• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Slurmer

Banned
00011000 said:
I think they might do a little damage but they'll never kill an enemy.

They can, if they're leveled up at least. I know because I just got a 900+ hit combo before all the enemies died...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DownLikeBCPowder said:
I find it to mostly look great, but some areas or things could use improvement.
Hera
for example looks just wretched.
I think a lot of the human-like character models seem like they look really bad only because they're in direct comparison to Kratos. He is the single most detailed character I've ever sen in a game. While I do agree that
Hera
isn't the best looking character, I think they just seem worse because Kratos looks so good.

RoboPlato said:
I think a lot of the human-like character models seem like they look really bad only because they're in direct comparison to Kratos. He is the single most detailed character I've ever sen in a game. While I do agree that
Hera
isn't the best looking character, I think they just seem worse because Kratos looks so good.

I think it's partly that, but also mostly that the aforementioned character just looks plain terrible.

Kratos does look awesome indeed, though. I also really liked some of the
Hades
environments.

Yeah she looks horrible. I would say that it is in part because Kratos looks so good but cmon if you're going to make 1 character look that good you better make the rest of the important characters looks that good too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I also thought
Pandora
looked pretty weird. Not sure if it was just design or the way she was rendered, but her eyes were really big and far apart.

Dilli666

So I just started the game yesterday and think its extremely hard. I got asked to set the difficulty to easy after several deaths at the
horselike spiderarm thingy
This is my first GoW-game, maybe there is a main tactic I'm missing? Didn't have any problems with games like Heavenly Sword or Conan.

Maybe I should buy the guide :(

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Dilli666 said:
So I just started the game yesterday and think its extremely hard. I got asked to set the difficulty to easy after several deaths at the
This is my first GoW-game, maybe there is a main tactic I'm missing? Didn't have any problems with games like Heavenly Sword or Conan.

Look for visual clues. The designers made every bossfight so that the pain they inflict is extreme, but the attacks are dodge-able if you look for the visual clues. For instance, in the
Poseidon-fight: when Gaia tilts her head to the left, the crabarms land on the right side of her head and vice-versa. So when she tilts, get your ass to the place the crabattack won't take place. Right-stick dodging is extremely helpful for this. Also, the lightning-attack of Poseidon himself is announced by the blue haze on the floor. So whenever you see blue haze appear, get your ass to wherever the blue haze isn't.

All the bosses use visual clues, train yourself into spotting them and your fights will be a lot easier.

untill you meet Cerberus

Word on the street is that the upcoming GoW 3 DLC has a multiplayer fighting mode...Can't post scans. But could be shitty April Fools joke as well...God I hate April.

wouwie

Dilli666 said:

Same here though i knew i would suck hard at hack and slash games so no surprise there. I don't really like hack and slash games (probably because i suck at them) but i figured, since this is my first opportunity to play a God Of War game, i should at least give it a go.

The game asked to switch to easy but i resisted the temptation at first. At some point, i just couln't get past some section and restarted the game on easy. I seem to miss any sense of tactics in this type of game. It always amounts in button bashing and even that "tactic" doesn't always work.

I do hope to keep going. Maybe one day i will understand how a hack n slash game works.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jett said:
Man GOW3 is just retardedly good looking, I'm almost too abosrbed in the game itself to fully realize how seriosuly amazing it looks while I'm playing.

*snip*

lol dante's inferno

Great shots.

And not even 'the best' from the scenes they're taken from. The scenery generally in Hades, the envrionment etc. is just spectacular.

It is the the most 'ideal' realisation of an artistic intent I think I've ever seen in a videogame.

People complaining about the universality of the lighting...I can see technically the complaint, but holy God, look at the end result of the approach they have used gives them in general.

I was previously reluctant to say 'GoWIII beats UC2' and while that may not be true in ALL respects, I've played enough now to say that overall it's more impressive to me. And that's something, coming after UC2.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
wouwie said:
Same here though i knew i would suck hard at hack and slash games so no surprise there. I don't really like hack and slash games (probably because i suck at them) but i figured, since this is my first opportunity to play a God Of War game, i should at least give it a go.

The game asked to switch to easy but i resisted the temptation at first. At some point, i just couln't get past some section and restarted the game on easy. I seem to miss any sense of tactics in this type of game. It always amounts in button bashing and even that "tactic" doesn't always work.

I do hope to keep going. Maybe one day i will understand how a hack n slash game works.

Tactics in hack-n-slash/GoW: prioritize enemies, select appropriate weapon for the battle, have at 'em.

Halcyon

I beat Titan last night. Holy GOD that was difficult. I don't usually play harder difficulties in games because I don't have alot of time to play. I'm glad I did on this though. Made me appreciate the game a whole lot more. GOW3 is easily my favorite of the three now. I plan on playing on Easy to get a few more trophies to get my platinum.

Few parts of Titan that were difficult for me:

1. Hades: This was the first place I was like "whoa they're not messing around" and I had to step my game up. Died probably 10-15 times on this fight before I figured the whole thing out.
2. The ending of the labyrinth fight. The first time I did it I got all the way to the last wave and died. Did it another 6 or 7 times till I beat it. Hate the stupid sirens.
3. Cerebrus/Satyrs: This was the hardest fight for me until I figured out how to do it pretty easy. It took me probably 10 tries. I started out just straight up fighting him, then got to the point where I started kicking the dogs and using the bow. I'd get to the last phase with the dog and two satyrs and die immediately.

Finally I found the best strategy was to bow/kick dogs till first satyr. Gorgon the satyr, strong attack to kill satyr. Back to bow/kick dogs on cerebrus. Then when the two satyrs spawn wrangle them up, Gorgon them both at the same time, switch to blades and do the spartan army attack to kill them both quick, then go back to bow/kick dogs to win the fight. I shouted "AHHH YEEEESSSS" when I finally beat it.

4. Zeus stage 3: This was difficult. After 5 deaths I chose the cheap way out and just spammed L1+O with the whip. I might go back to the save and try to do it for real sometime. Probably not.

Nicktendo86

Agree with all of those difficult parts Halcyon apart from the
Cerebrus
fight, only took me a couple of tries for some reason! I am stuck on the
Zeus part inside Gaia, is that stage 3?
I found it difficult on normal, just can't get it on hard either.

Papercuts said:
I also thought
Pandora
looked pretty weird. Not sure if it was just design or the way she was rendered, but her eyes were really big and far apart.

Well, that was the point. If you read mythology, everyone has an epithet.
Hera's
was Ox eyed. For example: 'the ox-eyed Queen of Heaven'. The design team really paid attention to quite a lot of the classical text and artwork.

She was probably the most vengeful, jealous member of the Olympians too.

Yurt said:
Serious question,
I just don't get why Athena died for Zeus then?

She didn't die for Zeus, she was trying to stop the fighting and got hit by accident. I'm not quite sure but maybe she knew when she "dies" she will be go to the next plane of existence or whatever and from there should would be able to get total control of everything.

They always leave plot holes open like this, and my idea was just something maybe they could use for next God of War, based on how I interpreted Athena.

corkscrewblow said:
Fire cerberus
is raping me on titan. I'm ready to ragequit.

Use the cestus, just punch the cerebrus around the back legs 3-4 times, roll away, roll back, punch (this causes the dogs to chase you back to the cerebrus, because of the second roll, they explode in front of the cerebrus). When the first satyr shows, switch to hades chains, summon the gorgon to stone the satyr, kill it before it de-stones. same tactic with cerebrus again, until two satyr shows up, use hades chains again to freeze 1 of them. you won't have enough magic to use it 3 times but, just ignore the last satyr and kill the cerebrus, than get rid of the satyr in the end.

hope this helps.

nskinnear said:
Fuck these flying sections. Let's send Kratos down a narrow tunnel at 800 MPH and give him a 2 foot wide space to fly through. This is horrible.

I suggest when you do this, stick close to the CHAIN, you will usually never hit anything.

ACE 1991 said:
Hercules fight was so fucking awesome.

That is all.

Hell yeah.

By the way, do you get less Red Orbs per enemy/chest than on other difficulties. I want to go back and do an Easy run to get the two Godly posessions I missed out on, and get all the gorgon eyes. I also missed upgrading all my weapons to the max by a little amount of orbs.

jett

D-Member
Galvanise_ said:
Hell yeah.

By the way, do you get less Red Orbs per enemy/chest than on other difficulties. I want to go back and do an Easy run to get the two Godly posessions I missed out on, and get all the gorgon eyes. I also missed upgrading all my weapons to the max by a little amount of orbs.

You get the same number of orbs in God and Titan. I think I'm getting a smaller number of orbs in Chaos, but probably not. If so the difference is minimal.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Spectral Glider said:
Man, I suck at the Challenges, just flat out suck. Is there any way to cheat and open up the arena without beating them?

Unfortunately not, but I will offer some advice, search youtube for a video to do the simply smashing one, it is hard if you go all crazy with combos.

The Barehands is HARD but doable if you grab a skeleton creature and run towards the stone guys and let go of the analog stick, Kratos should hit them 2-3 times before he throws the skeleton. If you keep holding on to the analog stick when Kratos is grabbing then he will be hard to control. oh and DO not do any QTE with the stone guys or cyclops. If you are able to get rid of the stone guys quickly then start going after the the huge cyclops.

The stone challenge is hard, try and grab the gorgon and when it tries to turn u to stone, block it but fail the QTE when it shows up, u will quickly turn to stone, then immediately start shaking the left analog stick. Do not jump ever in this mission.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I just played through the opening.

Holy shitcakes, how, just how did they even make this? When I got over with how elaborate everything looks and animates and flows from one environment into another like it's nothing, the next most impressive thing I noticed is how the game at many times looks more like everything is done with practical effects rather than computer graphics. I don't know if anyone else gets that impression, but to me that's the biggest success this game could have possibly had visually, as it harkens back to how things were done in sword & sandals movies of old.

Like when you get into Hades, and you see his statue sitting there, the whole scene looks like it was modeled with clay and painted over, rather than constructed with polygons and textures. When you're running on top of Gaia the rocks and trees there again look they created a miniature model, and then move the camera through it. I have no idea what they did to leave that impression, but it was so different than anything else I've seen so far. Water also looks simply amazing everywhere they had it so far, and for once the game has splashing, spraying water that looks so convincing.

kikanny

Lord Error said:
I just played through the opening.

Holy shitcakes, how, just how did they even make this? When I got over with how elaborate everything looks and animates and flows from one environment into another like it's nothing, the next most impressive thing I noticed is how the game at many times looks more like everything is done with practical effects rather than computer graphics. I don't know if anyone else gets that impression, but to me that's the biggest success this game could have possibly had visually, as it harkens back to how things were done in sword & sandals movies of old.

Like when you get into Hades, and you see his statue sitting there, the whole scene looks like it was modeled with clay and painted over, rather than constructed with polygons and textures. When you're running on top of Gaia the rocks and trees there again look they created a miniature model, and then move the camera through it. I have no idea what they did to leave that impression, but it was so different than anything else I've seen so far. Water also looks simply amazing everywhere they had it so far, and for once the game has splashing, spraying water that looks so convincing.
I know what you mean. When you first enter Hades, the lighting, the art, the graphics, the particles, the water, the music....it all just gives a very unique feeling. You know its just a video game, a fantasy but you want to believe its true because of how they portrayed it. That I think is the greatest accomplishment.

neojubei said:
Unfortunately not, but I will offer some advice, search youtube for a video to do the simply smashing one, it is hard if you go all crazy with combos.

The Barehands is HARD but doable if you grab a skeleton creature and run towards the stone guys and let go of the analog stick, Kratos should hit them 2-3 times before he throws the skeleton. If you keep holding on to the analog stick when Kratos is grabbing then he will be hard to control. oh and DO not do any QTE with the stone guys or cyclops. If you are able to get rid of the stone guys quickly then start going after the the huge cyclops.

The stone challenge is hard, try and grab the gorgon and when it tries to turn u to stone, block it but fail the QTE when it shows up, u will quickly turn to stone, then immediately start shaking the left analog stick. Do not jump ever in this mission.

Thanks, the only one I've been able to do is the under 100 one, that's pretty easy. I've tried barehands the most and the closest I got was actually my first try because I lucked out and the cyclops knocked himself over the edge. But since then I just can't seem to get it down. Curse my aging gamer hands!

alr1ghtstart said:
Bare Hands was 10x more irritating. The others were all pretty easy.

Bare Hands wasn't hard at all. I just finished the game last night and played a few minutes of the challenges and I beat this one among others (it did take like 10 tries though).

I realized
that you the QTEs take FAR too long, so you have to skip them altogether, it's easy after you realize that.

Bah, I guess I was beaten.

At the start go right and immediatly grab the skeleton and hit the first hammer dude 2 times, then try and get them together so you hit one of them 2 times and the other one time. When the troll comes the hammer guys should be almost dead. Keep trying to keep them together and hitting them all with one grab. Once you kill the hammer guys, start hitting the other skeletons as well to weed them out. Once I killed all 3, but had like 3 skeletons left and lost.

KingGondo

Banned
Got my Platinum this morning, first game I've done it on.

Took me forever and a minute to beat
Zeus
on Titan, I got really close several times and then I'd suddenly die. Very satisfying to beat, even the second time through.

Here's to hoping that there's lots of DLC.

The Chef

jett said:
Man GOW3 is just retardedly good looking, I'm almost too abosrbed in the game itself to fully realize how seriosuly amazing it looks while I'm playing.

Ha it is retardedly good looking. I wish I could just watch someone play through the whole game cause yesterday I got to watch my brother play through the beginning of the game up through Hades and it was like seeing the game with a fresh set of eyes. When your not worried about watching for a indication to counter or grapple or fight in every way possible to stay alive and get to just look at the scenery and the majesty of what is happening in front of you it truly is awe-inspiring.

This fight was so staggeringly amazing looking I couldn't help but have chills the whole time.

The Chef said:
Ha it is retardedly good looking. I wish I could just watch someone play through the whole game cause yesterday I got to watch my brother play through the beginning of the game up through Hades and it was like seeing the game with a fresh set of eyes. When your not worried about watching for a indication to counter or grapple or fight in every way possible to stay alive and get to just look at the scenery and the majesty of what is happening in front of you it truly is awe-inspiring.

This fight was so staggeringly amazing looking I couldn't help but have chills the whole time.

I can never watch my brother play because when ever he fails I get so frustrated, to the point where I just want to take the controller to show him how it is done.

The Chef

Kos Luftar said:
I can never watch my brother play because when ever he fails I get so frustrated, to the point where I just want to take the controller to show him how it is done.

Thats hilarious I know exactly what you mean..."only a 10 hit combo are you fu#$ing retarded!", "Use L1 plus O you dumb ass."

Last night while I was finishing up the challenges of olympus I noticed if you hold L1 and X you do a pretty cool mini combo with your Icarus Wings.

The Chef said:
Thats hilarious I know exactly what you mean..."only a 10 hit combo are you fu#$ing retarded!", "Use L1 plus O you dumb ass."

Last night while I was finishing up the challenges of olympus I noticed if you hold L1 and X you do a pretty cool mini combo with your Icarus Wings.

WTF! I've never used L1 + X thought out my play through. I must load up the game again to try this.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
nskinnear said:
I think you get more orbs on Easy. I remember maxing out my weapons about halfway through the game on my Easy run. It took much longer to max them out on Titan.

You get a lot more orbs on easy. I played through the game on easy a few days ago to grind some trophies, and I had maxed out all my weapons at the labyrinth, and yet I had over 40.000 red orbs to spare when I finished the game :lol

The Chef

So I finally got a chance to watch the voice-actors section of bonus content and I was really impressed by what they were doing. However, I have read several comments about Sorbo and Carlson? Looking drunk or being high and I saw no evidence of that whatsoever so wtf were people talking about?

Not to beat on the dead horse that is the Giantbombcast but another comment that annoyed the hell out of me is when they said the ending of GOW3
has to explain evil in this ridiculous scene that is almost as bad as the the Midichlorians from Star Wars. If they are talking about the evil in Pandora that affects the gods
WTF IS WRONG WITH THEM! How is that ridiculous or out of place? Bah screw those guys I am done.

I too switched to easy mode first time through. My frustration from repeating certain points was unimmersing me from the game. I had no trouble with DMC4 but this game just frustrated me.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Dilli666 said:

Oddly enough I found the early part of the game harder than the rest of the game. I had problems with
Hades
which is early in the game but after that I rarely had any problems on normal. So I would suggest staying on normal.

I agree that
Hera
was a horrible model and a couple of other gods weren't all that great either. But the creatures and environments more than make up for it in my opinion.

jett

D-Member
heh at the
scropion
boss battle in chaos. You die in 1.5 swipes. All of his attacks take more than half your health bar. it's getting annoying now!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Walking out into
Tartarus
is indeed like walking into a painting :eek:

Some of the preceding indoor bits aren't quite as awe inspiring as this stuff...they're more 'normally' great looking, they lack the kind of intense detail density seen in - for example - UC2. But then stuff like this whallops your eyes again :D

A bit of topic but I was playing Chapter 24 or 25 of Uncharted 2 last night and at one point Nathan walks up these stairs to go into this old temple and it's raining but I noticed that they did the whole pull the camera back and make drake look like a stick figure and it reminded me of God of War 3.

Both these games just look so good.

Top Bottom