• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Derrick01

Banned
So I'm looking at the 100% checklist, what's in the "Misceleanous" exactly? I only got 3 of those...

I'll put my answer in spoilers just in case.

Looking at the social club site it's mostly small things like buy a weapon mod, buy a car mod, hang out with a friend at a strip club, hang out with a friend and play golf or tennis, rob a store. Small stuff like that

If you want to know in detail about all of the stuff in the game the Social Club site breaks it all down and will tell you what they are when you hover over the pic. It separates them all into the same categories the 100% checklist does.

Megasoum

Banned
I'll put my answer in spoilers just in case.

Looking at the social club site it's mostly small things like buy a weapon mod, buy a car mod, hang out with a friend at a strip club, hang out with a friend and play golf or tennis, rob a store. Small stuff like that

Ah cool, yeah I just found out about the Social Club checklist (now that I can actually load the site). Will be rally helpfull for getting the "true" 100%.

Wow that map is amazing...

Btw, is there any in game "non cheat" ways of
finding Letter Scraps and Spaceships Parts
? Like I know you can stumble upon them but is there any narrative that would normally help you finding them? If there it I would use that before using the social club map but if there's none then whatever.

Mikey Jr.

You know, this game is awesome, but it has the same problem that I have with every GTA.

The "story" is fucking atrocious. I mean, the acting is great, but I am 70% of the way in this game and I have no idea why I am doing what I am doing half the time.

I have no idea what my motivations are. I don't know who the main antagonist is. Why am I picking this guy up? Who is he? Why are we doing this now? Why are we going here? Why did we just do that job? We got nothing out of it and it didn't advance the story at all.......

If you asked me to tell you the plot, I honestly wouldn't know how to. I don't even know what the end goal is here, and I'm probably a few hours away from completion.

Not a big deal, but something I find really lacking in these games.

nib95

Banned
After some mental stat comparison, I think the cars are actually the same once tuned. Top Speed may be very slightly higher for the exclusive cars, but even a mere Benefactor can easily keep up.

Edit: I once drove a car that was powered by a turbine or something - at least it sounded like it. It may be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5UmVM60nXM

That is joint fastest car in the game. The Veyron still has a higher top speed. But no, all max tuned cars are not the same at all. For example, Trevors truck for me has max acceleration but is not even close to as fast off the mark as my super cars. Neither is Michaels Audi A6.It seems every car has a different maximum.

I do however believe that once the max stat is achieved, there's no point upgrading anything else as it no longer changes performance. Only if you see a blue segment indicating improvement does it actually make a difference. Though the turbo does always add a turbo whine sound, so it's best to always first upgrade that, and only what you need to with every others.

Lima

You know, this game is awesome, but it has the same problem that I have with every GTA.

The "story" is fucking atrocious. I mean, the acting is great, but I am 70% of the way in this game and I have no idea why I am doing what I am doing half the time.

I have no idea what my motivations are. I don't know who the main antagonist is. Why am I picking this guy up? Who is he? Why are we doing this now? Why are we going here? Why did we just do that job? We got nothing out of it and it didn't advance the story at all.......

If you asked me to tell you the plot, I honestly wouldn't know how to. I don't even know what the end goal is here, and I'm probably a few hours away from completion.

So it's the problem of the game that you don't pay attention?

Megasoum

Banned
Holy shit at the social club website...you can even go into each missions and see all the pictures that people took during that mission... And not only that but it will actually show you on the map where that person was when he/she took the picture... It's like the geotagging stuff from Facebook or Instagram hahaha amazing.

Alienous

So it's the problem of the game that you don't pay attention?

No, it really is the game. Heck,
I think some of the characters comment on how they are lost as to who wants them dead

You can almost feel the writers try to scramble towards a conclusion in the latter half of the game. They are seriously talented at writing characters people care about, but they can hardly write a decent story. That said, it would be extremely difficult to write a story for a game of GTA V's magnitude.

Lima

No, it really is the game. Heck,
I think some of the characters comment on how they are lost as to who wants them dead

You can almost feel the writers try to scramble towards a conclusion in the latter half of the game. They are seriously talented at writing characters people care about, but they can hardly write a decent story. That said, it would be extremely difficult to write a story for a game of GTA V's magnitude.

I never had a problem following the story, but maybe that was because I only did the story and left the side stuff for once I had finished the game. I was just doing mission after mission and it was pretty easy to follow the story.

InertiaXr

When do the offroad races unlock, and are they Trevor-only? I thought I saw somebody earlier in the thread say that but not completely sure.

I'm personally loving it. All the shit that gets heaped on the main characters is hilarious, and they're just scrambling to survive. I've been able to keep the antagonists fairly straight along with the motivations. It does get a bit convoluted, yeah, but I'm finding it enjoyable. The storyline here is a hell of a lot better than GTA4's. I don't run into that ludonarrative dissonance thing, I'm finding the leads really likeable and not... bothersome as Niko was.

Michael and Trevor are just fantastic. Using old guys as the protagonists of GTA5 was genius.

The whole 'hipster' conversation was so goddamn hilarious.

rbanke

I'm feeling dense, but I still can't figure out how to save cars at the stand alone garages. When you drive up to the door it just says 'Press > to enter garage" the door doesn't open. How do you save at these garages?

sdornan

I know what you mean. Sometimes I think the writers put too much faith in the player being able to read between the lines. I understand the protagonists' back stories and motivations, but I don't really get the
Steve and the FIB
side of the story.
They're simultaneously corrupt but somehow "doing the right thing" for the American people?

nib95

Banned

YuShtink

How many more goddamn missions do I have to do before I get a big pay day? Jesus christ, I'm over 40% through the game and all of my characters are broke.

Zukuu

Banned
That is joint fastest car in the game. The Veyron still has a higher top speed. But no, all max tuned cars are not the same at all. For example, Trevors truck for me has max acceleration but is not even close to as fast off the mark as my super cars. Neither is Michaels Audi A6.It seems every car has a different maximum.

I do however believe that once the max stat is achieved, there's no point upgrading anything else as it no longer changes performance. Only if you see a blue segment indicating improvement does it actually make a difference. Though the turbo does always add a turbo whine sound, so it's best to always first upgrade that, and only what you need to with every others.

I meant from the super / sports cars department. That a truck won't be faster should be obvious :p

My favorite car for now (just because of looks) is the Benefactor Feltzer in matte black. So dope. Reminds me about my favorite car in GTA IV, which was the SULTAN RS, which seems to be lacking in this one. Only the normal Sultan is available, and I don't think I've ever seen one lol

I'm done with GTA V for now, which saddens me, because I kinda want to play more, but just ideling around isn't something for me. Did it today for a few hours and don't feel the need to prolong that. Back in the day I could spent DAYS in GTA III just driving around and doing stuff. I changed. #oldfart_feeling

Will come back for GTA online tho.

Mayyhem

question regarding the last assassination mission for lester:

I invested all my money into GoldCoast before I killed the target, and now the stock has been steadily going up since his death little by little. It's up to like 205 and I feel like it'll keep going. Anybody know where it caps?

Alienous

I know what you mean. Sometimes I think the writers put too much faith in the player being able to read between the lines. I understand the protagonists' back stories and motivations, but I don't really get the
Steve and the FIB
side of the story.
They're simultaneously corrupt but somehow "doing the right thing" for the American people?

The way I understood it,
the FIB and the IAA(?) are trying to make the others look like fools, to increase their own funding, and their own chances of promotion. So Steve's actions are treacherous, but he's only sabotaging another American government organization. He thinks he knows, more than the IAA, what's good for Americans.

cdkee

Banned
I finished the game, bought an Adder, customized, then crashed and flew out the windshield and died. Luckily it showed up at the impound. Or I'd have been very angry.

Zukuu

Banned
How many more goddamn missions do I have to do before I get a big pay day? Jesus christ, I'm over 40% through the game and all of my characters are broke.

Yeah, it felt kinda off. You get big pay - then starvation for an eternity and then big pay again. They should ahve given more rewards in that drought. Felt really stagnating.

Tho, you have enough money if you don't tune non-standard cars and buy any properties, which are useless anyway. (except for a few, but not for money generating)

tumblr_inline_mix08zef7A1qz4rgp.gif

This. IS. The. Best. News. Today.

Yes. Yes. YES.

tumblr_mmq2u5YjMv1ra2tjoo1_400.gif

Dead Man

I finished the game, bought an Adder, customized, then crashed and flew out the windshield and died. Luckily it showed up at the impound. Or I'd have been very angry.

I know they want to show off their physics engine, but the low health and lack of seatbelts makes for some irritating travelling.

I did the mission with Michael and Jimmy (mission spoiler)
where Jimmy slips Michael some acid and Michael trips balls before falling out of the sky.

Fucking awesome. What was the name of that song?

Then I hit the infamous mission with Trevor (mission/story spoiler)
where you torture the terrorist.

I'm really hoping it builds from here but bravo Rockstar. Great mission, made a great point without being too heavy handed.

Alienous

I did the mission with Michael and Jimmy (mission spoiler)
where Jimmy slips Michael some acid and Michael trips balls before falling out of the sky.

Fucking awesome. What was the name of that song?

Then I hit the infamous mission with Trevor (mission/story spoiler)
where you torture the terrorist.

I'm really hoping it builds from here but bravo Rockstar. Great mission, made a great point without being too heavy handed.

"The C90s - Shine A Light (Flight Facilities Remix) "

Cannot believe how insanely good the score is from the game. The music they made is insanely competent. Volume 2 is a must buy. Probably buy the whole thing tbh.

Rockstar makes amazing scores. I'm almost disappointed that GTAV is as goofy as it is because some of the more atmospheric Tangerine Dream stuff on there would make the game even better if it was a purely moody heist epic.

YuShtink

Yeah, it felt kinda off. You get big pay - then starvation for an eternity and then big pay again. They should ahve given more rewards in that drought. Felt really stagnating.

Tho, you have enough money if you don't tune non-standard cars and buy any properties, which are useless anyway. (except for a few, but not for money generating)

Yea I was kinda stupid and spent some money on a couple garages and car customizations expecting rewards for a lot of these missions.

Dead Man

Rockstar makes amazing scores. I'm almost disappointed that GTAV is as goofy as it is because some of the more atmospheric Tangerine Dream stuff on there would make the game even better if it was a purely moody heist epic.

When I saw Tangerine Dream on the credits I hoped it would be good, I didn't know they were still doing work.

It's funny. The game sorta ebbs and flows between serious, moody moments and then high-flying insanity. Like, they're casing a place
the bank out in the sticks
, there's this really great music playing, and they're pretty dead serious. Then the scene finishes, and Mike and Trevor race across the mountain. It's funny. Music is brilliant regardless of the goofiness. I'm just gonna fantasize about robbing banks and play that music all day on my phone.

But man, the music is so good. Sets the music so well. Max Payne 3's soundtrack last year was utterly phenomenal, the best of the year, and I think GTAV's will take the cake this year. RDR's was beautiful. Even LA Noire, as utterly shit as that game is, the soundtrack was just beautiful.

No matter what, the soundtrack/score will always be worth it in a R* game.

I stopped playing for the day, but it looks like we're ramping up to another heist... and this one, man I have high hopes.

The actors in this game are so good. I'd be willing to just watch a movie of GTAV's story cause the actors are so good.

Cinders

I'm loving the game so far (45% into it). Sure, there are things that could be better, things that could have been eliminated or fleshed out even further, but I can't think of a more fun open world game at the moment. I thought the story started out very well but then became a little loose...I haven't finished the game yet, so I'm going to reserve final judgment for later.

As odd as this may seem, GTAV reminds of Terminator 2 more than anything else (outside of previous GTAs). The LA setting, the desert setting, the vehicular chases, the gun fights, some of the set pieces, and even parts of the original score are reminiscent of the dark, melancholic, "metallic" feel of the Terminator 2 soundtrack. This is a good thing. I love that movie.

The theme that started playing (mid-late game spoiler) when
the crew busts out of the Paleto bank with fucking riot gear and miniguns blew me away
. That was approaching Metal Gear Rising levels of "fuck yeah!"

oneils

Still in love with this game. Have about 38 hours played and still haven't played through the main story yet. I think I still have 15 missions to go. Almost finished all of the question mark arcs.

-PXG-

Finished to story. Excellent game. Blew me away and exceeded my expectations in every single way.

Credits have been rolling forever. God damn.

Grisby

Dammit. Was on a heist, died, and got the the infinite loading checkpoint for a second time. Had to reboot the game and it started be back before the mission.

That certainly took out the energy out of the game tonight. On the up side, I know I need to bring more rockets for it.

Hey where's the fancy haircut place? I found it once, now I can't find it again. Does it have unusual hours or do you have to be dressed a certain way for it to appear?

Top Bottom