• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakinn

I took advantage of being sick to finish Pyre. Ended up with mixed feelings about it. It has my favorite story and characters in any Supergiant game. The game out stays its welcome after a certain point and got kinda monotonous towards the end. It's gorgeous artwork and music kinda gets ruined by technical issues too.

I don't like Steal My Sunshine much at all. I'd love to write a whole post about why, but I feel it'd just get shouted down unanimously. And that tells me I'm in a small minority so I guess I'll just not watch it. Glad others are enjoying it.

Zaph

Abby....

lUC0FTS.gif

I don't like Steal My Sunshine much at all. I'd love to write a whole post about why, but I feel it'd just get shouted down unanimously. And that tells me I'm in a small minority so I guess I'll just not watch it. Glad others are enjoying it.

OMG SHUT UP

Seriously though, I don't think you'll get shouted down for expressing why you don't like a feature. Plenty of people do that here, sometimes it even makes for good discussion!

It's ok, I hate it too. Sunshine is a bad game in general, and it being a Mario game makes it even worse. The whole "meta" game/betting really makes the whole thing even worse. It's background noise at best, but I can't get behind the feature at all. The betting/gumball aspect completely takes away from them talking about the game at all (which the game sucks yeah, but they don't go in depth into it at all)

I'm really hating this new way these features are going, where they involve gimmicks and other things instead of just playing games (wheather they are good or bad) and talking about the game with some hang out talk as well. Everything about steal my sunshine screams "YouTube" to me, and its really off putting. I can't stand it. I really hope that this isn't where the site is headed, because if it is, I'll probably stop subbing. I don't need more melllinial type youtube/dabbing crap, I'd be happy with just watching Jeff play Commodore 64 games at home.

It's ok, I hate it too. Sunshine is a bad game in general, and it being a Mario game makes it even worse. The whole "meta" game/betting really makes the whole thing even worse. It's background noise at best, but I can't get behind the feature at all. The betting/gumball aspect completely takes away from them talking about the game at all (which the game sucks yeah, but they don't go in depth into it at all)

I'm really hating this new way these features are going, where they involve gimmicks and other things instead of just playing games (wheather they are good or bad) and talking about the game with some hang out talk as well. Everything about steal my sunshine screams "YouTube" to me, and its really off putting. I can't stand it. I really hope that this isn't where the site is headed, because if it is, I'll probably stop subbing. I don't need more melllinial type youtube/dabbing crap, I'd be happy with just watching Jeff play Commodore 64 games at home.

Dude you wrote just about exactly what I wanted to say. You're not alone. The only thing I'd add is that I feel like the tone of GB East has been changing for the worse over the past several months, and has changed even more quickly with the addition of Abby. And I don't dislike Abby; I just feel that when they added her, they accelerated this change and I don't like it much at all.

I feel the same way about the Beastcast. It's turning into a variety comedy show type thing and it just feels like they're all playing characters.

kingocfs

It's definitely alright, but it's overhyped as usual.

I think that if they tried to play Mario Sunshine without a gimmick, it'd be...unwatchable.

Zaph

If you prefer more of the games-for-games-sake features, I get that, but unless Jeff is in it (with his near unlimited fount of knowledge), very few games are worthy of two hours of conversation.

They should play to their strengths - more TOGS (rip) from Jeff, more fucking nonsense from Dan.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Funny its the total opposite for me "playing a game while hangout talking" is why I burned out on basically all but one or two YT Lets Play channels, while the dumbfuckery Dan is putting them up to is half the fun here

EDIT: They basically need these sort of gimmicks for games without other potential for chaos IMO. Like Brad's Dead Rising streams were a snoozefest for me because I was just...watching him play Dead Rising. If there's not the potential of watching everything go off the rails (Murder Island, Kerbal) then stuff like the stupid gumball thing really spices stuff up

Patryn

Dude you wrote just about exactly what I wanted to say. You're not alone. The only thing I'd add is that I feel like the tone of GB East has been changing for the worse over the past several months, and has changed even more quickly with the addition of Abby. And I don't dislike Abby; I just feel that when they added her, they accelerated this change and I don't like it much at all.

I feel the same way about the Beastcast. It's turning into a variety comedy show type thing and it just feels like they're all playing characters.

I have to respectfully disagree. IMO, the Beastcast is starting to approach the feel of the golden era of the Bombcast (the pre-Patrick and then the 5-man Bombcast days) when they'd easily go 60-80 minutes of random talk before they'd even mention a game. Back in that day, it really felt at least to be half a general comedy podcast.

And, personally, I'm loving it. I find it so much more entertaining and lively to listen to.

I have to respectfully disagree. IMO, the Beastcast is starting to approach the feel of the golden era of the Bombcast (the pre-Patrick and then the 5-man Bombcast days) when they'd easily go 60-80 minutes of random talk before they'd even mention a game. Back in that day, it really felt at least to be half a general comedy podcast.

And, personally, I'm loving it. I find it so much more entertaining and lively to listen to.

And I'll disagree back, and here's why. I've listened to the Bombcast since day 1, and the Ryan Davis era will never be topped. But recently I have been listening to what I consider a very good era of Bombcast - the second half of 2013 and the beginning of 2014. The cast was Jeff hosting, Brad, Vinny, and Drew. And Drew hardly talks. I don't think Brad should host and I don't think Vinny should host. But having Brad and Vinny as second and third chairs is perfect (to me). I understand it can never be that way again.

Maybe my issue is that I just don't like Vinny hosting. I love Vinny on podcasts and streams. Just not as the host, which is what he is almost full time now.

MILLENIALS ARE RUINING GIANTBOMB.

I feel like you are just joking around... but the sad fact is, that it is 1000% totally true. GBEast is basically the same as any other "comedy" thing on youtube. I can't make it through Beastcasts anymore. I've been on the road all week and saw some new premium podcast with Ben and Abby about "New Business"....wow... what the hell did I listen to for about 15 mins? It sounded exactly like some awful rip off copy of some McElroy's podcast. Litterally nothing interesting was said, it was just joking around for likle 15-20 mins (which is all I could make it through) (Also, I can't stand the McElroy's)

Jeff needs to sell Giant Bomb and leave and form a new company where they get back to just playing and talking about video games. I don't need to ever hear the word "dab" ever again in my life. I'm seriously done with this "ironic" making fun of mellinials/memes. If you make that refferance and then keep making it and then KEEP talking about this. It's not ironic, you just actually like it and are interested in it.

GBEast is for kids. Give me Old games show with Jeff everytime over anything GBEast puts out now.

While I agree with you that they should engage with the game they are playing rather than talking over it, for Sunshine I feel like the betting gimmick enhances a feature that would otherwise be dull and boring.

I agree with this 1000%.

I feel like you are just joking around... but the sad fact is, that it is 1000% totally true. GBEast is basically the same as any other "comedy" thing on youtube. I can't make it through Beastcasts anymore. I've been on the road all week and saw some new premium podcast with Ben and Abby about "New Business"....wow... what the hell did I listen to for about 15 mins? It sounded exactly like some awful rip off copy of some McElroy's podcast. Litterally nothing interesting was said, it was just joking around for likle 15-20 mins (which is all I could make it through) (Also, I can't stand the McElroy's)

Jeff needs to sell Giant Bomb and leave and form a new company where they get back to just playing and talking about video games. I don't need to ever hear the word "dab" ever again in my life. I'm seriously done with this "ironic" making fun of mellinials/memes. If you make that refferance and then keep making it and then KEEP talking about this. It's not ironic, you just actually like it and are interested in it.

GBEast is for kids. Give me Old games show with Jeff everytime over anything GBEast puts out now.

You're doing a better job of saying what I want to say than I am. I agree with you 100%. But we're not ever going to get back to what we want. They must have a lot of data that backs up what they're doing and they're not going in this direction just for the hell of it.

Patryn

And I'll disagree back, and here's why. I've listened to the Bombcast since day 1, and the Ryan Davis era will never be topped. But recently I have been listening to what I consider a very good era of Bombcast - the second half of 2013 and the beginning of 2014. The cast was Jeff hosting, Brad, Vinny, and Drew. And Drew hardly talks. I don't think Brad should host and I don't think Vinny should host. But having Brad and Vinny as second and third chairs is perfect (to me). I understand it can never be that way again.

Maybe my issue is that I just don't like Vinny hosting. I love Vinny on podcasts and streams. Just not as the host, which is what he is almost full time now.

Fascinating. I consider that period (the post-Ryan, pre-Dan) the darkest days of GB. I always felt you could tell that Jeff was going through rough stuff, and nobody really had a ton of enthusiasm.

Jeff is effectively the EiC of Giant Bomb. Are you saying he's making the current content against his will?

Fascinating. I consider that period (the post-Ryan, pre-Dan) the darkest days of GB. I always felt you could tell that Jeff was going through rough stuff, and nobody really had a ton of enthusiasm.

Immediately following the loss of Ryan, I agree. But once they got into the fall of that year, with the new consoles coming out, is one of my favorite times of the Bombcast.

Hey guys what's-

Oh.

Just business as usual then I see.

