• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

MYeager

Personally, I love the story and character chemistry a lot. GTA San Andreas was goofy in a lot of ways just for the sake of being goofy to shake things up. The goofiness and humor in V still feels tied down to reality, while any seriousness feels genuine and warranted. Rockstar and the writers specifically found the perfect middle ground.

Ditto. Even the missions that didn't result in monetary rewards were rewarding because of the additional narrative progress. Every story mission feels rooted to the motives of the characters or related to things the characters have done, or the consequence of the characters actions. Sure, it bites the characters in the ass sometimes but this is the first GTA game that it doesn't feel like I'm running chores for other characters instead of advancing the plot (except for the side missions).

Robot Pants

Why can't I use the Internet in this game?!!! Seriously making me upset. I have no idea what's going. It just disappears after a second

terrible

Banned
What is everyones top speed? I hit 202 with an Infernus, I cant seem to do any better. Even though I have an Adder fully modded and the website claims it has a top speed of 250, I can't get close to even 200. My Cheetah maxes out around 128, the website claimed 220. What am I doing wrong?

It claims my fastest is 207.53 mph in a Banshee but that must be a glitch since it doesn't seem very fast. 2nd most (which is my real top speed) is 139.61 mph in an Adder.

MYeager

Also, I just started hanging out with some of the other characters and while it's completely optional, there's some great dialogue that's worth the effort if you're looking for additional story stuff. Ditto with LifeInvader and Bleeter. It's not mandatory but there's occasionally things in there that just add more to the story, like with Franklin's ex girlfriend.

george_us

Just completed
Minor Turbulence.

This fucking game man.

GTA5 somehow feels even more batshit insane than something like Saints Row IV. A lot of these missions are insanely inventive.

Tunavi

Banned
the one bad thing about this game is the character movement. so sluggish. any way to get them faster like the treadmill in san andreas?

The "I Fought the Law" mission was fantastic. Ripping down the highway in high speed cars listening to Trevor as he impersonated a cop the whole way. Hilarious.

Lol, there are many people I know hating on Trevor because he
killed Johnny K
. I know
it's a shock
but I did not expect (some) people to hate him like that.

Lol, there are many people I know hating on Trevor because he
killed Johnny K
. I know
it's a shock
but I did not expect (some) people to hate him like that.
I love Trevor the character I just thought that the way they
killed Johnny was disrespectful to his character
and didn't feel appropriate for the moment either.

It remains to be seen what I think of him after the story wraps.

Haven't even really touched the missions yet. Still having so much fun exploring and immersing myself in the world.
That's my favorite thing about this game. It's so easy to just spend hours exploring and seeing all the sites and doing all the activites and just fooling around. Most games I tend to stick mainly to the missions and side quests and then go back and explore after, but with this game it's pretty typical to spend a few hours not even touching a mission. I can only imagine what it's going to be like once GTA Online is up and running.

Hip Hop

Cool - I've just never seen one or a Fire Station and I'm halfway through the main missions.

They are definitely there. I used a bomb inside Michael's home to see how the family would react. They all died (but still in the game) and a crew of firemen came inside the house.

There seem to be a lot of secrets/easter eggs in this game but I really hope there's an Batman AA style secret that people don't find for months.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
7:30am... Still no sleep, work in 25 minutes :lol

Can't believe I'm heading to work with zero sleep.. This game man!

NEAR ENDING SPOILERS
stopped playing at The Big Score... I'm saving the best (?) till when I come home...

I really REALLY DONT WANT THIS GAME TO END :,( haven't felt this way in a long, long time... Such a brilliant game. Hopefully the ending-mission and the ending itself is just as good! HYPPEEEE!

Got something to look forward to at work now..

Haines

Banned
I cant figure out what the online is for this game when it hits. Like do I want to make sure I beat the main game 100% before I go online? Is online even going to compare to the SP?

sdornan

I love standing somewhere and just watching things happen in the city, especially when the police are involved. Los Santos has the most useless paramedics though - they come to stare at the dead body for a few seconds and then drive away.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haha!

