• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Beyond good & evil 2 is not a game.

It will never come out.

Unlike Fire Pro Wrestling World

200.gif

I know people who would totally do things like Dan's popcorn and soda story. People who had plenty of money to buy their own shit, but just got off on finding ways to get one over on people.

Barrylad

Neo Member
The last few VRodeos, including this week's, have been real dull, and it's not Jeff or
Ben's fault. There's just nothing worth talking about on these systems. The most recent one had some neat ideas but barely enough to warrant any meaningful discussion.

I feel the VR hype machine is one of the biggest collective Ls the gaming press have taken in ages.

Hasney

I feel the VR hype machine is one of the biggest collective Ls the gaming press have taken in ages.

Not really, there's no "L's" to take. You report on your experiences and that first time you use it is amazing. Hell, playing RIGS is something I still do weekly and it's ruined other FPS games in a similar way that Doom does because nothing feels quite like it.

As long as people are being honest, there's no L's to take.

Barrylad

Neo Member
Maybe I'm jumping the gun, and when the tech is cheaper it'll become more widespread and better utilised by devs, but I think the sheer volume of people who labelled it the future of how we play games (just off the top of my head; Moriarty claiming it was equivalent to the introduction of dual analogue sticks) - yeah, I consider that a mark against someone's credibility.

Obviously I'm not trying to discredit anyone for simply liking the tech and being excited about it.

Barrylad

Neo Member
Tbf they probably stated that before knowing the price and final retail form.
True - and there's definitely still potential for the medium to blow up when something more accessible (yet more powerful than Gear) hits the market.

I'm just saying jets have cooled significantly since launch and I don't see signs of any kind of turn around soon.

derFeef

As a VR user I can understand some views in here, but there is enough stuff that makes it worthwhile for me. If those are games that they show on VRodeo are the games I enjoy and think they would be far better to show off (or how they show it off) is another topic.

Scizzy

If you want pure, unadulterated pre-release VR hype, the place to go is that after E3 Beastcast from two years ago. I think Vinny has prefaced every discussion about VR since with a comment about how hard it is to get the experience across in a conversation and to bear with them.

oti

Banned
There was SO MUCH VR TALK in every podcast. People hyped tech that wasn't ready to be hyped for multiple years.

patapuf

Imo, there's nothing wrong with covering new tech that's not ready for the mass market. Especially for an enthusiast site.

Also for GB specifically it's not like their enthusiasm was fake or that it vanished. As far as I know, they are one of the few generalist sites that still cover VR meaningfully.

And i don't think anyone informed (including GB) were preaching that VR will replace traditional gaming. The caveats were talked about from the beginning.

derFeef

They should also cover more goofy VR games during VRodeo I think, that would help wit hthat feature immensely. Also they should play Airtone.

Hindl

I dunno, we knew this is how VR would go. Yes, a lot of the press hyped it up as the next big thing because when you actually try it it's incredible, and the press always hypes things up like crazy. But in the lead up to VR, whenever I read interviews from the hardware developers, new VR software developers, people like Phil Spencer and Boyes when he was with Sony, people actually doing VR, they all said that this was a long term project. I read dozens of articles from people involved in getting VR going that they knew it wouldn't take off immediately and would be a niche product. They knew the first couple years would be rough while people figured out how to actually make games for it. Most articles I read weren't really expecting VR to become a mainstream consumer thing until at least 5 years down the line.

LiK

Janina finished 3 Uncharted games in the span of a month.

Talk about masochism.

Must have been a groundhog day like experience.

I replayed through all the 3 games in the Remaster collection in 2 evenings, lmao. Was prepping before UC4.

First game was a lot shorter than I remember mainly because they fixed the bullet sponge issue. Second game still had some of the best moments. Third game was still disappointing with some of the worst combat encounters in the franchise. Not even Bluepoint could fix that. It was a good idea to replay them before UC4. The easter eggs/references were a lot fresher. I never got around to playing Golden Abyss so I got none of those references.

imBask

Banned
PUBG unlocks all of it's potential as soon as you stop caring about chicken dinners / kdr

just make your own stories, go to the spiciest areas, have fun

it'd be cool to be able to pickup chairs and tables in houses, just objects in the world, and use them as weapons. i wanna throw a lamp at some dudes head :V

So Beyond Good & Evil was fairly good. Maybe it was better when it first released, but alot of the story tropes didn't age all that well. At leas the photography bits were good and Jade was pretty cool, but the rest felt more like half-concepts thrown in to pad everything else out. It also ends like far too many games of the era...with that sequel tease that may or may not ever actually come.

This at least gets me more interested in the new game, if it does actually release. Hopefully there's more done to flesh out...well everything about the original game.
I replayed it a few years ago and it was still great. The impact however wasn't as strong as it was like when I played it back in the day. That soundtrack is real good though.

Ballad of Hyllis
Frame of MInd
First Encounter
Funky Akuda Bar
Home Sweet Home
Spanish Bar
The last few VRodeos, including this week's, have been real dull, and it's not Jeff or
Ben's fault. There's just nothing worth talking about on these systems. The most recent one had some neat ideas but barely enough to warrant any meaningful discussion.

B7D8pKZ.gif

daveo42

Banned
I replayed it a few years ago and it was still great. The impact however wasn't as strong as it was like when I played it back in the day. That soundtrack is real good though.

Ballad of Hyllis
Frame of MInd
First Encounter
Funky Akuda Bar
Home Sweet Home
Spanish Bar

Yeah, I have to agree on the soundtrack. So many wild, catchy, fun tracks everywhere in that game.

Edit: Ya also missed the slow jam of the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjZCIsPyRGc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom