but neither there's anything that makes the game look bad.

UI in Genshin can be an issue if the player prefers to sit very closely to the monitor. I was having some discomfort - up until the moment I realized that moving the monitor a bit farther off improves things drastically.
So you should get a desk big enough if you think about getting one of those monitors. It WILL save the day.
I'm in no place financially or gaming space-wise to get into UW gaming, but I do appreciate how good it makes games look. I'm still rocking a humble 2070 Super that can't even push Genshin at 1440p in the summer without screaming at me, so that's a long ways away. I definitely won't be mad at some more UW screenshots though.

4hZ0otf.png

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK OYOHIM HOW HAVE YOU PEOPLE NOT FIXED THIS PROBLEM YET AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yes, I'm this far back in the story. In case anyone cares, it's because I started Nahida's character story quest and haven't completed it. So yeah, fuck me and all that. I'm never going to get to Fontaine.

Pejo

4hZ0otf.png

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK OYOHIM HOW HAVE YOU PEOPLE NOT FIXED THIS PROBLEM YET AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yes, I'm this far back in the story. In case anyone cares, it's because I started Nahida's character story quest and haven't completed it. So yeah, fuck me and all that. I'm never going to get to Fontaine.
Well to be fair, that's not really THAT far behind. You have that quest and then the Apep quest and I think that's it to be caught up, main story wise. Archon quests are pretty few and far between. I wonder if it's gonna make you do the sibling quests too or if those aren't necessary for Fontaine.

I vastly prefer when games make you just click a box saying "I understand that I'm going to spoil myself on the story" and let you start at whatever quest you want.

I'm in no place financially or gaming space-wise to get into UW gaming, but I do appreciate how good it makes games look. I'm still rocking a humble 2070 Super that can't even push Genshin at 1440p in the summer without screaming at me, so that's a long ways away. I definitely won't be mad at some more UW screenshots though.
I'm sure 2070S should be enough for 3440x1440 with Render Resolution set to 1.0 (personally, I was using GTX 1080 before I switched from 3440x1440 to 5120x1440). Still, driving other games besides Genshin would become problematic.

As for the screenshots - it's worth noting that even the story quest becomes shockingly immersive. Fontaine Act I screenshot/minor spoilers -

- oh, that place captivates you in such a way...

edit: Imgur link is acting weird, I had to refresh it twice to see my own picture x_x

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I wouldn't say that on the account of the icons not being on the edge of the screen.
Bothers me on my phone in DFOO and would bother me even more on the PC.

I wouldn't say that on the account of the icons not being on the edge of the screen.
Bothers me on my phone in DFOO and would bother me even more on the PC.
Good point.
But frankly, I'd probably ignore an option to change the positioning of UI elements, had I a chance to do so.
It sounds weird and maybe my peripheral vision got more perceptive over time... I find myself not really looking at any icon deliberately.
I see a flash of colour and I instantly understand - "That character's Ultimate is now fully charged!" - without actually focusing eyes on that part of the screen.

(me right now, realizing I've turned into a monster)

2a0.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, not sure what going on here, got another 2 blue wishes and was like sure let’s just use them. Got Diluc AGAIN lol now he’s C1. That’s 2 golds within 4 pulls wth 🤯

Is he really as bad as everyone makes him out to be? From the way people talk about him he’s like meme status or something. Not that he’d fit in my teams right now anyway, so I don’t plan on building him up, but was curious if he’s as terrible as everyone says.

• Triggered
Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
Ok, not sure what going on here, got another 2 blue wishes and was like sure let’s just use them. Got Diluc AGAIN lol now he’s C1. That’s 2 golds within 4 pulls wth 🤯

Is he really as bad as everyone makes him out to be? From the way people talk about him he’s like meme status or something. Not that he’d fit in my teams right now anyway, so I don’t plan on building him up, but was curious if he’s as terrible as everyone says.
I hate you.

And no, he's really good. But he's a lost 50/50 for people.

His damage is pretty low in comparison to limited 5-stars like Hu Tao, Yoimiya etc. and doesn't have any other kind of supportive or unique use. Still usable if you like him though, which is true for almost any character in this game.

Still, congrats on your lucky pulls!

Pejo

It makes sense unfortunately.
Only if you look at it from MHY CEO's viewpoint. They made a purposeful decision to remove fun from the rest of the cast (that you already own and wouldn't have to roll for).

Dick move all the way around.

By the way, I love that the community is shitting on them for how godawful Hydro Traveler is. I guess that was the "wait for 4.0" Dehya buff that leakers were hinting at. She's no longer numerically or kit-wise the worst character in the game now that Hydro Traveler exists. What a buff!

Only if you look at it from MHY CEO's viewpoint. They made a purposeful decision to remove fun from the rest of the cast (that you already own and wouldn't have to roll for).

Dick move all the way around.
My guess would be that it's a new animation that has to be made for each character, so instead they came up with some plot excuse why just the new characters can do it.

Pejo

My guess would be that it's a new animation that has to be made for each character, so instead they came up with some plot excuse why just the new characters can do it.
If they wouldn't have already made all of the other swimming animations work on literally every character, I'd be more apt to believe this, but as it is, I'm sure it's just a reason to get you to roll/build/use Fontaine characters.

Fuz

Banned
This was my first thought, but skeletons don't change much...
By the way, I love that the community is shitting on them for how godawful Hydro Traveler is.
It is? I saw nothing of the sort.

Last edited:
If they wouldn't have already made all of the other swimming animations work on literally every character, I'd be more apt to believe this, but as it is, I'm sure it's just a reason to get you to roll/build/use Fontaine characters.
One more reason to roll for the hydro archon. Well crap, it worked!

I'm not upset about the dolphin dive thing. It's such a minor ability that most people probably wouldn't even notice. It hardly affects gameplay and all players get at least two characters that can do it, assuming they never pull for anyone else. I guess they just wanted to give Fontaine characters a bit more flavor and this is one of the least offensive ways to do that, so I'm okay with it.

Don't get the outrage about the hydro traveler either. That character is more like an obligation at this point. No one actually uses them. People suddenly pretending like this matters is like getting uppity for the sake of it to me. I'd rather they save their good ideas for future characters that people might actually care about.

But well, I do get that if you're gonna make a kit you might as well make it viable. Just tweak some numbers or something. If they won't do it for Dehya, traveler has no chance though.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Finished with the Archon quest. Overall pretty great, even though I felt Part 1 was more interesting than Part 2.

Characters are interesting. Really like Neuvilette but those leaked animations of his will propably make me stay away from him.

Pejo

I'm not upset about the dolphin dive thing. It's such a minor ability that most people probably wouldn't even notice. It hardly affects gameplay and all players get at least two characters that can do it, assuming they never pull for anyone else. I guess they just wanted to give Fontaine characters a bit more flavor and this is one of the least offensive ways to do that, so I'm okay with it.
Disagree. Plus companies have been shown that you give them an inch, they take a mile. Imagine if in Sumeru you could only use Sumeru characters to use the grapple stars. And before you say, "that's not the same thing!" it's just a time saving way to exit the water like grapple stars are a time-saving way to traverse the area. Compare dolphin jumping onto land vs. surfacing normally then using the slow ass regular swim to swim to the edge of the water and walk/climb out. Fontaine characters already have built in Ousia/Pneuma as an exclusive, they didn't need to gate a traversal mechanism behind ONLY new characters.
Don't get the outrage about the hydro traveler either. That character is more like an obligation at this point. No one actually uses them. People suddenly pretending like this matters is like getting uppity for the sake of it to me. I'd rather they save their good ideas for future characters that people might actually care about.

But well, I do get that if you're gonna make a kit you might as well make it viable. Just tweak some numbers or something. If they won't do it for Dehya, traveler has no chance though.
I more or less agree with this. Nobody expected much out of Hydro Traveler, but I was kinda hoping for a semi-competent Hydro application or healing or whatever. They do a bit of HP% based party healing at C6, but there was no real reason to make them THAT bad. More than numbers or function though, the skill just feels absolutely awful to use. It does a slight zoom and the aiming is all fucked up if the enemy is closer than a few meters from you, which they always will be since they are attacking.

Plus companies have been shown that you give them an inch, they take a mile.
You're not wrong. I'm just saving my energy for things that actually matter to me.

Imagine if in Sumeru you could only use Sumeru characters to use the grapple stars. And before you say, "that's not the same thing!" it's just a time saving way to exit the water like grapple stars are a time-saving way to traverse the area. Compare dolphin jumping onto land vs. surfacing normally then using the slow ass regular swim to swim to the edge of the water and walk/climb out. Fontaine characters already have built in Ousia/Pneuma as an exclusive, they didn't need to gate a traversal mechanism behind ONLY new characters.
Those grapple stars are integral to exploration and level design. I don't think this diving ability is on the same level at all, but I understand what you mean. I guess I don't value the ability as much as you. Yeah it saves a second or two, but I don't feel like I'm constantly emerging that it makes a huge difference.

Mona should have the diving ability too. She's technically from Fontaine too, right? And I guess it doesn't make sense for Kokomi not to be able to do it either. Maybe it should be on a per character basis rather than according to release.

But I still encourage these little things that set characters apart. I have more of an issue with Ousia and Pneuma than with this because that actually affects the combat in the end game.

More than numbers or function though, the skill just feels absolutely awful to use. It does a slight zoom and the aiming is all fucked up if the enemy is closer than a few meters from you, which they always will be since they are attacking.
The skill actually seemed pretty cool. They should've polished it and given it to a cooler character. Maybe Clorinde can have a run 'n gun ability that builds on this.

Pejo

The skill actually seemed pretty cool. They should've polished it and given it to a cooler character. Maybe Clorinde can have a run 'n gun ability that builds on this.
Well Neuvi's skill is basically the same thing and you can move while using it. A channeled water canon instead of our :messenger_grinning:👉💦💦💦💦

Pejo

So I got Lynette to 90 today. It's pretty shitty trying to rush max out a character, especially in a new area where you're not sitting on hundreds of the regional materials.

You guys are using Sac Sword on her right? I don't see anything else particularly better with how useful/good her skill is. Maybe once you hit C4 and get the extra charge. She's definitely slower than Yelan but still has a lot of the upsides where her stamina recharges while she's running with her skill. Had a nice VV set waiting for her, so she's actually been pretty useful regardless of her stats. Her burst is pretty great too, as long as you get it to infuse the correct elementl. Lots of pulses for swirl/VV apply and also nice application of the infused element. I'd argue it's probably the 3rd best Anemo Burst behind Venti (when his succ works on the enemies) and Jean.

*edit*

Whoops, 4th best, forgot about Kaz.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I find the whole Ousia/Pneuma ok, I guess?

As someone who doesn't give two shits about clearing floor 12, I can still zap throw everything in the world with my team so, I'm fine with it.

I honestly thought it would impact way more than it does.

Last edited:
So I got Lynette to 90 today. It's pretty shitty trying to rush max out a character, especially in a new area where you're not sitting on hundreds of the regional materials.

You guys are using Sac Sword on her right? I don't see anything else particularly better with how useful/good her skill is. Maybe once you hit C4 and get the extra charge. She's definitely slower than Yelan but still has a lot of the upsides where her stamina recharges while she's running with her skill. Had a nice VV set waiting for her, so she's actually been pretty useful regardless of her stats. Her burst is pretty great too, as long as you get it to infuse the correct elementl. Lots of pulses for swirl/VV apply and also nice application of the infused element. I'd argue it's probably the 3rd best Anemo Burst behind Venti (when his succ works on the enemies) and Jean.
I got her to lvl 80 with 6/6/6 talents. Gonna get her to 8/8/8 and I'll consider her finished at that point. She's okay, but her skill only attacking one enemy is disappointmenting. I thought I'd be able to swirl all opponents by marking them, but that's not how it works. Guess that's what sets a 4-star apart from a 5-star like Yelan. I've also had it happen a few times that her skill ends up not hitting anything because enemies move away. Feels pretty bad.

Her burst is cool though. Very unique. The taunt technically groups enemies together, sort of, but I still prefer abilities that suck enemies in.

I'm also using Sac Sword. Her skill actually deals decent damage so having two charges and solving energy issues at the same time is great.

Fuz

Banned
I find the whole Ousia/Pneuma ok, I guess?

As someone who doesn't give two shits about clearing floor 12, I can still zap throw everything in the world with my team so, I'm fine with it.

I honestly thought it would impact way more than it does.
For now.

No fucking way I'm building Lynette, she feels trash while playing. Her skill is like Yelan's but slower, shorter, gets stuck on enemy hitboxes, and she has no grouping as an anemo character. I see all my leaks on the reddit leak sub, and I'm not really impressed by Neuvillette or Wriothesley which helps me save for Clorinde, Furina, and Navia (if she isn't shit). I might pull for Neuvillette on a rerun if Furina creates his damage orbs just like Traveler. I'm getting to the point I don't really care much for pulling new characters when I already have so many teams to choose from. And I don't feel pressured by the Ousia/Pneuma mechanic when Abyss is not something that interests me much.

I got the chance to play the Archon Quest and OMFG it was actually the best X.0 AQ we ever had. The characters were interesting, the plot and dialogue entertaining, and the murder mystery/whodunit approach was much more involving than your run-of-the-mill talk-a-lot and do nothing fetch quests. The finale was satisfying enough, with the Childe bit being obvious why he was found guilty if you know about Arlechinno/House of Hearth, and that she is from Fontaine. Neuvillette will be a mystery for the unaware or those who don't give a shit about the plot but HoYo is not a little bit subtle with the hints of what or who he's supposed to be, especially after Kokomi clears up the community's suspicions about her origins during the Secret Summer Paradise event.

I'm quite surprised I liked everyone involved in the 4.0 AQ. Childe played his role and sets up the Fatui plot for the upcoming patches. Lyney and Lynette had enough spotlight to make them relevant for what's to come as well, especially their relationship with Arlechinno. Neuvillette and Furina will tie up the creation of the Oratrice Mecanique d'Analyse Cardinale, the Melusines, and the Fontaine Prophecy. Navia was actually useful most of the time she was on screen, and Clorinde will probably be what Kujo Sara should have been as the archon's right-hand woman.

I'm liking Fontaine a lot more than Sumeru and Inazuma, we had a resolution of the current plot thread of the murder mystery and moved on to more important matters. Oh, and before I forget. Underwater exploration is actually FUN and has not many recycled ideas from previous regions. Props to HoYo on this one.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I did a single pull and got Dehya, is she any good? I have Xiangling in my party now as my Pyro character.

Dregnel

I did a single pull and got Dehya, is she any good? I have Xiangling in my party now as my Pyro character.
i use her with a tower build, yae+nahida+dehya, it's fun watching the monster fly everywhere and they can't touch you.
she is not very good and she got a lot of bad reviews when she came out but I found her place in those compositions.

I got her to lvl 80 with 6/6/6 talents. Gonna get her to 8/8/8 and I'll consider her finished at that point. She's okay, but her skill only attacking one enemy is disappointmenting. I thought I'd be able to swirl all opponents by marking them, but that's not how it works. Guess that's what sets a 4-star apart from a 5-star like Yelan. I've also had it happen a few times that her skill ends up not hitting anything because enemies move away. Feels pretty bad.

Her burst is cool though. Very unique. The taunt technically groups enemies together, sort of, but I still prefer abilities that suck enemies in.

I'm also using Sac Sword. Her skill actually deals decent damage so having two charges and solving energy issues at the same time is great.
I was thinking about using her as a strictly off-field support unit since her burst picks up elements. Not worth it?

Edit
jshackles jshackles
Lucky! I hear she’s not very good, but I want her so bad. If I could I trade you my 2 Dilucs.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
especially after Kokomi clears up the community's suspicions about her origins during the Secret Summer Paradise event.
I don't remember
cikYa.gif

Elucidate me plz
She sucks but she looks good.
You can make anything work, but I suggest you don't invest too much on her.

Last edited:
I was thinking about using her as a strictly off-field support unit since her burst picks up elements. Not worth it?

Edit
jshackles jshackles
Lucky! I hear she’s not very good, but I want her so bad. If I could I trade you my 2 Dilucs.
Dehya is probably one of the worst characters in the game. Her kit itself is interesting but her numbers and gameplay feel is BAD. She lacks damage, her utility is that she takes damage off-field so your on-field characters gain more survivability but HoYo scuffed it. She has a passive which reduces damage taken by your on-field unit where she absorbs 50% of the damage taken to her, and transforms the shared value into a DoT (damage over time) instance (I.e. You take 10k damage from an enemy under the effect of her passive, she splits the damage and you take 5k and Dehya the other 5k over 10 seconds in 10 different instances of 500 damage per second).

Her kit does something unique in the game, but rather useless. Well, until Fontaine dropped, because there seems to be a lot of "lose X health, gains X buff" with characters/weapons/artifact sets. However, her kit is still pretty niche/useless when instead you could be running a shielder or healer support. Another problem is that Dehya can get her life lower enough to her passive stop working to prevent her from dying, which at that point she stops mitigating damage at all. It's pretty convoluted and useless compared to the myriad of characters there are out there.

Last edited:
I don't remember
cikYa.gif

Elucidate me plz
It was speculated by the community Kokomi could be the reincarnated Hydro Sovereign Dragon which was an enemy of the people who lived in Enkanomiya and adored Orobashi. In the Secret Summer Event, Klee jokingly asks if Kokomi wasn't something more than human, which she affirms being not but human. Now Neuvillette was uncovered to be said reincarnation, and that's why his profile says "???" for the Affiliation and Vision segment

• Treasure

Fuz

Banned
It was speculated by the community Kokomi could be the reincarnated Hydro Sovereign Dragon which was an enemy of the people who lived in Enkanomiya and adored Orobashi. In the Secret Summer Event, Klee jokingly asks if Kokomi wasn't something more than human, which she affirms being not but human. Now Neuvillette was uncovered to be said reincarnation, and that's why his profile says "???" for the Affiliation and Vision segment
Doesn't Neuvillette being the hydro dragon rules out Kakkomi being it herself?

Doesn't Neuvillette being the hydro dragon rules out Kakkomi being it herself?
It does. But it's like we are time travelers here. At the time of Secrete Summer Vacation we didn't have any relevant info about Fontaine and Kokomi shot that idea down on the first day the event dropped. She was the most likely candidate at the time because of her connections with Enkanomiya, her Hydro Powers and High-ranking position of a "Divine Priestess", and her constellation being the Sleeping Dragon - Dracaena Somnolenta. Now we got the confirmation of Neuvillette so, at least, 2 (or 3) out of 7 Sovereigns are known. Azhdaha is speculated to be the Geo Sovereign, but there is no confirmation besides him being much older than the world/land in the Chinese localization. Dvalin is not the Anemo Sovereign, he is too young and weak for that. Apep (the giant snake-like Dragon, not the boss who is its guardian) from the 2nd Nahida Story Quest is the Dendro One. Cryo, Electro, Pyro, and Anemo are all up in the air for now.

I should stop being such a nerd sometimes hahaha

Last edited:
  • Surprised

Nankatsu

Gold Member
It does. But it's like we are time travelers here. At the time of Secrete Summer Vacation we didn't have any relevant info about Fontaine and Kokomi shot that idea down on the first day the event dropped. She was the most likely candidate at the time because of her connections with Enkanomiya, her Hydro Powers and High-ranking position of a "Divine Priestess", and her constellation being the Sleeping Dragon - Dracaena Somnolenta. Now we got the confirmation of Neuvillette so, at least, 2 (or 3) out of 7 Sovereigns are known. Azhdaha is speculated to be the Geo Sovereign, but there is no confirmation besides him being much older than the world/land in the Chinese localization. Dvalin is not the Anemo Sovereign, he is too young and weak for that. Apep (the giant snake-like Dragon, not the boss who is its guardian) from the 2nd Nahida Story Quest is the Dendro One. Cryo, Electro, Pyro, and Anemo are all up in the air for now.

I should stop being such a nerd sometimes hahaha
This man genshins.

Ice Cube Movie GIF

Fuz

Banned
It's amazing how people in co-op don't understand the basics of team building. :pie_thinking:

WHAT I LEARNED SO FAR FROM MY MANY CO-OP GAMES
- Anyone named "Aether" or "Lumine" is a complete moron.
- Anyone with "Aether" or "Lumine" avatar is a complete moron.
- Russians are quite often very toxic, uncooperative and the worst kind of stupid.
- Asian players are the best ones.
- Hu Tao is just shit, or maybe all of her players are shit. 99% of the times they just die because LOL MUH DMG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom