• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing about Dragon's Dogma is things are a lot more spread out unlike in a Souls game where it's all tight environments. Would be a lot of down time.

Incredible game though and one worth spending time with. Still think Patrick missed out on a lot of its best attributes but oh well. I will admit I still haven't finished the Dark Arisen extra dungeon though. 10 bosses at once and 10 FPS on the final floors :D

Haunted

I dont understand, how long is Patrick going to be doing the '1 hour of playing a game every day' videos?

I thought that was just a Spelunky thing but now its Binding of Isaac too, with the camera in the corner its literally like any other youtube lets play
I think GB QLs would be better with a cam on the people in the room.

Just having gameplay commentary feels lacking compared to - as you point out - the standards we've come to get used to from other LPers.

Having two people is a totally different experience. Also it's the thinnest form of content, and he's doing this instead of quick looks of smaller games the others won't cover.
There's an abundance of team LPs out there on Twitch and Youtube and they've got cameras!

GiantBombSanFrancisco® needs to step up their QL game, they're being shown up by GiantBombChicago®!

I think GB QLs would be better with a cam on the people in the room.

Just having gameplay commentary feels lacking compared to - as you point out - the standards we've come to get used to from other LPers.

It's a good job that Giant Bomb Quick Looks aren't Let's Plays then, isn't it!?

Haunted

It's a good job that Giant Bomb Quick Looks aren't Let's Plays then, isn't it!?
Well, a Let's Play by any other name.

I know you're technically right, since they don't expand past the "first episode" of what would be a proper LP series. I've even compiled a list of how the format's called on various sites and channels in a previous post. Still easy to refer to them as such because people unfamiliar with GB know what to expect from the video.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
One thing I find really annoying about patrick's videos is that his face obscures quite a big chunk of the game.

It's fine if it's a continuing series so you would know what the face box is hiding anyway, but not for showing of a game in a one-time only video.

Haunted

I just realised that QLs are GB's only recurring video format that doesn't have facecams.

TNT had 'em, UPF, Breaking, Patrick's solo stuff, Bombin', EB... all with cams. And better for it, I say.

One thing I find really annoying about patrick's videos is that his face obscures quite a big chunk of the game.

It's fine if it's a continuing series so you would know what the face box is hiding anyway, but not for showing of a game in a one-time only video.
If he'd just... scoop up a little bit, we could see the level he's in in Isaac. :p I found that most streamers are uncomfortable if they're not in a corner, even if that usually hides some part of the HUD.

Will M

I just realised that QLs are GB's only recurring video format that doesn't have facecams.

The quicklook is fine as is. We get to see enough of the team during actual shows. For me, cams in youtube videos or twitch streams add nothing of value except for maybe a horror game.

Still easy to refer to them as such because people unfamiliar with GB know what to expect from the video.

If human people don't know what to expect with a Giant Bomb video, by now, I would say good luck and good day to them.

tumblr_inline_mhfbclQRPZ1qz4rgp.png
2609287-gbql.png

99% of all "Let's Plays" aren't really "Let Us Plays" these days anyway, so even the commonly used term is used incorrectly. Not that I especially care, I use the "incorrect" term in the way that everyone else uses it anyway. It's interesting that you catalogued that stuff though, got a link?

Mesoian

dragon's dogma breaking brad would be amazing. that game is so great

It's also REALLY easy. I don't think it would make for a good breaking bad, and this is coming from someone who attempted to LP it. I had to speed up the footage of me sorting through menus on regular occation to condense 15-30 minutes into 20 seconds.

Aerocrane

Brad should play more classic FPS games for Breaking Brad. DooM was awesome, it would be cool if he played Rise of The Triad or something.

ultron87

you know, i always see this brought up about the souls games
does no one see the "press select for help" thing on screen at all times in the menus? they explain every stat

Adaptability is still pretty nebulous even with the description it gives you.

mattp

Adaptability is still pretty nebulous even with the description it gives you.

yeah but when you go to upgrade it on the right side it shows what stats it effects with little blue numbers. its not THAT hard to see the agility number go up and then hit select to check what agility does.

im not saying its easy haha, but people for some reason liek to act like these games literally throw you into a massive screen of stats with 0 help when they give you a fair bit if information if you hit select. there's obviously an element of trying things out, but the entire game works that way so i think it's fair

Haunted

If human people don't know what to expect with a Giant Bomb video, by now, I would say good luck and good day to them.

99% of all "Let's Plays" aren't really "Let Us Plays" these days anyway, so even the commonly used term is used incorrectly. Not that I especially care, I use the "incorrect" term in the way that everyone else uses it anyway. It's interesting that you catalogued that stuff though, got a link?
Not everyone has heard the good word yet! There will always be new people.

I think we've had this discussion in the last GB thread when Polygon started their "overview" series.

off the top of my head.

Quick Looks (GB)
Let's Look At (Northernlion)
WTF is...(Totalbiscuit)
Overview (Polygon)
First Impression (a million sites)
[channel name] Plays (many Youtubers)
I forgot what Rev3's version is called, I don't think it has a set name, but they've been doing similar first impression videos.

A simple search on Youtube should offer dozens more naming options for videos that are informal first impressions of a game being played, essentially being the first episode in what would be a traditional LP series.

Zaph

There is only irony for people who don't know what irony is.

It is ironic if you ask Alanis maybe.

What is ironic about giving an anti-bullying talk at a convention that in the past has had some bullying issues? I mean, maybe if it was the one dude at Penny Arcade giving the speech?

It isn't ironic, it feels more like positive progress.
You don't see the irony in giving a talk about not empowering internet bullies at an event where in order to watch you have to financially empower an accused internet bully?

Edit: On a lighter note, I'd pretty much support a mass murderer to be there for this.

you know, i always see this brought up about the souls games
does no one see the "press select for help" thing on screen at all times in the menus? they explain every stat

Absolutely. I also enjoy that the "No handholding, no positive reinforcement!" game says "Good job! Go straight ahead!" after you beat the first boss and straight ahead is the only way to go.

EDIT: Also supposedly Dark Souls has a ton of items that you have no idea how, when or where to use. And then in Anor Londo you get half your screen covered with "THIS ITEM YOU HAVE IS IMPORTANT NOW!"

EDIT2: Also there's "The game doesn't even explain how to play/the controls!" when it tells you everything about the controls.

Kerned

Banned
Absolutely. I also enjoy that the "No handholding, no positive reinforcement!" game says "Good job! Go straight ahead!" after you beat the first boss and straight ahead is the only way to go.

I'm convinced that message is primarily put there to troll you
when you go back to that area, run straight forward and fall through the floor into a boss.

In other news, my poster shipped!

Jb

Watching the final Demons Souls. At some point you'd hope Brad would realize calling every boss and area he dies in terrible an complete garbage makes this series so much less enjoyable than any ER type stuff they do on the site, including Vinny's Load your last souls. Kin
But I guess finding new stuff to complain about has kind of become his thing in the last few years.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
We'll all be working for AARP by the time he gets around to telling people what his new job is right guys?

Zaph

We'll all be working for AARP by the time he gets around to telling people what his new job is right guys?
He's really just delaying accepting any job offers until CBSi release the funds for GB's new hires.

Don't you dare ruin this for me with your 'facts' and 'realities'

popo

He said he was working for the CIA and everyone assumed it was a joke. Maybe it wasn't. I can see him as a drone pilot using a 360 controller.

Curufinwe

I only watched the first hour of BB, but Brad took care of the Maneaters really easily. They were hardest boss in the game for me. When I tried to use melee I could not do nearly enough damage to kill the first one before the second one arrived, and I kept getting knocked off the bridge.

Haunted

I only watched the first hour of BB, but Brad took care of the Maneaters really easily. They were hardest boss in the game for me. When I tried to use melee I could not do nearly enough damage to kill the first one before the second one arrived, and I kept getting knocked off the bridge.
Maybe Brad is just really good at videogamesing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom