• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have fond memories of playing Mario Sunshine

Seriously I don't remember anything in particular being wrong with it, what was so bad about it? Like, reduced moveset or something?

Alright, let me break it down for you:

Within your first hour or two with the game you do the same boss fight where you have to wait for a Piranha Plant to open its mouth so you can spray water in it about four or five different times, and go through about ten, fifteen minutes of unskippable narrative dumps. There's literally a scene where you're just sitting there as FLUDD is explaining the story in his monotone voice, and they even do the Ocarina of Time "do you want to hear this again" thing at the end of it.

Of all of the games to add a jarring narrative focus to, they choose the game with a world filled with lame ass Piantas and Nokis. Think of the characters introduced in Sunshine. Are they anybody's favorite? Toadsworth is a boring butler stereotype, the natives of Isle Delfino aren't even really allowed to have personalities since 99% of them don't speak a human language, and Bowser Jr. is just obnoxious. Even if you like Bowser Jr., it's likely because he reminds you of the fonder memories you have of that Baby Bowser fight in Yoshi's Island. It all makes it impossible to care about what's going on in any of the cutscenes.

FLUDD is cool on paper, but his powers are implemented in a fashion that only serves to introduce a load of waiting to the platforming. The hover makes Mario ascend and move at an excruciating pace, to the point that any jump that you can't make without it takes two or three seconds longer than it would with a standard double jump, since you have to wait as you slowly and awkwardly make it far or high enough to clear the gap. The rocket jet, ironically enough, has the opposite problem, since you're waiting an even longer amount of time to fall onto the platform since you no doubt overshot the jump by a significant margin (because the jet only has one setting: "high as fuck"). I like the idea of FLUDD, but as it appears in Sunshine, it goes against everything that made the platforming in every Mario game before it so snappy and fun. The turbo jet is the most entertaining of the three forms, but (of course) you end up unlocking it last and having the least amount of things to do with it.

There are about half the amount of worlds as there were in 64 (with about a quarter of that game's variety thanks to the setting), but the game still tries to act like there's a Mario 64 amount of content with 120 Shine Sprites, meaning that there is a load of filler. Even before you get to the lousy Blue Coins, there are so many repeat boss fights (I think there are only two or three you don't fight more than once) and countless hidden Shines that are either in esoteric locations or are just a frustrating exercise in tedium to get, and the low amount of worlds means that you'll very often be in a situation where you're stuck between two or three different shines that you don't want to get, but have to to progress. You know that old thing of "that one level" that keeps people from revisiting a game? Super Mario Sunshine is a game full of those: there's the Chucksters, the stupid watermelon thing, the Sand Bird, the straight-up busted pachinko game, and the fucking lily-pad ride that puts you through hell before you even get to make a single attempt at it. If a level is tolerable, it's probably dull and unimaginative. If it's creative, it's probably broken or frustrating as shit. Again, this is before getting to the 240 Blue Coins that make up a fifth of the game's content. Sure, the "Secret of" levels where you're FLUDDless are great, but you could probably count the amount of good ones with both hands, and what does it say about the game if everybody's favorite parts of it are the sections without FLUDD?

Super Mario Sunshine fucks things up pretty much every step of the way, and I'm really excited to see Dan pluck it from the movie theater dumpster and wash it off for everyone to see. Anyone who likes that game was either a child that had no time for the game to disrespect, or someone who just swallows whatever has the Nintendo Seal on it, no questions asked.

And is oti really someone you want to emulate?

this was longer than some of the entries in my thread and I hate you for it

So I caved and bought Nier: Automata

I have 13, most of them I'd say took little to no effort:
- Tearaway
- inFamous Second Son
- The Order 1886
- Life is Strange
- Gravity Rush Remastered
- Virtue's Last Reward
- Zero Time Dilemma
- No Man's Sky
- Final Fantasy XV
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Gravity Rush 2
- Persona 5
- Steins;Gate 0

Plus a ton of 100% games that didn't have plats.

Nice on Persona 5 and FFXV! I would like to get both of those at some point.

No original Steins;Gate plat?

Real Hero

Super Mario Sunshine fucks things up pretty much every step of the way, and I'm really excited to see Dan pluck it from the movie theater dumpster and wash it off for everyone to see. Anyone who likes that game was either a child that had no time for the game to disrespect, or someone who just swallows whatever has the Nintendo Seal on it, no questions asked.

Or they just liked it

Within your first hour or two with the game you do the same boss fight where you have to wait for a Piranha Plant to open its mouth so you can spray water in it about four or five different times, and go through about ten, fifteen minutes of unskippable narrative dumps. There's literally a scene where you're just sitting there as FLUDD is explaining the story in his monotone voice, and they even do the Ocarina of Time "do you want to hear this again" thing at the end of it.

Of all of the games to add a jarring narrative focus to, they choose the game with a world filled with lame ass Piantas and Nokis. Think of the characters introduced in Sunshine. Are they anybody's favorite? Toadsworth is a boring butler stereotype, the natives of Isle Delfino aren't even really allowed to have personalities since 99% of them don't speak a human language, and Bowser Jr. is just obnoxious. Even if you like Bowser Jr., it's likely because he reminds you of the fonder memories you have of that Baby Bowser fight in Yoshi's Island. It all makes it impossible to care about what's going on in any of the cutscenes.

FLUDD is cool on paper, but his powers are implemented in a fashion that only serves to introduce a load of waiting to the platforming. The hover makes Mario ascend and move at an excruciating pace, to the point that any jump that you can't make without it takes two or three seconds longer than it would with a standard double jump, since you have to wait as you slowly and awkwardly make it far or high enough to clear the gap. The rocket jet, ironically enough, has the opposite problem, since you're waiting an even longer amount of time to fall onto the platform since you no doubt overshot the jump by a significant margin (because the jet only has one setting: "high as fuck"). I like the idea of FLUDD, but as it appears in Sunshine, it goes against everything that made the platforming in every Mario game before it so snappy and fun. The turbo jet is the most entertaining of the three forms, but (of course) you end up unlocking it last and having the least amount of things to do with it.

There are about half the amount of worlds as there were in 64 (with about a quarter of that game's variety thanks to the setting), but the game still tries to act like there's a Mario 64 amount of content with 120 Shine Sprites, meaning that there is a load of filler. Even before you get to the lousy Blue Coins, there are so many repeat boss fights (I think there are only two or three you don't fight more than once) and countless hidden Shines that are either in esoteric locations or are just a frustrating exercise in tedium to get, and the low amount of worlds means that you'll very often be in a situation where you're stuck between two or three different shines that you don't want to get, but have to to progress. You know that old thing of "that one level" that keeps people from revisiting a game? Super Mario Sunshine is a game full of those: there's the Chucksters, the stupid watermelon thing, the Sand Bird, the straight-up busted pachinko game, and the fucking lily-pad ride that puts you through hell before you even get to make a single attempt at it. If a level is tolerable, it's probably dull and unimaginative. If it's creative, it's probably broken or frustrating as shit. Again, this is before getting to the 240 Blue Coins that make up a fifth of the game's content. Sure, the "Secret of" levels where you're FLUDDless are great, but you could probably count the amount of good ones with both hands, and what does it say about the game if everybody's favorite parts of it are the sections without FLUDD?

h5CuDH9.gif

240 Blue coins?!? 1/5 of the stars?!? Wow, totally forgot that... Yeah, fuck collecting all that shit. I don't even think there is a checklist in the game, right?

You don't see the unironic "not only is the game bad, people who like it are bad!" argument too often anymore. Reminds me of GameFAQs.

if that's all you guys are going to focus on I'll get it out of the way and point out that I wasn't serious and people can like whatever they want to like

240 Blue coins?!? 1/5 of the stars?!? Wow, totally forgot that... Yeah, fuck collecting all that shit. I don't even think there is a checklist in the game, right?

nope, it's all on you to keep track of those 240 collectibles

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You don't see the unironic "not only is the game bad, people who like it are bad!" argument too often anymore. Reminds me of GameFAQs.

but in this case it's true. only time piston has ever been right about something.

i am 100% serious all the time. look at me. im serious.

Yeesh you really hate Sunshine, Piston! I don't hate it, I was just really let down by it since I bought a Gamecube to play it and now I hold a grudge against it forever.

if that's all you guys are going to focus on I'll get it out of the way and point out that I wasn't serious and people can like whatever they want to like

nope, it's all on you to keep track of those 240 collectibles

That's it! Mark it! This is the first time an internet stranger changed my mind... I'm now in the camp that Mario Sunshine is probably not actually a good game.
By Mario Standards of course.

but in this case it's true. only time piston has ever been right about something.

i am 100% serious all the time. look at me. im serious.

I'm really not qualified to determine when people are serious or not on the internet. I need to see like, a literal tongue-in-cheek.

Fireblend

Banned

I appreciate the thought and effort that went into this answer, I really do. I was like 13 when I played through it I think? And I had an ok time with it. I've always been easy to please, but from your post I'm willing to believe I wouldn't have a good time with it nowadays.

Can't wait to see how Dan does.

Wow if you switched "Sunshine" with "Breath of the Wild" and "FLUDD" with "weapon durability" its like youre describing BotW to a T.

killroy87

Wow if you switched "Sunshine" with "Breath of the Wild" and "FLUDD" with "weapon durability" its like youre describing BotW to a T.

Weapon durability is cool on paper, but his powers are implemented in a fashion that only serves to introduce a load of waiting to the platforming. The hover makes Mario ascend and move at an excruciating pace, to the point that any jump that you can't make without it takes two or three seconds longer than it would with a standard double jump, since you have to wait as you slowly and awkwardly make it far or high enough to clear the gap. The rocket jet, ironically enough, has the opposite problem, since you're waiting an even longer amount of time to fall onto the platform since you no doubt overshot the jump by a significant margin (because the jet only has one setting: "high as fuck"). I like the idea of weapon durability, but as it appears in Sunshine, it goes against everything that made the platforming in every Mario game before it so snappy and fun. The turbo jet is the most entertaining of the three forms, but (of course) you end up unlocking it last and having the least amount of things to do with it.

Silly goose, no you're not.

Piston..... Thank you. I've been saying this for years! People are blind as to how absolutely bad Sunshine is and even my best friend loves it. I can't wait for him to watch GBEast struggle through this piece of trash game and see it for what it really is. Like you said, the FLUDDless levels are the only levels that are even remotely fun. I only played through it in it's entirety last year and basically hate played through it so I could actually know how bad it was, since I never got passed the first couple worlds when it originally came out. It's a Bad Game.... period. And a shame that it was Mario 64/s successor too.

I'm glad you're back, Piston. Good post.

killroy87

The way they tend to look back on past games is super weird. It's Zelda in this instance, but they do it on a yearly basis with those early releases that get kind of forgotten, where they almost just randomly turn on the game.

First they talk about how they pick up Zelda again, and they've forgotten how to play and where they are. Then they talk about how they aren't enjoying themselves...but don't seem to acknowledge that that's probably because they've forgotten how to play and where they are int he game.

It's just interesting, because they're taking these out of context impressions that are super unfair to the game (Zelda works best when you invest time in it), and then write the game off really brazenly, without acknowledging that they spent a solid month's worth of podcasts praising the game on a weekly basis.

I'm not trying to get defensive over Zelda itself, it's just the most recent game they've done this with.

If nothing else you guys have made me excited to see how Dan feels when returning to the game. I've never touched Sunshine myself.

the dude had an entire 24 hours and a vault full of games with which he could play any Mario game he wanted, and he didn't touch Sunshine once

that couldn't be an accident

Sure, Piston.
Sure.

you're always in here evangelizing these games without ever talking about why they're any good

if you're really that passionate about Sunshine, step up, man

I remember having fun with Sunshine as an early teen. But I also remember being disappointed in FLUDD, and that the parts without the backpack were the best. I'm VERY curious to see GB play it.

oti

Banned
ahahaha, fair enough, my apologies

but still, there's a reason my mind jumped to you when I wrote that

there's plenty of games you just kinda dig in your heels with and never actually get into

like, explain what's so bad about the Genesis Sonic games in Sunshine's place

Sonic.

Kassu

Banned
Some of the Mario sports games are better than Sunshine.

That being said I'm excited to see Dan play through it. Hope he plays that fucking Sand Bird stage because it's possibly the worst video game level ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom