• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know the Wolfenstein II is going to be the shit, that mutha-fuckin' GOTY. I really don't know why y'all are deliberating any führer.

Zaph

My 4 hours with Horizon have left me with the conclusion that it's a bad game that looks very pretty, making it another game from Guerrilla Games.

My 4 hours with Horizon have left me with the conclusion that it's a bad game that looks very pretty

My 4 hours with Horizon have left me with the conclusion that it's a bad game

My 4 hours with Horizon

4 hours

mjJHV84.gif

Horizon is very good, but 4 hours is more than enough time to know if a game is for you or not.

Meguro

Banned
My 4 hours with Horizon have left me with the conclusion that it's a bad game that looks very pretty, making it another game from Guerrilla Games.

My 4 hours with Horizon have left me with the conclusion that it's a bad game that looks very pretty

My 4 hours with Horizon have left me with the conclusion that it's a bad game

My 4 hours with Horizon

4 hours

mjJHV84.gif
I had absolutely no desire to continue. Just moving around was a chore after Zelda. It felt really clunky in a way that I could not get into at all.
Could be that it came out at the wrong time because most videogames seem bad compared to Nier Automata and BotW.

Horizon is very good, but 4 hours is more than enough time to know if a game is for you or not.

Horizon is a game with alot of build up and mechanics. 4 hours is really nothing when it comes to games like that. That's like playing 4 hours of GTA V and never getting to see some of the cool stuff it does with the 3 characters during missions. I will say though that sometimes you just don't feel a game and that's fine but saying it's a bad game? I can't agree with that.

Hasney

Fire Pro!

Jeff finally understanding how they play makes me happy since everytime he boots up a retro version of it he always says "I never knew how to play these".

Hindl

Yeah, I've bounced off every Zelda game I've tried but this one clicked with me big time. It makes me want to go back and try some of the older ones again.
They're excellent games, but very different from BotW. I'd be interested to read your opinion but I doubt it'll change from before
Horizon is a game with alot of build up and mechanics. 4 hours is really nothing when it comes to games like that. That's like playing 4 hours of GTA V and never getting to see some of the cool stuff it does with the 3 characters during missions. I will say though that sometimes you just don't feel a game and that's fine but saying it's a bad game? I can't agree with that.
On the other hand, if you don't want to go back to it you shouldn't. Probably about 80% of the games I play, I play for about 2-3 hours before I put it down. If it doesn't grab me then I'm not gonna force myself to play through it

Edit: For your added stuff, good and bad is subjective. I think Skyrim is a steaming pile of dogshit, other people would say I'm crazy

On the other hand, if you don't want to go back to it you shouldn't. Probably about 80% of the games I play, I play for about 2-3 hours before I put it down. If it doesn't grab me then I'm not gonna force myself to play through it

Which is totally fine, especially since we don't have all day to game and shit.
Edit: For your added stuff, good and bad is subjective. I think Skyrim is a steaming pile of dogshit, other people would say I'm crazy

Well, when it comes to Bethesda developed games you pretty much know what you're getting in the long run. I will only be surprised when they jump to a brand new engine which is highly unlikely.

imBask

Banned

I think "didn't grab me" would be a little more accurate than "it's not a good game" and that's the point

xuchu

The way Jeff is talking about PUBG on the bombcast and keeping up with its newsfeed and patches is exciting. If it comes out of early access this year, it's almost guaranteed GOTY.

If the tutorial area in Horizon didn't grab you right away then it's not a game for you.

A pretty harsh estimate especially since the combat flows much better when you get more tools. The combat in the first few hours of the game is ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz worthy.

LiK

GOTY doesn't matter.

Of course not.

Yes it does.

A pretty harsh estimate especially when I thought the combat flowed better when you got more tools. The combat in the first few hours of the game is ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz worthy.

I feel that if people didn't get sucked into the world and characters then it's not for them. The combat def gets better as you unlock more skills and weapons later.

Zaph

Do you work for IGN by any chance

We're not reviewing for a profession. If you feel early on a game isn't for you - why waste your own time on the slim chance you'll change you mind? I can only think of one game I did a complete 180 on after the opening hours - Binary Domain.

Horizon is a game with alot of build up and mechanics. 4 hours is really nothing when it comes to games like that. That's like playing 4 hours of GTA V and never getting to see some of the cool stuff it does with the 3 characters during missions.

GTA is one of my favourite series - but I knew within two hours GTA4 was bad and stopped. If you don't like the movement, that ain't gonna change.

I think "didn't grab me" would be a little more accurate than "it's not a good game" and that's the point
That's probably the difference, never been a fan of all that "in my opinion" stuff. If you don't like it, nothing wrong with calling it bad - your opinion is always implied. You're talking about a product, no need to be mindful of other people's feelings.

daveo42

Banned
Guerrilla has been all about games that look pretty sweet and control well, but then there's nothing else. Horizon at least broke that mold for them...and it was in an open world setting.

We all know the Wolfenstein II is going to be the shit, that mutha-fuckin' GOTY. I really don't know why y'all are deliberating any führer.

Well yeah, but it'll suffer the exact same fate as TNO did in 2014 during GotY deliberations.

Skyrim is the best walking simulator Bethesda has ever put out. FO4 is the worst.

kingocfs

If the tutorial area in Horizon didn't grab you right away then it's not a game for you.

Yeah.

The first 5 hours of that game was my favorite stretch. Everything up until
you leave the Embrace
was excellent, IMO... great world building and paced perfectly.

LiK

Yeah.

The first 5 hours of that game was my favorite stretch. Everything up until
you leave the Embrace
was excellent, IMO... great world building and paced perfectly.

Yup, and if the mystery of what happened to the world doesn't even get them motivated to keep going then it's hard for me to tell people to keep playing.

Yup, and if the mystery of what happened to the world doesn't even get them motivated to keep going then it's hard for me to tell people to keep playing.

That is true. I was ALL IN by the time that montage dropped. What a fascinating world Guerrilla Games made.

Completely agreed. It definitely grabbed me and I enjoyed it a lot but if you arent interested in the world/setting I wouldn't bother. That being said it grew on me (the combat wasnt quite clicking) after
getting out of the Nora area

Hindl

Which is totally fine, especially since we don't have all day to game and shit.

Well, when it comes to Bethesda developed games you pretty much know what you're getting in the long run. I will only be surprised when they jump to a brand new engine which is highly unlikely.
Yeah I guess that's true
Fair
Hard disagree. I was ready to give up on the game during the tutorial, I felt so constricted and while I was kinda interested in the story and world I didn't care that much for the gameplay. I stuck with it and now I'm out in the world and it got a lot better. I'd say once you get the different caster weapons, if you don't like it then, it's not for you
It's not even going to be game of the day
lmao
Skyrim is the best walking simulator Bethesda has ever put out. FO4 is the worst.
But the walking and combat in Skyrim sucks ass. And around every corner is another snowy mountain or cave with an ice guy

As someone who loves a lot of 2 hour modern board games Ben sounds like he fell into a nightmare.

If someone brings up a Euro game and says "I haven't read the rules yet but wanna learn/play?" then just walk away. Just. Walk. Away.

daveo42

Banned
That is true. I was ALL IN by the time that montage dropped. What a fascinating world Guerrilla Games made.

Yeah, that opening really sets up the game nicely and gets you excited to see what Aloy can do to prove herself to her tribe.

But the walking and combat in Skyrim sucks ass. And around every corner is another snowy mountain or cave with an ice guy

Finding new stuff on the map was one of the only things that I enjoyed in Skyrim.

As someone who loves a lot of 2 hour modern board games Ben sounds like he fell into a nightmare.

If someone brings up a Euro game and says "I haven't read the rules yet but wanna learn/play?" then just walk away. Just. Walk. Away.

Now I'm intrigued as to what game this is in reference to. It's almost mandatory in my group to have watched a YT video to get a good feel for the rules and how to play a board game before actually diving in.

Catvoca

Banned
The first like 2 hours of Horizon are great but when they first dump you in the open world proper and you see the all the Ubisoft- side quest shit there I almost gave up on it. It took a while after that for the game to grab me again, probably not until I left the snowy region and went into the desert.

GTA is one of my favourite series - but I knew within two hours GTA4 was bad and stopped. If you don't like the movement, that ain't gonna change.

That's fair. I loved GTA4 but it didn't age well(unless you mod the fuck out of it). I mainly remember the thing that made me enjoy it the most was the physics, It was the only thing that kept me playing. In contrast, The Ballad of Gay Tony is a way better game than GTA4 ever was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom