• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

ULTROS! said:
Man, my bro is still playing the game. Can't wait to replay it. :|

On the other hand...

Kratos__Chibi_Clone_48_by_Blind_Ita.gif

Is this in use as an avatar? I'd love to switch. :)

Stolen. If anybody else had dibs, I apologize... just PM me and I'll switch.

BeeDog said:
If anything, I bet you guys will agree with me that this game is completely unbalanced when it comes to the difficulty. The game was fuck-easy on Titan (yes, even the
Scorpion boss
) up until
some parts of the Labyrinth
, and then it became exponentially harder for every encounter. :p

Not quite.
Hades
was a complete jackass, especially with no upgrades at the time I fought him.

Can't believe it, I actually completed two more challenges last night, bare hands and knockout. So that makes three so far. Bare hands I finished with 1 second left, good thing, otherwise my controller and TV would have suffered from my own version of the rage of sparta!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Not sure how I am going to play other action/adventure games after GOW3, I tried the Dante's inferno demo again and had the urge to go back to GOW3. I hope SSM gives us some DLC levels or something.

Nizz

My god at the part
where you and Pandora reach the room with the man hanging from chains from each arm.
. It's like they throw everything at you. Sirens, the soldiers with the shields, minataurs...

Just when I think the wave is over, another wave comes in with no end in sight it seems. And this is on normal. I can't imagine even trying this game on Titan. I've never been super great at the GoW games, or character action games in general. But I was feeling pretty damn proud of myself getting so far on normal. :lol

Yoshichan said:
:lol Just that fight alone took more retries then I've had to do in all God of War games combined. And guess what? I still didn't beat it.

Fuck.

:lol

You're not the only one--I said fuck it. Maybe when there's a drought.

OT, got to the outside of the Labyrinth I think, just beat
Hera's Garden. I'm quite enjoying how many ways the world is being ruined with the death of each god, no sun or flowers, more disease, worldwide flood...

Nemesis Whip
is the business. I think this is my goto weapon after the Blades.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
purple cobra said:
My god at the part
where you and Pandora reach the room with the man hanging from chains from each arm.
. It's like they throw everything at you. Sirens, the soldiers with the shields, minataurs...

Just when I think the wave is over, another wave comes in with no end in sight it seems. And this is on normal. I can't imagine even trying this game on Titan. I've never been super great at the GoW games, or character action games in general. But I was feeling pretty damn proud of myself getting so far on normal. :lol

That part wasn't that bad on Titan. I think I beat it on my 2nd or 3rd try. I just had to remember that
Helios head is useful against sirens
the rest was easy. Honestly Titan got easier as I went along almost like an inverse difficulty. I'm not even that good at action games.

DLC ideas:

Titan battles. Maybe they can retcon in that before Kratos plummets all the way to the river styx, he could have landed on some titans and battle on them and take them down with him. More battles like Cronos? Yes, please.

Labyrinth challenges. Give us more puzzles and challenges and ramp up the difficulty so we can all compare times on the leaderboards.

The game keeps crashing on me at the same spot - every time I beat the
scorpion
boss and start jumping around on crates, the game eventually gets to a point where I'm surrounded by physics barriers and the music is stuck in a 3-second loop. Even more frustrating is that my auto-save fails to load (it just shows me the spinning Omega for as long as I care to leave my PS3 on).

Anyone else had this? Is there a patch in the works? I can't find any information on Sony's official site.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My game always starts to stutter and act weird when
I leave the Labyrinth to go break the chain
. That's the point for me when the music starts to stutter, I get a loading icon and the eagle textures in the background fail to load (or so i would guess, they look really, really, ugly).

I don't know if this is a common issue, but so far it's happened to me on all playthroughs.

Nizz

Banjo Tango said:
The game keeps crashing on me at the same spot - every time I beat the
scorpion
boss and start jumping around on crates, the game eventually gets to a point where I'm surrounded by physics barriers and the music is stuck in a 3-second loop. Even more frustrating is that my auto-save fails to load (it just shows me the spinning Omega for as long as I care to leave my PS3 on).

Anyone else had this? Is there a patch in the works? I can't find any information on Sony's official site.
I also had weird stuff happen at that boss fight. I used the
Cestus
weapon to weaken its legs, then it laid there and I started pounding away. But nothing happened with the boss.

Matter of fact, since it was just sitting there, I kept wailing away until I got the "Hitman" trophy! But I knew something was off. When I quit out and reloaded the save, that boss definitely didn't just sit there.

Kratos also had something weird happen to him too at that fight. At one point, he kind of got stuck in the air. It's like he was stuck in an attacking animation, like lying on his stomach but in the air. His arms and legs up in the air, and he slid in that position in the air for like a second or two.

That was the only spot where I had weird stuff happen though.

Randy

purple cobra said:
I also had weird stuff happen at that boss fight. I used the
Cestus
weapon to weaken its legs, then it laid there and I started pounding away. But nothing happened with the boss.

Matter of fact, since it was just sitting there, I kept wailing away until I got the "Hitman" trophy! But I knew something was off. When I quit out and reloaded the save, that boss definitely didn't just sit there.

Kratos also had something weird happen to him too at that fight. At one point, he kind of got stuck in the air. It's like he was stuck in an attacking animation, like lying on his stomach but in the air. His arms and legs up in the air, and he slid in that position in the air for like a second or two.

That was the only spot where I had weird stuff happen though.

Same happened to me. Easy trophy!

Nizz

Randy said:
Same happened to me. Easy trophy!
:lol So something's gotta be up with that section! I'm still loving the game, even though I'm kinda stuck at a difficult part for me.
Kratos and Pandora reach the room where the man is hanging from chains
and all hell breaks loose.

Damn, I just can't get past this part in the game because of this crash :(

Poking around the internets, apparently this game crashes fairly often for people with older PS3s... and I've got a launch system. Is that true for everyone else who is noticing odd behavior?

YYZ

I have an MGS4 console and it runs great. I don't think it froze once. Mid-2008 so it's not old or new.

No_Style

I got the Platinum Trophy last night. It was surprisingly easy on Titan Mode as well. I died the most on
Hades
since I never knew there was more him than attacking him head on. For example, I never knew you could
dodge his attacks
during his final phase with the
open ground

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Darunia said:
. That's the point for me when the music starts to stutter, I get a loading icon and the eagle textures in the background fail to load (or so i would guess, they look really, really, ugly).

I don't know if this is a common issue, but so far it's happened to me on all playthroughs.
my game stutters right there too i also get a 2 minute loading pause when i m climbing the chain

Nizz

Banjo Tango said:

Poking around the internets, apparently this game crashes fairly often for people with older PS3s... and I've got a launch system. Is that true for everyone else who is noticing odd behavior?
The weird stuff I posted earlier that happened to me happened on my slim PS3, if that helps. Plus, I always have two saves going in addition to the game auto-saving.

BeeDog

Finished the game earlier today on Titan and got my Platinum trophy. :D Aside from some awfully difficult parts, Titan mode was very fun.

The hardest parts were, if I was to rate them:

1. The Fire Cerberus/Satyr fight. Good lord that was insanely hard; probably replayed that segment 12 times before finishing it. The Gorgon magic attack didn't help jack shit, so had to rely on the Phalanx magic and pure skillz.

2. The Zeus boss fight. Found it really hard on Titan, especially since you couldn't really fuck up without losing a shitton of health. The hardest part was obviously when the clone army attacks you inside of Gaia, ugh.

3. The end of the Labyrinth, when everything, EVERYTHING is thrown at you. Finished it on my third try at least, but it was tedious and just... hard.

4. The destruction of the Three Judges after number 1. The two Satyrs + the shitton of Onyx Shield skeletons raped me because I barely had any health left at that part, so for the first time I had to dodge/run and destroy the judges without fighting them.

5. The part with the two Chimeras before that huge gate (before the Pit of Tartarus) was unusually hard. Had to replay it a couple of times.

Other than that, Titan mode was surprisingly easy; the non-Zeus boss battles were all easy, though Hades required a bit of tact.

bill0527

Banjo Tango said:

I had something very odd happen to me. I just got the game today. About 30 minutes into it, I started to hear a very loud hissing sound and I thought it was coming out of my front speakers. I paused the game, still heard the sound. Changed the input on my TV, still heard the sound. I finally got my lazy ass up off the couch and walked to my entertainment center to see what the problem was. Turns out it was the PS3 fans making the god awful noise.

What's odd is that this is the very first time I've ever heard the fans go into some kind of hyper overdrive on this particular unit. I had a launch 60GB model and the fans would always kick in like this 10 minutes after the system came on, no matter what I was playing. It was annoying, and at least as loud as my launch 360, or pretty damn close to it.