This latest PUBG is great so far. Cross coast banter has been on point, Alex's "that's a shame, Dan" moment was straight up cathartic, and the flow of action has been almost perfect.

There have been some mediocre episodes, but a good amount of PUBG has been top notch content.

I'd say only 2 really.

The rest is average to "well, I guess I can still have it on the background".

Last one was very good though.

Watched Steal My Sunshine ep 4 last night. Abby's scream is the absolute best. Also the endlessly bleating Yoshi egg. I'd say the only negative I do have is that Sunshine does not seem to be an Alex game at all. He's had some good runs here and there, but yesterday's platforming section with him failing over and over again was a bit hard to watch. Especially when it seemed like Abby had less of an issue with it.

Being less tense during those sections or heading up an alternative route would have been better options as opposed to him missing a handful of jumps over and over again. Good job on chat at least giving him tips here and there on getting around it.

Well, today is Dota day at West...

hey everyone "steal my sunshine" is the best gb feature this year by far

Sunshine continues to deliver. What a great feature.

Good Bombcast this week, I always enjoy episodes with Peter Brown.

Sunshine is fun times.

For us.

Steal My Sunshine is one of the best things GB has ever done.

Yup! business as usual. Man, let the guy express his point of view.

ArjanN

I feel like you are just joking around... but the sad fact is, that it is 1000% totally true.

The thing is that 99% of the time whenever someone is complaining about millenials it turns out that person is just being crotchety and out of touch. So some self-reflection might be in order.

Beast is my fav podcast maybe ever right now. I was thinking today how good it is with the current group of folks. I listen to it twice every week.

What's stopping him?

Behavior like this stops him. I mean atleast he's not shitposting but going indepth about his point of view. I see nothing wrong with that. Sometimes I feel people really don't see all the positivity around here.

Just business as usual.

e: I'm talking in general btw. Not defending anyone.

TheChits

I'm seriously done with this "ironic" making fun of mellinials/memes. If you make that refferance and then keep making it and then KEEP talking about this. It's not ironic, you just actually like it and are interested in it.

I'm not as down on the site as you seem to be, but this stuff is really bad. I fear it won't be going away any time soon though

It's cool. I could argue all day about it but the bottom line is, GB is still my favorite website and I love it dearly. I'm not going on forums and arguing about Polygon or CNN or Weather Underground. I'm only in this thread because GB actually has a fairly large part in my life, as weird as that is to say.

I just don't love it as much lately.

Lari

I love the rampant gambling in Steal My Sunshine, to me that feature is pretty much the perfect balance of talking random stuff and talking about what's going on the screen.
Blue bombin is just an itty bitty leaning towards a little too much side talk but it doesn't diminish my enjoyment and enthusiasm for it.

But then again I am a millenial so what do I know.

Yeah, I wouldn't have watched a regular Sunshine playthrough if it wasn't for the gambling aspect because it brings out the worst in everyone(in a good way). Plus, it adds tension to whatever they do.

I love the rampant gambling in Steal My Sunshine, to me that feature is pretty much the perfect balance of talking random stuff and talking about what's going on the screen.
Blue bombin is just an itty bitty leaning towards a little too much side talk but it doesn't diminish my enjoyment and enthusiasm for it.

But then again I am a millenial so what do I know.

Technically, most people here are millennials. Even the washed-up old dudes like me.

If you watch early GB the entire crew did plenty of silly shit. Ryan would team kill for a laugh, Vinny would make Drew and Dave do crazy stuff in The Flight Club to see what would happen, the sports games would be them screwing around joking about sports while trying to play a game in the worst weather conditions, and all the FMV and Old PC Games were them laughing at how awful the game is. Sometimes entire features would be Vinny trying to break a game.

GB has always been silly but after Ryan passed away it fell into a slump. After Vinny, Dan and then Drew left the West it fell into a pretty dire point. The bombcast and the content was super dull but Ben and Abby have rejuvenated it back to some more of the sillier stuff they used to do.

GB has never been about sitting there quietly playing a game.

The thing is that 99% of the time whenever someone is complaining about millenials it turns out that person is just being crotchety and out of touch. So some self-reflection might be in order.

Oh I'm totally a super crotchety old man. I'm only 31, but I identify with Jeff and Brad over anyone else on the team. Alex and Vinny and Jeffy-B I'm down with too, but any of the younger crew, I really don't enjoy.

Ok, I'm done, I see that there is a ton of pages lately where it's been pretty sour and we should keep it pretty positive in here. This is my fault and I should keep to the old addage of "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" So I'm done. Sorry for going into rant mode. I'll try to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom