• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This is exactly the kind of thing Rorie would say about something he doesn't like. The issue is that you're too much like Rorie.

My favourite Rorie moment was in the aftermath of the Volgar event where he attempts to make Brad feel better by telling a 10 minute anecdote about him saying something inappropriate. The atmosphere's still a little awkward, It goes nowhere, and it the end it clicks with him that it wasn't remotely as bad as what Brad said.

Then he talked about wanting to bomb the CBSI building.

How can anyone not love rorie.

Myggen

Rorie is awesome. He can be pretty rambling, but mostly in a good way. He's also a really funny dude, see him talking about football (soccer) when Danny was playing Sensible Soccer on UPF. "So what are you trying to do here?"

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Rorie laying down the law with Ian was great television.

LiK

I just can't believe how I]uninformed[/I] Rorie can be sometimes.

does he even like videogames

Any specific examples? Sometimes I am also genuinely surprised when people with gaming podcasts/YouTube shows are oblivious to certain well known things in the industry.

Any specific examples? Sometimes I am also genuinely surprised when people with gaming podcasts/YouTube shows are oblivious to certain well known things in the industry.

My go to example is always when he didn't know that PS controllers still use X, circle, square and triangle.

Dragon

Banned
My go to example is always when he didn't know that PS controllers still use X, circle, square and triangle.

Yeah that one was pretty bad.

I think it's clear he sticks to the small set of games he's interested in, and does not invest any time or effort in even looking into other games.

I'm sure he can tell you all about FFX/X-2 but you ask him about Tales of Xillia and he'll look at you more blankly than Dr. Cox from Scrubs.

Myggen

Nah, he clearly hates video games.
/s

Rorie just strikes me as a guy who plays a certain type of video games, and don't really follow the general video games news that much. AFAIK he's always been a PC gamer and has never really paid attention to consoles that much, and that's why he has some pretty amazing gaps in his video game knowledge.

But I don't think it matters. He's not there as an editor, he's the community/product manager of GB and Comicvine who's sits in on most UPFs and some other premium content.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

He was recently surprised to hear that Battlefield 4 is a game that exists.

Reviewable build is going out to outlets now. Once that happens it is QL eligible under Giant Bomb Guideline 23 Subsection C1

I really should re-read those guidelines so I dont have these silly questions all the time. I assume there is probably a section on Rorie as well that might explain his appeal.

As people have said he just enjoys a very specific type of game. With Vinny going to NY he's probably the only guy left in the office who really enjoys CRPGs so it's fortunate he's there given the resurgence in the genre this year.

Heavy Bullets looks pretty cool. Obviously that sub-genre of games is stacked, but it definitely sticks out, if only because I'm a sucker for persistent banking in my games. (Majora's Mask, yo.)

When that orginally happened, I felt like it was another case of complete deadpan trolling from Rorie. His troll voice is pretty much the same as his rambling voice though, so it's pretty hard to tell sometimes.

But he'd been in the office for months and was right in front of a PlayStation controller at that point. He can't be that dumb, right..?

Lijik

Oh man, they QL'd Heavy Bullets?
Ive been playing that for a while now, excited to see what they think of it

EDIT- the music in this build is new to me, its nice

bonercop

About the whole Atlus P4ER love/hate thing, I swear I remember Jeff saying he got suggestions of a Catherine ER from them which totally grossed him out and put the final nail in that coffin. Or am I wrong and it was a different game/studio that requested it?.

I think you imagined this whole thing altogether, lol. The only interaction between GB and Atlus USA about Catherine I can remember was when Aram dropped by to show it off for a QLEX.

LiK

Heh, I remmeber the BF4 comment. I kinda think Rorie is more into movies than video games even tho he works in the industry.

Zaph

I think you imagined this whole thing altogether, lol. The only interaction between GB and Atlus USA about Catherine I can remember was when Aram dropped by to show it off for a QLEX.
Nope, why assume all GB/PR interactions happen on camera?

It was something Jeff said in a Jartime or maybe at PAX. IIRC he mentioned a PR guy saying something like "This would make for a great Endurance Run" which grossed him out and pretty much killed off any future ER plans.

1emons

Neo Member

It was something Jeff said in a Jartime or maybe at PAX. IIRC he mentioned a PR guy saying something like "This would make for a great Endurance Run" which grossed him out and pretty much killed off any future ER plans.

I vaguely remember Jeff mentioning it as well.

LiK

I vaguely remember Jeff mentioning it as well.

so some PR guy caused ERs to be ditched? Fuck you very much, PR guy.

Zaph

so some PR guy caused ERs to be ditched? Fuck you very much, PR guy.
Lets be honest - Jeff's not doing any more ER's because Jeff doesn't want to do any more ER's. Any criticism about fans pestering them or PR getting cosy is just decoration.

LiK

Lets be honest - Jeff's not doing any more ER's because Jeff doesn't want to do any more ER's. Any criticism about fans pestering them or PR getting cosy is just decoration.

Actually, they still do but they call them something else. VinnyVania was the last one. :p

The rest are premium videos.

bonercop

Hm, if you got someone backing you up on this it's probably true. I find it hard to believe that it was Catherine, though, partly because Aram Jabbari doesn't strike me as the kind of guy awkward enough to ask that and because I've never seen it brought up in the millions of discussion about why a P5 ER will never happen, while that one time they said they don't wanna be known as "the Atlus guys" always gets brought up.

Zaph

Actually, they still do but they call them something else. VinnyVania was the last one. :p

The rest are premium videos.
Secret ER's are best ER's.

Hm, if you got someone backing you up on this it's probably true. I find it hard to believe that it was Catherine, though, partly because Aram Jabbari doesn't strike me as the kind of guy awkward enough to ask that and because I've never seen it brought up in the millions of discussion about why a P5 ER will never happen, while that one time they said they don't wanna be known as "the Atlus guys" always gets brought up.
i'm so happy someone on the internet believes me

Sakwoff

given his usual deadpan delivery it could be but on the other hand he seems to be in a bubble enough (WOW/PC games, his own games while at Obsidian, movies and stuff) for it to possibly be serious

Dunno, he also plays a lot of stuff on the Vita, I think.

Whatever. Being on top of everything game related is not exactly part of his job description. Whenever that stuff comes up on stream I think it makes for really funny/interesting moments/dynamics, so I don't even care in these cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom