• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

What's the other ben related image?

2939017-benpack.gif

Hasney

Playing Crash remake and it's not as horrible as I remember as a kid.

Still not even on the level of Sonic Adventure 1 or 2 though, but better than Sonic Heroes.

Hasney

Excited about the Demo Derby because the last one was great. Also glad that Giant Cop is on VRodeo because I've been so curious about it since the PC Gaming Show at E3 2016.

- J - D -

I'm not that excited about the new demo derby because the last one was pretty bad. Without either Dan or Drew it really dragged.

I think that's because in the past it was an equal contribution by Jeff, Drew, and Dan. Now I think Jeff is forced to carry the show. Brad doesn't add much and Ben is still finding his legs. now the balance is off.

It'll take a while for this new structure to feel right, like That 70s Show after both Eric and Kelso left.

oti

Banned
Going through some #content to catch up.

- Mary is super right about PUBG
- the wobble on their 2DS XL would drive me absolutely crazy

Seventy70

this seems to be just jeff and ben too

I would take a Demo Derby with just Jeff. All I ask is that they do them more frequently :'(

That makes me wonder if a remote session Game Tapes would be possible. There would probably be too much delay in between. I hope they do something cool with the Mixer stuff.
Going through some #content to catch up.

- Mary is super right about PUBG
- the wobble on their 2DS XL would drive me absolutely crazy
Yeah, Mary nailed it. The beginning of the matches are pretty much just filler. It's an entertaining game to watch, but one of the reasons I've held off on buying it is because it feels like so much is out of your control. A large part of the game depends on you getting lucky.

Saty

A GBE-only content subscription option is becoming more and more enticing. The West studio is in tatters honestly. Ben Pack downright sucks. I'm finding myself increasingly avoiding content he is prominently in. He even fucked up 'total steam request live' now. His voice is unpleasant to the ear; he tries too hard to be funny and he brings fucking nothing to the table. He doesn't have anything interesting or different to say and he doesn't cover games other members don't.

He's just another body to crank out (still-too-short-and-superficial) Quick Looks and fill a 4th spot in co-op games. Surely the job applications Jeff received had someone better? Someone that isn't basically a copy of existing members but worse? And to think from all the applications they chose a guy that they already worked with. What a disappointing addition.

Contrast that to Abby in the east coast who was hired chiefly for behind-the-camera work but has already slid-in comfortably in all kinds of content and actually holding her own.
I can definitely say Abby has been a positive and contributing addition to the gang. Ben isn't.

jaina

In good company with Metal Gear Scanlon V ep. 14 - 20 and Breaking Brad Geometry Wars. The most recent Murder Island's I've deleted straight away, got my fill.

Scizzy

A GBE-only content subscription option is becoming more and more enticing. The West studio is in tatters honestly. Ben Pack downright sucks. I'm finding myself increasingly avoiding content he is prominently in. He even fucked up 'total steam request live' now. His voice is unpleasant to the ear; he tries too hard to be funny and he brings fucking nothing to the table. He doesn't have anything interesting or different to say and he doesn't cover games other members don't.

He's just another body to crank out (still-too-short-and-superficial) Quick Looks and fill a 4th spot in co-op games. Surely the job applications Jeff received had someone better? Someone that isn't basically a copy of existing members but worse? And to think from all the applications they chose a guy that they already worked with. What a disappointing addition.

Ben's haters are his elevators. He pushes their buttons and they move him.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
In good company with Metal Gear Scanlon V ep. 14 - 20 and Breaking Brad Geometry Wars. The most recent Murder Island's I've deleted straight away, got my fill.

I would say the most recent murder island is where they found out how to make it slightly entertaining, but fair enough.

Ben is the least of GBWest's problems right now, and the takedown is p harsh, but I definitely consider all my subscription being for GBE. Which is fine I guess.

Contrast that to Abby in the east coast who was hired chiefly for behind-the-camera work but has already slid-in comfortably in all kinds of content and actually holding her own.
I can definitely say Abby has been a positive and contributing addition to the gang. Ben isn't.

I can live with the aggressive throwing of shade because #ThisIsNeoGAF but suggesting Jeff of all people doesn't know what he is doing is just mental. Fucking baffling opinion.

Antiwhippy

Aren't they still hiring for GBWest?

Yeah, Simeone to help out with jadon i believe.

Funniest thing about gbwest haters is that they go "LUL JASON LUL" when something minor goes wrong but stays completely silent when the East does it, like when they needed up the prey upload at first.

Even Vinny has talked about appreciating all the work jason had to do alone, especially for the e3 stuff.

But i guess that's how being myopic is.

I mean a screwy upload is one thing but going minutes without realising the stream isn't showing gameplay on a gaming website is another, then being completely oblivious it was fixed, then making the same mistake twice over after.

Nah, Ben rules.

Owned.

Antiwhippy

And that's why they're hiring help.

But it's a minor moment too just as the uploading incident is. How do we decide what's worth screaming over the other? East had their production hiccups too when vinny was struggling alone.

From all indications Vinny was struggling pretty hard too being the sole producer before abby came on. You can see he genuinely appreciate what Jason is doing even with the stuff he had to deal with.

Antiwhippy

Hell, the great showing for e3 this year, which people loved, was due to the hard work of jason breaking down the studio gear to move over.

And that's why they're hiring help.

But it's a minor moment too just as the uploading incident is. How do we decide what's worth screaming over the other? East had their production hiccups too when vinny was struggling alone.

From all indications Vinny was struggling pretty hard too being the sole producer before abby came on. You can see he genuinely appreciate what Jason is doing even with the stuff he had to deal with.

Vinny is the main draw of GBE and often streamed, played games and did stream control at the same time. Jason is a dedicated video producer with a team of three editors and Rorie, it's not the same. It's obvious he works hard but there are basics for a live show.

The E3 work is great, granted.

I mean a screwy upload is one thing but going minutes without realising the stream isn't showing gameplay on a gaming website is another, then being completely oblivious it was fixed, then making the same mistake twice over after.

That was Ben's mistake, he had the keyboard. I suppose you could make the argument that Jason should have been in the control room but they were in a tough spot with only Jeff & Ben there and they clearly made the decision to have Jason in front of camera to have an extra person on stream.
I definitely see where you're coming from but I don't subscribe to the whole "Jason is bad at this job" narrative, the dude is killing it over there.

That was Ben's mistake, he had the keyboard. I suppose you could make the argument that Jason should have been in the control room but they were in a tough spot with only Jeff & Ben there and they clearly made the decision to have Jason in front of camera to have an extra person on stream.
I definitely see where you're coming from but I don't subscribe to the whole "Jason is bad at this job" narrative, the dude is killing it over there.

I appreciated having Jason on the couch instead of being locked in the control room.

Antiwhippy

Vinny is the main draw of GBE and often streamed, played games and did stream control at the same time. Jason is a dedicated video producer with a team of three editors and Rorie, it's not the same.

The E3 work is great, granted.

And editors are not producers for a reason, trust me. Studio work is not for amateurs.

And he has to assist with editorial work too. I'm not going to say it's on par with Vinny because it's not, but to say that he's been dedicating an of his time to just producing is well, false.

It's not like I'm saying Vinny isn't doing great work too, because he's probably the most important member to me right after jeff, but do you need him to be on par with vinny to not trash on him? When vinny had minor hiccups too i don't really comment on it, because they are a) minor, and b) i know how hard it is to produce by yourself. People don't really appreciate how much work goes into it.

When abby came on vinny got sick next podcast they joked that it's his body finally telling him that it's alright to get sick. There's some truth to that.

I mean it's clear people who think that never dabbled with video shit and codecs. To have the entire thing stream onto fuck tons of sources just sounds like a pain in the fucking ass, have nothing but respect & appreciation for Jason. Here's hoping a helping hand comes along soon because if Vinny looked that happy when Abby joined then man....

Nobody is saying Jason doesn't work hard but there are basics and ensuring the stream is showing gameplay is up there.

I'm also not trashing him, you brought up that "LUL JASON LUL" people are being 'myopic' and compared it to Vinny carrying GBE.

Saty

I have no reason to be a Ben 'hater' just like i wasn't a Dan or Austin 'hater' when they joined even though we know how harsh the reaction was for the former. I provided feedback why i think Ben is proving to be a poor choice, especially after the West coast losing Dan and Drew in a row. I'm not one to post regularly about GB content or 'personalities' so if i find myself compelled to write this, i'm sure others are also iffy about what Ben is bringing to the table.

Dan joined in July 2015:

Encyclopedia Bombastica: Twisted Metal 2 - July 5th
The start of the Dan & Drew duo with Ghostship Aftermath QL - July 22
Mario fucking Party fucking Party 1 - July 29
Demo Derby - likewise - Aug 8
Metal Gear Scanlon (!) - Aug 20

Content spearheaded and motivated by Dan. 3 top-notch Premium features that simply wouldn't exist without him. And that's w\o the weekly shows, QL and podcasts which show the immediate 'click' between Dan and the rest and the fans.

You can probably make a similar list for Austin.

Now, for Ben...Umm? mini-podcast my first E3? Forced attempts to be funny and goofy every show? Frankly he has done practically nothing that couldn't be inter-changeable by any other person who would have filled the position.

Antiwhippy

You can probably make a similar list for Austin.

I would actually be interested in this.

Now seriously, if you want to win your argument with stats, bring me the relevant, unique content created from their start date of Austin, Patrick & Abby so we can actually have a proper stat off instead of cherry picking.

Because really, I've followed Giantbomb for a long time and Dan is honestly the anomaly in quite a lot of ways.

Also I just want to say this is a weird competition to have.

I mean it's not like the new premium features are dripping out of Brad, Jeff or Jason either. It's not a Ben problem.

Dan is a force of nature and GB are very, very lucky to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom