• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
No need to leave the thread. Some people like Paul, some people don't. It's cool to have differing opinions.

I though Mythic was shut when that Warhammer MMO died.

Oh well. Didnt realise they became a EA F2P shit house so its not a big loss.

The cuts at Harmonix suck though. That studio is definitely in a bit of a limbo. They need to find their groove like Double Fine did.

Danielsan

Man, Carrie joining Giant Bomb would be the fucking best. She would add some great new taste to crew and she already has like the best possible chemistry with Jeff and Brad.

How could there not be after this?

This is probably the first time I was not just outright angry after reading a Youtube comment...

YbUY7Do.png

The cuts at Harmonix suck though. That studio is definitely in a bit of a limbo. They need to find their groove like Double Fine did.

When your whole entire studio is built to the strengths of a dead genre then you need a lot more than a groove. The music game genre is completely fucked and has been for years now. It got a bit of a boost with dance central/just dance but at least Ubisoft was smart and didn't tie up JD with one peripheral.

They're trying to diversify now but it's like 4-5 years too late for that. They should've starting doing so before beatles rock band was released to lukewarm sales.

Zaph

There's a simple rule to the new hire: Are they too perfect? Yes? Then it's not them.

It was during GDC i think?

He towed the company line and Rami worked the fuck out of him.

Towing the company line is the status quo for Paul, but he went way further than that on the GDC stream, he was straight disingenuous. Really soured me to him. Glad Rami went in.

Aerocrane

They just need to replace the team at SEGA that's working on the Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA games.

Rhythm games with peripherals like Guitar Hero and Rock Band won't be making a comeback with plastic instruments, they need to figure out something, use smart phones as instruments for example. Hopefully making more diverse projects like Chroma and Record Run will bring them success.

Towing the company line is the status quo for Paul, but he went way further than that on the GDC stream, he was straight disingenuous. Really soured me to him. Glad Rami went in.

I've enjoyed prior appearances of Paul (particularly the couple of end-of-year talks with Jeff he's done), but his stance during the GDC show was straight-up disgusting. I would be very against Paul joining GB after that embarrassment.

rbanke

Man, Carrie joining Giant Bomb would be the fucking best. She would add some great new taste to crew and she already has like the best possible chemistry with Jeff and Brad.

This would be fucking awesome, I wish we lived in a world where fucking awesome stuff happened.

They just need to replace the team at SEGA that's working on the Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA games.

Rhythm games with peripherals like Guitar Hero and Rock Band won't be making a comeback with plastic instruments, they need to figure out something, use smart phones as instruments for example. Hopefully making more diverse projects like Chroma and Record Run will bring them success.

They bet big on spending so much on freeing themselves from Viacom, but the market was changing right then. Publishers were moving over to the motion-dance genre and Dance Central was kind of the best they could hope for at the time.

And yeah, the smart phone-as-instruments thing should have been something they pioneered, but I can't imagine any publisher was keen on working with them on it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Hopefully he also looks at the speculation and realizes it's because there are a ton of people who care about the site. Take it as a compliment, Jeff!

Serious question: Is there any other site where people would speculate so wildly on stuff like this? Is there even a thread for other sites here? GB is really the only site I frequent (besides RPS) so I wouldn't know.

Why the secrecy?

Just to make us suffer obvs.
Here is my prediction: GB is going to have it's own press conference at E3. Then Danny and everybody else named in this thread walk out on the stage and Jeff hands them roses. One after one they leave until only two people are left. At that point Jeff turns around and says "It's neither of those two, it's actually Anita Sarkeesian. Thank you and good night."

Myggen

Why the secrecy?

There's many potential reasons for keeping a new hire secret for some time. Maybe he/she will be in employment at another employer for some time yet and the employer doesn't want it announced yet, maybe Jeff wants to announce it a specific way (during a stream, say) etc.

Serious question: Is there any other site where people would speculate so wildly on stuff like this? Is there even a thread for other sites here? GB is really the only site I frequent (besides RPS) so I wouldn't know.

There's no active thread for any other of the big, more traditional sites. But to be fair, GB is the only site where that would make sense because of the personality-driven aspect of it. The second most popular "gaming site thread" on here is Two Best Friends Play (and that's a YT channel that modelled themselves heavily after Giant Bomb). I also doubt that any other media hire would get as much attention on GAF. But on the internet as a whole? If PewDiePie or some shit announced they were hiring, the internt would probably blow up.

Kerned

Banned

No, I don't think so. Giant Bomb is basically a video game journalism reality show at this point, which is why people give so much of a shit. We know a lot about all these people's lives.

There's many potential reasons for keeping a new hire secret for some time. Maybe he/she will be in employment at another employer for some time yet and the employer doesn't want it announced yet, maybe Jeff wants to announce it a specific way (during a stream, say) etc.

I'm pretty sure that it's because the new hire and Vinny don't get along so they gave Vinny an ultimatum: Go home you yankee or you're out of a job.

Vinny (known to be a hothead by just about everyone who has worked with him) stopped hacking the soda machine's temperature for a moment, clinched his fists to his head to pull out his last 3 homer simpson hairs, and said "fuck you all and especially (insert new team member here). I'm out of this shithole, you animal-crossing loving scumbags!"

They've never really been friends, sure, but the new hire going behind his back and stealing vinny's job - and the backlash that came with it - really broke everyone's spirit around the cbsi offices. They decided in a 5 hour meeting to patiently waited for him to leave before making their announcement, just so as to avoid any further outbursts. Hands were shaken, eye contact sealing the deal.

If you watch the pizza stream you'll notice vinny almost get up and leave when jeff confirms the hire. theres a twitch in his eye that's unmistakeable.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When your whole entire studio is built to the strengths of a dead genre then you need a lot more than a groove. The music game genre is completely fucked and has been for years now. It got a bit of a boost with dance central/just dance but at least Ubisoft was smart and didn't tie up JD with one peripheral.

They're trying to diversify now but it's like 4-5 years too late for that. They should've starting doing so before beatles rock band was released to lukewarm sales.

ironically, I kinda miss playing guitar hero / rock band

Myggen

I'm pretty sure that it's because the new hire and Vinny don't get along so they gave Vinny an ultimatum: Go home you yankee or you're out of a job.

Vinny (known to be a hothead by just about everyone who has worked with him) stopped hacking the soda machine's temperature for a moment, clinched his fists to his head to pull out his last 3 homer simpson hairs, and said "fuck you all and especially (insert new team member here). I'm out of this shithole, you animal-crossing loving scumbags!"

They've never really been friends, sure, but the new hire going behind his back and stealing vinny's job - and the backlash that came with it - really broke everyone's spirit around the cbsi offices. They decided in a 5 hour meeting to patiently waited for him to leave before making their announcement, just so as to avoid any further outbursts. Hands were shaken, eye contact sealing the deal.

If you watch the pizza stream you'll notice vinny almost get up and leave when jeff confirms the hire. theres a twitch in his eye that's unmistakeable.

A very likely story that I'm gonna spam Jeff with on his Tumblr. Is this the end of Giant Bomb?!

AColdDay

Has Cara Ellison been eliminated as a contender at this point? I remember her name coming up in the beginning, but I haven't heard about it since.

Carrie coming on board would be INCREDIBLE. She is awesome and already has chemistry with the crew. On the other hand, the weekend-crew would produce a staggering amount of Jeff/Carrie fanfiction.

I'm not familiar with Shane, has he been on the Bombcast before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom