• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

29th-30th of August is more insane than October for me. Yakuza Kiwami, Mario & Rabbids, Everybody's Golf and Culdecept Revolt... Hope at least one arrives early so I know what to play first.

Tagyhag

The spice is good in this PUBG video, but they need to be even more spicy when they get invaded in a house.

Brad should have smoked the guy while he was reloading instead of just waiting.

It's all about XCOM 2: War of the Chosen in abou a month and a half.
Yeah but Brad fell off it. Maybe he'll go back for the DLC but, to quote Dan's Witcher argument, how much can you love it if you didn't finish it?

That isn't a good position on two levels:

1. Games are different lengths. If you spent 200 hours or whatever in the Witcher and didn't finish it, that's different than having spent 4 hours on Inside and 100%ing it.
  2. It turns passion into a weapon. "I completed this" suddenly becomes worth more than "I completed this other game and played a bit of yours and think mine's better." Wikipedia isn't a substitute for experience.

It will be Zelda because Jeff will force the conversation into breaking down games into components, and Zelda is flawless; it's a game of the generation. Meanwhile, PUB will still be in Early Access. Horizon will simply exist, and anything else will only have the above passion argument as a path to victory.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I kinda feel like zelda looks worse if you break it down into components lol. I mean if you want to talk about the story it's bad. The combat is kinda just adequate to mediocre. The dungeons aren't great and there's too little of them. The loot system is pretty unrewarding. Shrines are cool but way too padded out with combat shrines.

Zelda is all about that je n'ais se quoi.

Games we're going to get this year:
  • Splatoon 2
  • Pyre
  • Hey! Pikmin
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Tacoma
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • LawBreakers
  • Agents of Mayhem
  • Sonic Mania
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  • Absolver
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • Life Is Strange: Before the Storm — Episode 1
  • Knack 2
  • Destiny 2
  • Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
  • Divinity: Original Sin II
  • Dishonored 2: Death Of The Outsider
  • Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
  • Project CARS 2
  • NBA 2K18
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
  • Total War: Warhammer II
  • Cuphead
  • Fifa 18
  • Forza Motorsport 7
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of War
  • The Evil Within 2
  • South Park: The Fractured but Whole
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Call of Duty: WWII
  • Crackdown 3
  • Need for Speed Payback
  • Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
  • Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2
  • Star Wars Battlefront II
  • Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
  • Vampyr
    [*]Metroid: Samus Returns AM2R

Hindl

It's all about XCOM 2: War of the Chosen in abou a month and a half.

That isn't a good position on two levels:

1. Games are different lengths. If you spent 200 hours or whatever in the Witcher and didn't finish it, that's different than having spent 4 hours on Inside and 100%ing it.
  2. It turns passion into a weapon. "I completed this" suddenly becomes worth more than "I completed this other game and played a bit of yours and think mine's better." Wikipedia isn't a substitute for experience.

It will be Zelda because Jeff will force the conversation into breaking down games into components, and Zelda is flawless; it's a game of the generation. Meanwhile, PUB will still be in Early Access. Horizon will simply exist, and anything else will only have the above passion argument as a path to victory.
I agree with you that it's dumb to do that, I'm just telling you what the argument could be. And Brad definitely cooled on it too, otherwise he'd go back.

As for the bolded, uh, what? First, Jeff has some pretty big problems with Zelda, so I doubt he'll be the one to push that. And when you break down Zelda to it's mechanics it starts to look a lot worse, not better. The combat is pretty simplistic and by the end of the game enemies are giant damage sponges and it becomes tedious. This is further harmed by the fact that weapons break easily (a mechanic I do like), which means you can go through 5+ weapons to clear out an enemy camp and only get 2 or 3 back, and they'll probably be worse. The Divine Beasts are pretty lackluster, go find the 5 terminals and then fight the boss. The story was pretty weak, although I do think the memory mechanic was cool. VO ranged from alright to horrible. The enemies really lacked variety. I could go on and on, and BotW might be my favorite game ever
I kinda feel like zelda looks worse if you break it down into components lol. I mean if you want to talk about the story it's bad. The combat is kinda just adequate to mediocre. The dungeons aren't great and there's too little of them. The loot system is pretty unrewarding. Shrines are cool but way too padded out with combat shrines.

Zelda is all about that je n'ais se quoi.
Maybe I just missed them, I think I only ended up doing like 75 shrines, but I didn't run into combat shrines that frequently. I enjoyed them mostly

Since you guys are talking GOTY, what do you think will win best music? I feel Nier will win solely because most of the crew have played it and Alex feels stronger about it than Yakuza 0. I feel that Yakuza 0 deserves it but I'm also happy if Nier wins. Yakuza 0 should definitely be in the runners up though!

Nex Machina has a crazy good soundtrack but I don't think anyone on GB played it outside of the quicklook :(

Antiwhippy

I think I just had a really bad run of them. I looked up a guide because I was getting really annoyed. Why put so many combat shrines in this area?

EFxEn9o.png

Barrylad

Neo Member
I'm on the final chapter of Yakuza 0 and I'm slightly kicking myself for not watching BitE along with my own playthrough. Kinda daunting to go back and rewatch that entire thing but I am tempted.

This was my first full Yakuza playthrough (tried 3, but bounced off pretty fast) and I loved it. Not sure I'll pick up Kiwami at release as I'm a little burned out on this style of game, clocking in at 70 hours on this one so far, but I'm definitely curious to do some deep diving on the rest of the series to see where the characters ended up.

Edit: oh and I'd totally be down with Yakuza as the Best Music - although I haven't started Nier yet.

daveo42

Banned
Tacoma looks much less exciting after they showed off their gameplay footage of what the game is now.

Since you guys are talking GOTY, what do you think will win best music? I feel Nier will win solely because most of the crew have played it and Alex feels stronger about it than Yakuza 0. I feel that Yakuza 0 deserves it but I'm also happy if Nier wins. Yakuza 0 should definitely be in the runners up though!

Persona and Yakuza 0 belong on the list. I have no input on Nier because I still haven't played it.

mike6467

Holy shit, it's probably been brought up, but BALLERS!!11! in the demo derby was brutal. Just got through it and that was piercing and random which led to me constantly adjusting the volume. I like Ben a lot and have no problem with that video otherwise, but jesus christ adjust the levels there. I was wearing headphones and barely made it through.

Hindl

who said Zelda was flawless? it's like some of you are strawmening so hard you actually believe yourself
Here

Wait people think zelda is flawless

Zelda is just another ubisoft open world game complete with towers and meaningless side quests

Not flawless by any means... has some significant flaws but despite them it is still a damn good game. Not even close to another ubi open world lol.

imBask

Banned
Uncharted is just another Tomb Raider with bad gunplay
Mario is just the same as ever with different backgrounds
Fire Emblem is just another FF tactics clone with a boring story
Metroid is just pure padding and backtracking for the sake of backtracking
Bayonetta is just a sexist version of DMC
The Last of Us is just a boringer version of Uncharted
Persona 5 is like Persona 4 but none of the characters are good and they padded the game to make you forget you're even playing
Nier Automata is so short they make you complete the game 20 times
Disgaea is so randum XDDDD

see what you've done now, i'm insulting everyone's franchises

YOU DID THIS

oti

Banned
Its not as automated as Ubisoft's so it gets a pass i guess *shrug*.

If you actually believe that Zelda is like a Ubisoft game you're crazy. And why do people actually say this if just days before Zelda we got a full-on Ubisoft game called Horizon. You can't be seriously saying that Zelda and Hoirzon are the same.

Zelda is Sherlock
Horizon is Elementary

Antiwhippy

If you actually believe that Zelda is like a Ubisoft game you're crazy. And why do people actually say this if just days before Zelda we got a full-on Ubisoft game called Horizon. You can't be seriously saying that Zelda and Hoirzon are the same.

Zelda is Sherlock
Horizon is Elementary

Funnily enough waypoint is pro-Elementary over Sherlock.

And they're crazy about BotW.

Uncharted is just another Tomb Raider with bad gunplay
Mario is just the same as ever with different backgrounds
Fire Emblem is just another FF tactics clone with a boring story
Metroid is just pure padding and backtracking for the sake of backtracking
Bayonetta is just a sexist version of DMC
The Last of Us is just a boringer version of Uncharted
Persona 5 is like Persona 4 but none of the characters are good and they padded the game to make you forget you're even playing
Nier Automata is so short they make you complete the game 20 times
Disgaea is so randum XDDDD

see what you've done now, i'm insulting everyone's franchises

YOU DID THIS

I dont disagree with anything you said
my favorite franchise wasnt insulted

I mean, y'all are right, Zelda will probably get dinged for, e.g., avoiding unbreakable levelled loot with numbers that constantly go up, instead of disposable loot that encourages experimentation. But even still, I don't think that's a mistake on the designer's part, in no way a flaw.

Calling BotW flawless was overstating it though, yeah. It's just... really, really good.

I'll call it near-flawless next time.

imBask

Banned
BoTW is probably the best game to come out since Dark Souls 1, and it's a similar experience. Sharing your discovery with your friends who were also discovering stuff made Dark Souls what it is, and made BoTW what it is

basically i'm saying if you missed the boat on that specific experience, you played it wrong and that's why you didn't enjoy it or will never "get it"

Yoko Taro has endorsed Life is Strange:
28312007232_919226b23f_b.jpg

Life is Strange
There is a game called Remember Me that was released for the PS3. It has great artistic taste and I have awarded it my personal “most visually beautiful game on PS3 award” and the company that created that game is DONTNOD Entertainment in France. And as a new title from that studio, I just can’t help but pay attention to… wait, what is this graphic! The direction is completely different! This surprise was how I met Life is Strange. In sharp contrast to Remember Me, this title is about life in school in a quiet city. This title is great with many small youthful moments scattered around the game within the boundaries of restricted expression. By the way, Remember Me is still not localized into Japanese, when is it going to be localized?
(Props to him for fighting the good fight for Remember Me!)

He also has more to say about Resogun, Horizon, FF15, GR1/GR2, Danganronpa, and TLG.

Antiwhippy

BoTW is probably the best game to come out since Dark Souls 1, and it's a similar experience. Sharing your discovery with your friends who were also discovering stuff made Dark Souls what it is, and made BoTW what it is

basically i'm saying if you missed the boat on that specific experience, you played it wrong and that's why you didn't enjoy it or will never "get it"

Ehhhhh.

Though I guess Dark souls 1 broke down when you're tasked to retrieve the 4 lord souls, much like how BotW broke down when you had to go after the 4 divine beasts.

So I can see where you're coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom