• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

yesssss

mQdeD3X.jpg

i86PmiW.jpg

I've been whining about the difficulty and RNG of the game, but now that I've managed to beat it, I of course realise it's a game of strategy, planning and pure skill.

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Zaph

Talos was good, but from what I've seen of The Witness so far is something truly special.

You're not wrong. Talos is great, but The Witness has something... majestic(?) about it which is hard to put into words without coming across like hyperbole.

I've avoided all content/reviews of it aside from the recent Bombcast, but the complaint Brad mentions hearing about puzzles just rolling into one another without any punctuation or player reinforcement just adds to the immersion. The game doesn't care for numbering, guidance or your feelings. It's just puzzles, the island, and a trust in the player that he/she can do it.

Yeah this is the longest they have gone between MPPs I think.

I hope they aren't just saving them all for live events, although one of those this year would be great too.

Haunted

You're not wrong. Talos is great, but The Witness has something... majestic(?) about it which is hard to put into words without coming across like hyperbole.

I've avoided all content/reviews of it aside from the recent Bombcast, but the complaint Brad mentions hearing about puzzles just rolling into one another without any punctuation or player reinforcement just adds to the immersion. The game doesn't care for numbering, guidance or your feelings. It's just puzzles, the island, and a trust in the player that he/she can do it.
Yes! It all comes down to respect and trust. It trusts the player to give the game the attention it demands and respects the player's intelligence.

It's hard not to root for a game like that.

Joeku

stealth witness post

Fuck.

I was stuck on a puzzle a couple days ago and then the solution came to me when I was driving to work yesterday, thinking of absolutely nothing at all. I love that shit.

Also I had a dream about lines overnight. This game is burying itself in my skull.

Patryn

yesssss

I've been whining about the difficulty and RNG of the game, but now that I've managed to beat it, I of course realise it's a game of strategy, planning and pure skill.

Having just watched the QL for that game, it's the most frustrating thing possible.

Partly because the game seems set to screw them over. Partly because holy shit were the GBeast crew not paying attention.

Austin lamenting that they can't reroll when there's a giant thing on the screen informing that they have 1 reroll left especially made me want to scream. The worst part is that I think this happened twice.

Lunar FC

As a person who vehemently hated any pre-december gb goty talk last year. What games have a chance to knock the witness off the top for the guys?

killroy87

As a person who vehemently hated any pre-december gb goty talk last year. What games have a chance to knock the witness off the top for the guys?

Considering I don't think any of us would have guessed the impact Super Mario Maker or Rocket League would have, we probably don't know of the heavy hitters yet.

Barring any disappointments or delays, Street Fighter V, Deus Ex, Zelda Wii U, maybe Uncharted or Persona.

Nier Automata, FFXV, Ace Attorney 6, Zero Time Dilemma, and Cold Steel 2 tho

Heimbeck

Banned

Not sure I can really think of anything, not to say there won't be stuff.
I mean, Jeff might really like Persona but I don't think everyone at GB is going to get into P5.

Street Fighter V, Deus Ex, Zelda Wii U, maybe Uncharted or Persona.

Nier Automata, Ace Attorney 6, Zero Time Dilemma, and Cold Steel 2 tho

I'd be very surprised if they loved Zelda Wii U. I love those games, but the series hasn't exactly blown critics away since The Wind Waker. I could see Persona 5 leaving a big impact, but my guess would be that their GOTY will either be The Witness of a surprise showing from E3.

I'd be very surprised if they loved Zelda Wii U. I love those games, but the series hasn't exactly blown critics away since The Wind Waker. I could see Persona 5 leaving a big impact, but my guess would be that their GOTY will either be The Witness of a surprise showing from E3.

Didn't Link Between Worlds almost win their GOTY?

Patryn

Let's see....

Likely
No Man's Sky

Possible:
Dark Souls 3
Uncharted 4
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
XCom 2

Questionable:
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Quantum Break
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided