• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
The camera and blue coins are the biggest issues in Mario Sunshine.

The controls are fine.

daveo42

Banned
Nice on Persona 5 and FFXV! I would like to get both of those at some point.

No original Steins;Gate plat?

I beat it on PC when it first came over to NA a few years ago and bought the Vita version when it was on sale for next to nothing. I'll replay it on Vita eventually.

oti

Banned
I really like this format. They could use it with other Mario games or any game with many small-sized levels. Like puzzle games maybe.

Maybe they should just do Mario 64 next week. The surely won't have any control problems with that game

To this day I don't understand the distinction between when Mario does a dive and when he doesn't

i wont take it back. Mario 64 is garbage with a bullet son.

I wouldn't call it garbage, but it's the worst 3D Mario platformer imo. Every other game following it improved it in such a way to make 64 obsolete.

I feel like I need to go back and try playing it again before saying it's an easy game, but at the very least I don't remember it being even remotely this hard, lol

Wtkawrr.gif

I don't think this is that far from Galaxy

Dan meant control-wise, and I'd probably agree.

compare dan to playing it to the rest of them

there may be something more than controls that are wrong

Again I'm not watching it atm but I fear they came in with a negative attitude and when that happens you don't tend to get better. Maybe they are mostly playing it up though?

The absolute worst part about Sunshine is that you have to beat the first seven shines of each level to beat the game. That's completely at odds with 64 and the Galaxy games, which offer the player a lot of freedom as to what objectives they pursue.

- J - D -

I feel like I need to go back and try playing it again before saying it's an easy game, but at the very least I don't remember it being even remotely this hard, lol

It's not! It's just that 3/4 of the crew were immediately dismissive and the added competitive structure of this feature isn't conducive to figuring out the game in a relaxed manner.

Some of the later parts, especially without the FLUDD as a fail-safe, are quite difficult. But it's because it's designed to be a skill test, not because of the controls.

Harpuia

Yeah the controls are not what's wrong about sunshine. Now the shine quests (the watermelon one and chucksters), the bosses and anytime the game makes you use the boat/leaf? And not any of the fun parts that make movement in the game feel good? Those are the parts of the game that are undeniably questionable. They made all the cool water mechanics and then made a game that quite didn't take advantage of most of the controls..

Wait, you aren't watching it? Then how did you just describe Alex's attitude so accurately?

It's not! It's just that 3/4 of the crew were immediately dismissive and the added competitive structure of this feature isn't conducive to figuring out the game in a relaxed manner.

I watched the first 20-30 minutes lol.

But yeah in addition to hampering their learning of the game it's not really a great time for a feature. People didn't complain that much about Dan sucking at Yakuza until he got pissy about it.

I made sure ;p

Hmm, yeah, they transitioned from talking about controls to quality in one sentence -- pretty much Dan saying "I think the Galaxy games are some of the best games ever, but I don't think this is that far from Galaxy." I could see either way, but I will cede the point.

I also guess the craziness of his statement is based on what "that far from Galaxy" means. Like, does Dan think this is one of the best platformers ever, or just a great entry?

XbXS1HX.png

2951195-cp_beastintheeast_part23_07122017.01_52_56_38.still002.jpg

We made it, fam.

I don't know but I'm really enjoying this feature. Alex and Dan's back & forth is great.

I agree, more features need differences of opinion. Honestly, a lot of journos tend to group with people of like opinions, and it can make features and podcasts boring. Some of the best content 1Up did back in the day had people like Garnett, Shane and Luke going back and forth with each other.

Trying to discern whether or not people like the stream through this thread alone is a treat
I'm enjoying it. The crew's personalities make watching almost any game fun.

oti

Banned
Trying to discern whether or not people like the stream through this thread alone is a treat

I enjoy it! Would be better if Alex wasn't such a downer though. We get it. Just try to have fun, dude. That's why we're here.

It's not Mario Party Party. That's cool for the misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom