• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

I hope they patch the ragdolls. Right now, they feel less weighty than in IV, with arms flailing unnaturally and most corpses going flat. Melee attacks also felt more damaging in IV solely because of the reactions.

border

Awesome. Any particular one's you guys recommend that are more profitable?

http://www.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/Property

None of the properties are really that profitable. Ten Cent Theater earns you $264,000 per week. But it costs 20 million dollars. Which means it will take 76 weeks before you earn back the money you spent on it. I'm not exactly sure how much time 76 weeks translates to in real life, but it seems like it'd be damn near forever.

Seriously this game just gets stupid at some point.

Wish they had treated the story with a little more respect - rather than making it a jokey load of crap.

I've expressed this opinion in other threads, but Red Dead is the more consistent, fun and absorbing creation of R*'s output.

beastmode

Oh I thought you were talking about side missions and stuff. I don't even do the boring ones
It's hard to know which are good or bad until you've after you've done them. E.g. I got a great one from buying the cab company, but all my other properties just give me "drive from point a to b" or "kill these dudes" lame stuff.

That scubaing to collect submarine parts mission should be used as IRL torture. :(

nib95

Banned
http://www.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/Property

None of the properties are really that profitable. Ten Cent Theater earns you $264,000 per week. But it costs 20 million dollars. Which means it will take 76 weeks before you earn back the money you spent on it.

Wow, that sucks. Still, better than nothing...

Really hope Rockstar haven't made earning millions intentionally difficult for further cash money micro transactions. That would seriously piss me off.

Derrick01

Banned

Wish they had treated the story with a little more respect - rather than making it a jokey load of crap.

I've expressed this opinion in other threads, but Red Dead is the more consistent, fun and absorbing creation of R*'s output.

But red dead was in a boring empty desert with nothing to do. You want to watch a movie or play a game?

Acorn

It's hard to know which are good or bad until you've after you've done them. E.g. I got a great one from buying the cab company, but all my other properties just give me "drive from point a to b" or "kill these dudes" lame stuff.

That scubaing to collect submarine parts mission should be used as IRL torture. :(
Good money though.

big_z

How are you supposed to earn credits With the ifruit app? I know waiting slowly earns them but the dog always gets hungry/thirsty which cancels out the few credits earned.

MBS

Banned

R* Games is not one studio. RDR is created by R* San Diego, GTA is created by R* North, former DMA Design which was one of the premier Amiga gaming studios, decades earlier before Rockstar's existence.

It's like telling that GOW and Infamous are both created by SCE, and not from different studios. Rockstar is just the publisher and the only common thing between RDR and GTA.

btkadams

i really don't understand how cars work in this game.

if i upgrade franklin's default car in the los santos customs shop, and then destroy it, will it respawn at his safehouse with the upgrades? are there any other cars that you can get to continuously respawn for a character, or is the default one the only car that functions like that?

3rd heist was absolutely ridiculous,
I must have killed every last policeman in the city, such a stupidly high body count for just 3 guys trapped by heavily armed police attacking them from multiple fronts

I wish there was more building infiltration/corridor shooting, seems like every major gunfight is out in the open and they just throw a ton of enemies at you.

Derrick01

Banned
So I just saw the "scene" and I shouldn't be surprised a bunch of babies got their panties bunched up over something so tame. I guess no one's seen R rated movies before.

I have a hard time figuring out if you're being serious about comparing RDR to a movie. I guess you are :p

It sure as hell had as little gameplay as possible for a AAA game so I'm not sure I'd call it much of a game.

border

Wow, that sucks. Still, better than nothing...

Really hope Rockstar haven't made earning millions intentionally difficult for further cash money micro transactions. That would seriously piss me off.

GTA Online is completely separate from GTA5. I don't think the money you make in the game now is going to transfer over at all to GTA Online.

Question I'm hating GTA traditional aiming how is the assisted aiming ? I want some thing that' isn't so automated. If not I'll go back to free aim.

Is anyone else's stock market not working for Franklin? I can't sell or buy Stock with him. it keeps saying down for maintenance, but it works for the other two.

Acorn

Which? The properties seem like the only thing really worth spending on. So making more money off them is just kinda "eh."

Collectathon mission extraordinaire is for $10 and takes probably an hour to complete. :::(((((
The sub has a cool mission and the very boring nuke waste which is like 28k a can I think.

Cheddahz

Banned
At this rate, I'm debating if I should go for the 100%; there are just too many damn collectibles for my taste (and it doesn't help that the submarine collectibles are a chore to do)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Question I'm hating GTA traditional aiming how is the assisted aiming ? I want some thing that' isn't so automated. If not I'll go back to free aim.

I think it's the same, but without the snap to next target bit. I'd prefer to freeaim, but there's parts of the game that seem built around only assisted aim.

Rizsparky

3rd heist was absolutely ridiculous,
I must have killed every last policeman in the city, such a stupidly high body count for just 3 guys trapped by heavily armed police attacking them from multiple fronts

I wish there was more building infiltration/corridor shooting, seems like every major gunfight is out in the open and they just throw a ton of enemies at you.

Dont worry, you will get alot more confined shooting later on.

cdkee

Banned

While I love RDR, I'll never say it's more fun that GTAV. The missions were mostly terrible. Ride here, talk to this character on the way there, shoot people. Ride away. And the story wasn't some Oscar worthy script either. The premise was good, as was the beginning and end, but there was just so much fluff in the middle. You can say the same about GTA perhaps, but I prefer motorcycles and cars to horses any day.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Here's a list of improvements I want for the next GTA.

Combat. I think aiming is pretty good already but it could be a bit tighter. The big improvement it needs though is the combat jog. Currently the game detects when you're in a firefight and puts you in combat jog mode automatically. Most of the time this works well, but for some reason whenever you're in a small interior location it reverts back to crappy slow walk speed. Make the combat jog work in these situations. And more importantly when you're in combat job mode the aiming cursor should ALWAYS be on the screen. Really encourage Max Payne style run and gunning. Here's another change I want for the combat job. Just make it automatic. Give the player complete control and make it a button toggle. I say map a button to toggle combat jog mode on and off, which makes you move faster and keeps the aiming cursor on the screen all the time.

Cover system could use improvement. I think it does a solid job already but just features like the ability to vault over cover and slide from one cover to the next would improve it and make combat even smoother. As far as vaulting over cover this brings me to something else. I want the ability to quickly slide over low objects while running sleeping dogs style.

Ditch lock on aiming. It's holding the series back. Or at the very least make free aim the default setting and build the game around it.

Health system needs serious tweaking. A simple crash causing me to go through the windshield should never outright kill me unless it's sending me to a massive fall. The way the health system is right now these kind of cheap deaths are common place and they're annoying. Currently you're dying in a few hits and it's very hard to survive long in open combat when messing around. The story missions seem pretty tailored to the low health but when messing around not so much. Deaths are too quick. I'd say at the very least the health bar should regenerate three quaters of the way, not half. It would also be nice if the health regenerated when you're moving as well. Staying still isn't exactly a viable option when police are chasing you. You doing have time for your health to regenerate by staying still. I mean fine if it doesn't regenerate if I'm sprinting but don't punish me for moving for christ sake. I don't want them to make the health too generious since if it's too easy it takes the fun and intensity out of it, but currently it is too punishing.

Wanted system. It takes too long to lost 1 star. At the very least make the cooldown time for losing 1 star shorter. It's annoying accidentally getting a wanted level and then having to put effort in to hiding for a couple minutes. It should be super quick to lose 1 star because 1 star is what you have when you don't want a police chase. I'd also say I want the game to be better when it comes to witnesses calling the police. If I kill somone without a weapon and nobody is there to see it I should NEVER get a wanted level. I also want to visibly see witnesses to my crime call the police. I want to visibly see who called the police. Even if I don't personally see who called the police, I want there to actually be someone that did.

Driving while shooting needs improvement. There's one obvious way to do it. Map a button that toggles the aiming cursor on the screen. Tap a button and that brings up the aiming cursor. Then you can attempt to aim and shoot without having to shoot before there's even anything on screen to aim at.

Collectibles suck in GTA V. Just awful. It's a definite area where many other open world games absolutely destroy GTA V. Reward me for exploring Rockstar! They've made the collectibles so scarce and so ridiculously hard to find that I don't feel rewarded for exploring the map. Collectibles done right in open world games are when you've got easy to find ones, ones that take some effort to find and really hard to find ones. In GTA all you've got is super hard to find ones and they just aren't fun to hunt for. I've been exploring the map thoroughly since I got the game and I've found a total of 2 paper scraps. Tease the player with ones that are reasonable to find. Reward them for it. Reward them even more for those super hard to find ones. Hunting for collectibles is fun in most open world games. Not so in GTA V.

Garage system. Seriously just copy the garage system Saints Row introduced in 2006 for christ sake Rockstar. This is getting embarrassing. If your weapon wheel can allow you to hold god knows how many weapons at once with you never losing them then why can't a garage? I should be able to save an infinite amount of vehicles in my garage and select any one of my saved cars at any time. I should not lose my saved car just for leaving my car when I'm out doing whatever I'm doing. Make me actually want to customise my car. Give me security I won't lose it.

Better ways to make money. Make the properties I buy actually be a good investment. Don't make it a weekly income. Weeks take too long to go by in GTA. Make it a daily income. I should make my money back in a reasonable time. Just look at Vice City Stories. Look how satisfying and more importantly look how beneficial it was to build your empire. Property buying should be good investments. VCS should be the template here. Another money making thing I'd like to see is a return of drug dealing from Chinatown Wars. It was addictive little side thing for you to do and you could make good easy money from it. This could easily be adapted for a 3D GTA.

Well I think I've gone through the main complaints I have for GTA V. There's a bunch of other things I'd like to see improved but these are the main ones and I'm kinda tired now.

Linius

So I just saw the "scene" and I shouldn't be surprised a bunch of babies got their panties bunched up over something so tame. I guess no one's seen R rated movies before.

It sure as hell had as little gameplay as possible for a AAA game so I'm not sure I'd call it much of a game.

I guess we played a different game then. Admitting my love for western movies also influenced my opinion on this game. But there were lots of things to do besides riding your horse trough an empty desert. Really hope we get a new Western game from Rockstar on next gen.

DukeBobby

At this rate, I'm debating if I should go for the 100%; there are just too many damn collectibles for my taste (and it doesn't help that the submarine collectibles are a chore to do)

According to the guide, underwater collectibles (submarine pieces and nuclear waste) aren't required to get 100% completion.

Acorn

I'm still yet to hear regulate by Warren G in this game. Pissing me off, I've heard C Walk 90 times and not heard regulate once.

duckroll

R* Games is not one studio. RDR is created by R* San Diego, GTA is created by R* North, former DMA Design which was one of the premier Amiga gaming studios, decades earlier before Rockstar's existence.

It's like telling that GOW and Infamous are both created by SCE, and not from different studios. Rockstar is just the publisher and the only common thing between RDR and GTA.

This isn't really true. Rockstar North also worked on RDR, it was written by GTA vets led by Dan Houser, and after RDR wrapped up a lot of San Diego staff got integrated into Rockstar North to work on GTA5.

I don't think it's as clear cut as you think it is.

But red dead was in a boring empty desert with nothing to do. You want to watch a movie or play a game?

I respect your opinion a great deal so I'm actually pissed you'd ask a weighted question like that. It was off-the-cuff so I probably shouldn't be so bothered.

Red Dead offered a wealth of things to do, all of which remained very fun without being completely at odds with the world it was set in.

I am struggling to enjoy GTA because it can't decide whether to support it's dedication to photorealism, true-to life physics and well realised characters it's created or it piss it all off with ridiculous design and writing. Linear 'cinematic' mission design, arbitrary failstates and a constriction of the sandbox. The mission design is as weak as GTAIV.

This is more guilty of it's aspirations to movies (or CoD?) if anything.

EDIT: And taking the story missions out entirely? GTA5 does have a far denser set of options to pursue, I just have to do their shitty missions to unlock any of it.

Tourmeta

Also it's probably been said before but I figured today and thought it was really great. You can track your exact progress towards 100% completion on the social club page for GTA5. Just go to the GTA5 site and look at career -> checklist. All the icons with a coloured bar on the side are required and they update to completed status almost instantly as you complete them.

cackhyena

I respect your opinion a great deal so I'm actually pissed you'd ask a weighted question like that. It was off-the-cuff so I probably shouldn't be so bothered.

Red Dead offered a wealth of things to do, all of which remained very fun without being completely at odds with the world it was set in.

I am struggling to enjoy GTA because it can't decide whether to support it's dedication to photorealism, true-to life physics and well realised characters it's created or it piss it all off with ridiculous design and writing. Linear 'cinematic' mission design, arbitrary failstates and a constriction of the sandbox. The mission design is as weak as GTAIV.

This is more guilty of it's aspirations to movies (or CoD?) if anything.

no

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Yea but what about if you've already done all these missions and it's end game?

ihoTzpMzaXK0D.gif

Randdalf

According to the guide, underwater collectibles (submarine pieces and nuclear waste) aren't required to get 100% completion.

Is there any strategy to finding collectibles, like an in-game website with hints or a map, or is it literally just a matter of exploring?

beastmode

The sub has a cool mission and the very boring nuke waste which is like 28k a can I think.
No I'm talking about the one where you have to dive around different spots in the ocean to get pieces of a submarine for a lady.
Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it. There is no payoff for finding the submarine parts at all.

Top Bottom