Now I'm using a 40GB model from Fall '07 with a 320GB hard drive that I dropped into it. I game on this model because of the fact that I never heard the fans, unlike the 60GB model that I had. My 40GB model has always been deathly silent. Until today. I also keep all my systems on the very top shelf, completely out in the open and not enclosed. They aren't hurting for any ventilation.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Raist said:
Hades
on Chaos mode is a fucking PITA :(

I'm stuck on him as well. His first phase is a piece of cake, but his second phase has that 4 part claw swipe attack that manages to hit me from time to time. I must say that the lvl 2 bow is a pretty good way of staying clear from damage though, for the most part. Sucks that I always start to make mistakes after a while because the battle is sooo long :s

I am so fucking pissed. I am playing this game on Titan mode and have had my share of problems, but I'm so fucking angry. I'm very very close to the end of the game and I need some help:

I just got back down to the judges area and I'm fighting this fucking Cerberus and the dudes with the scythes, not sure what they're called. It's no problem ripping the first head off, but then the dude with the scythe shows up. Ok, I can use the gorgon to freeze him and he's dead, but the problem is when I get to the final part, two of them show up and if Idon't hit them with magic the first try, I odn't have enough to cast the third time. Is there a special way to kill all of this shit? It's litterally driving me nuts and I've been trying it for 45 minutes.

jett

D-Member
DownLikeBCPowder said:
I am so fucking pissed. I am playing this game on Titan mode and have had my share of problems, but I'm so fucking angry. I'm very very close to the end of the game and I need some help:

I just got back down to the judges area and I'm fighting this fucking Cerberus and the dudes with the scythes, not sure what they're called. It's no problem ripping the first head off, but then the dude with the scythe shows up. Ok, I can use the gorgon to freeze him and he's dead, but the problem is when I get to the final part, two of them show up and if Idon't hit them with magic the first try, I odn't have enough to cast the third time. Is there a special way to kill all of this shit? It's litterally driving me nuts and I've been trying it for 45 minutes.

You already have the basic strategy in place. Best thing to do is to activate rage of sparta in the part you're having trouble.

Raist

Banned
Darunia said:
I'm stuck on him as well. His first phase is a piece of cake, but his second phase has that 4 part claw swipe attack that manages to hit me from time to time. I must say that the lvl 2 bow is a pretty good way of staying clear from damage though, for the most part. Sucks that I always start to make mistakes after a while because the battle is sooo long :s

I can reach the part after you
rip off his boob
consistently without losing any health, but then it's a nightmare :(

edit: woot, kicked his ass. Wasn't that hard after all :x

finally done with the game. play on hard level all the way until the final boss..... i just want to move on... :lol

SUCH AN AWESOME GAME.... Thank You Santa Monica!!!

Hmm. Just finished the game all the way through on Titan mode. Also ready to just move on..

I liked the game, some aspects I did not like, though.. Cool ending somewhat, but still kind of hum ..

I just feel like .. I don't know how I feel really.

Edit: I do know that the ending is in line with where I want the series to go.

Raist said:
Hades
on Chaos mode is a fucking PITA :(

Phase 1:Stay away from Hades and pelt him with arrows, block when he uses his chain attack and roll when he uses his chain sweep. Once he takes enough damage, QTE him and destroy the piece of flesh. Get into the safe zone that appears shortly before he covers the room in chains.
Phase 2:Once again keep your distance and fire arrows. You will have to roll more often because his ground tear has a wide range and can't be blocked.
Phase 3:After damaging him enough he will stand in one corner of the room and fire souls/use a 3 hit chain whip. They are both blockable so it's easy to stand far away from him and pelt him. QTE him, tear off another piece of flesh, avoid the chains, and he'll go to his fourth phase.
Phase 4:Wait for him to start using ground claws, then hit Rage of Sparta and mash square. He will go down quickly. Or just block his cerebrus/souls and hit him in between dodging ground claws.

Yoboman

This bit where they throw everything at you in the Labyrinth is ridiculous on Titan :lol I've gotten through about 6 waves, and people are saying there are more difficult parts to come?:lol

jsnepo

I haven't finished the game yet because I'm stuck in that
scorpion
boss but I'm starting to consider that this game is probably the weakest in the trilogy. Everything is jaw dropping but I don't feel the sense of adventure the first two games gave me. Anyone else feels the same? I'm playing this in titan mode by the way.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
jsnepo said:
scorpion
boss but I'm starting to consider that this game is probably the weakest in the trilogy. Everything is jaw dropping but I don't feel the sense of adventure the first two games gave me. Anyone else feels the same? I'm playing this in titan mode by the way.

After having some time to let it sink in, I don't say it's the weakest but it has the least amount of stuff I can recall. A lot of the areas all just look samey, when I think back to GoW2 I recall a ton of areas and scenarios.

Yoboman

jsnepo said:
scorpion
Scorpion is easy, just scoot around with the air dash and use the Cestus's pummel move on the legs (hold square). Crowd control the little scorpions with the blades

Canova

Banned
GOW3 sold 1 million copies in TWO DAYS!

SCEA's Peter Dille confirms Santa Monica studio's acclaimed action adventure reached platinum sales milestone "in the first couple of days."

It would appear as if God of War III is turning in a herculean effort at retail. As part of the MI6 marketing conference in San Francisco this week, Peter Dille, who serves as SCEA's senior VP of marketing and PlayStation Network, confirmed that the Sony Santa Monica-developed action adventure sold 1 million units "in the first couple of days." The game achieved high critical marks upon its debut exclusively for the PlayStation 3 on March 16.

Kratos is actually smiling right now, on the inside.
Dille did not indicate whether God of War III's sales figure pertained to the global market or was limited to North America. The publisher had not responded to requests for clarification as of press time. However, the God of War franchise has a multimillion-unit-selling history, as the first two PlayStation 2 installments have combined to sell in excess of 8 million units, according to the LA Times.

God of War III marks the conclusion of Kratos' current story arc to bring about the fall of Olympus. As in previous installments, the visceral gameplay sees Kratos dismembering, decapitating, eviscerating, mutilating, and otherwise doing grievous bodily harm to a variety of mythological beasts. For this installment, gameplay also emphasizes fighting on monolithic Titans and mounting enemies, as well as gaining new weapons and additional attacks.

Barnzini

Neo Member
Darunia said:

Yeah my game froze at the same spot as you while climbing the chains, the music started to skip and it locks.

I had a small smudge on the disc so i wipped it off and tried again and it worked fine..

daxter01 said:
my game stutters right there too i also get a 2 minute loading pause when i m climbing the chain

Just climb the chain normally (no jump-skips) and the loading will be fine, it will load in
Pandora's chamber where the box is
. I had the exact same problem the first time too. SSM probably put it in to hide loading times

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Going to take another stab (no pun intended) at
Hades
on Chaos... Such a test of endurance, I hope he goes down this time

koene

Darunia said:
Hades

You can do it!

Just finished my Titan run. It went pretty well. Not frustrating at all. I should've chosen this difficulty for my first playthrough.

Raist

Banned
Darunia said:
Hades

Here's what I've done after the first phase:

The swipe part isn't that hard. He only uses a few different combinations:
- 4 low swipes: don't bother trying to hit him, just jump to dodge. However for the 3rd swipe you can spam arrows while in the air, it will slow down your fall and you should avoid the last 2 swipes.
- 1 low 1 high 2 low. I usually fire a couple of arrows when I notice he's going to swipe high. Not too many to prepare to jump for the last 2 low swipes
- 2 low 1 high. Spam arrows as soon as he's about to swipe high.

When he hits the ground with his claws, roll left for instance and before you stand up again hold right to dodge the second hit.

Rinse and repeat. Fire a couple of arrows between his moves, but not too many to be able to react quickly. Rip-off his boob while hitting as many hands as possible to get some health. You should eventually be able to reach that point with full health constently. Then he'll summon the chains, pay attention to the free spot on the ground just before they pop out.

For the next phase fire arrows as often as possible, and roll a lot to dodge his attacks and position behind him to fire arrows. When he falls from the ceiling next time, he'll stand next to the wall on the back. Either dodge his attacks (I think he hits three times so keep doing that left/right/left rolls, and when he draws souls from the wall try to deflect them back in his face. The part where he tries to draw you into the river Styx isn't really hard, and his final phase is quite easy as well.

I'm in the
caverns right now. The part where minotaurs break down the chain to make the crate fall is fucking annoying :(

Amir0x

Banned
Yoboman said:
This bit where they throw everything at you in the Labyrinth is ridiculous on Titan :lol I've gotten through about 6 waves, and people are saying there are more difficult parts to come?:lol

That's probably the hardest part for me. The Fire Cerberus was easy compared to that.

But, if you make smart use of the Sirens, and take out the Minotaurs so you get health from them, management of the long endless wave battle is possible.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Raist said:
Here's what I've done after the first phase:

just managed to beat him. His second phase was actually the hardest, all the others were easy. Glad it's over with though. Onwards!

Top Bottom