As I'm walking to the bus station and morning traffic is all around me, I feel like grabbing one of these pretty cars and take it to work

Fuck

GTA man

cdkee

Banned
7:30am... Still no sleep, work in 25 minutes :lol

Can't believe I'm heading to work with zero sleep.. This game man!

NEAR ENDING SPOILERS
stopped playing at The Big Score... I'm saving the best (?) till when I come home...

I really REALLY DONT WANT THIS GAME TO END :,( haven't felt this way in a long, long time... Such a brilliant game. Hopefully the ending-mission and the ending itself is just as good! HYPPEEEE!

Got something to look forward to at work now..

I'm with you man.I finished the game today and am a little sad. Even though it took me about 33 hrs, it felt so fast! I think it might be the GOTG for me. Possibly even the GOAT.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Haha!

As I'm walking to the bus station and morning traffic is all around me, I feel like grabbing one of these pretty cars and take it to work

Fuck

GTA man

Jesus Christ Yoshi.

Thank god no one has introduced you to meth/heroin/crack.

cdkee

Banned
Honestly, I don't know how Rockstar can top this game...I loved everything about it. The story, the setting, the characters, the insane 007 type secret agent shit missions. You know a game is great when after you finish you long for some more because the characters are so well done.

While the credits were running I almost felt like the game was too short, then I checked that it took me over 30 hours. That's how you know a game is amazing.

Yoshichan

Currently @45 hours, and nearing the end of my first playthrough. Awesomely enough, the time spent on each of the main characters has been split up almost perfectly!

Franklin: 14h
Michael: 16h
Trevor: 15h

LOVE the balance
It's probably been said, but the pause/map music in this game is perfect. Spacey and reflective, just right.
THIS.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
is it possible to get the white target dot a littler bigger somehow? will it automatically get bigger with weapons and upgrades?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Well that was really awkward.
Flying back from using the sub theft, looking around with the camera at the scenery and a stunt plane flew into my chopper.

Most annoying death so far.

Chuck

Still without luck
They should patch in spotify support. I'm pretty sure I've listened to every song that I want to listen to at least twice.

Haines

Banned
Damn...

I love the shit out of this game (first gta ive actually liked) but anytime i try to read online i basically stumble across stuff i wwould have rather found in game on my own, so i think im just going to avoid everything gta til i feel like ive found everything i can....

cdkee

Banned
0_0.jpg

Just drove around the entire island on my custom bike, in first person view. So amazing.

The thought of Oculus Rift first person motorcycle riding made me aroused.

Sonix90

Neo Member
One thing some may have overlooked (I know I did, and I'm almost 30 hours in) - you can leave permanent marks on your map in the pause menu with the triangle button. Great for marking weapons, stores to rob, cars and anything else. Now, if only you could tag them...

ace3skoot

I guess the answer too this would be a spoiler, but once you finish the story, is the world still open and you can you still do everything you have missed? think I might be progressing to quickly, but im really enjoying it,

Crow meet dinner plate. After the somewhat slow opening and crazy bugs I experienced in the opening few hours I was ready to write off GTAV as another overhyped Rockstar game, but after playing it for several hours now it's fucking fantastic.

My completion percentage is only like 20 percent and I've only done one heist so far, but it already feels 10 times more engrossing than GTAIV. It hasn't reached RDR levels yet, but I can't stop playing it. I unlocked Trevor recently and just fucked around with him for several hours already. Michael was/is great, as is Franklin, but Trevor feels like a Hunter S. Thompson character on steroids.

I think what really hooked me was some of the random events that took place and one of the missions I did tonight:
I was going to go hunting when I stumbled upon on something that looked like the opening scene of No Country For Old men. A bunch of cars and dead guys and a drug deal gone bad. I got to grab the cash and the last guy alive says not to do it or I'm dead. Sure enough, seconds after I grab the cash I realize it's an ambush and I get killed by guys on dirt bikes. Then, as I'm driving to do a mission, I see another random event unfolding. There's car overturned in the median and the driver is the only one left alive. I stop and pick her up, Trevor deciding not to take her to the cultists and she tells me she was a driver on a job that went bad and got stabbed. I like to listen to the driving conversations before actually driving because I want to soak everything in. So she's telling me about this job, but before I realize it she bleeds out and dies in my car. Just before I stopped playing tonight, I decided to take a break and watch the television. I watched this Fame or Shame clip that was completely lampooning American Idol and America's got Talent. Little did I know that the next story mission involved actually crashing Fame or Shame. It felt so organic and awesome.

I have so many questions though. I'm really liking the story, but I want to take a step back and fulfill some of my OCD min/max tendencies. What should I be spending money on? Properties give you weekly income, but you can also do manager missions. Are the manager missions infinite? I bought a property as Trevor and did about five or so missions, but wanted to move the story along. Is there a set number of manager missions with each property? I don't really care about clothes or anything or car mods. What's the best way to go about improving your stats? I haven't really tried stuff like tennis or the shooting range. Is it a grind to improve your stats/skills? Is hunting hard for anyone else? I don't have problems shooting the game, but
the mountain lions and cougars kill you with one hit. It was some PTSD shit when I got taken out by one of them, because I remember them from RDR. But in RDR you at least had a horse that would sacrifice itself for you. The two times I've tried hunting, I've been one shot killed by those bastard cougars

Are missions missable if you don't switch between characters? I tend to stick with what the game gives me. Also,
how do the bailbondsman missions work? I got one as Trevor and was told the guy was last seen at "the quarry" but there's no indication of where that is?

The only thing that has really disturbed me and made me mad with the game and that I thought was really tasteless and just Rockstar just trying to outdo Rockstar is - Cue Impotent Liberal Rage -
There are actual side missions where Trevor goes on rampage killings and the goal is to kill as many people as possible. It just feels icky. The paparazzi stuff does too, but the fact that there are missions that have Trevor turn into a mass rampage shooter is kind of off putting

Raptomex

I really wish they added or will add some form of heist side mission. Planning room, choose from various stores/banks/etc, prepare, crew members, approach, etc. I've completed the game 100% and have no way to make millions. Properties generate money weekly but I want to buy the rest of the properties and properties alone will take too long. The stock market may be the way to go but we really need a tricks guide for that. I did the TacoBomb trick but I didn't make as much money as I thought I would. It's a shame you can't farm the heist missions. Replaying missions doesn't give you more money or affect your stats at all aside from the mission stats towards their respective medals. Plus wish there were more action-based, unlimited, side missions. I just recently learned you can hang out with any of the protagonists and they'll help in a gun fight. So that's cool that I can pretty much "recruit" them. But I wish that feature returned for regular NPCs.

The only thing that has really disturbed me and made me mad with the game and that I thought was really tasteless and just Rockstar just trying to outdo Rockstar is - Cue Impotent Liberal Rage -
There are actual side missions where Trevor goes on rampage killings and the goal is to kill as many people as possible. It just feels icky. The paparazzi stuff does too, but the fact that there are missions that have Trevor turn into a mass rampage shooter is kind of off putting

Eh, it's not like they're not all trying to kill you or anything. V actually had the most tasteful implementation of the Rampage mission yet, if such a thing could ever be called "tasteful". At least you're shooting gang members who're shooting back instead of innocent pedestrians like past games.

Gorillaz

I think this is the first GTA that I wanted to finish the story instead of explore. They really made it engaging this time around

Raptomex

I find it hard to fathom that so many people have never finished the story in all or any of the 3D GTA games. It's like the first thing I focus on. Especially since in past games, progressing through the story unlocks parts of the world and features/side missions.
Any word from Rockstar yet about the custom car issues?
Yeah, really. I finally obtained the
Hydra or the Lazer as this game calls it, got out alive
and I couldn't store it. I have all the hangars.

Top Bottom