• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 5.0 (Natlan) - Everything Changed When the Fire Nation Arrived

ap_puff

Neo Member
How the heck did you get neogaf to let you post a gif?

NDvrvP5.png

Pejo

So I realized the end of the week was quickly approaching and I wanted to unlock Natlan rep stuff like bounties and deliveries, so I did one of the world quests I stumbled into. I'm really impressed, the dinogremlin minigames and puzzles are a lot more fun than I was expecting. I did the one with the orange nails needing to be repaired to block the Abyss and the latter areas were really cool, with the way the floors and walls are constantly shifting and moving. I remembered that Kachina was supposedly able to climb pure plostrogen or whatever it's called with her drill, and sure enough it worked in that area. Felt like I was using a cheat, but oh well, it was a cool touch and some nice consistency as far as world lore. We're really learning a lot of background lore in the world quests already, and it's still early in Natlan.

Anyways, now that I have that stuff unlocked, I'm going to concentrate on going back to Fontaine and finishing up the world quests/character quests/exploration there. I know that if I keep putting it off, it's only going to get worse, so I need to do it while I'm still motivated. I really like Natlan in general so far. It feels very much like 2-3 nations wrapped up in one, which isn't a bad thing. Nightsoul mechanic is kinda stupid/worthless though. At least there's no HP fuckery with the characters/kits yet.

Also deanote666 deanote666 - you were worried about the new material finding feature making characters with specialty map icons obsolete, but they really do work well together. I'm not sure if it's Kachina or Mualani that have it, but it makes collecting their materials an absolute breeze in combination with the new "highlight an area" thing. I'm glad we continue to get good QoL fixes as time goes on in this game. My big wants as far as that's concerned now is 240+ max resin and the ability to do x4 Resin in a single domain run, just to make the daily chore shit even faster. Also to help with artifact farming.

*edit*

Nice.
harrlhcd4end1.jpg

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member
Finally got around to finishing the 5.0 archon quest.

Am I missing something or is there a gigantic f-ing plot hole?
where they fail to resurrect drill girl everyone's like oh shit that doesn't work anymore, and then at the end suddenly kachina just shows up and everyone's like oh hi again, you were dead but i guess not

Pejo

Finally got around to finishing the 5.0 archon quest.

Am I missing something or is there a gigantic f-ing plot hole?
where they fail to resurrect drill girl everyone's like oh shit that doesn't work anymore, and then at the end suddenly kachina just shows up and everyone's like oh hi again, you were dead but i guess not
Did you mash "continue" on the dialogue or something? It pretty much explains the whole thing.

Basically, Natlan has no leylines because of the Abyss fucking stuff up close to the surface. It corrupted the Wayobi which are like Natlan's replacement versions of leylines (holds character data) and prevented Kachina's resurrection the usual way. Traveler group went inside the Night Land or whatever, found her data, and purified one node of the Wayobi. Then Mavuika, sensing that shit was getting bad, punched through the curtain and brought them back at the expense of her collection/memories/data. To the people of Natlan, it just looks like Mavuika found her and brought her back, because they didn't know about Traveler and co.'s journey into Night Land. The archon going into the Night Land is how the process is usually done, so it's not a big deal that they eventually found her. The most important part is that people continue to supply the Contending Flame (and thus believe that the resurrection stuff still works) because without it the Abyss will just push through and overtake Natlan, since the true power of Pyro is nowhere to be found and they're using Contending Flame as a substitute. Basically Natlan as a nation is being held up by prosthetics and lies.

Reactions: BJK
So is there a basic guide if someone wants to start the game from scratch or hes 20 30lvl and now overwhelmed as fuck with what to do and what not to do

Pejo

So is there a basic guide if someone wants to start the game from scratch or hes 20 30lvl and now overwhelmed as fuck with what to do and what not to do
Welcome! Check out the OP and the 5.0 post I made here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gens...he-fire-nation-arrived.1568699/post-269490955

There's a guide linked for beginners, that's mostly all still true to this day:

If you have any particular questions or need any advice, feel free to ask in the thread.

sudolicious

Neo Member
Are you jumping back in with an account that's lvl 20 or 30 already? I'd understand being overwhelmed then. If you don't value that account (probably didn't pull any great characters yet?) I'd maybe recommend starting over. Or at least catching up and then switching back. Might honestly be the most simple and time saving solution.

Otherwise I'd recommend sticking with the Archon Quest line, basically the main story quest. Game will teach you anything you need to know along the way.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member
Did you mash "continue" on the dialogue or something? It pretty much explains the whole thing.

Basically, Natlan has no leylines because of the Abyss fucking stuff up close to the surface. It corrupted the Wayobi which are like Natlan's replacement versions of leylines (holds character data) and prevented Kachina's resurrection the usual way. Traveler group went inside the Night Land or whatever, found her data, and purified one node of the Wayobi. Then Mavuika, sensing that shit was getting bad, punched through the curtain and brought them back at the expense of her collection/memories/data. To the people of Natlan, it just looks like Mavuika found her and brought her back, because they didn't know about Traveler and co.'s journey into Night Land. The archon going into the Night Land is how the process is usually done, so it's not a big deal that they eventually found her. The most important part is that people continue to supply the Contending Flame (and thus believe that the resurrection stuff still works) because without it the Abyss will just push through and overtake Natlan, since the true power of Pyro is nowhere to be found and they're using Contending Flame as a substitute. Basically Natlan as a nation is being held up by prosthetics and lies.
The point is that no one ever thought to question how kachina magically reappeared after the public failure of their ritual, the whole problem posed by the public failure was a loss of trust in the traditions that they had built up, they never address it. Even if the people handwaved it away as Mavuika going back into the flames and finding her, it's still weird that NO ONE said anything about it, it's just like everyone forgot.

Pejo

The point is that no one ever thought to question how kachina magically reappeared after the public failure of their ritual, the whole problem posed by the public failure was a loss of trust in the traditions that they had built up, they never address it. Even if the people handwaved it away as Mavuika going back into the flames and finding her, it's still weird that NO ONE said anything about it, it's just like everyone forgot.
I think more than forgot, there was a sense of relief from the people. Everyone was on edge with the way the ceremony originally happened, and to have her back meant that the resurrection still works (to at least some degree). Plus after Mavuika basically blew up the colosseum in her fight with Capitano, I don't think anybody was eager to piss her off like those two troublemakers earlier in the story. I do get what you're saying though, they just kinda glazed over it and fast forwarded to the celebration. I'd assume there's still some unease with the people of Natlan but the writers obviously didn't feel like it was important to visit that in the main story at this time.

Its just assumed that everyone was probably informed offline with a redacted version of what happened and how she was brought back.

deanote666

kD9kGlR.jpeg

Also able to crit between 200000-460000 with her E skill level 6 with the team in the screenshot with off set artifacts.

Found some things that aren't on the interactive map. Hopefully it will work out eventually.

Last edited:

Pejo

Man, imagine if HoYo wasn't against us having fun and the cooldowns were this generous in the real game. She looks like a lot of fun to just explore with, but you just know it's gonna be long cooldowns and short durations, especially outside of Natlan.

jonnyXx

kD9kGlR.jpeg

Also able to crit between 200000-460000 with her E skill level 6 with the team in the screenshot with off set artifacts.

Found some things that aren't on the interactive map. Hopefully it will work out eventually.
I'm guessing that 460k is against a pyro slime cause you have no pyro character to enable vapes.

should I pick tighnari, who I don't have, or a dupe for someone else, like dehya?
Tighnari is a solid choice since there aren't many Dendro DPS characters in the game. He's arguably the most powerful standard 5-star too. But if you happen to have Alhaitham, Tighnari isn't really worth picking up. You might not enjoy his aimed shot gameplay either.

Dehya's cons are very strong, but you need a lot of them to make her (more) viable. Most other characters' cons from this line-up aren't that impactful. Jean has a neat C2 and C4 I believe, but that's about it.

ap_puff

Neo Member
Tighnari is a solid choice since there aren't many Dendro DPS characters in the game. He's arguably the most powerful standard 5-star too. But if you happen to have Alhaitham, Tighnari isn't really worth picking up. You might not enjoy his aimed shot gameplay either.

Dehya's cons are very strong, but you need a lot of them to make her (more) viable. Most other characters' cons from this line-up aren't that impactful. Jean has a neat C2 and C4 I believe, but that's about it.
Dehya goes from 2nd worst 5 star in the game after qiqi (and that means really really bad, basically a 3*) to the most powerful standard character at C6. Her gameplay sucks though, and she misses some of her combo attacks lol. Her kit design is one of the fails of the game

deanote666

I'm guessing that 460k is against a pyro slime cause you have no pyro character to enable vapes.
Natlan talent domain so might have been a vape.

Freaking Chimalli's Shade. Probably took 20 minutes to beat and several attempts. Took some pot shots at it's shield and then hid behind an ice pillar for dear life. Was sweating a few times when the pillar was next to the arena barrier and had 1 pixel of protection trying to get behind it. Had to break the shield 3 times and took 5+ minutes each time.

There's an achievement for defeating the polychrome tri-stars in a certain order and then defeating them all at the same time. Why do they hate us?

Edit: holy heck, there's achievements for defeating all of them 3 times, 2 requiring specific completion conditions.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member
Natlan talent domain so might have been a vape.

Freaking Chimalli's Shade. Probably took 20 minutes to beat and several attempts. Took some pot shots at it's shield and then hid behind an ice pillar for dear life. Was sweating a few times when the pillar was next to the arena barrier and had 1 pixel of protection trying to get behind it. Had to break the shield 3 times and took 5+ minutes each time.

There's an achievement for defeating the polychrome tri-stars in a certain order and then defeating them all at the same time. Why do they hate us?

Edit: holy heck, there's achievements for defeating all of them 3 times, 2 requiring specific completion conditions.
just have a zhongli lol

jonnyXx

You can freeze the bubbles and charge attack them to shoot them back at him. That takes out his shields pretty quickly.

I just completed all those achievements yesterday.
The tri-stars ones gave me the most trouble, had to retry quite a few times to get the one where you need to kill them all within 10 seconds of killing the first one. Kept getting screwed by their shields and the explosion when they die.

I actually had to cheese the second achievement for the turtle (Cocijo?) where you have to kill it before it puts up it's shield. Good luck with that one.

deanote666

just have a zhongli lol
Have him C6. A lot of the local legends eat through his shield. Chimalli's cannon goes through it in 0.5 seconds.

You can freeze the bubbles and charge attack them to shoot them back at him. That takes out his shields pretty quickly.

I just completed all those achievements yesterday.
The tri-stars ones gave me the most trouble, had to retry quite a few times to get the one where you need to kill them all within 10 seconds of killing the first one. Kept getting screwed by their shields and the explosion when they die.

I actually had to cheese the second achievement for the turtle (Cocijo?) where you have to kill it before it puts up it's shield. Good luck with that one.
Tried regular attacks on the bubbles but they didn't move. Haven't fought the ice cube in over a year so I didn't think of it. The cannon party wiping me if I wasn't behind a pillar shifted my focus after that.

The tri-stars are also able to get through Zhongli's shield so that's a hard one to attempt too.

Being world level 9 probably doesn't help.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member
Have him C6. A lot of the local legends eat through his shield. Chimalli's cannon goes through it in 0.5 seconds.

Tried regular attacks on the bubbles but they didn't move. Haven't fought the ice cube in over a year so I didn't think of it. The cannon party wiping me if I wasn't behind a pillar shifted my focus after that.

The tri-stars are also able to get through Zhongli's shield so that's a hard one to attempt too.

Being world level 9 probably doesn't help.
sure, they can eat through the shield if you just sit there and take their attacks. also their attacks do elemental reactions so you have to be careful not to get melted, since you can get one shot from it. but i didn't find it particularly difficult with a c0 zhongli

Pejo

Genshin birthday party(?) whatever that is, official promo art. I think it's some CN only Bilibili event.
9yu4xcnkcxnd1.jpeg

cp4fl3lwexnd1.jpeg

Last edited:
sure, they can eat through the shield if you just sit there and take their attacks.
deanote666 deanote666 plays on phone. Keep that in mind.

New McDonald's promotion in the US. I'm on my phone so I'm not gonna post the exact details, but I think you buy a menu in the app and get a code for a red glider skin. Not quite as cool as Melusine toys, but pretty neat. Not that I can make use of this.

deanote666

sure, they can eat through the shield if you just sit there and take their attacks. also their attacks do elemental reactions so you have to be careful not to get melted, since you can get one shot from it. but i didn't find it particularly difficult with a c0 zhongli
Dodge? What's that? I had Zhongli since before he was buffed. What is this dodge you speak of?

I have been dodging more but games with "perfect dodge" and "perfect parry" always seem to not work out for me.

Took a bit to get through the one legend that relied on "perfect dodge" the first time.

deanote666 deanote666 plays on phone. Keep that in mind.
Y'all wish you were fly like me! *evil cackle*

I've tried playing on the PS5 and the controller feels clunky after playing on mobile.

Dodge? What's that? I had Zhongli since before he was buffed. What is this dodge you speak of?

I have been dodging more but games with "perfect dodge" and "perfect parry" always seem to not work out for me.

Took a bit to get through the one legend that relied on "perfect dodge" the first time.

Y'all wish you were fly like me! *evil cackle*

I've tried playing on the PS5 and the controller feels clunky after playing on mobile.

I couldn’t disagree more. The playing in PS5 is far, far, far superior in every way. Except if you want to play on the go.
Mobile runs worse, looks worse, has longer loading screens, and the touch controls are imprecise.

Give me whatever weed your smoking man.

ap_puff

Neo Member
I couldn’t disagree more. The playing in PS5 is far, far, far superior in every way. Except if you want to play on the go.
Mobile runs worse, looks worse, has longer loading screens, and the touch controls are imprecise.

Give me whatever weed your smoking man.
tbf if he's used to the mobile control scheme it can be hard to adapt. I'm used to playing FPS on mouse+keyboard and i hate the way shooters play on controllers. Objectively though I don't see how mobile controls can be better than an actual dualsense when it's so awkward to tap different buttons on a touch screen, also being able to control both camera axes with sticks while still having fingers free for buttons is far superior

deanote666

Tried the Tri guys again trying to get them all at once, had them all almost empty and they zipped back to their spawn point at full health...

Edit: They respawned TWICE!!!

The 3rd time, the timing was off.

The 4th time, they respawned AGAIN while I was standing in their camp. The fire one was stuck in the water so I think that triggered it.

The only thing I have trouble with on mobile is aiming mode for projectiles.

Last edited:

Pejo

New McDonald's promotion in the US. I'm on my phone so I'm not gonna post the exact details, but I think you buy a menu in the app and get a code for a red glider skin. Not quite as cool as Melusine toys, but pretty neat. Not that I can make use of this.
ju4arc3x00od1.jpg

hih2ic3x00od1.jpg

93442c3x00od1.jpg

Well, it's better than the Twitch shit we got last time they had a CN food collab. I'll suffer through a McCrispy I guess for the wings. Funny that they make Kaz look like a lesbian.

Last edited:

jonnyXx

Tried the transmuter and here are my results. Not bad.
Got scared when it rolled DEF on the 4th line but it turned out ok.
7JCNDGN.jpeg

Ku2hrVj.jpeg

Could have gone much better, I got low rolls on crit but at least it didn't roll more DEF so I'll take it.

ap_puff

Neo Member
Tried the transmuter and here are my results. Not bad.
Got scared when it rolled DEF on the 4th line but it turned out ok.
7JCNDGN.jpeg

Ku2hrVj.jpeg

Could have gone much better, I got low rolls on crit but at least it didn't roll more DEF so I'll take it.
i would've taken the def over flat hp lol

Jesus Christ the story in Natlan so far is dumb lol
Mualani: I know you want this more than me!

Uhh, then why the fuck are you even there? Lmfao.

Kachina as a focus was a mistake. It defies any sort of logic that a small child would be capable of winning any kind of fighting competition. Not only would she be far physically weaker then any grown adult, the fact that she’s been alive for less time means she wouldn’t even have had the chance to train as long as someone who’s been alive longer.

Don’t see how anyone can take any of this seriously.

Afterwards Mualani is like oh it’s bittersweet… ok let’s go.

This is the worst story and introduction to any area yet. I’d give anything to go back to Liyue or Inazuma again.

Reactions: Csr

Pejo

Jesus Christ the story in Natlan so far is dumb lol
Mualani: I know you want this more than me!

Uhh, then why the fuck are you even there? Lmfao.

Kachina as a focus was a mistake. It defies any sort of logic that a small child would be capable of winning any kind of fighting competition. Not only would she be far physically weaker then any grown adult, the fact that she’s been alive for less time means she wouldn’t even have had the chance to train as long as someone who’s been alive longer.

Don’t see how anyone can take any of this seriously.

Afterwards Mualani is like oh it’s bittersweet… ok let’s go.

This is the worst story and introduction to any area yet. I’d give anything to go back to Liyue or Inazuma again.
I get what you're saying, but I felt that exact same way with all of the children characters, so for me the disbelief is already suspended. Plus if I "lost" a contest to go get myself killed fighting an unwinnable fight against the abyss, I probably wouldn't get too upset about it, per your Mualani point.

For what it's worth, I think they chose Kachina for her role because it's easy to endear her to the player and invoke emotion when she didn't come back at first.

I've actually really been enjoying the story and the lore implications especially with Natlan's story quest. Plus the pacing is much better than older Archon quests.

Pejo

Kachina is cute but holy shit is she a shitty character, i regret leveling her up because she does jack shit
She's worth it for the "already on the wall" hot swap climb utility for me, regardless of combat strength. I think Xilonen is gonna pretty much supplant her everywhere next patch though.

Another thing that gets me in the hot springs area:
Even though we’ve been attacked for decades (longer?) by the abyss, let’s make a completely open village with no walls or defenses…

I mean… come on! Even ancient humans who barely understood anything at all knew that walls could help keep a village safe. This reminds me of the stupid towns in FF15… completely open to any monster who wants to swing by. Destroys any semblance of believability for me, even within the confines of the games own logic.

Maybe I’m just being too critical, but when problems arise due to extremely obvious oversights it just begs the question of who they are even making this game for. Ya I guess there’s a problem -village gets attacked regularly- but the solution, or at least part of a solution, would be to have some kind of defenses set up, anything, something! Instead the people just laze around in hot springs and party all day. The disconnect here is insanely huge.

Ok, I’m done hating now. But man, I dunno. Maybe I’m just starting to get checked out of Genshin. Especially if this is what they have to offer. The most flimsy paper thing veil of a reason for the story conflict (at least this section)

We’re a long way from things like the Vision Hunt Decree, which to me was compelling.

Kachina is cute but holy shit is she a shitty character, i regret leveling her up because she does jack shit
Yeah, it's disappointing that they made her a throwaway freebie for the open world without considering her place in the roster.

Even though we’ve been attacked for decades (longer?) by the abyss, let’s make a completely open village with no walls or defenses…
Can't the Abyss just teleport wherever? What if they make it in the town and block the wall exits? The springs and ocean already function as natural barriers and the citizens can swim through those to escape. But we're probably thinking too deeply about this. Genshin isn't really about that kind of logic/storytelling. We can buy milk from nonexistent cows and the cavalry captain rides a nonexistent horse.

deanote666

I mean… come on! Even ancient humans who barely understood anything at all knew that walls could help keep a village safe. This reminds me of the stupid towns in FF15… completely open to any monster who wants to swing by. Destroys any semblance of believability for me, even within the confines of the games own logic.

Maybe I’m just being too critical, but when problems arise due to extremely obvious oversights it just begs the question of who they are even making this game for. Ya I guess there’s a problem -village gets attacked regularly- but the solution, or at least part of a solution, would be to have some kind of defenses set up, anything, something! Instead the people just laze around in hot springs and party all day. The disconnect here is insanely huge.

Ok, I’m done hating now. But man, I dunno. Maybe I’m just starting to get checked out of Genshin. Especially if this is what they have to offer. The most flimsy paper thing veil of a reason for the story conflict (at least this section)

We’re a long way from things like the Vision Hunt Decree, which to me was compelling.
I haven't completed the archon quest yet but the impression I'm getting is that there is an actual front line somewhere so unless they break past there, the rest of the area is relatively safe.

In FF15, they had those special light bulbs to keep people safe, duh. Who needs walls when you have light bulbs?

Ok the cutscene between the Pyro archon and Capitano was pretty cool

Even though I think Raiden could have taken him, it was still a pretty cool fight.

Ok the cutscene between the Pyro archon and Capitano was pretty cool

Even though I think Raiden could have taken him, it was still a pretty cool fight.

So many questions from that cutscene. Why didn't she disperse the fog if she was able to? What did she detect in him when fighting? What is the talk about the oath made 500 year ago and how does he know it?

deanote666

Yeah, it's disappointing that they made her a throwaway freebie for the open world without considering her place in the roster.

Can't the Abyss just teleport wherever? What if they make it in the town and block the wall exits? The springs and ocean already function as natural barriers and the citizens can swim through those to escape. But we're probably thinking too deeply about this. Genshin isn't really about that kind of logic/storytelling. We can buy milk from nonexistent cows and the cavalry captain rides a nonexistent horse.
I think the abyss order is different from actual holes in the abyss. The contest at the beginning of the archon quest was about deciding who to send out to attack the abyss and how it tied into their special names indicating that there's a specific area where they're fighting the abyss. Plus the shadow nail quest was also involved in plugging holes into the abyss

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member
I think the abyss order is different from actual holes in the abyss. The contest at the beginning of the archon quest was about deciding who to send out to attack the abyss and how it tied into their special names indicating that there's a specific area where they're fighting the abyss. Plus the shadow nail quest was also involved in plugging holes into the abyss
The abyss order is the remnants of Khaen'riah led by alt-traveler, from what we've seen so far they're trying to overthrow the current order of Teyvat, which is imposed by "the Heavenly Principles" (the first descender) with the power of the Abyss. The Heavenly Principles is the first Descender, and we are the 4th. They came to Teyvat and fought with the dragon sovereigns who were here before them and took over the elemental powers from them. Basically, if this was Elden Ring, The Heavenly Principles is the Golden Order, and the Abyss Order would be akin to the followers of the Frenzied Flame.

jonnyXx

I had a feeling Chevy would run with Raiden again, why did it have to be right before Xilonen though. :messenger_unamused:

I hope she's not going to be locked to Raiden banners cause it'd would mean we'll only see her once a year.

Pejo

I had a feeling Chevy would run with Raiden again, why did it have to be right before Xilonen though. :messenger_unamused:

I hope she's not going to be locked to Raiden banners cause it'd would mean we'll only see her once a year.

SHIT. I wanted some Chev cons but now do I risk "building pity" on this banner so I can safely land Xilonen?

The most dangerous game...

Yes, but in the Natlan Archon Quest it's revealed that the Abyss itself is like a force of nature that almost seems sentient, seeking out weaknesses and looking for ways to optimize damage done to Natlan. We actually see this when the Abyss attacks the People of the Springs village, teleporting monsters into the vicinity. In theory they could just open a new portal to siphon monsters into a walled city.

SHIT. I wanted some Chev cons but now do I risk "building pity" on this banner so I can safely land Xilonen?

The most dangerous game...
Definitely not worth it. She already works well at C0, and though her cons are nice, they're not worth potentially screwing up your account over. It really is a shame that they've tied her to Shogun's banners though.

Top Bottom