• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

Oddduck

What's the deal with people being promoted to this show's main cast and then never actually showing up on the show? Like Harvey Dent and Lucius Fox are technically main cast members, they're in the opening credits every week, but both of them have hardly even appeared this season, much less been involved in the story in any meaningful way.

I agree on Dent. It's weird how he's a regular but he's barely in this season. Doesn't make much sense.

As for Lucius, the promo shows him appearing in next week's episode. Also, he did appear in that Pinewood episode a few weeks ago.

(We really need more scenes with Lucius Fox interacting with Alfred / Bruce. Chris Chalk does a good job with the character.)

Sölf

This fucking show. The rocket launcher scene was probably the funnies one I have seen in weeks on this show. xD
Also, Killer Croc?
vj7G9rz.png
I don't want to see Fish again, unless her character changes drastically. But a return of Jerome as the final scene in S2, that I would dig.

Also, is Nygma working for Strange in the preview? It definitly looked like it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What's the deal with people being promoted to this show's main cast and then never actually showing up on the show? Like Harvey Dent and Lucius Fox are technically main cast members, they're in the opening credits every week, but both of them have hardly even appeared this season, much less been involved in the story in any meaningful way.

I can't even think of more than 5 minutes of screentime that Dent has had this season. Even during arcs where he could have easily been prominent (like when Gordon was framed) he was a complete afterthought.

Ithil

Selina actually doing some sleuthing for once instead of just hanging around in windows was a welcome change, but the main part of the episode fell flat after promise last week. Having episodes revolve around someone threatening Bruce is pointless because he is literally the single safest character on the show. However...

I can't hate on this.

Incredible.

If they just embraced this aspect of the show wholeheartedly instead of dipping in and out of it, it would be ideal.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Gotham has ascended to GDLK TV. It was already a damn good TV show and quite probably the best funny book based one, but Butch's music cue had me howling.

This show is so much funnier and well done than it has any right to be.

That take with Butch and Penguin among the flames was also terrific.

WqQxcPZ.gif

Look at these badasses.

Ithil

Given all this Wrath of the Villains stuff, if the show just revolved around Penguin, Riddler and co as its main characters instead of Gordon, it would potentially become incredible.

I had to laugh at Azrael exclaiming "Unexpected!" when Gordon conveniently appears at the right second to shoot him. It was like "No it wasn't".

Sölf;203087008 said:
Also, is Nygma working for Strange in the preview? It definitly looked like it.
I interpreted that as him taking over the place. That's why he's in there alone, still wearing his black and white bars. Plus, the preview also shows that
the Court of Owls considers Strange a failure, so his days running the asylum are probably over very soon.

Oddduck

All of Penguin's lines were gold in this episode.

"If Galavan wanted to wear leather, he should wear leather. This is Gotham City, no one cares!"

and this...

tumblr_o6xugyUt001qgkp0so4_400.gif

Man, this show. This damn show. It's way better than it should be. Just the fact that it makes every other comic book show out there look so incredibly cheap.

And I don't know if I hadn't noticed it before, but the comedic timing that's been underlined with music was so good in this episode. First, the hospital scene, when Penguin "swears" to leave them one, and then at the end, of course. Straight up cartoony, but because this is Gotham, it works so well.

Alright you convinced me.

I'll give it another go.

What can I skip ? Cause I'm not gonna endure that season 1's beginning again and I forgot most of what happened.

i probably quit at episode 4 or 5. The delivery was also painful in those episodes from what I remember.

I understand dark comedy, but they clearly had not mastered it back then and it was cheesy in a bad way.

I trust you guys though. Can somebody do me a quick summary of season 1 minus the finale ? I'll watch the 4 last episodes of it I guess.

Skip season 1 entirely. It's a waste of time. You know who the Penguin is and that he runs the mob? Good, that's all you need to know. Oh, and Barbara went crazy. There you go. Now go straight to Season 2.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'd argue that enduring three first season helps in developing some real appreciation for the massive upgrade that is the second one, but advocating for watching it in its entirety may be close to endorsing masochism. Four episodes is more than enough.

Blue Lou

This is frustrating for a UK viewer, you guys are several episodes ahead. Episode 17 aired last night.

I enjoyed last season, but so far, there's light and day between the two. Season two is much better.

TreIII

Gotham has ascended to GDLK TV. It was already a damn good TV show and quite probably the best funny book based one, but Butch's music cue had me howling.

This show is so much funnier and well done than it has any right to be.

Yeah...it can't be reiterated enough that Gotham had an AMAZING Season 2. I can only hope these crazy Showrunners have ideas for years to come.

Ithil said:
Given all this Wrath of the Villains stuff, if the show just revolved around Penguin, Riddler and co as its main characters instead of Gordon, it would potentially become incredible.

Disagree here, though.

Because Bruce is, thankfully, still a kid, the only other candidate for being the "straight man tryin' to do right" protag (so to speak) is Gordon. And much like how you needed Batman as a sort of "opposite" to the various members of his rouge's gallery, so too do you need Gordon in this show as a barometer to show just how crazy they and the world they live in truly are.

Ishida

Banned
Screw you people saying to skip Season 1. It was great. Penguin alone and his schemes to rise in power make Season 1 worth watching.

Screw you people saying to skip Season 1. It was great. Penguin alone and his schemes to rise in power make Season 1 worth watching.

Nothing makes the entire season 1 worth watching. There might be some good moments in some few episodes, but they're not good enough to endure the entire season. There's a reason why they shifted the format of the second season away from the mess that it was.

____

Nothing makes the entire season 1 worth watching. There might be some good moments in some few episodes, but they're not good enough to endure the entire season. There's a reason why they shifted the format of the second season away from the mess that it was.

Ehh, I enjoyed it and would recommend it. Some folks making it seem completely unwatchable are too harsh on it imo. Definitely not as good as this one by far but it was fun enough.

Ishida

Banned

I disagree. The entire Season 1 was great.

Apoc29

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was ahead of its time...the rocket launcher scene immediately reminded me of that one episode.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Season 1 has its problems, particularly the whole filler-arc with Fish, but it serves a valuable purpose in setting up Gotham's transition from a basic alternate-NY into its comic-book form.

I think the character that sums up the transition best is Erin Richards' Barbara Keen. She starts out as the most useless, pointless, character in the show - to the extent that I was actually feeling bad for her as an actor having to slum it in a role that consisted entirely of
schlepping around in lingerie and whining.

Then... shit happens, she goes nuts and suddenly becomes a pretty awesome villain. Its a rapid, extreme, transition that really sets the tone for how s1 segues into s2.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Odd complaint, but I don't like Selina's new hairstyle. I was just getting used to the curls...

Not an odd complaint at all. I found it super distracting.

Also, I love
Fish and how Jada chomps out the camera like there's no tomorrow,
so I'm glad she's back. Granted, her story was kinda crap back then, but that was before Gotham turned into the great show that it is right now.

Top Bottom