• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

sdornan

I remember people would talk a lot about funny things they heard on the talk radio station in the past GTAs. Haven't seen as much of that with GTA V. Is it cause it's not as good, or are there too many other things to discuss?

Sorian

Banned
I remember people would talk a lot about funny things they heard on the talk radio station in the past GTAs. Haven't seen as much of that with GTA V. Is it cause it's not as good, or are there too many other things to discuss?

Weasel News segments after each and every story and side quest mission ave been top notch as usual.

cackhyena

Soooo concerning a random blue dot with Trevor...
I was driving an atv near a helipad in the desert when I see the blue dot not far from there. I pull up close to a parked, beat up van and scope it out. As I'm sneaking trying to see if I can find a person, someone says...something, can't remember, and all of a sudden I'm out cold and wake up in my underwear on the train tracks. Is that some creep i eventually need to try and get the drop on? Or is it something unavoidable, should I run into the same scenario?

It's the latter. I've been really enjoying the talk radio segments, so much so that I will sit in the car before I trigger an event to finish whatever segment. Chakra Attack ranting about how legit coconut water is is vintage GTA talk radio.

Rizsparky

Has anyone spontaneously exploded? I just started from my last checkpoint and was walking past a fence and all of a sudden I exploded and ragdolled. Was definitely a WTF moment.

Chuck

Still without luck
I was thinking Rockstar should (but won't) release some kind of GTA IV Special Edition which would be the same game with V's new mechanics, physics, and ai of the new game. Maybe a PC mod will have to do...

GTA Online does have real, meaty missions with more story, voice acting, etc. It also has a lot of semi-random emergent stuff, which is where the 500 missions figure comes from.

Genius of Rockstar to tie so many achievements and trophies to online, and then not launch it for 2 weeks. Ensures people hold onto their copies, driving down trade-ins and used sales.

Also, if people people aren't using Social Club, sign up for it right now.

It gives you a map with all collectible locations and random event locations.

It gives you a complete checklist of everything you need to do to get 100%.

It lets you see your stats and performance for any of the 69 main missions you've completed, with specific instructions on what the objectives are to help you get Gold medals.

It gives you comprehensive stats that aren't available in game, like which vehicles you have or haven't driven, etc.
The checklist only reveals the location of the items I've found so far, not where everything is. Does it show that after I finish the game?

Alienous

I hope the main cast learnt Michael Hollick's lesson, and got some of that royalty goodness.

They share the main role in the biggest entertainment product of all time. I hope Rockstar is good to them.

GrayGrey

Neo Member
GTA V really is a testament to how masculinity is perceived and gained in American society. From the menacing facial hair to the variety of sports played to gain "strength", I think there is a cogent theme underneath the storyline and gameplay. Houser and co did it again!

StuBurns

Banned
It's incredible that R* not only use 'nobodies' for VO, they also get the industry's best performances from them. Insane stuff. Their VO director must be some next level genius.

Anyone catched what Michael said when the trio was talking about their first coup and how much they banked during the drive to a mission?

Michaels first coup was in
Carcer City--->Manhunt 1

Bricky

Well, just finally finished the game! I've got to say that some thing in the last third of the game disappointed me a bit compared to the awesome early missions and story. The ending
is a bit anti-climactic if you pick Option C (which I did, I didn't even consider the other options as possibly good endings). I think they wrote themself in a bit of a corner in not really having any other way to end it than have the player kill all the bad guys and calling it a day. Read about A and B after finishing though and I've got to say those sound way more impactfull. The fact they really 'delete' the character from your game, period, is a very smart way to make the player actually live with the consequences of their actions. Still happy with the option I picked, just dissapointed that the story didn't really reach a big, interesting, shocking climax like Red Dead Redemption for example).

Overall it was an amazing experience, especially the fact that the main campaign was so long yet there were so many fantastic missions (it could've easily gotten way more repetitive than it did; they did a great job on keeping everything interesting till the end). They haven't surpassed Red Dead Redemption when it comes to story and style/theme (but that comes down to preference really), but this is easily the best R* game yet when it comes to gameplay, worldbuilding/map, fun-factor, amount of content and overall quality of everything else. Add to that the fact I really digged the 3-character dynamic, and this is most certainly one of the better games this generation.

You're all way overhyping Lamar though. #TeamWade

AngryMoth

I'd like to know how many hours the 3 leads spent in the recording studio, the amount of dialogue in this game is just staggering. So often I am surprised by a little line they have just for a really specific instance that most people wouldn't see.

botty

Banned
GTA V really is a testament to how masculinity is perceived and gained in American society. From the menacing facial hair to the variety of sports played to gain "strength", I think there is a cogent theme underneath the storyline and gameplay. Houser and co did it again!

You didn't lie. GTAV might be the most intellectually layered game of all time.

Sorian

Banned
Soooo concerning a random blue dot with Trevor...
I was driving an atv near a helipad in the desert when I see the blue dot not far from there. I pull up close to a parked, beat up van and scope it out. As I'm sneaking trying to see if I can find a person, someone says...something, can't remember, and all of a sudden I'm out cold and wake up in my underwear on the train tracks. Is that some creep i eventually need to try and get the drop on? Or is it something unavoidable, should I run into the same scenario?

Happened to me as well when I was about 60% through the main story. Never found any follow up to it, hopefully I do one day.

Fjordson

I'd like to know how many hours the 3 leads spent in the recording studio, the amount of dialog in this game is just staggering. So often I am surprised by a little line they have just for a really specific instance that most people wouldn't see.
I saw on Ned Luke's Twitter a picture he posted of him and the other two leads and he said something to the effect of "3 years working with these guys!" in the tweet. Must have spent a ton of time in the booth overall.

kiyomi

That first Grass Roots - Franklin cutscene with Barry was awesome. Took me for a twist and gave me a good chuckle.

Still loving this, must have 30+ hours in and only completed 31% or so. Only done the 1st heist. lol

Hale-XF11

I can't get gold in the *first* helicopter flight school... I have gold in the second one, the supposedly "harder" one, but the first one... damnit, I can't get gold in that. I had what I considered a pretty much perfect run and was still 4 seconds short.

The speed run is actually easier because you can line up your landing quicker... the one before it has you making a sharp turn right before you have to ladn the thing, which takes precious time. I also hate flying helicopters so I have no interest in doing it again haha.

Other than that, the landing on the bridge one was trickily tough. I got it out of sheer luck randomly one time. Other times I'd have a perfect approach only to have a big rig be driving through the zone right when I'm trying to land.

oh god, I absolutely hated trying to land on the bridge. I got that one wrong sooooo many times before I finally realized I wasn't breaking early and hard enough.

I also didn't understand the tutorial where you do a half loop with the roll at the end until I finally got it right.

SJRB

Gold Member
Probably asked and answered a million times already, but I need some diving gear. Is this something that unlocks somewhere along the story progression or do I have to look for something specific?

Just found a Coil Voltic. It's an all electric roadster based on Tesla's Roadster. I put some money into it and my word it is fast. It has no gears and takes off like a bullet.

StuBurns

Banned
Probably asked and answered a million times already, but I need some diving gear. Is this something that unlocks somewhere along the story progression or do I have to look for something specific?
'Need'? The first time you need it, you're given it automatically.

If you just want some, you need a dingy, steal one, or buy the sonar property.

EDIT: That Coil Voltic people are talking about, I'm pretty sure there's one in the place where you can buy dock slips. I boosted one earlier.

Sorian

Banned

I mean no disrepect but seeing some of your posts today really makes me want to tag quote you every time.

kiyomi

Just found a Coil Voltic. It's an all electric roadster based on Tesla's Roadster. I put some money into it and my word it is fast. It has no gears and takes off like a bullet.
I found that earlier too, crazy acceleration. So what was the first thing I did when I realised that fact? Made it go even faster.

TEH-CJ

Banned
hey guys. just a quick question. if I start a new game will it overwrite and delete my progress?

has anyone started a new game?

I'm only like 30% through the game, but man, I'm really enjoying it.

To be honest I wasn't even going to pick it up. I bought into the hype with every GTA game and I never get passed a few hours without getting bored and never touching it again. I figured I'd learn my lesson and not waste $60 like I did on GTA IV.

Man, was I wrong. This game is a total blast! So glad I picked it up yesterday.

Sorian

Banned
hey guys. just a quick question. if I start a new game will it overwrite and delete my progress?

has anyone started a new game?

Do a hard save (sleeping at a safe house) and starting a new game will have no effect on that hard save. Your auto saves will be overridden automatically of course.

You are not ready but you are ready.

Kifflom brother.

It's a Michael quest, right?

How do you start it?

SJRB

Gold Member

EDIT: That Coil Voltic people are talking about, I'm pretty sure there's one in the place where you can buy dock slips. I boosted one earlier.

Yeah, I "need" one. But thanks anyway.

Stealing the Jet and Buzzard (I know you can buy one but I'd rather just get if for free) is annoying as hell. I shouldn't have went up to the base as Trevor and his terrible driving stat lol. Even if you fly low it looks like the Buzzard isn't even fast enough to out run the SAM turrets and the enemy choppers. There probably is a way to do it.

I found
Jesus Christ
near one of the Marina's. He was ranting about how
his dad wasn't cool because of that thing that he let them do to him, and he looked a lot like the depiction of Jesus that they had in Family Guy. And he was stoned as hell.
I shot him in the back of the head with a shotgun, and I did felt a wee bit of remorse.

Top Bottom