• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
why don't they just let you adjust the difficulty on the fly?

I mean, it's obviously able to adjust itself mid-game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Rez said:
why don't they just let you adjust the difficulty on the fly?

I mean, it's obviously able to adjust itself mid-game.

So few games offer this great feature.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I hate that function, why would someone, who's determined with his choice of difficulty level, want to go and change it again? When you've made a choice, you should be stuck with it!

Sidzed2

Yoshichan said:
I hate that function, why would someone, who's determined with his choice of difficulty level, want to go and change it again? When you've made a choice, you should be stuck with it!

I'm sorry, that just does not make any sense whatsoever.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sidzed2 said:
I'm sorry, that just does not make any sense whatsoever.
It makes sense in my world. Changing difficulty level mid-game is stupid. The function shouldn't be there.

Sidzed2

Yoshichan said:
It makes sense in my world. Changing difficulty level mid-game is stupid. The function shouldn't be there.

No, it doesn't make sense. You are talking absolute crap. If you don't want to change the difficulty, don't. For those who get stuck and want to change it over, they can. That make sense. Choice makes sense. You do not, guided like you are by some misguided hardcore principles.

Yoshichan

Sidzed2 said:
No, it doesn't make sense. You are talking absolute crap. If you don't want to change the difficulty, don't. For those who get stuck and want to change it over, they can. That make sense. Choice makes sense. You do not, guided like you are by some misguided hardcore principles.
:lol I understand why one would want to change it mid-game but it defeats the whole purpose of actually choosing a difficulty level at the start of the game. That's a fact! Like, who the hell cares if I start with hard? I could just easily change it back to normal when I'm in trouble. And yeah, when I beat that I'll switch to hard again and flex my muscles!

Banned
screw being able to change/choose difficulty levels. I want dynamic difficulty done right. I actually thought that would be a mainstay of this gen. It's not even that difficult to implement.

Schlomo

00011000 said:
screw being able to change/choose difficulty levels. I want dynamic difficulty done right. I actually thought that would be a mainstay of this gen. It's not even that difficult to implement.

And what does "done right" mean in your opinion? I usually hate dynamic difficulty. If I have to try a difficult bit over and over I don't want my satisfaction of finally succeeding taken away by some automatically adjusted difficulty.

BeeDog

Alright, just killed
Hermes
on Titan mode. The game hasn't been extremely hard up until now, but some parts were a bit painful, mostly the parts where you meet several stone hammer dudes, and the two fire cerberus enemies in the Underworld. Hopefully the game doesn't take a turn for the impossible later on. :D

Yoshichan

BeeDog said:
Alright, just killed
Hermes
on Titan mode. The game hasn't been extremely hard up until now, but some parts were a bit painful, mostly the parts where you meet several stone hammer dudes, and the two fire cerberus enemies in the Underworld. Hopefully the game doesn't take a turn for the impossible later on. :D
It never takes that turn on Titan mode, don't worry :)!

KingGondo

Banned
BeeDog said:
Alright, just killed
Hermes
There are definitely tougher parts, but it's beatable. You just have to put a much greater emphasis on defending/evading/countering than on God mode.

LosDaddie

Banned
Sidzed2 said:

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with more options.

Banned
Schlomo said:
And what does "done right" mean in your opinion? I usually hate dynamic difficulty. If I have to try a difficult bit over and over I don't want my satisfaction of finally succeeding taken away by some automatically adjusted difficulty.

I'm not really sure by what I mean by "done right". I guess in a situation where it's seamless and doesn't impede upon my sense of achievement? Every genre/game is different though, so maybe it wouldn't work here. In a game like Heavy Rain for instance, I think dynamic difficulty could have worked extremely well and would have taken away one step of configuration, I know you can change difficulty in that whenever you want, but someone like my 17 year old sister who never plays games would never bother to change to difficulty even if she found it to be really easy by the game's end.

Perhaps dynamic difficulty should be something that is on by default, and initial difficulty can be easily ascertained with a training level like that seen in Modern Warfare for example. However, the difficulty should also be able to be "locked" for those demanding a challenge.

Personally, I'm not a glutton for punishment and mostly just want an enjoyable experience that provides a consistent challenge but something "difficult" is not what I want the majority of the time.

It's like watching films, most of the time you want something easy to watch (at least the mainstream do- Transformers, Avatar) but other times, you want something a bit more challenging like Anti-Christ or Requiem for a Dream. There is place in the market for both, but it can't be argued which style has more mainstream appeal.

Thing is, games don't have to fit exclusively into one or the other. They can be both.

RiZ III

ultron87 said:
Screw this god damn
fire Cerberus right after you jump down the chain following the Labyrinth on hard mode.
I've probably been trying it for 3 hours. I can handle the initial guy but the fellow who spawns after
you take off a head, and then the two guys who spawn after the second head are just too much.

I either suck way more than I thought at this game or I am just absolutely missing some easier way to deal with these guys.

Edit: Looking at post above mine I see I am not the only one that had trouble here. I guess I'll read back in thread for advice.

You have to play very defensively. It took me a while, but it just took a lot of patience and defensive playing. I used
Hercules' iron fists
during this fight. Hit and run tactic.

I've played the first boss oooh about 6 times now. One friend heres from another friend how amazing it looks, so they come over and I put it on easy, and just show them the intro and first boss. EVERYONE has been impressed and couldnt believe how good it looked.

The Chef

The get stoned is a breeze if you use your Counter on the Gorgon Stare so that you immediately get turned to stone.

I was surprised how easy all the challenges of olympus were. Way more of a cakewalk especially compared to GOW2.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The Chef said:
The get stoned is a breeze if you use your Counter on the Gorgon Stare so that you immediately get turned to stone.

Yeah, that's what I did. Just completed 'bare hands'. I used this video to get an idea of what to do. Might be of help to those who are still struggling with the challenges.

is it normal that I preffer GOW2 over GOW3?

GOW3 is not a bad game, it's a really good game with big mega bosses

but I feel that GOW3 is lacking in the chapters and stages... the Rubix Cube Labartinth made out of video-game Wooden Crates was really a big turn off for the climax stage (Pandaro's Temple or Temple of the Sisters of Fate) type of stage

really? square shapped wooden crates with not much in the bg?

usually there is some kind of backdrop far off in the bg, like a mega statue or scenery but no, you are in a shit cave with wooden crates

I hate that stage

GOW3 succeed with Titans, Titan stages, Boss battles
but failed in terms of level diversity, epic scenery and that climatic late-middle stage like GOW1 and GOW2 had

*oh yeah, the story is the least concise of the three

Combichristoffersen

gutter_trash said:
is it normal that I preffer GOW2 over GOW3?

Most people seem to prefer GoW II over GoW III (me included). GoW III is a great game, and definitely a better and more polished game than GoW I, but it's just not quite as good as GoW II (except for the combat and the graphics). But now that they've got the GoW engine up and running on the PS3, I'm hoping for SSM to completely blow us all away with an eventual GoW IV.

I also find that his main weapon in GOW 2 Blades of Athena seem to have more abilities than the the GOW 3 Blades Of Exile which implements the new game mechanic of L1-O to grab enemies...

IMO, I preferences the GOW2ish moves sets of the Blades Of

all the other weapons were also CHAIN-ish types in GOW3 which pretty much killed the weapon diversity and lack of caring to upgrade them besides the Cestus Punching Gloves

The Chef

It does seem like a lot of people prefer GOW2 but for me its no contest GOW3 is absolutely the pinnacle of the series:

Best music, Best boss fights, By far and away the best gameplay. Just the true definition of epic that the series is known for and I absolutely loved the ending.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Combichristoffersen said:
Most people seem to prefer GoW II over GoW III (me included). GoW III is a great game, and definitely a better and more polished game than GoW I, but it's just not quite as good as GoW II (except for the combat and the graphics). But now that they've got the GoW engine up and running on the PS3, I'm hoping for SSM to completely blow us all away with an eventual GoW IV.

I'll voice my opinion, I have to say I like GOW2 and GOW3 the same because each one has its pros and cons. I loved the weapons in GOW3, the combat, graphics, sense of scale, however what i loved about GOW2 was the music, locations, rage mode, story, and better unlockable costumes even though I love the Apollo on in GOW3. Both games have great boss battles and cameos.

gutter_trash said:
I also find that his main weapon in GOW 2 Blades of Athena seem to have more abilities than the the GOW 3 Blades Of Exile which implements the new game mechanic of L1-O to grab enemies...

all the other weapons were also CHAIN-ish types in GOW3 which pretty much killed the weapon diversity and lack of caring to upgrade them besides the Cestus Punching Gloves

I think that is what I liked about the weapons in GOW3 more than GOW2. The Hammer and Spear of Destiny felt like they were not as fun to use as the normal blades of Athena. The only other weapon I used in GOW2 more than the blades was the blade of Olympus.

Combichristoffersen

gutter_trash said:

At first I missed the L1+O fast attack from GoW II, but after fiddling around with the game, I absolutely love the grapple mechanic they implemented in GoW III. As for the weapons in GoW III, this was the first time I've actually enjoyed using any other weapons than the chain blades (as the bonus weapons in GoW I and II were all quite shitty and rather useless IMO).

The Chef

On a side note how incredible is it that each new game has managed to not only improve on its predecessors but set a new benchmark for the series all the while being under the helm of a new director. Thats staggering to me anytime a series loses its visionary or creator for the most part the game suffers(Resident Evil being a prime example)

For this series to continue to flourish is incredible and shows how large the talent pool at SSM is.

oh yeah.... the music the OST seemed not as good as GOW1 and GOW2...
it did not have it's walking on the SWORD OF ATHENA moment from GOW1 nor did it have anything like the Steeds Of Time, Phoenix rising from the flames type stuff moments

Struct09

The only thing I didn't really like about God of War III was the pacing. I don't think it needed more boss encounters, but I think it should have spread them out more.

For me - 1 had the best story, 2 had the best pacing, and 3 had the best combat.

Combichristoffersen

neojubei said:
I'll voice my opinion, I have to say I like GOW2 and GOW3 the same because each one has its pros and cons. I loved the weapons in GOW3, the combat, graphics, sense of scale, however what i loved about GOW2 was the music, locations, rage mode, story, and better unlockable costumes even though I love the Apollo on in GOW3. Both games have great boss battles and cameos.

They both have pros and cons indeed. I'd say GoW II feels like a more coherent world, with more interesting locations, more bosses and generally just more to it. But where GoW III really shines is at its combat, the weapons, the graphics and the scale of the titans. But besides the titans, I rarely got that 'whoa holy shit EPIC' feeling GoW I and II left me with. Both GoW II and III are great games, but I'd say II is an overall slightly better game than III. But then again, few games are as good as II.

The Chef

gutter_trash said:
oh yeah.... the music the OST seemed not as good as GOW1 and GOW2...
it did not have it's walking on the SWORD OF ATHENA moment from GOW1 nor did it have anything like the Steeds Of Time, Phoenix rising from the flames type stuff moments

You are crazy the fight in the beginning on Gaia and against Cronos were far more amazing than any of the moments from GOW1 or 2.

Also I have to disagree about the OST. I have loved it in all the games but it was far more diverse and epic in GOW3. I was constantly aware of it whereas in the previous games it only came to my attention to highlight a certain cutscene or "reveal".

The Chef

For the Trophy:
aMAZEd (Gold)
Beat the Labyrinth Without Dying or Failing

-Play through the entire game on Easy mode. Save directly before the Labyrinth stage. DO NOT save over that save file, just let the auto-save if you are in desperate need of saving. Proceed trying to complete the labyrinth area without dying or failing. Pay extra careful attention to jumps.

Can I just load my Titan save before the Labyrinth and go through it that way or do I have to do the whole game on easy?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Chef said:
For the Trophy:
aMAZEd (Gold)
Beat the Labyrinth Without Dying or Failing

-Play through the entire game on Easy mode. Save directly before the Labyrinth stage. DO NOT save over that save file, just let the auto-save if you are in desperate need of saving. Proceed trying to complete the labyrinth area without dying or failing. Pay extra careful attention to jumps.

Can I just load my Titan save before the Labyrinth and go through it that way or do I have to do the whole game on easy?
You can but it would be rough on Titan. I did it on God without too much trouble though.

The Chef

RoboPlato said:
You can but it would be rough on Titan. I did it on God without too much trouble though.

I suppose i could just die right before I get to the Labyrinth to lower the difficulty that should work right?

LosDaddie said:
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with more options.
I don't necessarily agree. Resident Evil 4 had one difficulty level prior to unlocking Professional, but it worked because it was perfectly balanced throughout. I think being able to switch down to a difficulty level that lets you cheese your way through detracts from a game more than it adds, besides the fact that it means the devs don't have as much incentive to properly balance normal mode anymore. You can switch the difficulty up when it gets too easy or down when it gets too hard, essentially making the player the arbiter of challenge. I don't like that. However, I also dislike the kind of random difficulty spikes that you see in this game, although it's pretty funny that they're actual literal spikes in one case.

Basically, more games should be as perfect as RE4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Chef said:
I suppose i could just die right before I get to the Labyrinth to lower the difficulty that should work right?
That should work, yeah. Just make sure that save isn't in it already or you can't get it.

The Chef said:

If you finished the game on Titan already.

Load up save just before you enter the Labyrinth, fall of a ledge 5 times to start easy mode then do the Labyrinth.

Also, even if you die during the labyrinth do not panic, when it asks you to restart checkpoint, do not do it, quit the game and load the auto-save. This was you don't have to start over from the beginning.

In the rotating room just use the cestus mash triangle.

Panda1

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
I don't necessarily agree. Resident Evil 4 had one difficulty level prior to unlocking Professional, but it worked because it was perfectly balanced throughout. I think being able to switch down to a difficulty level that lets you cheese your way through detracts from a game more than it adds, besides the fact that it means the devs don't have as much incentive to properly balance normal mode anymore. You can switch the difficulty up when it gets too easy or down when it gets too hard, essentially making the player the arbiter of challenge. I don't like that. However, I also dislike the kind of random difficulty spikes that you see in this game, although it's pretty funny that they're actual literal spikes in one case.

Basically, more games should be as perfect as RE4.

Yeah Resi is perfect at this there are multiple levels of difficulty behind the scenes I think 10 and it dynamically goes up and down depending on headshots and misses

uraldix

The Chef said:

That is what I did, there is a save point in the caverns that isn't too far ahead of the Labyrinth.

Edit: Beaten

The Chef

Kos Luftar said:
If you finished the game on Titan already.

Load up save just before you enter the Labyrinth, fall of a ledge 5 times to start easy mode then do the Labyrinth.

Also, even if you die during the labyrinth do not panic, when it asks you to restart checkpoint, do not do it, quit the game and load the auto-save. This was you don't have to start over from the beginning.

In the rotating room just use the cestus mash triangle.

Great tips thanks so much guys.

LosDaddie

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
I think being able to switch down to a difficulty level that lets you cheese your way through

Sure, it lets you do that, but it doesn't force you to. That's why it's called an option.

This game is pushing my slim, you know that clicking sound that slims get a couple of minutes after shutdown because of the expanding, this game is making my slim give more of a cracking noise then a clicking noise I usually hear. :lol

Kalbi said:
Yeah Resi is perfect at this there are multiple levels of difficulty behind the scenes I think 10 and it dynamically goes up and down depending on headshots and misses
You can also slow them down by shooting them in the legs, or disarm them by hitting them in the arms, but yes, not sucking at the basic aiming mechanic is a prerequisite for beating that game.

For the labyrinth with those millions of enemies, I maxed my Head of Helios, blinded enemies and let them get killed by the spikes. It worked for everything cept' the sirens who I promptly beat the shit out of. I also just walk to the spikes, and jump+air dash right before the spikes come out and that worked a couple of times too.

I forgot I could L1+O on harpies. Shit got me killed and I thought I couldn't figure out an important piece of the puzzle :lol

Top Bottom