• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario Sunshine had better controls than Mario 64, whatever else you say about it its controls are super tight.

the thing I like about Sunshine over Mario 64 is that when you press buttons Mario actually does the thing you want him to do all the time instead of just sometimes

- J - D -

the game has incredible movement and proceeds to do next to nothing with it since it's so focused on FLUDD

But FLUDD actually helps improve movement though. You can use it to move faster than in any other 3D Mario game.

Whether or not the GB crew will actually figure it out is another thing entirely though.

FLUDD and the hover nozzle are a big part of that movement though, not sure how you can say this

I think he means that there are a lot of locomotion options separate from (and including) FLUDD, which could make the game feel fast and kinetic. Instead, the game continually slows you down to do boring and finicky things like cleaning up mud all of the time. It's definitely one of the core issues.

Games that came out a year before Sunshine

MGS2
Silent Hill 2
Jak and Dexter
ICO
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Twisted Metal: Black
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
SSX Tricky
Max Payne
Virtua Fighter 4
Soul Reaver 2
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Rumble Racing
Hot Shots Golf 3

But FLUDD actually helps improve movement though. You can use it to move faster than in any other 3D Mario game.

Whether or not the GB crew will actually figure it out is another thing entirely though.

but then the game expects you to move fast like two or three times throughout the entire game

"oh cool I can traverse the hub really fast" is nice, but they don't actually design any setpieces around the coolest shit you can do in the game

that, and the main functions of FLUDD make the platforming boring, as I explained before

MGS2
Silent Hill 2
Jak and Dexter
ICO
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
SSX Tricky
Max Payne
Virtua Fighter 4
Soul Reaver 2
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Rumble Racing
Hot Shots Golf 3

Again, I don't think many here are saying it's amazing like Dan is. Even then, I'd put Sunshine against TM: B, BG: DA and SR 2 any day. It holds up better than the TM games, for sure. I recently tried TM: B and... yeaaah...

"3D World, if you count that." Thank you, Dan, for making that distinction. I feel like a few people wouldn't.

MGS2
Silent Hill 2
Jak and Dexter
ICO
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
SSX Tricky
Max Payne
Virtua Fighter 4
Soul Reaver 2
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Rumble Racing
Hot Shots Golf 3

Grand Theft Auto 3

2001 was an awesome gaming year

- J - D -

but then the game expects you to move fast like two or three times throughout the entire game

"oh cool I can traverse the hub really fast" is nice, but they don't actually design any setpieces around the coolest shit you can do in the game

that, and the main functions of FLUDD make the platforming boring, as I explained before

I think that's because getting the most out of FLUDD takes some effort to master so revolving the whole of the game around the movement would've put off the broader audience. While I don't llove some of the slower mud-cleaning and/or spray-platforming segments that comprise a large portion of the game, I don't think it being a more methodical process makes it inherently bad. If anything I found it to be a pleasant change of pace.

Grand Theft Auto 3

2001 was an awesome gaming year

Final Fantasy X as well, and Devil May Cry. (Edit: And Gran Turismo 3, right?)

And Halo. And Roque Squadron 2.

2001 was an insane year, so saying Sunshine isn't as good as some of the greatest games of all time is using a pretty high bar. Against, it's good to great, just not top-tier amazing.

Also, stop using the controls as an excuse, Alex...

Wtkawrr.gif

I can preform every move perfectly without thinking I'm going to screw up and not go exactly where I want in Mario 64, but in Sunshine the controls are obtuse and don't function properly half of the time, You end up going places you never intended to at all. Alex, Vinny and Abbey are all 1000% percent correct.

I think that's because getting the most out of FLUDD takes some effort to master so revolving the whole of the game around the movement would've put off the broader audience. While I don't llove some of the slower mud-cleaning and/or spray-platforming segments that comprise a large portion of the game, I don't think it being a more methodical process makes it inherently bad. If anything I found it to be a pleasant change of pace.

The "put off the broader audience" argument falls apart once you look at some of the stupid bullshit you have to do in this game. They already do stupidly difficult stuff in the game, it's just that none of it revolves around the mechanics that are actually fun

I can preform every move perfectly without thinking I'm going to screw up and not go exactly where I want in Mario 64, but in Sunshine the controls are obtuse and don't function properly half of the time, You end up going places you never intended to at all. Alex, Vinny and Abbey are all 1000% percent correct.

This is the opposite of reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom