• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 5.0 (Natlan) - Everything Changed When the Fire Nation Arrived

Nankatsu

I'm currently doing the whole sidequest of the ancient underwater kingdom.

Story is decent-ish but the settings themselves are fucking gorgeous.

Quite surprised to be honest.

Fontaine just hits different in this game.

Pejo

Gold Member
Are they updating the standard banner in any way?
Not updating standard, but there's a new 'extra' pity system in place on the limited character banners. If you lose the 50/50, it does a 2nd behind the scenes roll at a 10%/90% that you win the 50/50. It's explained by InterMusketeer InterMusketeer and an image chart I posted 2 pages ago.
So Xilonen is a blacksmith. I'd like it if she was the actual blacksmith we can go to in Natlan.

There were some rumors Iansan might be included in 5.1 as a 4-star, but I guess those were wrong. Feels a bit lacking to have only one new character in 5.1, but I guess it makes some sense to leave that for 5.2 when they release new areas/tribes. I hope this means she isn't a standard 5-star. Can't imagine them releasing only one character with the reduced value of being a standard.
Confirmed (by a leaker, so take with a grain of salt) that she is not going to Standard banner.
AOlRQH4.png

*edit*

Final results of new OT Title Poll:
ZPG0nT7.jpeg

LegendOfKage LegendOfKage please link post 29,556 (below this one) in the OP when you get a minute.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
eo0oyon.jpeg

Genshin Impact 5.0 (Natlan) events and information

h3kJcg6.png

New Players
Please read the OP. There is also a great starter guide below to answer a lot of early questions. The regulars in the thread are very helpful and mostly nice people, so don't hesitate to ask about whatever. There is going on 5 years worth of content, so it's ok to be a bit overwhelmed, especially at first. HoYo has made some inroads to make the new player experience better than it's ever been since launch, starting in this version.
New Player Guide (Game8)

wr36Qr6.png

Game Tools
Character Tier List (highly subjective) and build information here. Clicking a character in the list will take you to a new page with popular build information like weapons/gear/suggestions on leveling priority.
Character Tier List (Game8)

Good Database Site for more in-depth character information:
Genshin Impact Database (Honey Impact)

Stylish Character Showcase Tool, rules on the site with how it works:
Character Showcase Tool (enka.network)

Self-Reported Wish Tracking and other useful tools:
Wish Tracker and Other Tools (paimon.moe)

Official Interactive Map (can login with HoYoVerse account to personalize/save pins):
Official In-Game Map (HoYoLab)

HoYoLab (HoYoVerse's social media and game platform, daily check-in available for daily rewards as well as events/news/information)
HoYoLab

ili3DJC.png
Official Events
4PJx1M1.png

(click to expand)

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
New Mualani character trailer. To be honest, this is the most fun the game has looked in a long time. Wonder if that shark surfing in the sky is a minigame?

*edit*

Changes to Imaginarium (official):
0ao6tpcab4ld1.jpg

Last edited:

SSfox

I'm currently doing the whole sidequest of the ancient underwater kingdom.

Story is decent-ish but the settings themselves are fucking gorgeous.

Quite surprised to be honest.

Fontaine just hits different in this game.

Yeah some places are insane beautiful. People talk shit a lot about Genshin that has no clue about what the game actually offers is quite amusing.

Crimsondusk

Ok, Poll for new OT title is up. I'll give it until Tuesday before messaging a mod to have them move/rename the thread for us. Please vote by Tuesday evening. (8/27/2024). I also added an "other" option that should let you fill in answers and others can see/vote for those as well. Lurkers are encouraged to vote as well.

I'll work on making a Summary of the new shit post, like I did last year.
Sry, i miss this. Was pretty busy on the weekend but the one I would have voted on won.

Pejo

Gold Member
Man getting Mualani was some of the worst luck I've ever had. lost 50/50 at 80~ pity and went back to 80 again to get her, and only got 2 copies of Kachina along the way. Woof.

Lots of Bennet dupes that I wish I could toss in a grinder.

*edit*

Interesting...
7x74v9.jpeg

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Am I insane, or is Kachina a lot more fun and easier to play than Mualani? The shark hits so damn slow, but you can bunny hop in Kachina's drill thing like a normal auto attack speed, but with huge AoE. I must be missing something with Mualani.

Nankatsu

I regret not going for Yelans C1 now… : (

The new characters traversal skills suck lol way slower then I thought they be.

Ooof really?

I'll be honest, reason I'm targeting Kinich first is because his gameplay style is more similar to Wuthering Waves. I know, I know...

The grapple hook trasversal is insanely obvious, and his gameplay style is kind-ish a dodge mechanic.

It will make the game more comfy to me.

Last edited:
Looks like we can buy crowns from starglitter shop starting this version
Seems pretty expensive. You can buy a ten pull for that amount.

I regret not going for Yelans C1 now… : (

The new characters traversal skills suck lol way slower then I thought they be.
Really? I think Mualani is a lot of fun in the open world. She can jump and sprint on her surfboard, and the base movement speed is faster too. Her stamina is very low outside of Natlan though, making her nigh useless there.

Man getting Mualani was some of the worst luck I've ever had. lost 50/50 at 80~ pity and went back to 80 again to get her, and only got 2 copies of Kachina along the way. Woof.
That sucks, and at such an important time too. I hope you can recover before Mavuika.

I lost the 50/50 to Keqing at 77 pity, but was able to get Mualani 25 wishes later. I was hoping I'd see that capturing radiance event, but no such luck. Makes sense, this would only happen once for every 9 lost 50/50s. In that sense I feel like this mechanic is not gonna make much of a difference for individual players.

I also got 2 Kachinas, but I pulled a couple times after getting the 5-star to get her to C3. Doesn't look like Xilonen's banner is gonna be any interesting anyway. But yeah, so many Bennetts. I got 4 copies of him here. Piss off already.

Interesting...
7x74v9.jpeg
Sounds fresh. I actually wanted to get more value out of my C6 Faruzan though. Oh well.

Am I insane, or is Kachina a lot more fun and easier to play than Mualani? The shark hits so damn slow, but you can bunny hop in Kachina's drill thing like a normal auto attack speed, but with huge AoE. I must be missing something with Mualani.
Kachina is more button mashy. Mualani requires you to bide your time by marking opponents. She's also on a more strict time limit, though that is alleviated slightly with her ascension passive.

I think I played genshin a few years ago for a few hours but loging back in is so overwhelming u have no idea what to do and where to go
Yeah, they add a lot of content to keep people entertained. It can be overwhelming. But for this new update, the developers have added a function where you can immediately access the newest area and story content. Might want to try that for now to keep things simple.

Really? I think Mualani is a lot of fun in the open world. She can jump and sprint on her surfboard, and the base movement speed is faster too. Her stamina is very low outside of Natlan though, making her nigh useless there.

That sucks, and at such an important time too. I hope you can recover before Mavuika.

I lost the 50/50 to Keqing at 77 pity, but was able to get Mualani 25 wishes later. I was hoping I'd see that capturing radiance event, but no such luck. Makes sense, this would only happen once for every 9 lost 50/50s. In that sense I feel like this mechanic is not gonna make much of a difference for individual players.

I also got 2 Kachinas, but I pulled a couple times after getting the 5-star to get her to C3. Doesn't look like Xilonen's banner is gonna be any interesting anyway. But yeah, so many Bennetts. I got 4 copies of him here. Piss off already.

Sounds fresh. I actually wanted to get more value out of my C6 Faruzan though. Oh well.

Kachina is more button mashy. Mualani requires you to bide your time by marking opponents. She's also on a more strict time limit, though that is alleviated slightly with her ascension passive.

Yeah, they add a lot of content to keep people entertained. It can be overwhelming. But for this new update, the developers have added a function where you can immediately access the newest area and story content. Might want to try that for now to keep things simple.
No freaking idea what's the new content tbh I actually gave it a fair shot for a few hours today since it's coming to Xbox aswell but the overwhelming content is just confusing

No freaking idea what's the new content tbh I actually gave it a fair shot for a few hours today since it's coming to Xbox aswell but the overwhelming content is just confusing
The quest should be called 'new adventure in Natlan' or something to that effect. You can also just check the current temporary events and see where those take you.

deanote666

Not sure I like how quests are triggering.

I'm mostly running around, trying to live my life and keep triggering random things. I had to talk to some llamas and then report back to a NPC I've never seen before. It acted as though that was the natural progression of the quest.

Wish these things would trigger in order.

Nankatsu

Apparently they changed the stellar reunion requirements.

It seems Mihoyo disabled stellar reunion a little under 2 weeks before 5.0 so that people could get on and grind the 4.x content to be 5.0 ready without sacrificing stellar reunion once it was re-enabled on 5.0.

This is pretty POG.

Pejo

Gold Member
Well I just pulled an all-nighter doing the archon quests. REALLY impressed with Natlan overall. The archon quest flow/pacing was phenomenal this time. Many major lore drops, nice character moments, great setup for future quests, and awesome cutscenes. Mavuika just climbed even higher on my personal tier list, you wouldn't even think that'd be possible. So good.

Also, she got the Eula treatment, not the Dehya treatment. Shaped and caked up. Cannot wait to pull for her. In general, fanservice for Natlan is much higher (while still sticking to CN "safe" standards).
i4BZAvd.jpeg

R Reizo Ryuu they gave me little crumbs and nods&winks from Himeko too. Check out this video (timestamped).

Well I just pulled an all-nighter doing the archon quests. REALLY impressed with Natlan overall. The archon quest flow/pacing was phenomenal this time. Many major lore drops, nice character moments, great setup for future quests, and awesome cutscenes. Mavuika just climbed even higher on my personal tier list, you wouldn't even think that'd be possible. So good.

Also, she got the Eula treatment, not the Dehya treatment. Shaped and caked up. Cannot wait to pull for her. In general, fanservice for Natlan is much higher (while still sticking to CN "safe" standards).
i4BZAvd.jpeg

R Reizo Ryuu they gave me little crumbs and nods&winks from Himeko too. Check out this video (timestamped).

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Himeko is dead, long live himeko

I don’t know, from her trial it didn’t seem any faster.

Pejo

Gold Member
Yea I would never buy it for 50, but it's nice to have the option. I only give crowns to my favorites anyways, strength be damned. (Amber sitting there waving at 10/13/13).
Yea the nefariousness of a 50/50 banner is that when you lose, you feel like you have used all those resources for nothing, so it makes you want to keep going whether or not you REALLY want the character just so you don't come out at a total loss with nothing to show for it. Fucking hate gacha psychology.
Yea seems more like a whale mechanic/pity with some nice bumps rarely for standard players.
I think you play with JP audio, but in my opinion they didn't choose correctly for Casca's EN VA. The only real "miss" for me out of the new cast so far.
Yea I guess the frustrating thing, for me, with Mualani is that her attacks have a LONG mandatory cooldown while shark'd up. So you bump into them like Yelan to mark them, but then can only do one attack every 2-3 seconds which feels bad to play. I can only imagine it feels worse in timed content like Abyss. She might be cracked out if you min/max artifacts for her, but as we all know, that's not my style. I won't be going any further with her for now. Still, her traversal in Natlan WOULD have been worth it if I wouldn't have gotten fucked on pulls. She's fun to zip around on as long as you have that fire gauge available to supplement her short-as-fuck elemental skill gauge. I wonder if Sac Fragments book will reset her skill gauge if you use it outside of Natlan? I'll have to try it.
Xilonen got some mooth animations.
Her burst animation is kinda short, though I guess that's a good thing.

Feels like she got Albedo'd in that they fucked up her hair in the playable/3D model. She looked so poofy and soft in the art, and then her model looks like she has stringy hard hair. With all of the new flavor and idle animations Natlan characters have, I thought they'd do better with that part. The ZZZ team managed to make hair not look like a helmet, so I was hopeful here. Could also just be that this is a beta leak and the animations for her hair aren't done yet, so I won't be too pessimistic. Her skating animations are fucking smooth as hell though. She otherwise looks great.
I don’t know, from her trial it didn’t seem any faster.
To me, the advantage is only really there for Natlan. She gets essentially triple the riding time in Natlan than she gets outside, and she can go over water/land/fairy dust trails very smoothly and quickly. It feels good to traverse that way. It's also cool that both Natlan characters so far let you switch out while gliding/climbing, something no other characters in other regions allow for. Mualani seems built more for traversal, Xilonen looks built for speed, so she's probably a better comparison for Yelan. It's definitely faster than even a standard character's sprint though.

Won 50/50 at 28 pulls and got Mualani C1. Need more of her ascension plant though.

Got 2 copies of the new 4* too.
iu

How far did you make it when you first tried it, and where are you currently in the game? Still in Mondstadt? It's probably worth it to do that area first just to get your bearings of game systems and whatnot, since that area was literally designed as a tutorial for the rest of the game.

Yea I would never buy it for 50, but it's nice to have the option. I only give crowns to my favorites anyways, strength be damned. (Amber sitting there waving at 10/13/13).

Yea the nefariousness of a 50/50 banner is that when you lose, you feel like you have used all those resources for nothing, so it makes you want to keep going whether or not you REALLY want the character just so you don't come out at a total loss with nothing to show for it. Fucking hate gacha psychology.

Yea seems more like a whale mechanic/pity with some nice bumps rarely for standard players.

I think you play with JP audio, but in my opinion they didn't choose correctly for Casca's EN VA. The only real "miss" for me out of the new cast so far.

Yea I guess the frustrating thing, for me, with Mualani is that her attacks have a LONG mandatory cooldown while shark'd up. So you bump into them like Yelan to mark them, but then can only do one attack every 2-3 seconds which feels bad to play. I can only imagine it feels worse in timed content like Abyss. She might be cracked out if you min/max artifacts for her, but as we all know, that's not my style. I won't be going any further with her for now. Still, her traversal in Natlan WOULD have been worth it if I wouldn't have gotten fucked on pulls. She's fun to zip around on as long as you have that fire gauge available to supplement her short-as-fuck elemental skill gauge. I wonder if Sac Fragments book will reset her skill gauge if you use it outside of Natlan? I'll have to try it.

Feels like she got Albedo'd in that they fucked up her hair in the playable/3D model. She looked so poofy and soft in the art, and then her model looks like she has stringy hard hair. With all of the new flavor and idle animations Natlan characters have, I thought they'd do better with that part. The ZZZ team managed to make hair not look like a helmet, so I was hopeful here. Could also just be that this is a beta leak and the animations for her hair aren't done yet, so I won't be too pessimistic. Her skating animations are fucking smooth as hell though. She otherwise looks great.

To me, the advantage is only really there for Natlan. She gets essentially triple the riding time in Natlan than she gets outside, and she can go over water/land/fairy dust trails very smoothly and quickly. It feels good to traverse that way. It's also cool that both Natlan characters so far let you switch out while gliding/climbing, something no other characters in other regions allow for. Mualani seems built more for traversal, Xilonen looks built for speed, so she's probably a better comparison for Yelan. It's definitely faster than even a standard character's sprint though.

iu

How far did you make it when you first tried it, and where are you currently in the game? Still in Mondstadt? It's probably worth it to do that area first just to get your bearings of game systems and whatnot, since that area was literally designed as a tutorial for the rest of the game.
Im like lvl 28 and I still think the 2nd area after monstad I got a notification that I got a free 5 star charter in update 5 tons of new currency went in game and there was no place to redeem it

deanote666

Im like lvl 28 and I still think the 2nd area after monstad I got a notification that I got a free 5 star charter in update 5 tons of new currency went in game and there was no place to redeem it
Unless there's a minimum AR requirement to be eligible, it is in the event menu in the top right of the screen.

Been working a lot on Mualani today. Since her Talent book domain is open, I've burned a lot of resin to get her up to snuff. I also did a bunch of runs in the new artifact domain, spending hundreds if not thousands of resin, with little to show for it.

Now I'm continuing the story, to where you go to the Hydro tribe. I can't believe they referenced something that happened all the way back in Mondstadt.

I don't usually get tempted like that. In my mind, some characters are worth the extra pulls whereas some aren't. Navia is worth 160 wishes, but Kokomi isn't, for example. If I lose the 50/50 on those lower value characters, I'll just hold on to my guarantee until something better comes around. It's probably a bit subjective, but that's how I keep myself in check.

I'm too big of a weeb to try EN audio. Also, JP audio has actual well-known professional actors, the EN side of things is left with enthusiasts and streamers. The quality just ain't the same.

To me it's kinda relaxing in a way. You're just zooming around, marking enemies. There's already so many characters where you just spam buttons, this feels like a nice change of pace. But I could see how some might not like it.

As for her traversal, she definitely feels best when there's a bunch of sources of energy around. The normal duration feels rather short, and although her CDs are short too, you just want to spend all your time on the board. I also don't understand why she drains night soul points and lava energy while stationary. Those should only go down when moving. Same when you glide and that energy still drains mid-air. I haven't tried Sac Frags, but it sounds interesting.

jonnyXx

Did I miss it or does no one ever speak Mavuika's name? I wanted to hear how they pronounce it but I finished the archon quests today and didn't hear it once.

Pejo

Gold Member
Did I miss it or does no one ever speak Mavuika's name? I wanted to hear how they pronounce it but I finished the archon quests today and didn't hear it once.
Bro I was wondering the same thing. Like I binged both archon quests in the first night, so I didn't know if it was just sleep deprivation or what, but I didn't remember a single character saying her name...

So the 5* character is in one of the in-game event screens. You go in, hit X on the menu then it will let you select one that goes straight to your inventory. The currency should be going to your mailbox directly, and there is more coming up when the actual "anniversary" starts. When that happens, there will also be a tab of the events screen where you go to click the reward each day. You should also be getting returner bonuses, but I've never gotten those before so I don't know how they're distributed.

As far as progress, it sounds like you're in Liyue, which I consider to be the most boring area in the entire game. Maybe it would be worth just skipping ahead and doing the limited time stuff in Natlan, plus you'd get to play around with the dinosaurs and see how improved the game is since the early areas. Can you post a screencap of your map (zoomed all the way out) and your quest page?

In other news, Keq and Zhongli's happy trails. Kinda boring honestly, I still think QiQi has the best one. But I'll probably get Keq's next because I use her more often.

Last edited:

Yamisan

I just came back yesterday, I took probably more than a year off. I'm still in the last zone where the 2 siblings had the "murder mystery" at the magic show. I finished that up and was wondering if anyone knows about how long it would take me to catch up story wise if I just go through it ? Even though I haven't played in so long it seems my characters gear won't be an issue, I was able to increase my world level with no issues. I'm assuming they just added the new world level? I managed to win my 50/50 and got Mualani after only 3 single pulls at pity 0 :D. I see they made farming weapons much easier so I may actually go for Surfs Up since I love her style.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
I just came back yesterday, I took probably more than a year off. I'm still in the last zone where the 2 siblings had the "murder mystery" at the magic show. I finished that up and was wondering if anyone knows about how long it would take me to catch up story wise if I just go through it ? Even though I haven't played in so long it seems my characters gear won't be an issue, I was able to increase my world level with no issues. I'm assuming they just added the new world level?
You can just skip directly to the new area and start there, if I recall. There are no spoilers and very little references to Fontaine other than "so you've been to Fontaine". But if you want to finish the Fontaine archon quests before going to Natlan, probably 5-6 hours? If you're mashing and not reading the dialogue, obviously less, but it's good enough of a story to read it, IMO.

Yamisan

You can just skip directly to the new area and start there, if I recall. There are no spoilers and very little references to Fontaine other than "so you've been to Fontaine". But if you want to finish the Fontaine archon quests before going to Natlan, probably 5-6 hours? If you're mashing and not reading the dialogue, obviously less, but it's good enough of a story to read it, IMO.
You can skip the story now? I didn't notice this when I was last on. I kinda wanna play it as I miss the game but Paimon is turning me into an irl alcoholic. Ty for the estimate though, lol. I gave up after years of HI3rd so I guess I'll replace it with this game once again.

Pejo

Gold Member
You can skip the story now? I didn't notice this when I was last on. I kinda wanna play it as I miss the game but Paimon is turning me into an irl alcoholic. Ty for the estimate though, lol. I gave up after years of HI3rd so I guess I'll replace it with this game once again.
I'm surprised you lasted this long with HI3. I was a GLB launch player for that game and kept playing through the ultra-disrespectful bunny anniversary incident. Part 2 absolutely broke me though. They doubled down on the shit pseudo-science technobabble, made a bunch of uninteresting and unlikable characters, and just ruined the game. I saw that the next version in CN is making Vita playable and FINALLY bringing Kiana into part 2 gameplay, but too little/too late for me. They should have never done the Mars shit, and just transferred directly into APHO3. I liked Adam/Carole/Timido as starting characters for a new story, and the gameplay (Custom combo DMC-like) was way better than 'do your rotations but this time with a jump button and extra gacha' that Part 2 ended up being. Sorry for the rant, but HI3 was one of the worst handlings of a beloved IP that I've ever seen. Like who even is Part 2 for?

*edit*

Somebody on reddit posted their first results with that new gadget that lets you pick substats on artifacts, lmao.
3lt0o2muanld1.png

Last edited:
Bro I was wondering the same thing. Like I binged both archon quests in the first night, so I didn't know if it was just sleep deprivation or what, but I didn't remember a single character saying her name...
Pretty sure everyone just calls her Archon, or Kami in JP. They might say her name in some of the character voice lines, but I haven't unlocked those yet. I'm assuming it's Mah-Voo-Ee-Kah.

I'm not completely done with the quest yet, but man is it a breath of fresh air. Characters feel more fleshed out, they're given things to do in the story, there might be a tad more gameplay even. I'm especially impressed with the Archon. Thinking of it, we haven't had a 'normal' Archon in a while. Zhongli hid his identity, Shogun was a villain who was mostly absent, Nahida was trapped and Furina was also hiding the truth. Mavuika actually does things and is present and in control. Feels good man. I appreciate the zipper that goes all the way to her crotch.

I also wanted to add that Chasca's behind is quite nice and shiny too:
Generally, the characters look great. But I will say I'm a bit disappointed in the cleavage for Mavuika and Chasca. It seems they had to blur the textures quite a bit to get them to pass the censors. Just look at the difference between Lumine and Mavuika here:

Pejo

Gold Member
Pretty sure everyone just calls her Archon, or Kami in JP. They might say her name in some of the character voice lines, but I haven't unlocked those yet. I'm assuming it's Mah-Voo-Ee-Kah.
I don't think it's coincidence, but I have a theory about that. Regardless, it's good that more people noticed.
I'm not completely done with the quest yet, but man is it a breath of fresh air. Characters feel more fleshed out, they're given things to do in the story, there might be a tad more gameplay even. I'm especially impressed with the Archon. Thinking of it, we haven't had a 'normal' Archon in a while. Zhongli hid his identity, Shogun was a villain who was mostly absent, Nahida was trapped and Furina was also hiding the truth. Mavuika actually does things and is present and in control. Feels good man. I appreciate the zipper that goes all the way to her crotch.
Yea glad somebody else picked up on this. The flow of the quests were phenomenal this time. It actually felt like a proper AAA game in pacing and storytelling. All of the key players were relevant, and we didn't spend hours doing favors for nobody NPCs. They weaved in and out of the story for disposable parts, but were still relevant even then. Really grade A stuff.
Yea all of the women this time are a big improvement over Fontaine stuff, in my opinion at least. Very happy to see it.
Generally, the characters look great. But I will say I'm a bit disappointed in the cleavage for Mavuika and Chasca. It seems they had to blur the textures quite a bit to get them to pass the censors. Just look at the difference between Lumine and Mavuika here:
That's a difference in lighting source and direction though. I had plenty of nice ogles at the cleavage. Trust that.

That's a difference in lighting source and direction though. I had plenty of nice ogles at the cleavage. Trust that.
I really don't think that's the case. I noticed it in multiple scenes and under multiple conditions. For example, here's Chasca:
It seems to me that the texture there should be much more vibrant. Obviously I'm limited in what I can capture in screenshots, or I'd do more accurate comparisons, but to me these are pretty clear examples. Let me know if you ever notice anything similar (or the complete opposite) in-game.

Ya she’s got nothing on Nicole.
It’s not even close lol

Top Bottom