• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chogidogs

Awesome!

MCtc3Gt.png

LET'S GO #TheRicker! LET'S GO #TheRicker! LET'S GO #TheRicker! LET'S GO #TheRicker! LET'S GO #TheRicker! LET'S GO #TheRicker!

Kind of a fucked up, too-soon sort of tweet by Alex.

I understand why people joke about such events, as it kinda deflects the brutality of the whole thing. To be honest, I was going to make a joke in the news thread, that "I thought this Thread would have reached 8 Pages," but thought better of it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I understand why people joke about such events, as it kinda deflects the brutality of the whole thing. To be honest, I was going to make a joke in the news thread, that "I thought this Thread would have reached 8 Pages," but thought better of it.

Thats sort of the thing. Most of us can think of these jokes sure, but then most of us think better of it and realize theres a time and place where it's appropriate to joke about that kind of stuff.

Publicly joking to thousands about an event where a pre-teen girl was stabbed nearly to death by her friends is in incredibly poor taste.

Myggen

I see we're back to hating Alex now. It feels like old times.

Anyways, I'm generally not a believer in "too soon" when it comes to jokes. What is and isn't "too soon" is so fucking subjective and arbitrary that I come down on the side of it's okay to joke about more or less anything at any time.

popo

Alex was good on the bombcast this week, also at pax this year. Doing 2 video podcasts a week seems to have improved his confidence no end. He isn't constantly trying too hard and making bad jokes like he has in the past. He always had it in him as his movie podcasts with just Rorie were always pretty chill. I suspect doing regular quick looks will improve his video work with similar results.

LeBart

Alex was good on the bombcast this week, also at pax this year. Doing 2 video podcasts a week seems to have improved his confidence no end. He isn't constantly trying too hard and making bad jokes like he has in the past. He always had it in him as his movie podcasts with just Rorie were always pretty chill. I suspect doing regular quick looks will improve his video work with similar results.

I agree with this. I never found him that obnoxious but I definitely agree that he sometimes "tried too hard", and that's not something I've seen him do in a while.
I like Alex!

Mr. F

Banned
I agree with this. I never found him that obnoxious but I definitely agree that he sometimes "tried too hard", and that's not something I've seen him do in a while.
I like Alex!

I used to find him really obnoxious for that reason, came off as overcompensating with his attempts at humour when he'd appear on the podcast. Whether or not it's a conscious effort he seems to have mellowed out a bit since and is better for it.

Still a firm believer chin beards don't have a place in 2014, though.

Renpatsu

I want to thank whoever it was that posted the link to the batch of Hotspot episodes awhile back. For the last few days now I've been listening to them from their inception and it's startling to hear just how much of the format and chemistry of the Bombcast was borne from The Hotspot.

Right now I'm at the beginning of 2007 (and know what's gonna happen at the end of that year) where they discuss the 'next gen' consoles and it doesn't come as much of a surprise, but the conversations mirror so much the concerns that folks have going into this generation. I think the number of console generations you live through really adds to your perspective of them whenever they occur. So listening to Jeff speak about things in 2007 makes me understand why he is enthused or not enthused about certain things now.

If people haven't already I'd recommend downloading the episodes and just listening to them whenever you have spare time (they get progressively longer as the show grows older).

Got a link?

From the forums.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I want to thank whoever it was that posted the link to the batch of Hotspot episodes awhile back. For the last few days now I've been listening to them from their inception and it's startling to hear just how much of the format and chemistry of the Bombcast was borne from The Hotspot.

Right now I'm at the beginning of 2007 (and know what's gonna happen at the end of that year) where they discuss the 'next gen' consoles and it doesn't come as much of a surprise, but the conversations mirror so much the concerns that folks have going into this generation. I think the number of console generations you live through really adds to your perspective of them whenever they occur. So listening to Jeff speak about things in 2007 makes me understand why he is enthused or not enthused about certain things now.

If people haven't already I'd recommend downloading the episodes and just listening to them whenever you have spare time (they get progressively longer as the show grows older).

Got a link?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, the race design in Wildstar is just so completely unappealing to me. I just think everything except the Chua look like shit, like they look like your race mock-ups, not the final product.

Aaron

Yeah, the race design in Wildstar is just so completely unappealing to me. I just think everything except the Chua look like shit, like they look like your race mock-ups, not the final product.
The whole game looks like a pre-vis. Lack of textures, lighting, etc.

Xater

Playing FF14 right now I have to agree that Wildstar really isn't a looker. On top of that the optimization is apparently pretty crappy. I also only really like the Chua. The combat though is really fun. I got to try it out for a bit and really liked that part.

Where is my Powerbombcast? I can#t wait to hear all those not so subtle hints of Dan joining GB.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone listen to any comedy podcasts? "Cards Against Humanity" started popping up as advertisements, but in classic Max fashion, all the ads are "they told us not to read an ad". lol

I wonder if he'll sponsor the Bombcast, since that seems to be the next logical step.

Edit: wrong thread

Question for you all, do you think hiring another video producer will mean we see more Drew on the couch, or will he still be in the control room mostly? I'm wondering if the new video producer will remain mostly hidden so Drew can become a bigger personality on the site.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

Question for you all, do you think hiring another video producer will mean we see more Drew on the couch, or will he still be in the control room mostly? I'm wondering if the new video producer will remain mostly hidden so Drew can become a bigger personality on the site.

Yes, I think we'll see more Drew because of the producer hire. I just wonder how much they intend to include the new producer in video content him/herself. Like, will it be like Drew amount of involvement when Vinny was still there? Or will it be like early-days Drew amount of involvement, which amounted to not a lot.

Patryn

Yes, I think we'll see more Drew because of the producer hire. I just wonder how much they intend to include the new producer in video content him/herself. Like, will it be like Drew amount of involvement when Vinny was still there? Or will it be like early-days Drew amount of involvement, which amounted to not a lot.

They specified that the job entailed being comfortable with being a public figure, so I figure we'll see them on camera more than we used to see Drew.

Poyunch

Oh wow, I've been doing jury duty all week and I found out Giantbomb is blocked on their WiFi, GB is YouTube and Facebook popular.

f0rk

I hope they bring better games to UPFs

justjim89

Playing FF14 right now I have to agree that Wildstar really isn't a looker. On top of that the optimization is apparently pretty crappy. I also only really like the Chua. The combat though is really fun. I got to try it out for a bit and really liked that part.

Where is my Powerbombcast? I can#t wait to hear all those not so subtle hints of Dan joining GB.

Usually takes about a day or so to go up after recording. Please understand, Alex has to put music at the beginning and the end. MUSIC! You can't just materialize it out of thin air.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
They specified that the job entailed being comfortable with being a public figure, so I figure we'll see them on camera more than we used to see Drew.

Good point.

Pretty much the only things I remember Drew being involved in on camera in their first office was the coke chugging video and the P4 episode 50(?) debacle.

justjim89

Wait, how do Jeff and Alex hate the Gamecube controller? It's the best fucking dual analogue controller in existence. Every button in uniquely shaped, easily identifiable, and quick to reach with your thumbs. All a newer version would need is a left Z button a clickable sticks and no one would ever need to make a new controller again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom